Just got an SL1.

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Just got an SL1.Reply
Just got an SL1.
Posted on: 18.11.2011 by Audrey Pinda
Sorry, had to post my excitement.

Been fucking around with it all evening , and taking it easy now because people are sleeping.

But I can't explain my delight in finally owning the setup that I've dreamed about. And finally being able to waste hours making terrible transitions to help teach myself more.

Because fucking around with friend's gear is all well and good, but really that time dedication isn't there to help you get good (and none of my roommates have ever had setups lol).

But, suffice to say, I know what I'll be doing with my free time from here on out.

A lot less time on community s

And it took me awhile to decide between Traktor and Serato... and honestly, I'm really just happy I decided on Serato. It was the first software I was introduced to, and it just feels natural.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by bmwnutfrombirth
Dude, why the hell haven't I thought of that! Genius! And it replicates turning around to dig for records ;-)
Yep. I stole it from a guy on DJF (Jason Cerna) in one of his gig pics. Seemed like a great idea. The only issue is making sure that the cable's not too long for USB 1.1
Dorie Scelzo
Dude, why the hell haven't I thought of that! Genius! And it replicates turning around to dig for records ;-)
Yep. I stole it from a guy on DJF (Jason Cerna) in one of his gig pics. Seemed like a great idea. The only issue is making sure that the cable's not too long for USB 1.1
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Dorie Scelzo
Tatum Ansaldo
my coffin case cost a bomb (about
Dorie Scelzo
Tatum Ansaldo
Dorie Scelzo
Tatum Ansaldo
Dorie Scelzo
Wei Lebeaux
Originally Posted by mostapha
That was my second favorite way to spin. Favorite was having the computer behind me with a long USB cable.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Bassline Brine
Serato syncs really well with my iTunes playlists, which is invaluable to me.
That's one thing I missed in Traktor instantly.

SSL's winning for a 3rd time after a 2-year stint with computers because it's GUI is still way less ugly than Traktor, it does everything I want, and playlist management is way simpler. I'm not even going to have a controller available for looping, and I just don't care.

I'm really looking forward to it (probably picking the stuff up tomorrow).

Originally Posted by JesC
i like that you have the laptop off to the side and you focus on the 2 decks & the 56.
That was my second favorite way to spin. Favorite was having the computer behind me with a long USB cable.
Tatum Ansaldo
Rhona Naron
Congrats dude. I've got the same setup but with an Empath =D loving the 56 though, always wanted one.

Had Traktor as my first pick due to effects and then sample decks (which Serato ended up getting anyways).
Had it for a couple of years and was decently happy with it.
Then got 2.2.1 and it just shit the bed.

Went out got a used SL1 box for cheap, bought a pair of control vinyl and man am I ever happy! It feels better, looks better (though I wish there was an option to perhaps tweak the colour scheme), and instantly I felt the vinyl control was much more tight and responsive.
Only thing I wish for Serato is if it would send midi messages so that my Kontrol X1 would light up, but I'm by no means heartbroken over it can definitely live without it.
Dorie Scelzo
Miloje Savic
Congrats man... enjoy... u gonna love it!
Wei Lebeaux
Originally Posted by mostapha
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Bassline Brine
Serato syncs really well with my iTunes playlists, which is invaluable to me.
That's one thing I missed in Traktor instantly.

SSL's winning for a 3rd time after a 2-year stint with computers because it's GUI is still way less ugly than Traktor, it does everything I want, and playlist management is way simpler. I'm not even going to have a controller available for looping, and I just don't care.

I'm really looking forward to it (probably picking the stuff up tomorrow).

Originally Posted by JesC
i like that you have the laptop off to the side and you focus on the 2 decks & the 56.
Cristian Carmona
congrats on joining the dark side. i like that you have the laptop off to the side and you focus on the 2 decks & the 56.
Audrey Pinda
I really enjoy Serato. The only thing I wish it had, was a controller that I could use like the S4 and still have vinyl control, but be portable when I didn't want to move everything. But it doesn't look like that's on the drawing table, so I'm not too worried.

I was caught up for a long time deciding between Traktor and Serato. And for me, what it comes down to...

If you're using a controller (and/or sync), Traktor is probably the best option. ITCH is nice, but I believe Traktor still has it trumped on the techy side of things. One of my best friends whom I get together with all the time has both Torq (for when he's using his tables, and which he bought first) and then Traktor for his controller.

I like it a lot, it's pretty intuitive. But for DVS use, I don't see the need for some of the stuff. But for a controller with all of the button's close at hand, it's pretty sweet. He can beatmatch by ear but chooses to use sync because he layers alot of stuff fairly often.

I even just helped a buddy who's getting started with his own gear, who basically learned on Serato, get Traktor and an SCS3 system. I believe it's going to take him to the next level, and it was in his price range (which was the most important thing).

For me though, I don't like making it too complicated. I'll loop some, that's why I have the dicers now, but other than that... it's honestly pretty simple. I like working on beatmatching, and I really like the feel of the moving platters on the 1200's. It just keeps me in the groove. If I didn't have to worry about that stuff, while it could be nice, I also believe I'd lose my groove a lot more often. That, and Serato syncs really well with my iTunes playlists, which is invaluable to me.

It's a great debate. I've thought about switching over to Traktor already because now two of my closest friends are using it, and my buddy who got me started with Serato moved 3 hours away... but I like what Serato is doing. It's not fancy, I haven't had any issues with it. I like how it looks, and it does everything (and more already) that I probably won't even mess with.

... and if I get bored, I like playing pong.

:P
Brendan Kerkvliet
Im seriously believeing of moving to Serato. I like traktor and am really used to it, but I dont use to it's fullest. This new updates that coming out on Traktor kinda pushes me away a bit more as well. I know I'm never going to use those features. We'll see what happens.
Audrey Pinda
Yeah that was my big thing. A couple good buddies of mine have had turntables for awhile now, and so I learned from what they have. They both have coffin's because they also prefer to use it on a stand and just for keeping everything together easy. But I've also had to move them in/out of apartments and it's a wicked pain. Without two people, it's not really safe (for you or the gear I feel).

I haven't really had to move my shit yet, but I'm personally happy that I can move it all individually if I need to. My boy and I are planning on starting a small bass evening locally, and we'll end up using my tables most likely, so it's nice to know that it'll be easy to set-up.
Tatum Ansaldo
Audrey Pinda
The cases were honestly more expensive than what I was expecting lol. I hadn't budgeted/planned for them at all.

They were about $100 each. So $300 total for mixer and two turntable cases. Which, compared to a coffin, is about right. I bought them new as well (which is the only thing I've bought new in my setup) so that was a kicker there as well. It's hard to find individual cases on their own used.

But I'm quite happy with them as well
Sherry Nyblom
I like your TT cases so much.... I wonder how much are they these days ?
Golden Faubert
congrats, but damn....... that i a seriously sweer set-up! very jealous
Tanner Adis
Actually I went back to Serato as well. While traktor is feature heavy, i never used half the stuff. For what I do serato is more than enough. Plus the wave form view is so much better that I can mix without headphones when practicing.
Carey Gay
smart move going with the individual cases. merely for the sake of being able to move your gear solo. I have my 1200s and a djm 400 in a coffin. its really great for ease of setup --- all i need to hook up is power supply and my audio out -- but impossible to move a full coffin solo style when you live on the second floor of a building.
im looking to trade my coffin for a set of cases now haha
Audrey Pinda
To the first couple replies: Thanks guys Yeah it wasn't an easy choice going with Serato over Traktor, especially with all the hype here. But I went with my gut, which has served me well so far. At some point I plan on messing about seriously with Traktor, but not for awhile yet.

Originally Posted by haze324
I know this is a controller heavy community , and I'm all for that too ------ but man two 1200's, a rane mixer, and SSL is fucking sexy. Congrats man, enjoy.
Yeah, I do realize it's a controller heavy community . Actually looking into controllers and learning from this site and DJcommunity s is what made me realize that while I may want a controller in the future... I really just NEED actual TT's for personal satisfaction while learning.

I actually have been pretty active in the community s for the past couple years, and it's taken me that long to save up for the exact setup I dreamed about. I could have gone with a cheaper controller sooner (I did have an X-Session Pro) but I would have always wanted something more. Now I'm at the point where I'm going to be perfectly happy with what I have for a long time.

There's something amazingly sexy about turntables, and it's something that's hard to put into words. When I power up the "robot", a stupid grin just comes to my face every time.

Originally Posted by smittten
Do you have a bag for all of this?
Well considering most of it is in Road Ready cases, and the rest can fit into a backpack if I need to... I believe I'm pretty well set. I don't believe there is a "bag" to fit all of this into, and nor would I want to carry said bag either.

Went with individual cases over a coffin because I had a chance to help move a couple friend's coffin's, and the fuckers are heavy as shit, even without anything in them.

At least this way if I want/need to break down my setup for whatever reason, I can move everything on my own. (Albeit it might take a couple trips). I'm still learning though, so I imagine it will be a bit before I really have the need to do that.

But no, I don't have a "bag" that will fit all of this :P
Len Lukawski
Do you have a bag for all of this?
Julissa Serrone
I know this is a controller heavy community , and I'm all for that too ------ but man two 1200's, a rane mixer, and SSL is fucking sexy. Congrats man, enjoy.
Rena Estabrook
Nice! Great feeling finally getting it all together.
Kristofer Krauel
Hope you enjoy it man. This was my first experience with a DVS and I absolutely loved it every time I played!!
Vickey Fransway
Congrats man! For the most part I agree SSL is still my software of choice though I have a lot of fun playing with Traktor!

Xpozur

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy