X1 Mk1 Not working under OS X Mavericks?

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: X1 Mk1 Not working under OS X Mavericks?Reply
X1 Mk1 Not working under OS X Mavericks?
Posted on: 07.10.2013 by Kathleen Mcoy
Hi everyone,

I recently updated my computer to the gold master of OS X Mavericks. After the update my X1 Mk1 does't. I really have no idea what to do about this and hoping someone has some ideas. My X1 Mk2 and my F1 works just fine. If I plug the X1 Mk1 into my other laptop still running OS X 10.8 then it works just fine. It's definitely only a problem on this Mac and only after I updated to 10.9.

When I plug the device in it does the typical lighting thing where they flash in sequence for a second and then all the lights go off and stay off. The Controller Editor is not able to connect to the device, Traktor can't connect and the Midi Monitor application definitely doesn't pick up anything coming from the device.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Evie Baghdasarian
Originally Posted by canzil
If you installed the 2.6.4 directly it's not work in mavericks, but you can download the lastest x1 driver on NI site, install and reboot and it be work. I have this problem too and that way I solve it.
Download the driver mentioned above and the mk1 will work just fine. Got two hours of playing time in with no hiccups.
Kathleen Mcoy
Hi everyone,

I recently updated my computer to the gold master of OS X Mavericks. After the update my X1 Mk1 does't. I really have no idea what to do about this and hoping someone has some ideas. My X1 Mk2 and my F1 works just fine. If I plug the X1 Mk1 into my other laptop still running OS X 10.8 then it works just fine. It's definitely only a problem on this Mac and only after I updated to 10.9.

When I plug the device in it does the typical lighting thing where they flash in sequence for a second and then all the lights go off and stay off. The Controller Editor is not able to connect to the device, Traktor can't connect and the Midi Monitor application definitely doesn't pick up anything coming from the device.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Kathleen Mcoy
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am late getting back to this thread. The solution that I found that worked was to just reinstall the X1 driver manually after doing the regular Traktor install. Thanks for the tip on the NI sound cards though. I've been using a different sound card but was assuming I could just bust out the S4 for a gig if I felt like going with an easier setup. I'll have to take a look and see how well that is working too.
Random X
I heared from a very much trusted source that NI soundcards have problems with Mavericks. (Or better said, the other way around, best to wit a little before upgrading to Mavericks if your setup depends on the soundcard)
Evie Baghdasarian
Originally Posted by canzil
If you installed the 2.6.4 directly it's not work in mavericks, but you can download the lastest x1 driver on NI site, install and reboot and it be work. I have this problem too and that way I solve it.
Download the driver mentioned above and the mk1 will work just fine. Got two hours of playing time in with no hiccups.
Heike Mumm
"First, I apologise if my post came out wrong, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry if I did.

And yes, I did make a few too many assuptions: guilty."

A very polite reply and rare these days.
Respect!!
Libby Mudie
Arthur Giammatteo
First, I apologise if my post came out wrong, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry if I did.

And yes, I did make a few too many assuptions: guilty

But I still believe the best community to seek advice is from NI or Apple as USB protocol is fairly proven technology and it seems quite odd that something as stable as that could break with Mavericks. I mean.. they propably have a TON of (unit) tests running against every possible scenario, right?

Given that your controller works on one Mac and not another, I'd put my money on some kind of hw one-off issue on your laptop just brought to daylight with the new software. I've had tens of Apple laptops (working in a hectic and laptop-unfriendly environment) and more than one of them have had misc problems with USB-ports and other pheripherals (like networking, gpu, power adapter). The local Apple repair shop always just tell me "it's a motherboard/random hw problem, can't fix it" and the hardware test tool never ever tells anything other than the obvious. If the problem is big enough they of course fix it, but I've had at least three machines that I remember that behaved weirdly without no apparent reason (and no fix). Actually, I have one here with me right now that lost network interface after 10.7 update. No help with Radar bug report and they wouldn't fix it at the shop so needed to buy an usb-interface to use lan with it!

Not to say that it shouldn't or couldn't be fixed, just saying that it might be really hard even with apple devs debugging.

That said, let's hope our X1:s and F1:s are safe after 10.9.0!
Kathleen Mcoy
Seriously? Let's make a few less presumptions shall we?

Yes, I am a software developer and yes I am part of the Apple Developer Program on both the iOS, OS X and Safari platforms. I have been for approximately 14 years. During that time I have also done stints in product management and software test as well. I worked on the Sidewinder game controllers back in the day. I developed software for mice and keyboards as well as mobile applications for early smart watches and later mobile phones. I've done both installed and embedded software.

Due to my technical background combined with my heavy involvement in the Pacific Northwest festival scene I am friends with many DJs and producers who have asked me the question "Is it safe to upgrade when Mavericks releases? Will Traktor run? Does Ableton work?", etc. These friends do not have the luxury that I do to test these things out ahead of time like I do. So, yes I am sating my own curiosity, however, I am also investigating because there is a real desire to know in my community. The GM of Mavericks "is" what will ship unless someone finds a significant security or crash related issue - which this is not. This means many people *will* be installing the exact same thing I did.

It is absolutely appropriate to leverage that communal experience and knowledge to find out if this is isolated or if others have found solutions or work arounds. It is silly to believe that the only reasonable place to find other Traktor users who have tried the same things I am doing is the Apple Developer Center. We are far more likely to find people with similar experience here and on the NI community s then we are in the ADC community.

Had I not been doing this on the GM I wouldn't even be bothering to ask or worry about it. If this was a preview copy, I would agree with you that cluttering up this community is probably not worth it. Since this is the GM release, I submit that it is relevant and timely to determine the state of affairs now.
Arthur Giammatteo
Developer previews are meant _for developers_, not for general use. Hence, the right place to seek for advice is ADC developer bugtracker/support.

Assuming you've obtained your copy legally via the ADC developer program, you should file bug reports both for Apple and for Native instruments describing the problem with as many detais as possible. Also because you're talking about GM-release (which is Apple jargon for "we're going to press this on millions of DVD:s if no new major bugs are reported in a couple of weeks"), I believe you should file the bug reports sooner rather than later...

The only practical advice one can give to you is that you should downgrade to 10.8 while waiting for 1) updated developer seed (which is propably not coming soon since the bug propably doesn't count as "major" in Apples eyes) or 2) some kind of software update from Native Instruments that would fix the problem. Given that the basic USB-routines are quite low-level operating system stuff, it's very likely that NI can't do anything about it -- it's propably something that Apple developers will fix in 10.9.1 (IF you or someone else reports the bug in the first place!).

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy