CDJ 2000 Nexus finally here

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: CDJ 2000 Nexus finally hereReply
CDJ 2000 Nexus finally here
Posted on: 31.08.2012 by Marquetta Sarnie
Arla Seniw
Wtf... Why not just use the official picture instead of one missing buttons etc.
Tatum Ansaldo
Lol, check out the picture dolphinmusic is using:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/articl...ltiplayer.html
Hyman Werness
Most ableton jockeys bring their own gear minus decks... anyone in particular you are believeing about?
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by djproben
A lot of people are saying this - why would you expect something amazing? It's a CD player. For what it is it looks damn nice; like they finally got right what they were trying to do with the 2000.
Yep good point, I was expecting something brand new but it's an updated deck - a MKII - and the updates are worthy and well done, I take it back
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by wampaone
there is... book a real headliner!!!
So, are you saying if you want to go big time, you aren't going to get around working with CDJs? What about the Ableton Jockey's out there?

scamo
Hyman Werness
most riders i have come across accept 1000's... some do want serato/traktor.... i have yet to see 1 with a controller. Even Porter Robinson will play on 1000's now... and he was an s4 fan for as long as i can remember... but he brought his own. I have the djm-900 and 850's but i want the Nexus for myself as well... a lot of cool new things to mess with and i like the scolling wav form of all the new features... not more laptop! and the key identifier whatever that is specifically called.
Peggy Gabrielson
Originally Posted by wampaone
hehe point taken but do you really want a headliner who refuses to play at your club because you dont have cdjs? danny howells can rock the party on 1000s...1210s or a freakin' set of bongo drums (ok maybe not the last one).
Hyman Werness
Originally Posted by sebastiannz
yeah but the cdj900 probably won't have the nice screen...so again going backwards in terms of 'matching' laptop + DVS. kinda paradoxical how the most expensive setup is just catching up to the laptop systems. there should be shit you can only do on the cdjs and not on a laptop + controller, but...there isn't.
Peggy Gabrielson
Originally Posted by DJ JesC
If the cdj-2000 are too expensive just wait for the cdj-900 nexus?
yeah but the cdj900 probably won't have the nice screen...so again going backwards in terms of 'matching' laptop + DVS. kinda paradoxical how the most expensive setup is just catching up to the laptop systems. there should be shit you can only do on the cdjs and not on a laptop + controller, but...there isn't.
Johnetta Olewine
aaah fair enough.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by oliosky
What about the relatively large amount of DJs that prefer not to use CDJs and use turntables and Serato/Traktor instead? Are they cheaping out too?

Traktor et al allows those DJs who have no time for CDJs (myself included) to use real records and timecode for those digital only tunes, all with that real turntable feel. There is no hardware solution that allows all that.
I included pure vinyl emulation as a caveat in one of my first posts...
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
Why would you use Live for DJing? You use a pair of CDJs for DJing, and Live/Drumbox for sample triggering and sound layering. Stripped back to the basics, every non-playback related feature of Traktor/VDJ can be accomplished much easier and with much more power with external solutions. And the playback functions work much smoother with discrete hardware (CDJs). The difference is the cost of an MPC for sample triggers, a Live license for clip triggers and effects, and the CDJ setup. Vs the ~$100 a Traktor license costs with a stopgap "all inclusive" loadout.
What about the relatively large amount of DJs that prefer not to use CDJs and use turntables and Serato/Traktor instead? Are they cheaping out too?

Traktor et al allows those DJs who have no time for CDJs (myself included) to use real records and timecode for those digital only tunes, all with that real turntable feel. There is no hardware solution that allows all that.
Nancey Inderlied
I disagree. Workflow is part of the software's job, and DJ software has a specific workflow geared towards mixing songs together. Live and MPC have totally different purposes from that; while Live can be used for DJing, it's kind of kludgy, although no doubt some people prefer it. It doesn't (to me) lend itself to the kind of spontaneous mixing that Traktor or Serato encourage. Part of that is just to do with the library features, which are awful in Live.
Why would you use Live for DJing? You use a pair of CDJs for DJing, and Live/Drumbox for sample triggering and sound layering. Stripped back to the basics, every non-playback related feature of Traktor/VDJ can be accomplished much easier and with much more power with external solutions. And the playback functions work much smoother with discrete hardware (CDJs). The difference is the cost of an MPC for sample triggers, a Live license for clip triggers and effects, and the CDJ setup. Vs the ~$100 a Traktor license costs with a stopgap "all inclusive" loadout.
Cristian Carmona
If the cdj-2000 are too expensive just wait for the cdj-900 nexus?
Danae Dumler
There's nothing that Traktor/VDJ/etc accomplish that can't be accomplished better by patching in a few channels of Live and an MPC. The difference is the price.
I disagree. Workflow is part of the software's job, and DJ software has a specific workflow geared towards mixing songs together. Live and MPC have totally different purposes from that; while Live can be used for DJing, it's kind of kludgy, although no doubt some people prefer it. It doesn't (to me) lend itself to the kind of spontaneous mixing that Traktor or Serato encourage. Part of that is just to do with the library features, which are awful in Live.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by mwn11
I was only using Traktor as an example, Serato, VDJ etc etc all fall under the same believe i was talking about.

Also I've highlighted that you have mentioned software again when your initial statement was that

"DJ software irritates me, and I really see it as a price bridge."

Look at the Chris Liebling interview on the blog and you will see what i mean about software opening doors.
DJ software. Not software in general. Ableton, a Machine/MPC, or a Reaktor Effects rack are not DJ software in any way. Traktor is DJ software, and attempts to bring empty boring shells of those software into an affordable "DJ friendly" package.

There's nothing that Traktor/VDJ/etc accomplish that can't be accomplished better by patching in a few channels of Live and an MPC. The difference is the price.
Arla Seniw
No, it's given people the ability to afford all of those features. There isn't a single "possibility" that Traktor "opens up" that can't be accomplished better by other discrete pieces of software or hardware. You can sync Ableton to virtually anything.
I was only using Traktor as an example, Serato, VDJ etc etc all fall under the same believe i was talking about.

Also I've highlighted that you have mentioned software again when your initial statement was that

"DJ software irritates me, and I really see it as a price bridge."

Look at the Chris Liebling interview on the blog and you will see what i mean about software opening doors.
Ethelene Acors
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Like Denon's latest players do using their Engine software, which also features an iOS / Android app for browsing over wireless.
And a motorised platter (3900).
And slip mode, in fact all the new CDJ2000 Nexus features.
And they're a third cheaper.

I really wish they could break the Pio stronghold in clubs.

Denon players with A&H mixers is so much better than Pioneers stuff (imo).

edit: Actually the new screen on the CDJ2000 Nexus is pretty fantastic, but thats the only thing better than Denons latest decks (again imo).

It's been a while since I touched a denon deck. I used to have a residency at a bar (granted this is years back) that had a pair of Denons. I believe it was the 3500s? Not sure.
Anyways, they sucked so bad, very unreliable, the touch and feel of it felt like plastic, the rotating platter was awful to work with.

I imagine they've come a long way since then, I wouldn't know. But based on my experience I would hesitate before getting any denons anywhere.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by mwn11
Affordability definitely my favourite feature...

As for just being a price bridge, software has opened up possibilities that would of never been possible without e.g syncing Traktor and Ableton and the endless opportunities that creates.
No, it's given people the ability to afford all of those features. There isn't a single "possibility" that Traktor "opens up" that can't be accomplished better by other discrete pieces of software or hardware. You can sync Ableton to virtually anything.
Arla Seniw
Affordability definitely my favourite feature...

As for just being a price bridge, software has opened up possibilities that would of never been possible without e.g syncing Traktor and Ableton and the endless opportunities that creates.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
If scrolling waveforms an sync are the 2 least useful features, what are the useful ones?
Affordability? Or maybe technically timecode vinyl emulation. That isnt a question I really have an answer to. DJ software irritates me, and I really see it as a price bridge. We've just raised an entire generation of DJs on it, so it's accepted within the cost ratios it occupies.
Tatum Ansaldo
If scrolling waveforms an sync are the 2 least useful features, what are the useful ones?
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
With these CDJs you now have what is essentially a big and expensive version of a traktor setup ready for you in a club, and all you need to bring is a USB stick or your phone/tablet. I know that you can use USB sticks with the 2000s and 900s but personally I really like having a scrolling waveform, quantised loops and all the rest of it. I've been using SSL for quite a while now so I'm used to doing without sync, but I don't believe it's by any means a bad thing that it's there. As that Kutski post points out, 2000s read BPM info to 2 decimal places so sync is just a logical next step.

I believe what we're seeing is Pioneer catching up with software and making the CDJ not just an alternative way of doing things but a comparable one feature wise. Y'all know about my gear addiction and that I own way too much stuff, but I'm really believeing of selling a load off and buying a pair of these.
I don't really see anything this player adds in terms of rivaling software, save for the scrolling waveforms and sync, the two least useful features of a DVS. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say that the 2000Nexus bridging a software setup, the 2000s already did that with Rekordbox analysis. Literally the only significant new "bridge" is a ton of information that you don't really use anyway. All of the cueing, quantizing, and analyzing has been in place for several years now.
Florene Tolo
Originally Posted by deevey
Any installation that plans on using it will have a router dedicated to the DJ rig, never felt it was an issue.. having a wifi router built in would have been exceptionally handy though and cheap as chips to implement.
Integrated would be the best solution, but another easy method for now would be to be an Apple Airport Express. They're small, compact, and can be just taken out and plugged into any power bar for instant wireless.
Marquetta Sarnie
Wow now you can get a pair of CDJs 2000 for 2000
Rey Holubar
I'd like to see what a Vodka Red Bull would do to these CDJs if spilled upon.

scamo
Tatum Ansaldo
they have now made the transition from bedroom setup to the club a million times more within reasonable reach.
This says it for me. People say this isn't a big update, but as far as I'm concerned it's the first CDJ that rivals a modern software setup for features. (Bear in mind everything I'm about to say is related to traditional track mixing, not controllerism and the like).

We've talked for ages about the CDJ dying out and controllers replacing it, but let's face it a laptop is annoying to have to take to a gig. Someone could spill a drink on it, you could have any number of hardware or software malfunctions. Not to say that you will definitely have those problems, many of us use laptops for DJing and never have a hitch, but taking a laptop into a club environment is far from an ideal solution.

With these CDJs you now have what is essentially a big and expensive version of a traktor setup ready for you in a club, and all you need to bring is a USB stick or your phone/tablet. I know that you can use USB sticks with the 2000s and 900s but personally I really like having a scrolling waveform, quantised loops and all the rest of it. I've been using SSL for quite a while now so I'm used to doing without sync, but I don't believe it's by any means a bad thing that it's there. As that Kutski post points out, 2000s read BPM info to 2 decimal places so sync is just a logical next step.

I believe what we're seeing is Pioneer catching up with software and making the CDJ not just an alternative way of doing things but a comparable one feature wise. Y'all know about my gear addiction and that I own way too much stuff, but I'm really believeing of selling a load off and buying a pair of these.
Rolanda Clodfelder
A) The SC2900/3900 are full standalone players, no laptop required to play on them. The player will do everything that is available in Engine by its self.
Sorry, by standalone I had meant to actually run the Engine software you need a full computer running engine connected to them as well not just the iPad and nothing else.

B) The SC2900/3900 both have waveforms on the built-in screen when analyzed by Engine, the same as Pioneer with Rekordbox. Granted the display on the CDJ-2000 is vastly superior..but waveform information is there on the player.
Hadnt even noticed there were waveforms on the screen LOL they really are that bad.

C) Engine can be fully run on an I-pad, Netbook or Laptop with no restrictions that I am aware of.
The Ipad needs to be linked to an psyical computer over wireless to run engine though, not standalone.

A) Like the SC2900/3900 you still need a wireless router to make it all work. Funny how when Denon introduced the I-pad thing everyone was screaming about needing to carry a router with them...how about now that Pioneer is making you carry one with you...is it all good now?
Any installation that plans on using it will have a router dedicated to the DJ rig, never felt it was an issue.. having a wifi router built in would have been exceptionally handy though and cheap as chips to implement.

B) Not sure if you can prep music on the I-pad with Engine but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible in a future version of Engine.
You can but only so long as you are connected over wireless to the computer - thats its real limitation and something that I despised on first seeing the engine on ipad ... now I would eed to bring 2 computing devices to a gig rather than just an ipad

C) There is no denying that Denon dropped the ball here.
No Argument from here, I had posted up about the foreseeable issues I had with above Denon's Engine/2900/3900 ecosystem somewhere here before when it was released with engine.

Pioneer have pretty much nailed all the issues I had with the Denon system. Dont get me wrong I LOVE the Denon platters, I really like their mixers, and I loved the "idea" of their engine software, just felt that it was almost there - but not quite and as a result of that (along with lack of bigname support and marketing) will never be a "club standard" deck - and its a crying shame too.
Ulysses Vittetoe
Originally Posted by DJ Bob
I believe it's a great improvement on the mk1. Pioneer nailed a lot of things on this update it seems. The best just got a lot better...
Yeah they actually added A LOT of features, and it's not even a completely new player.
Amira Gotcher
A lot of people are saying this - why would you expect something amazing? It's a CD player. For what it is it looks damn nice; like they finally got right what they were trying to do with the 2000.
I believe it's a great improvement on the mk1. Pioneer nailed a lot of things on this update it seems. The best just got a lot better...
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Very underwhelmed, expected something amazing...
Edmundo Kivisto
Also

The Denon's engine software

A) Computer linked to player at all time
B) Uses the Ipad/laptop as the ONLY waveform display
c) IPad software Cannot work WITHOUT a laptop

While the Pioneer system

A) Works with an ipad Standalone.
B) Allows you to edit and prepare music with an Ipad ONLY
C) Already have a Gorgeous Display.

The way I see it, using Engine with Denon's machines is a necessity rather than a choice, at least if you want a waveform.

For me the real win is not requiring a laptop to play a gig.
Correction:

Engine
A) The SC2900/3900 are full standalone players, no laptop required to play on them. The player will do everything that is available in Engine by its self.

B) The SC2900/3900 both have waveforms on the built-in screen when analyzed by Engine, the same as Pioneer with Rekordbox. Granted the display on the CDJ-2000 is vastly superior..but waveform information is there on the player.

C) Engine can be fully run on an I-pad, Netbook or Laptop with no restrictions that I am aware of.

Pioneer

A) Like the SC2900/3900 you still need a wireless router to make it all work. Funny how when Denon introduced the I-pad thing everyone was screaming about needing to carry a router with them...how about now that Pioneer is making you carry one with you...is it all good now?

B) Not sure if you can prep music on the I-pad with Engine but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible in a future version of Engine.

C) There is no denying that Denon dropped the ball here.
Rosina Steinkuehler
So over on DigitalDJTips they are claiming that the new CDJ2k basically 'pushes' content to the player. Does anyone have any info on this?

Honestly this is my only gripe with this new version ... Well except the price!
Cira Ditz
Still reading so many angry and negative posts about mainly the Sync on various places.

But just read Kutski's post and tbh am very much agreeing with him

"A lot of people moaning that the new CDJ2000 mk2 have sync... Do they not know if you just slide the pitch so the BPM reads the same on both CDJ's it basically does the same already? #NotThatBiggerDeal"
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by dj gullum
From a video demo I saw for the XDJ Aero you can control the USB liberary conected to the hardware trough your iPad so I'll asum you could do the same with CDJ 2000 nexus although I do not see a real reason to have an iPad connected. You get all the same info or even more on the display on the players anyway.
If you normally prepare everything on the Ipad / phone/ tablet rather than your laptop it makes sense. For on-the-fly searching for music it makes even more so IMHO as you have the keyboard and bigger screen to quickly scroll though the covers.

I deffo wont be buying a pair, but they have now made the transition from bedroom setup to the club a million times more within reasonable reach.
Ashanti Andreacchio
Originally Posted by souldancer
So, can we control rekordbox true an ipad with the actual music on a seperate harddrive like engine, or do i need the music to be stored on the same ipad where rekordbox is on. I can't seem to find the right info on this. As for easy search with keyboard this is a major issue.
From a video demo I saw for the XDJ Aero you can control the USB liberary conected to the hardware trough your iPad so I'll asum you could do the same with CDJ 2000 nexus although I do not see a real reason to have an iPad connected. You get all the same info or even more on the display on the players anyway.
Dorcas Bassignani
The buffer is massive.. if you watched the Aero video, after about 30 seconds on-air, it gave the DJ almost 2 mins+ of play time, I believe it buffers as fast as the bandwidth allows for.

Also

While the Pioneer system

The way I see it, using Engine with Denon's machines is a necessity rather than a choice, at least if you want a waveform.

you mean like this?
Rolanda Clodfelder
As much as this player costs you would believe they would have increased the buffer size so you do not need this "emergency loop mode". IE: they should have pushed the tracks to the players instead of streaming.

Like Denon's latest players do using their Engine software, which also features an iOS / Android app for browsing over wireless.
The buffer is massive.. if you watched the Aero video, after about 30 seconds on-air, it gave the DJ almost 2 mins+ of play time, I believe it buffers as fast as the bandwidth allows for.

Also

While the Pioneer system

Jessi Therkildsen
Originally Posted by Geek
I honestly don't know when I had this much laughs and fun about a product-release

I've been reading community 's and facebook all day and been smiling and laughing to all "true dj's" complaining to Pioneer for adding the sync-button. "You have ruined DJ-ing!" and "I'll never buy a Pioneer product again!". Oh, c'mon

Fact: The button's there. Deal with it.

A question? Is the sync-using Dj less of a Dj because he/she don't beatmatch by ear? In my opinion no, alltho that spared time could/should be used to something else creative, let it be effects, composition, live-remixing or whatever. And by the way. Beatmatch manually 2 decks + 2 remix-decks in Traktor? Yeah, how many of You do it for whole evening, hours? Or even whole set, one hour? Not many.

Be realistic dudes/dudettes, the buttons there, You don't like, superglue it!

Just my two cent's. And for the record, I'm 42, did beatmatching by ear from 1984. When are You born?
Great post! Couldn't have said it (much) better myself. Same to everything. All except I'm only 34 and beatmatching by ear since 1996(ish). Still do too!
Ciara Cuttill
Originally Posted by Geek
Fact: The button's there. Deal with it.
agreed.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy