Can we mod Vestax Spin and Serato DJ Intro

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Can we mod Vestax Spin and Serato DJ IntroReply
Can we mod Vestax Spin and Serato DJ Intro
Posted on: 27.12.2011 by Nathalie Flurry
I'm wondering if anyone has mod experience to make a Vestax Spin change it's midi messaging to a Vestax typhoon so people can use Serato's DJ Intro with the Vestax Spin. Just an idea.
Tonette Sneider
Originally Posted by audible
oh nevermind! it's another window on the midi setup. i believe i got it now.

You're a genius djcharles. the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the 12345 cue points on the keyboard... i'm not sure why. but overall i'm really impressed how well everything else works.
Thanks! The first thing that I was impressed with is that scratching tracking being sooooooo much better than DJay. My platters respond so much better using Intro DJ.

I also figured out that the in/out loop (decrements the loop beat count) and the fx (increments the loop beat count). The auto toggles loops.
Tonette Sneider
after playing with it a while, i found out that i accidentally turned on the shift key feature and that prevented the cue points. updated to the latest version. all is good. here's a picture showing it works and my conversion of my spin to a typhoon with paper stickers and a marker. thanks again!

IMG_1218.jpg

Cool!!! I'm glad it worked for you! I made a video of the midi setup. I'll just need to post all of this someplace so others can benefit.
Nathalie Flurry
after playing with it a while, i found out that i accidentally turned on the shift key feature and that prevented the cue points. updated to the latest version. all is good. here's a picture showing it works and my conversion of my spin to a typhoon with paper stickers and a marker. thanks again!

IMG_1218.jpg
Tonette Sneider
Originally Posted by zestoi
so it can only be looking at the 'name' of connected devices and nothing more cunning than that... i'm quite surprised really. good to know. it *might* also be looking at manufacturer info i guess - but those two are so close already. i'd just like to try out the software to see what it's like.
Yes, it appears to look at two things:

1. The name stored in the midi audio system of OS X (Midi Audio Setup fixed that).

2. The name embedded in the binary file (previous post about the binary editor fixes that)

After that it runs. There are a few special keys that are not matched properly, but the platters, faders, pitch, sync, cues, and headphone monitor all seem to work just fine.
Nathalie Flurry
Ok, has anyone tried this for The new $200 Serato DJ upgrade?
Carolina Habben
^^ I also got ...; instead of \'s but it still worked as described.
Steve Stockl
When I was doing the hex edit; the \'s mentioned turned to ...; could this be when my system still says device not connected?
Carolina Habben
I followed the steps from DJCharles and I have this working with Spin.

Thanks DJCharles!
Ross Lipinsky
DJCharles, Did you ever post a video on this?

Thanks!
Johnna Callery
i sold my Vestax, but following the steps in here, I got mine to work.
Sheila Teseniar
Me too, if anyone could help us newbies out it would be appreciated. thank you.
Charmaine Satkowiak
Hi newbie here!

I was hoping to find a definitive solution to this problem with the spin controller. so far i changed the name of the midi setup page and then I used that binary editor to change typhoon to spin. took me a while to figure out the coding part, but for the most part im sure i did it correctly.

plugged in my controller then i opened serato. at first it showed sign that it was identifying it, and then after a few seconds a hardware disconnected message pops up. did i miss something? sorry if this is an old thread.
Evangeline Dzuris
Ok so I did the binary file but how do I get to the audio midi setup to change the name from spin to typhoon.
Johnna Callery
still trying to find out where to rename it in Lion...what am I missing here..?

Edit: found out where to change it. But for some reason mine is show as the manufacturer as Generic...this is weird

Edit: ok unplugged and plugged it back in. Came up Vestax, edited the name, started DJ Intro and said hardware disconnected but then it flashed and is no working !!!!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for updates and troubleshooting!
Johnna Callery
interesting as when i tried it, i never changed the name in midi setup.
Nathalie Flurry
also turn down the latency, sometimes the scratching sounds a bit digital, but so did djay moreso. One thing i believe they'll fix soon hopefully is the font size, it's too small. On my scratchlive setup you have control over that.

set (cue) button also acts weird, i can't tell if it cues the point or sets it sometimes. i keep tapping it till it does it or press shift cue to reset it. wish they also had midi assign so i can add another midi controller.
Tonette Sneider

You're a genius djcharles. the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the 12345 cue points on the keyboard... i'm not sure why. but overall i'm really impressed how well everything else works.
Thanks! The first thing that I was impressed with is that scratching tracking being sooooooo much better than DJay. My platters respond so much better using Intro DJ.

I also figured out that the in/out loop (decrements the loop beat count) and the fx (increments the loop beat count). The auto toggles loops.
Tonette Sneider

IMG_1218.jpg

Cool!!! I'm glad it worked for you! I made a video of the midi setup. I'll just need to post all of this someplace so others can benefit.
Nathalie Flurry

IMG_1218.jpg
Nathalie Flurry

Nathalie Flurry
I'm believeing it might not be possible with OSX Lion's midi setup because they took out the feature, maybe I need to get a certain software. Thanks for letting me know soon, I actually bought a Numark Mixtrack Pro online yesterday oddly enough. If this works well, I'll cancel my order, I like Vestax's build quality better.
Tonette Sneider
Sure. I'll put something together perhaps today or tomorrow.
Nathalie Flurry
Mind doing a walkthrough of the renaming midi process? I couldn't figure how to rename it, I'm using OSX Lion and it doesn't look like the screenshots you posted. Props by the way!
Tonette Sneider
Originally Posted by zestoi
so it can only be looking at the 'name' of connected devices and nothing more cunning than that... i'm quite surprised really. good to know. it *might* also be looking at manufacturer info i guess - but those two are so close already. i'd just like to try out the software to see what it's like.
Yes, it appears to look at two things:

1. The name stored in the midi audio system of OS X (Midi Audio Setup fixed that).

2. The name embedded in the binary file (previous post about the binary editor fixes that)

After that it runs. There are a few special keys that are not matched properly, but the platters, faders, pitch, sync, cues, and headphone monitor all seem to work just fine.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Tonette Sneider
okay. A friend of mine and I got this to work using the binary editor like I mentioned in the earlier post, and by changing the name in the Audio Midi Setup. I attached screen shots. You see that I renamed the Spin to TYPHOON so my machine believes its a TYPHOON. In one of the shots you can see that the Spin still knows its a Spin. After doing this and changing the binary file as above. It works!

screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg
Nathalie Flurry
anyone try midimasher? not sure how to use it for dj intro.
Chasidy Heckenbach
not sure about vid+pid as that's driver stuff and it's just using external software for that, like loopmidi etc, or internal virtual ports on linux and mac. it could def respond with any id for a sysex message tho. not sure it *should* since i guess it's not much diff to using any software that u shouldn't but i am curious to try out serato intro...
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
couldn't midimasher lie to serato with the correct information... SysEx, vid, pid & any disparity in the midi messages..
Chasidy Heckenbach
i suspect synthet1c was onto the real solution... serato is probably identifying devices using methods similar to vdj. so you'd need to respond with the correct vendor info in a sysex response and/or it might be looking for specific info reported from the driver directly. be interesting to try out the software using a diff controller, but i suspect they don't want that
Nathalie Flurry
thanks for trying it cyberphox. any more ideas? much thanks for your help.
Johnna Callery
Tried it...still says hardware disconnected
Tonette Sneider
then i guess we need a binary editor for mac? i have my device, audio midi setup didn't allow me to change a name.
Yes. So try this one: http://www.suavetech.com/0xed/0xed.html

What you will do is make copy of the binary file first. It should be in place like /Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro

Making the copy:
1. Open a terminal window (found in the utilities folder)
2. type the command:
cp /Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro /Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro.bak

The copy is just a backup in case something does not work. Then You are ready to edit. So up the OxED application and use File->Open Path.

In the path dialog box put:

/Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro

This will open a screen with a bunch of numbers on the left (HEX -> Binary) and characters on the right. Use the search bar and search for TYPHOON. Use the edit menu to change the write mode to "overwrite".

One the right-side change "TYPHOON" to "SPINOON" (replacing the first 4 letters in TYPHOON. Then go to the left side where the numbers are that correspond with the "OON" (it will highlight them for you) and overwrite the numbers with 00. So this will make 3 new sets of 00 and the text on the right will change to \'s.

Then save and start the program with the SPIN connected. It should now be looking for SPIN instead of TYPHOON. let me know what happens.
Nathalie Flurry
Originally Posted by djcharles
hard coded means that the matching string i.e. the name of the device is coded in the binary. Binary editors allow you to find the string and change it. This is a trick that has been used in other settings many times before, and successfully.
then i guess we need a binary editor for mac? i have my device, audio midi setup didn't allow me to change a name.
Tonette Sneider
hard coded means that the matching string i.e. the name of the device is coded in the binary. Binary editors allow you to find the string and change it. This is a trick that has been used in other settings many times before, and successfully.
Tonette Sneider
yes. i prefer scratch live's layout to anything else out there. be nice if i could use it on the midi controller on the go instead of my full layout.
Did you try the idea I posted? I am sure it will work.
Nathalie Flurry
Originally Posted by Kaek
Serato DJ Intro, it is Serious Business
yes. i prefer scratch live's layout to anything else out there. be nice if i could use it on the midi controller on the go instead of my full layout.
Monroe Vandeslunt
Thanks skratchworx, that's good to know. Thanks for checking with them. I was trying to find an alternative to selling the vestax, I prefer serato's layout since I use it for serious gigs.
Serato DJ Intro, it is Serious Business
Tonette Sneider
I am wondering if this could work. On the mac there is a tool in the utilities folder called Audio Midi Setup. Why not change the name of the SPIN to be "TYPHOON DJ - Controller". This should trick the software into believeing you have a Typhoon and not a Spin. You could also look into using a binary file editor to replace the word TYPHOON with SPIN. Most of these recognitions are done using just the name any. Its just a thought and worth a try.
Nathalie Flurry
Thanks skratchworx, that's good to know. Thanks for checking with them. I was trying to find an alternative to selling the vestax, I prefer serato's layout since I use it for serious gigs.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy