DJing with sync, mixing in/handover

Home :: General Discussion :: DJing with sync, mixing in/handoverReply
DJing with sync, mixing in/handover
Posted on: 17.11.2013 by Monroe Vandeslunt
So if you did not know how to beatmatch and relied on sync. How do you mix into the previous DJ?

It has only occurred to me recently after all these years that if you rocked up with your controller and only knew how to press the sync button to beatmatch you could not flawlessly mix into the last tune.

Unless you at least knew some rudimentary basics of beatmatching.

So I am a bit confused on how all these DJ's who rely on sync do this?
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by dripstep
7 pages of sync debate, I'm impressed this is still going. If you want to use sync, do it. If you don't, don't, and if you want to use it half the time, use it the other half instead.
finally someone who believes outside the box. i agree with dripstep, what is the need of debating about this? sync is there as an option and not something required. people are not forcing you to use it. use sync or dont, thats it. how complicated could it be?
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by JZed
I've seen a lot of higher end DJs sync all 4 decks when they're playing and I really don't have a problem with it. However, I believe the "it saves me more time to do other stuff" is just sort of a cop out. Unless said person is doing a lot more than just playing tracks like using MIDI pads such as the F1 or Maschine to add tons of hits and FX to their mix like Richie Hawtin or Dubfire, then I really can't see that being overly justified.
I feel you, it's not using sync that get's me, it's the excuses for using it that do. Guys like Richie and Dubfire are long established and are real performers. I can't see a novice DJ needing "so much time for creativity" when all he's doing is trying to play two songs at once and use a high/lowpass filter at the same time so they and make a good song sound like shit.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by Kwal
I just don't see how sync "makes room for creativity" what is it that it's making time for? Honest question really.

It literally takes me seconds to manually beatmatch, and I do on occasion spin 4 decks at once. I still manage to find myself having moments where there's nothing to do but let the music play. Maybe I'm just not getting intricate enough in my mixes I guess.
I've seen a lot of higher end DJs sync all 4 decks when they're playing and I really don't have a problem with it. However, I believe the "it saves me more time to do other stuff" is just sort of a cop out. Unless said person is doing a lot more than just playing tracks like using MIDI pads such as the F1 or Maschine to add tons of hits and FX to their mix like Richie Hawtin or Dubfire, then I really can't see that being overly justified.
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by DJSigma
This used to be said so much on DJ Forums that it became a complete joke.

The sync crowd would first contradict themselves by saying "beatmatching is easy to learn anyway and it only takes a few seconds to beatmatch 2 records" (so why not learn it then?), but then they would follow it up with the old "I have more free time to be creative!", except when asked for examples, all they could come up with was videos of other DJs on YouTube, rather than anything they had actually created.

People who say that are largely lazy bastards who wanted to skip the basics and that soon becomes apparent when you listen to their shitty mixes. There are a few exceptions, but considering the number of mixes I check out from other DJs on a weekly basis, I know that it really is just a few. If sync didn't exist, a lot of them wouldn't be DJs in the first place, and that includes a bunch of the folks that post on here.
Spot on!
Daysi Marcon
I played out about 6 months ago. Buddy convinced me to play as it was a team DJ's thing. I had minimal time to practice on his CDJ's. Had only ever really played on Traktor with a controller, and sync, obviously.

Train wrecked a ton.

But it drove me to put a lot more effort into practicing.

If you start with sync, and don't have to work at it, you believe your shit sounds good when it doesn't.

Learn the craft.
Lawana Mileto
Yeah this thread was never meant to be a debate about sync unfortunately it went into the whole sync debate.

Which is a pointless one, it will be used, and I have no issue with it.

It started as the OP asking about how to mix into the last DJ if you can only use sync or something like that.

To which the best answer is learn to beatmatch manually.
Sherrell Dargenio
It's not a debate about syncing so much as it is covering all your angles so you're a DJ and not just a guy who mixes songs. These are two very different things. Similar too, I play drums but I'm not a drummer.
Sonja Roybal
It doesn't seem like a debate to me. Just people saying what they believe about beatmatching.
Hellen Mindrup
If anyone is impressed it's me
Yong Aptekar
Sorry Kwal, I'm new here, just pointing out how impressed I am, and then gave my take on the dead horse that is the sync debate. Carry on.
Hellen Mindrup
It's a community , we come here to discuss and debate. Sorry mates.
Rufus Ondrick
Originally Posted by dripstep
7 pages of sync debate, I'm impressed this is still going. If you want to use sync, do it. If you don't, don't, and if you want to use it half the time, use it the other half instead.
finally someone who believes outside the box. i agree with dripstep, what is the need of debating about this? sync is there as an option and not something required. people are not forcing you to use it. use sync or dont, thats it. how complicated could it be?
Yong Aptekar
Sonja Roybal
The guys that get me are the ones that use sync to keep hitting cue points on every 16th and the shit they're doing is no different than if you just blended the 2 tracks and let them do their thing. Or the guys that just loop hats over a track forever. Why? I swear they do it just to make it look like they're actually doing something.
Hellen Mindrup
I feel you, it's not using sync that get's me, it's the excuses for using it that do. Guys like Richie and Dubfire are long established and are real performers. I can't see a novice DJ needing "so much time for creativity" when all he's doing is trying to play two songs at once and use a high/lowpass filter at the same time so they and make a good song sound like shit.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by Kwal
I just don't see how sync "makes room for creativity" what is it that it's making time for? Honest question really.

It literally takes me seconds to manually beatmatch, and I do on occasion spin 4 decks at once. I still manage to find myself having moments where there's nothing to do but let the music play. Maybe I'm just not getting intricate enough in my mixes I guess.
Ryann Conforti
Ehm, use tap-tempo? shouldn't be so hard...
Hellen Mindrup

Osvaldo Newhall

The sync crowd would first contradict themselves by saying "beatmatching is easy to learn anyway and it only takes a few seconds to beatmatch 2 records" (so why not learn it then?), but then they would follow it up with the old "I have more free time to be creative!", except when asked for examples, all they could come up with was videos of other DJs on YouTube, rather than anything they had actually created.

People who say that are largely lazy bastards who wanted to skip the basics and that soon becomes apparent when you listen to their shitty mixes. There are a few exceptions, but considering the number of mixes I check out from other DJs on a weekly basis, I know that it really is just a few. If sync didn't exist, a lot of them wouldn't be DJs in the first place, and that includes a bunch of the folks that post on here.
Spot on!
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
facebook is what get's you gigs in commercial clubs, friends get you gigs in underground clubs not mixes... Production will get you in either. I believe it stands to reason that a lot of promoters don't know what they're doing, but there are many that know exactly what is going on, and it's your job to recognize and work with the good ones,

Speaking from experience of witnessing it multiple times in underground clubs if you can't beatmatch and use cdj's your not going to get the gig, and will have to work in crappy bars that have no idea and no audience, you will probably be their flavour of the week and might last a month before getting replaced because you didn't bring people in their shitty little club like they hoped.

My suggestion is to just learn to use the standard gear to avoid having to go through that.
Alphonso Deitchman
Beatmatching and phrasing go hand in hand. If you're paying close attention to your cue-in point and how one track sounds against the other, you'll soon get a better feel for the phrasing in a track.
Gaynell Rydberg
I have faith in club owners that they know their business will suck ass if the DJ they hire sucks.

The idiots who can't tell if their mixes are shit because of autosync won't get anywhere anyways. If their phrasing sucks, beatmatching won't make it any better. Even once they perfect beatmatching, it doesn't mean that the mix will be good. That's the whole point I'm trying to make.

Usually the mixes are bad because of EQing, phrasing, etc. All of which are independent of beatmatching.

I'm not saying people shouldn't learn beatmatching. I'm just saying that the "sync -> your mix sucks because you don't beatmatch" is retarded.
Lina Rawie
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
If they have poor song selection, phrasing, and everything, it's not like good beatmatching will make it sound great.
The problem is, there are absolutely tons of n00bs who can't really tell that their mix is shit because of autosync. If they had to beatmatch manually, they would be trainwrecking all over the place and they wouldn't post up their mixes so soon. You get folks posting up their first mixes literally days after owning their first ever DJ set up now. It's a joke. There was one guy on DJ Forums who posted his first mix after owning his first ever DJ setup for 3 hours and he asked "do I have room to improve?", lol. Needless to say, his mix was a bag of shite, but it should be after 3 hours of practice in total.

These same folks are out trying to secure gigs too. You hear about it all the time - people going out to a bar or club and the DJ is some n00b with a controller who doesn't really know WTF he's doing, but he's there because he's either got the gift of the gab, he's DJing for free, or both.

Because these n00bs see other n00bs doing it, they believe "well, why should I wait?" and so the cycle continues. It's why the Mix Subs section of DJ Forums is as good as worthless now, and it's why tons of people were asking for it to be split into 2 sections.

The number of people actually using modern DJ gear to do something fresh and new is absolutely tiny. The vast, vast majority are making mixes that are no different to what mix DJs were doing before CDJs even existed, never mind sync, only to them it's more about preparing their tracks in advance so that software can replace basic skills like beatmatching and setting gains. Shit is wack (and I never say "wack" being English, haha, but it really is.)
Gaynell Rydberg
Actually, I don't believe that's true. Even when sync first came out, when I was leaving feedback on mixes on DJ Forums I would add "you used autosync for this right?" on mixes where I could tell they used sync and there was never once a case where the guy replied "no, I manually beatmatched". Often they would ask "how did you know?".

The telltale sign is perfect beatmatching, but poor to mediocre everything else. SoundCloud is riddled with mixes like that and so is the mix section of every DJ community these days. It is the main reason why I don't really bother trying to search out good mixes these days - manually I mean. I tend to go to blogs where someone else has filtered out the good ones, I check them out based on recommendations from friends, or I follow DJs that I know are good and grab their new stuff.
I'm not talking about those mixes. I'm talking about mixes where everything is good. You will never know if they use sync or are excellent beatmatchers.

If they have poor song selection, phrasing, and everything, it's not like good beatmatching will make it sound great.
Lina Rawie
you can't tell whether or not someone is using sync unless they were to straight up tell you. You can only tell if someone is a bad beatmatcher...
Actually, I don't believe that's true. Even when sync first came out, when I was leaving feedback on mixes on DJ Forums I would add "you used autosync for this right?" on mixes where I could tell they used sync and there was never once a case where the guy replied "no, I manually beatmatched". Often they would ask "how did you know?".

The telltale sign is perfect beatmatching, but poor to mediocre everything else. SoundCloud is riddled with mixes like that and so is the mix section of every DJ community these days. It is the main reason why I don't really bother trying to search out good mixes anymore - manually I mean. I tend to go to blogs where someone else has filtered out the good ones, I check them out based on recommendations from friends, or I follow DJs that I know are good and grab their new stuff.
Lawana Mileto
Ok I believe we are getting stuck on the whole sync issue which is missing the point of the majority of this thread.

I havent argued against the use of SYNC and wouldn't if you want to use it then fine go ahead.

The point of which I've argued in this thread is the inability or should I say laziness of some, who cannot or don't want to learn how to beat match. Which I see as a basic fundamental.

And like was said earlier in the thread, if you are going to be playing out, you need to know how to beat match to mix into the last DJ, if you only you use sync and have never beat matched manually then your up shit creek, unless you want to kill the flow, which I'm personally against unless it's the headliner, and theres a slight gap for applause.

And the whole arguement about freeing you up to do other more creative stuff is a crock of shit, what, what could you possibly be doing apart from maybe f*ckin about with FX or looping stuff.
Gaynell Rydberg
Sync only lets you bypass beatmatching, no other basics... you can't tell whether or not someone is using sync unless they were to straight up tell you. You can only tell if someone is a bad beatmatcher...

Maybe a person isn't the best beatmatcher, but they might be brilliant at song selection and phrasing. Or maybe they come up with some excellent mash ups on the fly. Embrace sync or don't embrace it. Just don't bash it. It's here to stay.
Lina Rawie
The whole point of sync is to free you up to do other things.

Gaynell Rydberg
The whole point of sync is to free you up to do other things. If you're getting bored with sync, it is because aren't using sync for the right reasons.

There's no reason to not embrace the technology there.
Darius Moyle
Hi everyone. I just switched to traktor from learning to DJ on the iPad app DJay + controller.

Now I'm not a fan of sync, but I am guilty of using the BPM calculator to set tracks to the same tempo. Now I have a massive library that is growing everyday, if you don't use a BPM calculator to see which tracks are in the same range, how do you keep up with them all?

Also I find it hard sometimes when mixing in the headphones to determine which track is 'early' when the kicks / hats are very similar. Is it just practice that lets you determine the difference to say "Oh, it's track A that's behind let me slide the jog wheel a little bit". Or do you sort of move one to see which way it goes and then send it in the right direction? If the channels were split into left and right in the headphones I could do it but when they are blended it just seems too similar
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by FilthyDave
I personally believe this is a crock of shit

DJ'ing is 90% tune selection, 10% skills. If they are rocking the floor it doesn't matter how they are doing it

I was solely vinyl from 1997 to 2010 when I moved on to Traktor

Do I use sync? Yes I f**king do! It's easier and I'm a lazy sod. Why would I waste time and make things harder for myself?
If you believe that DJing is just 10% skill, then you're the one talking crock shit here. DJing is 90% you say? You must be a jukebox? Or maybe a jokebox.

You're claiming to have been spun with records for more than a decade and yet still have a hard time beat matching manually? Then you must really suck that's why you opted to use sync instead. You proudly say that you're lazy and beat matching is a waste of time, that's just one of the shitty reasons people like you say when they can't do it properly.

I've spun with vinyl for nearly 20 years and have gone to Traktor too in 2010 but still uses time code vinyl and CD without the aid of sync. Because sync is so f*cking boring to me and to many other DJs as well.
Sherrell Dargenio
Originally Posted by amadeus
Yeah I believe as technology progresses making it easier etc I believe a lot of the fundamentals will be lost. I'm not saying everyone is the same, but if it were me starting to DJ now, I would want to know about it's history etc learn the basics before anything else. But maybe because thats just the type of person I am.

I believe if you are truly serious about DJing and want to do regular gigs etc then you need to be the most rounded DJ you can be.

I don't see technology as a bad thing at all, I've used traktor in the past with a controller, with timecode but I went back to spinning straight vinyl again which is where I started. Purely because I enjoy it more, and I like buying vinyl.

It seems like people want to get playing in clubs as quickly as possible, before they've really learnt everything.

There's no rush, I DJ'd for 4 years before I got to play in a club, learn as much as you can before you do. You will continue to learn when you start playing in clubs too, but don't leave learning to beat match to a club environment.
I believe those who are truly passionate about something will always learn more than what's on the surface. Those are the people who will set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd and when it's time to shine, they will.
I'm still a home DJ, played a few live gigs and one with my biggest influence to start even. Always learning, even when it gets tedious.
Lawana Mileto
They should but as times change and technology makes everything easier, putting effort into things instead of letting computers do the work seems to be a lost art. I'm still rough at it, takes me a bit longer to get it than you guys but before every practice session, a manual beatmatch to a set is how I start off. Little by little!
Yeah I believe as technology progresses making it easier etc I believe a lot of the fundamentals will be lost. I'm not saying everyone is the same, but if it were me starting to DJ now, I would want to know about it's history etc learn the basics before anything else. But maybe because thats just the type of person I am.

I believe if you are truly serious about DJing and want to do regular gigs etc then you need to be the most rounded DJ you can be.

I don't see technology as a bad thing at all, I've used traktor in the past with a controller, with timecode but I went back to spinning straight vinyl again which is where I started. Purely because I enjoy it more, and I like buying vinyl.

It seems like people want to get playing in clubs as quickly as possible, before they've really learnt everything.

There's no rush, I DJ'd for 4 years before I got to play in a club, learn as much as you can before you do. You will continue to learn when you start playing in clubs too, but don't leave learning to beat match to a club environment.
Sherrell Dargenio
The learn to beatmatch wasn't aimed at you just a comment.

The first bit of my comment was referring to your post. Like I said, I dont see why you need to ask about BPM, cue up your song, mix it in, to be honest, you can get a ball park figure by listening.

Most of the DJs I play with, use vinyl, I know none of them mark BPMs, most CDJs will give you a rough BPM, hell most mixers will. I don't believe not knowing BPM is a huge problem, if you can mix, then mix, it only becomes a problem when someone who only uses sync, and cannot mix without the aids of BPM/phase meter etc

If you are going to be getting gigs on the regular, where you are not the only DJ on the evening , then you need to know how to beatmatch, its simple. It's a fundamental part of DJing.

People should want to cover all the angles,
They should but as times change and technology makes everything easier, putting effort into things instead of letting computers do the work seems to be a lost art. I'm still rough at it, takes me a bit longer to get it than you guys but before every practice session, a manual beatmatch to a set is how I start off. Little by little!
Lawana Mileto
I don't know if that's directed at me on in general, but I can and I don't find it that difficult tbh. I'm just saying, I don't see it being a big deal to ask unless it's a big name, then I'd want to prove I can do it on my own. I've spent enough time beatmatching to sets at random BPMs playing off my computer to make sure I never end up in an embarrassing scenario. Unfortunately, not everybody wants to cover all their angles.
The learn to beatmatch wasn't aimed at you just a comment.

The first bit of my comment was referring to your post. Like I said, I dont see why you need to ask about BPM, cue up your song, mix it in, to be honest, you can get a ball park figure by listening.

Most of the DJs I play with, use vinyl, I know none of them mark BPMs, most CDJs will give you a rough BPM, hell most mixers will. I don't believe not knowing BPM is a huge problem, if you can mix, then mix, it only becomes a problem when someone who only uses sync, and cannot mix without the aids of BPM/phase meter etc

If you are going to be getting gigs on the regular, where you are not the only DJ on the evening , then you need to know how to beatmatch, its simple. It's a fundamental part of DJing.

People should want to cover all the angles,
Sherrell Dargenio
I only play vinyl, and tbh I don't put bpms on my records, nor do I use a bpm counter. I mainly play with other DJs who also use vinyl, never asked about BPM, I just mix the next record in, why is it any different with different formats.

Seriously though, if you can't mix into the previous DJ then you really need to learn how to, it's a basic skill that all DJs should know, I can mix into someone playing CD or using a controller, so for someone using one of those formats not being able to mix into me, bit of a joke.

Learn to beatmatch.
I don't know if that's directed at me on in general, but I can and I don't find it that difficult tbh. I'm just saying, I don't see it being a big deal to ask unless it's a big name, then I'd want to prove I can do it on my own. I've spent enough time beatmatching to sets at random BPMs playing off my computer to make sure I never end up in an embarrassing scenario. Unfortunately, not everybody wants to cover all their angles.
Jenna Skeem
I believe that calculator metaphor thingy is absalotleey spot on. Weve had elecronic calculators since te 80's yet in schools they still teach kids how to do maths in their head like times tables etc.. This makes it easier in the long run for the kids to understand the concepts of what maths is about. The same should be applied to DJing, there is absaloutley nothing wrong with using sync but if you can't beatmatch two tracks together without it then your understanding of Dj'ing/Mixing as a whole concept is fundementally flawed.
Masako Barcalow
Before I got a residency at the club I play at on Fridays, I opened for the previous resident. I had to beatmatch his first track into my last one because he didn't know how. He's no longer the resident there

Learning to beatmatch literally can only help you. If you like using Sync, great. Use it. But when there comes a time you need to do it by ear (and if you're playing out, it will!), you'll be glad you learned it!
Kenda Raedel
Originally Posted by FilthyDave

That said I do believe you should learn how to beatmatch as Traktor never gets the beatgrids 100% and sometimes it's wildly out .
I feel like traktor is a control freak sometimes

Traktor: "let me do this for you"
Me: "that's okay I got this"
Traktor: "I believe you want me to do this"
Me: "nope you're messing me up"
Traktor: "I believe I can help"
Me: "stop! you are totally screwing this up:
Traktor: "yes...but the beat grid?"
Me: "I don't care"
Traktor: "...but"
Me:"stop! You're embarrassing me"
Lakeesha Storman
Ironically, my last two club visits have had trainwreck transitions. One being when Oakenfold took over and the BPM dropped considerably and not nicely on the ears. Everyone kind of stopped, looked at each other and went, WTF?

The last time was this past weekend with a local DJ and it was a BIG trainwreck with again everyone looking around going WTF?

Oakenfold obviously was forgiven by the crowd, we didn't stick around long enough for the local DJ. (they were spinning older, classic house upstairs which is my wheel house)

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy