SSL Mixers: Which allow for the best navigation of the software?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: SSL Mixers: Which allow for the best navigation of the software?Reply
SSL Mixers: Which allow for the best navigation of the software?
Posted on: 28.04.2012 by Evelia Mcgaffin
Looking for some education here.

Mixers such as the Rane Sixty-One/Two have the serato soundcard integrated within them, and don't need the SL box. This is a huge advantage, and to me it's one less piece of hardware to lug around. The biggest advantage that I see coming from serato-based mixers is that software control can be done directly from the hardware itself, and not the computer.

I'll expand on why I like this. I currently run an NS7 + ITCH, and the mixer section has a nice little section over the EQs that allows for software navigation. This includes an awesome knob (tactility, size, spacing are all incredible), navigational buttons such as 'crate' and 'load' and of course 'load a/b' buttons. The NS6 has something very similar. Here are some snapshots:

NS6.jpg

NS7.jpg

Essentially, the only time I'm touching my MacBook Pro is when I'm actually searching for a song on with my keyboard. This is HUGE. I cannot tell you how much of a step backwards it would be for me to 'upgrade' to SSL and have to use the fucking trackpad to drag tracks onto decks A&B. This may sound fickle, but trust me; muscle memory has ensured the software navigation panel is now an extension of my hand and I can EASILY pull any track in my crates in a matter of seconds. If you are going to try and disagree with me and tell me that fiddlefucking around on the trackpad is just as good and is just a mild inconvenience that all SSL users have to embrace, then don't bother with a reply.

So, for those of you who can understand what users want in terms of SSL-integration; what mixer best fits the bill? $ is no object.
Evelia Mcgaffin
Originally Posted by thisisdjkaz
Hi B Linus,

I get what you mean, the quick navigation is great on the NS7. From your description I believe the Rane Sixty-Two would fit nicely into your new set-up. It has navigation for deck on the top corners of the mixer. It also has cue point buttons built in as well as loop functions and sample triggers. All these features and it only takes up one USB slot. It's expensive but since money is no object it may well be the ideal mixer you are looking for.
The sixty-two/one or the TTM57 are what I'm narrowing my search down to. Just looking to fiddle around with them hands-on to get an idea of what the tactility is like.
Audrey Pinda
Originally Posted by mostapha
I'm not convinced there are that many people using Effects in SSL. Certainly not like the people who mangle songs with Traktor.
Very true. I find most people that tend to lean toward Serato generally have a lot invested into their setups, and most likely will have mixers with on-board FX. Having a scratch mixer though, it's nice having them available in the software until the time I can switch the mixer up
Stefania Herb
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
dicers are great at what they do but you can't browse and load with them.
you can browse and load with dicers ... you have to custom map them using the second function on dice 2, 3, 4 ,5
Jacqulyn Erbst
Originally Posted by B Linus
Dicers are definitely on the list for gear in the new setup, but I'd rather designate them towards what they were meant to do...looping/cueing.
like some said already the dicers have two unmapped shift sections where you could browse load and do fx. i use mine with samples also too. you have twenty mappable buttons! ten on each dicer js. and for a 100 too and they fit perfectly on your tts js.
Jacqulyn Erbst
Originally Posted by lucasmanning
novation dicers ?
+1 thats what i said a couple of posts back but nobody cares lol
Evelia Mcgaffin
Originally Posted by thisisdjkaz
Hi B Linus,

I get what you mean, the quick navigation is great on the NS7. From your description I believe the Rane Sixty-Two would fit nicely into your new set-up. It has navigation for deck on the top corners of the mixer. It also has cue point buttons built in as well as loop functions and sample triggers. All these features and it only takes up one USB slot. It's expensive but since money is no object it may well be the ideal mixer you are looking for.
The sixty-two/one or the TTM57 are what I'm narrowing my search down to. Just looking to fiddle around with them hands-on to get an idea of what the tactility is like.
Fe Kuchma
Hi B Linus,

Audrey Pinda
I'm not convinced there are that many people using Effects in SSL. Certainly not like the people who mangle songs with Traktor.
Very true. I find most people that tend to lean toward Serato generally have a lot invested into their setups, and most likely will have mixers with on-board FX. Having a scratch mixer though, it's nice having them available in the software until the time I can switch the mixer up
Spencer Kilcoyne
Before diving into the Konix thread - is there a PC equivalent to the midipipe hack?
Leigh Dollyhigh
for me the X1 is amazing. relativly small unit, can load the thing with 2 pages of controls by just using the shift button to navigate scrolling, loops, loop rolls, cues, setting screen layouts, switching between internal, relative, abs, total control of all effect parameters. one thing im not sure on though, is how to load 2 effects to one channel (for example using a delay, and a high pass filter on deck a)

and yes, the unit doesnt light up like a christmas tree to start, but its relativly easy to do so. if you have trouble though, go on the serato community s and find konixs big thread for the x1. once its set up, all you need to do is load the contrller editor before using serato each time.
Stefania Herb
and dont forget the ttm 57sl can let you browse and load
Stefania Herb
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
you can browse and load with dicers ... you have to custom map them using the second function on dice 2, 3, 4 ,5
Jacqulyn Erbst
Originally Posted by B Linus
Dicers are definitely on the list for gear in the new setup, but I'd rather designate them towards what they were meant to do...looping/cueing.
like some said already the dicers have two unmapped shift sections where you could browse load and do fx. i use mine with samples also too. you have twenty mappable buttons! ten on each dicer js. and for a 100 too and they fit perfectly on your tts js.
Dorie Scelzo
I mean…there are 2 shifted pages worth of un-mapped controls on the things.
Evelia Mcgaffin
Dorie Scelzo
well…you could if you mapped them to do it. I was doing that with my lpd8 for a little while. But it's effing clunky compared to vinyl scroll.
Tatum Ansaldo
Jacqulyn Erbst
Originally Posted by lucasmanning
novation dicers ?
+1 thats what i said a couple of posts back but nobody cares lol
Vikki Jeannoel
novation dicers ?
Dorie Scelzo
Audrey Pinda
I've had some luck with an LPD8 (or the top of my MPKmini, which is the same thing basically) as well. You need to play around a bit with mapping, but yeah. Mapping in Serato is stupidly simple anyhow, though you can't really get all that advanced.

I'm honestly pretty surprised that there hasn't been an update to the Denon unit that also incorporates FX. I'm sure there would be a huge market for it.
Evelia Mcgaffin
Heh
Jacqulyn Erbst
i have the dicers which i mapped it if that counts.
Tatum Ansaldo
It amazes me really.
Dorie Scelzo
Heh…the hc-1000 is still on top for SSL? That thing's been around forever.

Not a bad thing, necessarily. Also a little cheaper than the X1. Unfortunately, nothing to control effects (because it was designed before SSL had effects).
Tatum Ansaldo
The LEDs on the X1 don't work with SSL though, unless you use midipipe which a pain in the ass. The denon is a better bet as it's well labelled and automaps to serato. Don't get me wrong, the X1 is excellent for traktor, but until SSL sorts out its lack of midi out there are better options.
Spencer Kilcoyne
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
Check out the denon hc1000.
Or even better, the Kontrol X1 - it works with both Traktor and Serato, and I beleive it's also lighter and has a smaller footprint than the HC1000
Evelia Mcgaffin
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
You are a man I love.
Rebbecca Fennell

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy