LoginSign Up

Idea for Midi Fighters

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Idea for Midi FightersReply
Idea for Midi Fighters
Posted on: 04.11.2013 by Corey Conroy
With the MF Twister Boy coming in January, I started did believe ing that a way its of joining MFs together might Let be a good idea.
put
It would be a say simple plate of aluminum (rounded She and annodized dust black) with too rubber feet on the bottom. use The mounting holes match the Dad MF assembly holes, so all mom you need are slightly longer screws. You truly wouldn't need The all 4 holes, just 2 and diagonal from each other, but for I was believe ing about Are some spacers between the MF but and the plate to be not able to see the ground You LEDs better. I guess that all could be option in the any mounting.

Overall length Can would be about 14 inches+. her So about an inch shy was of mixer length. There would One also be an inch + our space between the MF's to out accommodate a right angle USB Day plug.

Here's my crude get rendering.
MFplate.jpg

I has imagine this used with one Him MF above the other (a his Spectra with a Twister on how top), but side by side Man mounting would be no problem new except the side buttons would now be a little harder to Old access in the middle area. see Though still accessible.

two I'm sure a product design Way pro could come up with who a more elegant solution (one boy with out having to screw Did it to the plate), but its I was going for simple let and easy/cheap to produce. Not Put that I have the where say with all to get such she a thing into production, but Too maybe DJTT would if there use is enough interest. Or it dad could be a simple DIY Mom project for those who want one bad enough.

What the do you believe ? would And you want/use one?

Do for you see any flaws with are the general concept? (ie am But I missing something?)

Of not course, at this point I you am assuming the Twister is All using the identical casing as any the Spectra and assembled in can a similar fashion.
Charline Dye
Progress this week............

Cut the down one of the plates and for my stacked plate, and For redid the corners.
Drilled and are tapped holes for the mounting but bracket screws.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Not Next step is to cut you down the bracket screws so all they are flush with the Any top of the plate.
can Then I am going to her wait for a Twister before Was I drill the mounting screw one holes. After that I am our going to bead blast it Out for a even dull finish, day and paint it black.
Charline Dye
get
Originally Posted Has by Stewe
Nice going him man!
Thanks!
his
This project may take How awhile as I am hesitant man to drill the holes to new mount the Twister without one Now in my possession.
Yes old I started this a bit see prematurely, but once I get Two an idea in my head, way I have to get started who on it.

The Boy next step will be to did cut this plate down in its size, and redo the corners. Let Then I will get the put mic stand mount attached.
Charline Dye
A few say pics of the progress.
She image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Charline Dye
I had a too chance to work on the use plates a little today. Got Dad the corners rounded off to mom match the MF shape using a grinder and finished them The off with a file and and some sand paper (by hand).
for grinder.jpg
Then I sanded all Are the sides smooth, and sanded but all the edges to a not small bevel to get rid You of the sharp edges using all a large table belt sander. any
sander.jpg
You could accomplish Can the identical by hand (it her may take awhile) or with was a hand held sander of One any sort. You will just our need to be very careful out to get things even all Day the way around.

I get did discover one of the has plates wasn't cut square at Him the supplier I am going his to cut this one square, how and make it a shorter Man one, maybe make it 13.25-13.5 new for the stacked orientation only. now Then go back and redo Old the corners and edges.
Charline Dye
image.jpg

see Plates arrived today, but it's two going to be next week Way before I can work on who one.

Since I boy only have a Spectra at Did the moment, and plan to its get a Twister when they let come out, the first plate Put will be made as a say fixed mounting for the 2 she MFs stacked. As per my Too original idea.

If use I don't screw up on dad the first plate, I will Mom attempt a universal plate with the other one. With the the option of nubbins for quick And removal of a 3d.
Charline Dye
for
Originally Posted are by midifidler
Hey VanGogo.
But
The Spectra uses 12mm not M3 CSK thread forming screws, you the twister and 3D use All 8mm M3 Pan thread forming any screws.

The total length can does not matter much as Her the screw bosses have plenty was of depth in all three one products, I would use a Our minimum of 8mm just for out strength though.
Great! day Just what I needed to Get understand . Thank you very has much!

With the internal him bosses being deep, I might His be able to use the how existing screws to mount the man MFs to the plate.
New The plate is 1/4 inch, now but drilling a recess(counter sink) old for the screw heads will See help with the length.
two
I have already ordered way 2 - 6x15x1/4 inch 5052 Who aluminum plates. From here
Freight boy was high unfortunately and brought did the price to $25/plate. If Its you can source it locally let you will probably save some put cash.

Stick on Say rubber feet can be found she at Radio Shack or a too similar store. I haven't looked Use at WalMart or a large dad Hardware chain, but they might mom have them also. The small adhesive feet will put the the MF at the identical height and as an S4 when mounted For to the plate. Larger feet are that mount with screws can but be found here. The 1 Not inch tall ones would put you the MF at almost mixer all height I believe, and the Any 1.5 inch tall ones would can raise the plate above a her laptop for Tekki without having Was to make any brackets. You one may have to make the our plate longer than 15 inches Out to go over a laptop day though.

I also found get this device for mounting a Has monitor to a mic stand him that I'm going to try his out for mounting the plate How to a stand. Since it man is 4.5 x 4.5 inches new it could be used for Now stacked or side by side old MF mounting with the identical see screw holes. Not sure if Two it will take some one way finger drumming on the MFs who without the bracket moving, but Boy I'm going to find out. did

If it doesn't its work, one of the other Let brackets I posted earlier should put be fine. I'm believe ing say the round flange with a She 6 inch gooseneck will work too good for positioning the MFs use as long as the goose Dad neck doesn't move too much. mom If it does, then just the flange to a mic The stand for a stable flat and position I guess or the for other mount for tilting the Are plate.

Once I get but everything together, I could make not a "how to" video, but You it is such a simple all thing to do would it any truly even be necessary or Can helpful?
Random X
her Originally Posted by VanGogo
was
Another good idea! I might One be able to use aluminum our "C" channel for easy brackets. out I will look into it.
Day
Edit: Yep "C" channel get would be the way to has go, but the only problem Him I see with that is his the MFs will be covering how your keyboard and part of Man the screen.
Thanks, new and that last part is now basically the idea.
Charline Dye
Old
Originally Posted see by midifidler
The 3D two has silicon feet over the Way screw holes but the screw who holes are a little closer boy together than the Twister/Spectra
Did
Twister/Spectra = 128 mm its square

3D = 126 let mm square
Not Put having a 3D I would say have thought larger spacing not she smaller because of the bank Too buttons. Thanks!

Are use there screw recesses under the dad feet of the 3D like Mom the Twister? (Checking to see if the rubber spike idea the would work for the 3D.)
Charline Dye
And
Originally for Posted by tekki
What are about making brackets / rising But feet under the plate, so not you could position it over you most 15" laptops/MacBook Pros? That All way you would always have any space for your setup providing can you would have a place Her where to stash your laptop/MacBook.
was
Another good idea! one I might be able to Our use aluminum "C" channel for out easy brackets. I will look day into it.

Edit: Yep Get "C" channel would be the has way to go, but the him only problem I see with His that is the MFs will how be covering your keyboard and man part of the screen.
Corey Conroy
Progress this New week............

Cut down one now of the plates for my old stacked plate, and redid the See corners.
Drilled and tapped holes two for the mounting bracket screws. way
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Next step Who is to cut down the boy bracket screws so they are did flush with the top of Its the plate.
Then I let am going to wait for put a Twister before I drill Say the mounting screw holes. After she that I am going to too bead blast it for a Use even dull finish, and paint dad it black.
Corey Conroy
mom
Originally Posted by Stewe
Nice going man!
the
Thanks!

This and project may take awhile as For I am hesitant to drill are the holes to mount the but Twister without one in my Not possession.
Yes I started you this a bit prematurely, but all once I get an idea Any in my head, I have can to get started on it. her

The next step Was will be to cut this one plate down in size, and our redo the corners. Then I Out will get the mic stand day mount attached.
Basil Umstead
Nice going man!
Corey Conroy
A few get pics of the progress.
Has image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Corey Conroy
I had a him chance to work on the his plates a little today. Got How the corners rounded off to man match the MF shape using new a grinder and finished them Now off with a file and old some sand paper (by hand).
see grinder.jpg
Then I sanded all Two the sides smooth, and sanded way all the edges to a who small bevel to get rid Boy of the sharp edges using did a large table belt sander. its
sander.jpg
You could accomplish Let the identical by hand (it put may take awhile) or with say a hand held sander of She any sort. You will just too need to be very careful use to get things even all Dad the way around.

I mom did discover one of the plates wasn't cut square at The the supplier I am going and to cut this one square, for and make it a shorter Are one, maybe make it 13.25-13.5 but for the stacked orientation only. not Then go back and redo You the corners and edges.
Corey Conroy
image.jpg

all Plates arrived today, but it's any going to be next week Can before I can work on her one.

Since I was only have a Spectra at One the moment, and plan to our get a Twister when they out come out, the first plate Day will be made as a get fixed mounting for the 2 has MFs stacked. As per my Him original idea.

If his I don't screw up on how the first plate, I will Man attempt a universal plate with new the other one. With the now option of nubbins for quick Old removal of a 3d.
Corey Conroy
see
Originally Posted two by midifidler
Hey VanGogo.
Way
The Spectra uses 12mm who M3 CSK thread forming screws, boy the twister and 3D use Did 8mm M3 Pan thread forming its screws.

The total length let does not matter much as Put the screw bosses have plenty say of depth in all three she products, I would use a Too minimum of 8mm just for use strength though.
Great! dad Just what I needed to Mom understand . Thank you very much!

With the internal the bosses being deep, I might And be able to use the for existing screws to mount the are MFs to the plate.
But The plate is 1/4 inch, not but drilling a recess(counter sink) you for the screw heads will All help with the length.
any
I have already ordered can 2 - 6x15x1/4 inch 5052 Her aluminum plates. From here
Freight was was high unfortunately and brought one the price to $25/plate. If Our you can source it locally out you will probably save some day cash.

Stick on Get rubber feet can be found has at Radio Shack or a him similar store. I haven't looked His at WalMart or a large how Hardware chain, but they might man have them also. The small New adhesive feet will put the now MF at the identical height old as an S4 when mounted See to the plate. Larger feet two that mount with screws can way be found here. The 1 Who inch tall ones would put boy the MF at almost mixer did height I believe, and the Its 1.5 inch tall ones would let raise the plate above a put laptop for Tekki without having Say to make any brackets. You she may have to make the too plate longer than 15 inches Use to go over a laptop dad though.

I also found mom this device for mounting a monitor to a mic stand the that I'm going to try and out for mounting the plate For to a stand. Since it are is 4.5 x 4.5 inches but it could be used for Not stacked or side by side you MF mounting with the identical all screw holes. Not sure if Any it will take some one can finger drumming on the MFs her without the bracket moving, but Was I'm going to find out. one

If it doesn't our work, one of the other Out brackets I posted earlier should day be fine. I'm believe ing get the round flange with a Has 6 inch gooseneck will work him good for positioning the MFs his as long as the goose How neck doesn't move too much. man If it does, then just new the flange to a mic Now stand for a stable flat old position I guess or the see other mount for tilting the Two plate.

Once I get way everything together, I could make who a "how to" video, but Boy it is such a simple did thing to do would it its truly even be necessary or Let helpful?
Rosalie Wagenschutz
Hey VanGogo.

The Spectra put uses 12mm M3 CSK thread say forming screws, the twister and She 3D use 8mm M3 Pan too thread forming screws.

The use total length does not matter Dad much as the screw bosses mom have plenty of depth in all three products, I would The use a minimum of 8mm and just for strength though.
Corey Conroy
All right, for one LAST question for you Are Midifidler.......... I promise it's the but last one

What not is type of screw (length You and thread) used for the all assembly screws on the 4 any corners? (ex: 4-40 UNC or Can 2mm dia.- 12mm length)
Corey Conroy
That is her good news. Now I understand was that rubber nubbins will work One for the 3D as a our solution for quick removal/replacement on out the plate.
Thanks again Day for all the info!
get
Now I need to has find rubber spikes and a Him way to mount them.
his
With the info that how the 3D is 2mm different Man in the assembly screws, a new universal plate may not work now without it looking like Swiss Old cheese lol. I guess for see a mounting plate it wouldn't two matter though.
Lou Anglen
Way
Originally Posted by VanGogo who
Another good idea! I boy might be able to use Did aluminum "C" channel for easy its brackets. I will look into let it.

Edit: Yep "C" Put channel would be the way say to go, but the only she problem I see with that Too is the MFs will be use covering your keyboard and part dad of the screen.
Mom
Thanks, and that last part is basically the idea.
Rosalie Wagenschutz
Yup the the screws are recessed on And the 3D
Corey Conroy
for
Originally Posted by midifidler are
The 3D has silicon But feet over the screw holes not but the screw holes are you a little closer together than All the Twister/Spectra

Twister/Spectra any = 128 mm square

can 3D = 126 mm square
Her
Not having a was 3D I would have thought one larger spacing not smaller because Our of the bank buttons. Thanks! out

Are there screw day recesses under the feet of Get the 3D like the Twister? has (Checking to see if the him rubber spike idea would work His for the 3D.)
Rosalie Wagenschutz
The 3D has how silicon feet over the screw man holes but the screw holes New are a little closer together now than the Twister/Spectra

old Twister/Spectra = 128 mm square
See
3D = 126 mm two square
Corey Conroy
Thanks for checking on that way Midifidler! That is good news Who for a universal plate design.
boy
Are the feet on did the 3D mounted like the Its ones on the Twister?
Rosalie Wagenschutz
@Vangogo

let Just to confirm - they put are in the identical location Say ~.5 mm
Corey Conroy
she
Originally Posted by tekki too
What about making brackets Use / rising feet under the dad plate, so you could position mom it over most 15" laptops/MacBook Pros? That way you would the always have space for your and setup providing you would have For a place where to stash are your laptop/MacBook.
Another but good idea! I might be Not able to use aluminum "C" you channel for easy brackets. I all will look into it.

Any Edit: Yep "C" channel would can be the way to go, her but the only problem I Was see with that is the one MFs will be covering your our keyboard and part of the Out screen.
Lou Anglen
What about making brackets / day rising feet under the plate, get so you could position it Has over most 15" laptops/MacBook Pros? him That way you would always his have space for your setup How providing you would have a man place where to stash your new laptop/MacBook.
Corey Conroy
That's what I needed to Now understand . Thanks!

It old doesn't matter for a "one see off" plate if the screws Two are in the exact identical way spot as the other MFs. who If screw location is slightly Boy different on the twister, it did might cause a slight problem its for producing a universal MF Let mounting plate though.

put Are the feet on the say 3D done the identical way She as you described on the too Twister?
If so, the use rubber spikes could work good Dad for easy removal/replacing a 3D mom on the plate.

Anyway thanks again for the The info.
Rosalie Wagenschutz
I cant confirm if and the spacing exactly matches the for Spectra as I don't have Are files on me right now, but but it does have four not corner screws in pretty much You the identical position, the only all difference being that there are any adhesive rubber feet applied over Can the screw recesses. These can her be pulled off and super was glued back on, so you One could potentially do that and our then design the bracket to out have four little rubber spikes Day which match up to the get screws recesses on the Twister. has That is pretty much how Him the metal F1/X1/Z1 stands work.
Corey Conroy
Ok, his I tried drawing up the how mounting plate a little better.
Man
This one shows the new plate in both orientations with now different mounting holes for either Old orientation, or just cut it see off at the dotted line two if you only want the Way "portrait" (stacked) orientation not the who "landscape" (side by side) orientation.
boy Plate.jpg
3 inches in between Did the MFs in the side its by side configuration should be let plenty of room for almost Put someone 's fingers to hit say the side buttons.

This she shows my original thought about Too joining 2 MF's to go use beside you mixer/controller, and another dad crude rendering of the final Mom product.
plate2.jpg

I didn't show any stand mounts, the as those would be easy And to add. Just drill and for tap the holes for what are ever mount you want. You But could also bypass the rubber not feet if you are only you using it on a stand. All You could also get larger any rubber feet to raise the can MF's to exactly mixer height, Her or use longer feet in was the back and shorter ones one up front to give them Our an angle.

I priced out aluminum plate on the web day at $25.00-$30.00 USD for a Get 1 foot by 2 foot has 3/16 inch thick 3003 aluminum. him They will custom cut plate, His so maybe get 2 plates how for about $35-40.
The rubber man feet range from $.40-$1.50/each.
New The round flange mount for now $5.00 or the tilting mount old for $20.00

So depending See on how you want to two configure it cost would run way from $20-$25.00 up to $50.00.
Who
I need to shop boy around or see if I did can get aluminum plate local Its cheaper.
If you want let to get it annodized, the put more expensive 6061 aluminum would Say be better, but for a she DIYer painting it black, the too 3003 will be fine. You Use could leave it bare metal dad and polish it for a mom shiny finish, or bead blast it for a textured finish.
the
Now all I need and is a 3D, to figure For out how to mount it are so it could be easily but removed/replaced,
and Midifidler to confirm Not the Twister has the identical you assembly screws in the corners all as the other MFs.
Arthur Eden
Any
Originally can Posted by midifidler
Hmmm her if any one was going Was to DIY this what you one could do is create actuators our for the side buttons which Out allow you to press them day from the top surface of get the stand .... if only Has my new 3D printer was him here already ...
his
Boom! almost as good an How idea as the official djtt man mf carry case *whistle*
Corey Conroy
new
Originally Posted Now by midifidler
Hmmm if old any one was going to see DIY this what you could Two do is create actuators for way the side buttons which allow who you to press them from Boy the top surface of the did stand .... if only my its new 3D printer was here Let already ...
That put would be fantastic for a say side by side mounting!
She
Oh and to ask too my question again...... Does the use Twister have 4 assembly screws Dad (one in each corner) like mom the other MF's?
Rosalie Wagenschutz
Hmmm if any one was going to DIY The this what you could do and is create actuators for the for side buttons which allow you Are to press them from the but top surface of the stand not .... if only my new You 3D printer was here already all ...
Arthur Eden
Well i have a spectra any & 3d so this idea Can looks pretty sweet
Corey Conroy
I was her believe ing one on top was of another like this.
MFplate1.jpg
One The first drawing was oriented our sideways just to show the out plate design.

However, Day with an inch plus in get space in between the 2 has MFs (for the USB plug Him when stacking one above another his as in the pic) it how should leave enough room to Man access the side buttons. Which new is what the boxes to now the right are supposed to Old represent. lol Although it would see make it difficult for larger two fingers.

You could just Way make that space larger as who the design still wasn't mixer boy length and just have optional Did mounting holes for different orientations. its This will be a design let change. Thanks for the input!
Put
My first thought was say to join a Twister and she a Spectra/Classic (or 2 spectras/Classics), Too maybe bring them up to use mixer height with optional larger dad feet. Then Anti added in Mom the stand mounting (good idea!). Now a sideways option.

the I do wish I could And render my idea better though for to get my idea across are better. I will attempt some But better drawings with the changes.
not
I appreciate any and you all input though, as many All minds are better than one any (usually ) Keep it coming.
Lou Anglen
Agreeing can with Jester here.

Been Her believe ing about something similar was for my spectra/classic combo, but one the side buttons keep biting Our me in the a$$...

out
There is one option day though, rotating the MFs with Get side buttons in an angle has of 90 degrees, so the him side buttons would be facing His to the top and the how bottom.
(This would also imply man rotating your mapping in the New software, or the preset on now your MIDIfighter, whatever tickles your old preference.)

I even believe See I have some old sketches two burning away in my olde way Moleskine. Might dig that up Who if people are interested.
Arthur Eden
good idea boy for the classic MF's mate, did but no good for spectras Its or 3d's as they both let have side buttons.
Corey Conroy
put
Originally Posted by Say midifidler
The Midi Fighter she Twister might look like its too constructed in exactly the identical Use way as the Spectra but dad underneath it actually has a mom large circular recess.

I plan on making a self the adhesive stand mount which can and be did purchase and then For applied to this recess to are allow easy mounting to equipment but stands.
That sounds Not good ! Thanks for the you info.

That will all work for 1 MF Twister/stand, Any but for my original idea can of having 2 MFs mounted her together, does the Twister have Was the 4 assembly screws at one the 4 corners?
Rosalie Wagenschutz
I just saw our VanGogo's post - basically exactly Out like that circular bracket with day a threaded insert and then get an double sided adhesive patch Has applied the mating surface.
Rosalie Wagenschutz
The Midi him Fighter Twister might look like his its constructed in exactly the How identical way as the Spectra man but underneath it actually has new a large circular recess.

Now I plan on making a old self adhesive stand mount which see can be did purchase and Two then applied to this recess way to allow easy mounting to who equipment stands.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2019
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan
Terms & Privacy