Advanced H.I.D CDJ 900/2000 Traktor

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Advanced H.I.D CDJ 900/2000 TraktorReply
Advanced H.I.D CDJ 900/2000 Traktor
Posted on: 13.07.2012 by Jerome Drieling
Official update status - Traktor (Scratch) Pro
Gigi Weese
Originally Posted by chrisvazquez
i used HID w/ CDJ'S 2000 & the DJ after me couldnt play his cd, my question is how do you switch to cd mode with out the music stopping do you just disconnect the usb cable from behind one of the cdjs then let him mix in then disconnect the other one? please help!
I play with HID in all Clubs, the only thing you have to remember is that when you switch back to USB or CD that you will have to push the browsing encoder to actually select the track (not by hitting play). Otherwise it will flip back to the Link Mode as at that time the controls are still linked to Traktor. I have seen many struggle with that but it really is simple and logical once you know it.
Delila Vandommelen
Originally Posted by zimfella
First change over dj ,if a dj is playing with audio cd or frm memory stick before me can I just select one deck to change over to traktor to mix into his trak and once done just select the other deck to change over?
Yep, you can add decks one by one. This should not be a problem. Since this is toggled by the LINK button, I'm not sure how that would behave if the CDJs are actually linked over ethernet. I believe you get a choice of link mode if that is the case but I have no idea whether the actual music library linking is still happening when you enable HID in that situation...

2nd is it as easy to setup as the tutorials suggest?
Pretty much. You're on windows so you don't have to install the cdj aggregator - the cdj driver will do that for you automatically as you plug in more decks.
Make sure you've installed it before Windows will ask to reboot when it has detected and installed the first cdj you plug-in, I did it but I'm not sure how necessary it is.
I had to make sure I plugged the cdjs in the order I wanted to use them - deck 1 first then the others because the CDJ outputs available in traktor seem to be numbered from this order, definitely not from what deck you select on the CDJs. This can be a little confusing.
I'm not sure which firmware the 900's have, is this a major issue?
They recommend to have it up to date, but I didn't bother checking when I played with the 2000s. The upgrade procedure is supposedly rather foolproof but being the extra cautious type, I wouldn't want it to fail on a device that's not mine, so I haven't done it yet (even though I have the firmware updates for 900s and 2000s on both my emergency usb sticks).

Do you believe I should just use a x1 and an audio 8 with house mixer to avoid hassle?
The least hassle is by just plugging into the 2 CDJs and using their built-in audio interfaces. Once you've first done it, it's a breeze the rest of the time.

If you want to feel more comfortable at first, you can also use CDJs in HID AND your Audio8 provided you have enough usb ports. That way, you're already used to setting up and plugging in the A8 and then you don't really have to care about the order in which you plug in the CDJS - just assign the cd decks and off you go. If it doesn't behave too well, you can always plug in the X1 as well.
Takes more time to set up, but it can be a good transition should you not trust it at first.

As I said : I once had timecode issues halfway through a set with turntable #2.
I just got an extra usb cable from my bag, plugged it into one of the 2000s, and a few button presses later (press link, click the browsing knob to engage HID, turn and click the browsing knob to select deck B, if memory serves right) I had it take over my annoying deck.
Most of the time this took was spent doing the cabling because my audio8 was already in use and I just kept using that instead of picking the CDJ interface in traktor.
Hyman Werness
Originally Posted by LoopCat
two more gigs of ram should help you.
using a pentium 4? nope not even close to enough processing power he really needs how old is that thing???? 10 years or so if I recall??? I believe it calls for at least a Centrino or some kind of duo core... what he really needs is a Mac. go ahead and bite the bullet man... it is well worth it I promise you!!!
Myong Tiessen
wow ... I got that on my cdj screen while shutting down Traktor ...
traktor pioneer.jpg

I've tried a while remembering what I did but can't get the CDJ doing it again. All I know is I was closing Traktor and a friend of mine was messing with the CDJ ... I will try to check this out further
Gigi Weese
Originally Posted by chrisvazquez
i used HID w/ CDJ'S 2000 & the DJ after me couldnt play his cd, my question is how do you switch to cd mode with out the music stopping do you just disconnect the usb cable from behind one of the cdjs then let him mix in then disconnect the other one? please help!
I play with HID in all Clubs, the only thing you have to remember is that when you switch back to USB or CD that you will have to push the browsing encoder to actually select the track (not by hitting play). Otherwise it will flip back to the Link Mode as at that time the controls are still linked to Traktor. I have seen many struggle with that but it really is simple and logical once you know it.
Elvin Dalson
Hanna Ridenbaugh
thanks,

Well got there and one of the dj's had setup Digital Vinyl System with traktor. He's One of the most dj at the top in Brighton. But did not know anything about HID in Traktor. I could'nt be bothered by then to try it out. Real shame. I just ended up pluging his adio * into my laptop and ended just using a kontrol x1 as I could calibrate for some reason. Anyway He went back on later, supposedly his last gig and time to shine. Well it all went pear shaped for him. I believe he was'nt switching master decks or something. Anyway I was happy with my set and my mates agreed I played the best one. If i get a chance I will try out HID for cdj's. Kinda want to spend some money and pick up a pair of cdj's that have the HID ability. Thanks for your help again, I have learn't alot without eating the cake in the end
Delila Vandommelen
You're welcome, let us know how it went
Hanna Ridenbaugh
You sir are a gentlemen!

thankyou, I'll use the audio 8 as gonna record toevening s gig in traktor and use the cdj900s in HID. Thankyou again
Delila Vandommelen
Originally Posted by zimfella
First change over dj ,if a dj is playing with audio cd or frm memory stick before me can I just select one deck to change over to traktor to mix into his trak and once done just select the other deck to change over?
Yep, you can add decks one by one. This should not be a problem. Since this is toggled by the LINK button, I'm not sure how that would behave if the CDJs are actually linked over ethernet. I believe you get a choice of link mode if that is the case but I have no idea whether the actual music library linking is still happening when you enable HID in that situation...

Pretty much. You're on windows so you don't have to install the cdj aggregator - the cdj driver will do that for you automatically as you plug in more decks.
Make sure you've installed it before Windows will ask to reboot when it has detected and installed the first cdj you plug-in, I did it but I'm not sure how necessary it is.
I had to make sure I plugged the cdjs in the order I wanted to use them - deck 1 first then the others because the CDJ outputs available in traktor seem to be numbered from this order, definitely not from what deck you select on the CDJs. This can be a little confusing.
They recommend to have it up to date, but I didn't bother checking when I played with the 2000s. The upgrade procedure is supposedly rather foolproof but being the extra cautious type, I wouldn't want it to fail on a device that's not mine, so I haven't done it yet (even though I have the firmware updates for 900s and 2000s on both my emergency usb sticks).

Do you believe I should just use a x1 and an audio 8 with house mixer to avoid hassle?
The least hassle is by just plugging into the 2 CDJs and using their built-in audio interfaces. Once you've first done it, it's a breeze the rest of the time.

If you want to feel more comfortable at first, you can also use CDJs in HID AND your Audio8 provided you have enough usb ports. That way, you're already used to setting up and plugging in the A8 and then you don't really have to care about the order in which you plug in the CDJS - just assign the cd decks and off you go. If it doesn't behave too well, you can always plug in the X1 as well.
Takes more time to set up, but it can be a good transition should you not trust it at first.

As I said : I once had timecode issues halfway through a set with turntable #2.
I just got an extra usb cable from my bag, plugged it into one of the 2000s, and a few button presses later (press link, click the browsing knob to engage HID, turn and click the browsing knob to select deck B, if memory serves right) I had it take over my annoying deck.
Most of the time this took was spent doing the cabling because my audio8 was already in use and I just kept using that instead of picking the CDJ interface in traktor.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Anyone?
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Hi people, few questions please. I've got a chance to use 900's this weekend at a gig. I would like to use them in hid mode. First change over dj ,if a dj is playing with audio cd or frm memory stick before me can I just select one deck to change over to traktor to mix into his trak and once done just select the other deck to change over?

Cheers in advance
Delila Vandommelen
A little necroposting... just to confirm if that wasn't obvious enough already that mixing vinyl timcoded decks and cdj 2000 advanced hid using the NI interface works just as well too. Had to plug into one of the 2000s in a pinch as the TT on my side of the back2back was suffering from the rumble to the point of being unreliable - an M5G of all decks, too...
Ming Devis
Haha wow forgot how old Pentium 4 was!
Hyman Werness
Originally Posted by LoopCat
using a pentium 4? nope not even close to enough processing power he really needs how old is that thing???? 10 years or so if I recall??? I believe it calls for at least a Centrino or some kind of duo core... what he really needs is a Mac. go ahead and bite the bullet man... it is well worth it I promise you!!!
Ming Devis
Hyman Werness
Yeah it's def your processor.. Probably the RAM as well.
Arla Seniw
Think it might be the computer. The specs seem a little on the low side.
Deshawn Gastley
hellow everybody , i own 2 cdj 900 djm800 , tracktor , i updated but the problem is when i run it HID advance the load on tracktor will go crazyy to the reds while playing 2 tracks on cdjs , and it makes it clipping/slowing tempo/pitchdown the song weirdly.
my pc specs , Pentium 4 << 3.4 Ghz << 2GB Ram

so now i cant play with this quality in a gig , so i still use the damn black and white Rekordbox ( even though i like it for stability and music managing , but using keyboard and mouse and shit in a gig make me look out of the party image , its like im checking my facebook or emails lol hahahaha )
anyway around that guys ?? plz an answer
Myong Tiessen
wow ... I got that on my cdj screen while shutting down Traktor ...
traktor pioneer.jpg

I've tried a while remembering what I did but can't get the CDJ doing it again. All I know is I was closing Traktor and a friend of mine was messing with the CDJ ... I will try to check this out further
Delila Vandommelen
You could create an aggregate device with the cdjs and your extra interface.
Natasha Garity
Slightly off-topic question.

I'm looking at using an F1 and remix decks in C and D whilst using CDJ2000/900s in A and B. But I've been told that if I combine the soundcards on the CDJs, I am unable to use another soundcard with the setup. Can anyone confirm this?
And does that mean that the only way I can run such a setup is using an HID Integrated mixer?
Hyman Werness
Thats why they / i reccomend a powered hub... i have a 13"macbook base model mid 2012 running either tsp2 or serato with one usb and a hub in the other with 2the cdj850s and typically 1 or 2the externals
Ming Devis
Yeah true would be better if you didn't have to plug another thing in the power-board though if there's any room left!
Hyman Werness
use a powered usb hub
Ming Devis
Thanks for the review playing without a sound card sounds so much easier! It's a shame you can't use the link cable for the other usb but it makes sense how it works now I believe about it. Just wish 13 inch Mac book pro's had 3 usb ports so I can plug my X1 in and get those delicious Traktor effects!
Delila Vandommelen
Got a chance to try this at my last gig after I was done with my vinyl/timecode set and had unhooked my laptop, Audio8, multicores... full disclosure : I started working out the essentials with CD decks this year to add to my book of tech knowledge and to have an extra backup for the tunes I don't have on vinyl with me.

I'd installed the CDJ driver beforehand and just pulled out my HP laptop out of the bag, connected the two cdjs to two of my usb ports, rebooted to complete the peripheral install and continued setting up while my mates were playing on the other two channels so I could play a tune or two with them.
Took a bit of fumbling about because I hadn't done all of the homework (key part : "oh, you gotta press LINK... much better!"). The only issues from then on were user error.

Pro tip : on windows CDJ1/2 get numbered in the order in which you plug them in (DUH), I guess in my slightly drunk state I expected it to pickup a number matching the deck assignment.
I'd plugged in the right deck first, so there was a bit of scratching the back of my head when looking at the LEDs lighting up the wrong channel

Assigned Pioneer CDJ1/CDJ2 to deck A/B outputs.
Selected a pitch range on the decks. Oh and don't press master tempo, it toggles sync on the default mapping.

• Browsing from the decks works really well.
  • CPU usage with 2 CDJs was noticeably lower than having the Audio8 plugged in and remained stable.
  • Play/Cue/Hotcue response is spot on, although hotcue 1/2/3 on the cdj were hotcues 2/3/4 in traktor (is it because my first hotcue is usually a load marker? Probably).
  • Pitch and platter (read : scratching) performance seem on par with playing mp3s off usb sticks, but not overly impressive. CDJ ASIO Latency around 5.3 ms, which is half my timecode vinyl latency.

For the record, I'd used timecoded cds on 800mk2s once and apart from the lackluster cue/hotcue performance we all know of, I felt the platter was a bit laggy. It seemed a bit better with usb/mp3 on 850s and 900s, but not tremendously. So take the platter comment with a grain of salt. I don't know whether CDJ platters are a little laggy regardless. They certainly feels laggier than even timecoded vinyl at a higher latency to me (mk1/mk2 irrelevant).
Hyman Werness
yeah dope is right.. you'll need 2 USB... the LINK feature just sends tracks... the usb is a somewhat for HID control so you can manipulate the software from the deck.
Kasi Marget
2 usb ports, i'm 90% sure.
Pioneer's Link is meant only to allow you to use a single USB stick or external hard drive with up to 4 players linked together.
Ming Devis
If you are using 2000's with Traktor do you only have to hook one up to your laptop with a USB cable and use the link cable for the other one? Or do you need to use 2 ports?
Gigi Weese
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
In all of the time I've been using CDJs, the only reason I've ever had to look at that side of the screen is to see playing track info, because 2000s don't automatically flip the the info screen when you load a track. I don't see why you would need that kind of info on the fly, when it should be affiliated with the folder level above the one you're in, or the search string. Like if you were browsing by artist, why would you need to see the artist name, when you already filtered by the artist name? Same with BPM, key, etc.
The info is relevant to me if I browse a Genre folder which I usually do. I usually have various version of a track e.g. a shortcut, full and original. Eventhough I know most tracks by heart the Length of the track as well as BPM info can be relevant. A picture says more then a thousand words.

Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by defmd
You only see the track info of the track playing. The point is to see the info of the track your selecting like BPM, version and Key info.
In all of the time I've been using CDJs, the only reason I've ever had to look at that side of the screen is to see playing track info, because 2000s don't automatically flip the the info screen when you load a track. I don't see why you would need that kind of info on the fly, when it should be affiliated with the folder level above the one you're in, or the search string. Like if you were browsing by artist, why would you need to see the artist name, when you already filtered by the artist name? Same with BPM, key, etc.
Gigi Weese
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
No, they've said it isn't possible to display info in the browse screen, because of how browser tags are loaded. To see track info on the loaded track, press info.
You only see the track info of the track playing. The point is to see the info of the track your selecting like BPM, version and Key info.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by ekwipt
Pioneer engineers have said its not possible to get all the info on the display using Advanced HID.

Time to hack CDJ firmware?
No, they've said it isn't possible to display info in the browse screen, because of how browser tags are loaded. To see track info on the loaded track, press info.
Gigi Weese
Just finished a set of 6 hours without looking at the laptop at all. The Laptop was actually out of sight and I can confirm the Advanced HID worked flawless.
Eloy Kiepke
Originally Posted by GPS
I can't seem to understand why this advanced HID is that big of a deal. Im not trying to sound mean, but if you are going to have traktor plugged in anyways, why does it matter what you can see on the CDJ screens? My friend uses traktor with cdj 2000s connected via audio 8.

Basically, what benefits does this have beyond being able to see (very basic) info ont he cdj screen?
Because of the school of thought that having a laptop on stage hurts your performance, and puts a wall up between you and your audience. Many of us who use laptops HATE having to have them. This advanced HID would allow some of us to perform with a closed laptop, if it worked correctly.
Rochel Gleese
Pioneer engineers have said its not possible to get all the info on the display using Advanced HID.

Time to hack CDJ firmware?
Takisha Hodulik
Originally Posted by Louie_V
Its about latency. when you pitch bend on timecode it takes a small fraction of a second for traktor to pickup your pitch bend, or scratch, or any adjustment. With HID (more specifically advanced HID) the time it takes for traktor to respond to any adjustment is a much smaller fraction. Basically put, your cutting out the middleman. Your no longer interacting with a cd thats interacting with an audio processor to translate your interactions to a piece of software, your basically interacting with the software directly... or something like that.

hopefully that made sense.

oh and info relaying back to the screen of the CDJ is also a very nice plus.
Now that's a lot better

Question: does it also change the needed setup required? From what Ive seen my friend's setup is mainly connected via an NI audio 8.

Thanks!
Shantae Faile
Originally Posted by GPS
I can't seem to understand why this advanced HID is that big of a deal. Im not trying to sound mean, but if you are going to have traktor plugged in anyways, why does it matter what you can see on the CDJ screens? My friend uses traktor with cdj 2000s connected via audio 8.

Basically, what benefits does this have beyond being able to see (very basic) info ont he cdj screen?
Its about latency. when you pitch bend on timecode it takes a small fraction of a second for traktor to pickup your pitch bend, or scratch, or any adjustment. With HID (more specifically advanced HID) the time it takes for traktor to respond to any adjustment is a much smaller fraction. Basically put, your cutting out the middleman. Your no longer interacting with a cd thats interacting with an audio processor to translate your interactions to a piece of software, your basically interacting with the software directly... or something like that.

hopefully that made sense.

oh and info relaying back to the screen of the CDJ is also a very nice plus.
Takisha Hodulik

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy