scratch videos

scratch videos
Posted on: 30.01.2013 by Yong Aptekar
I know that we have a "who scratches" thread, but let's make this one the "post your scratch videos" thread. I got my superseal 2 records today, so I will have a new video to post.

Let's learn from eachothers videos, and who knows, maybe we can have a DJTT DMC comp.
Nelida Ghouse
haha nice bump, here's my latest:

Breanne Penge
Keepin it alive with a little scratch practice...

Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by hipnopath
Haha! I've had that 1200, I just like the TTX for it's ultrapitch range. I always swap the two out. I actually bought that pair of 1200s with flightcases for $350 shipped from GuitarCenter! I called in because I was going to buy only one and the representative on the phone said, "Wait, these are being sold in a pair... there's another one of these somewhere..." I pretty much was in ecstasy.
guitar center always has a good deal on 1200s you just have to be persistent...they bought a ton of them when Technics stopped production b/c they thought the demand and value would shoot up...SO, now multiple GC's have 1200s sitting on idle collecting dust...even worse...there sales associates don't even know what a turntable is...haha
Verona Spradlin
Haha! I've had that 1200, I just like the TTX for it's ultrapitch range. I always swap the two out. I actually bought that pair of 1200s with flightcases for $350 shipped from GuitarCenter! I called in because I was going to buy only one and the representative on the phone said, "Wait, these are being sold in a pair... there's another one of these somewhere..." I pretty much was in ecstasy.
Federico Vilas
@hipnopath, nice to see you have found a matching 1200 to complete your set!
Lilliana Perris
Good job dude!!!

Damn!
Verona Spradlin
Just made this little promo for a custom battle record!

Nelida Ghouse
Larue Ostmeyer
Hell yeah! I'm pumped to see Vekked in this thread!
Maryellen Buffett
Spent the last hour at work runnin through some of the clips...
Epic stuff.... The last hour has flown!

Home time now

Boom
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by dripstep
To add to vekkeds last part, pick up one of qberts breationary battle records. The have 1-4 ish minute breaks. And lots of them. Find one you like and practice with it until you are fluid. Then pick a new break.

Or a Looper!

They are great!
Elisa Zappa
Dude thanks most of the scratch was inprov and when ever I blanked I just crabed so I will work on making chirp stab combos and I'll practice my beat juggling and puttin them on beat. Thanks again and hey maybe one day we will run into each other at a battle in,a few years
Yong Aptekar
To add to vekkeds last part, pick up one of qberts breationary battle records. The have 1-4 ish minute breaks. And lots of them. Find one you like and practice with it until you are fluid. Then pick a new break.
Lilliana Perris
Good advice there Vekked!!!
Nelida Ghouse
Chappy - good start. I liked how you kept things moving and tried different samples/techniques throughout the routine so it wasn't too repetitive. Technique-wise it was still a bit sloppy, so I'd focus on drilling your basic techniques for a while and get them tightened up. It seems like you're relying a bit much on crabs with your scratching instead of more foundation/controlled scratches. Crabs should sort just be like an extra spice, but not really your main technique. Practice stabs and chirps, get them clean and fast and it'll help your overall scratching A LOT. With the juggling just make sure on your looping you're not hearing any of the back spin at all, and dropping it exactly on beat. Get looping down then worry about more patterns later.

I'd also say instead of trying to make a 5 minute long routine with everything, try to focus on making shorter routines focusing on just scratching for a whole routine, or just beat juggling for a whole routine. It's really hard to make a long routine that's good quality for just about anyone, and especially when you're still beginning it's better to focus on quality over quantity. Doing like a 1 minute scratch routine and making sure it's quality from start to finish, or a 1 minute beat juggle that's good straight through, rather than 5 minute that has some filler and stuff in it. Keep it up!
Elisa Zappa
I made my second routine. I am 16 years old and have been scratching for a year. some advice would be nice
Federico Vilas
well, after a couple weeks of trying to figure out the autobahn scratch my brain and coordination clicked last evening and I mysteriously got it down... weird BUT nice to add another scratch...
Federico Vilas
Got my new innofader pro installed in my 57-sl... took me a good hour to get used to the difference BUT much sharper and cleaner cuts then what i'm used to with my vestax mixers (even with the lag cls-1 lag spacer)...hardest part of the install was centering the curve for calibration
Nelida Ghouse
Oh you! <3

Edit: Vekksie, do you happen to know where I can find that IDA intro and outro track? Shit's funky!
It is! The track is actually from the 2012 IDA Promo video.
Verona Spradlin
Originally Posted by Vekked
yea man, I reverse my xfader and channel faders... if you have any questions feel free to ask, the main reason I signed up was to help up and comers out where I can
Oh you! <3

Edit: Vekksie, do you happen to know where I can find that IDA intro and outro track? Shit's funky!
Nelida Ghouse
yea man, I reverse my xfader and channel faders... if you have any questions feel free to ask, the main reason I signed up was to help up and comers out where I can
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Vekked
My DMC Online routine from last year:

One of my IDA routines with material I didn't use in DMC online:

Oh hi there hipno, the PTU juggle is coming along nicely, haha
you know what would be dope...some vekked how to's and tricks, he's got the reverse game on lock b/c i'm pretty sure he reverses channels too if i'm not mistaken
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by teambama
This was shot a while ago, when i first was learning how to use the hamster switch.

The real reason I'm posting is I can not find this break in my collection. Can't remember the name & can't find it? anyone know?

you are going to love the vestax 07 pro I just sold you. It's great for scratching and has reverse for EVERYTHING...I tried to learn hamster and just cant do it since my brain is programmed to work in regular mode...I may try it again one day but for now I'll use the line faders as my hamster switch haha

I already miss my mixer and I haven't even shipped it out yet...wanted one more day with my baby, haha
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by fokaisnake
Not one of my videos but watching this guy cut it up on the Z2 gets me a stoked.

sick video, best part is dude is sitting down, effortless
Yong Aptekar
Vekked, those routines are what im talking about!!
Nelida Ghouse
My DMC Online routine from last year:

One of my IDA routines with material I didn't use in DMC online:

Oh hi there hipno, the PTU juggle is coming along nicely, haha
Verona Spradlin

Ignore my comment at the beginning, lol.
Nevada Edgette
Not one of my videos but watching this guy cut it up on the Z2 gets me a stoked.

Reda Holdsworth
This was shot a while ago, when i first was learning how to use the hamster switch.

The real reason I'm posting is I can not find this break in my collection. Can't remember the name & can't find it? anyone know?

Patrica Matcek
Just came back into the community here and saw this had been started.. Good stuff! Will post vid soon!
Vince Presutto
Here's mine

Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
I just play a song internally in traktor and loop through DVS. I start off around 80bpm and work my way up until I can no longer perform the scratch in time... i've just about got the swing flare and scribble down after about a week of practice
Yep...you see I have not gone and started with specific scratch techniques and practiced each till I have it down.

I have just been freestyling till now.

I have learnt that the scratches I can do are the Transform, Crab, Babies, and a few combo's of that.

I can flare and orbit, but not 2 clicks and combo's.

I put this down to practicing to songs and just mucking around, and being stoned.

I have started (with the looper) with the individual scratches and need to work my way up proper.
Got all the Scratch tutorial vids etc....just need to follow em, while not stoned.

FOCUS!!

Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by Tornesoul
hey sarasin, i've seen a few loopers here and there. Its a flash based program with loops to jam over right?

just wondering why is it much btr then just looping some songs over? just started learning to scratch! do u have any looper to recommend?

a vid would be awesome

Hey, because songs change all the time and you do not get to repeat ...repeat ....repeat. With the looper, there is like 24 different loops on the one Looper tool, so you can change up as soon as you get bored with it.

But for me, it was allowing me to focus on the beat and get my practice down of certain combo's and scratches.

It also helped me find what works in certain situations. I just discovered a lot. It took the focus off the song that was playing and put the focus on my scratching. The Looper is just a simple loop and allows you to add your melody or FX over it.

You could do the same in the DVS and loop part of a track etc....but this was fun!

Federico Vilas
I just play a song internally in traktor and loop through DVS. I start off around 80bpm and work my way up until I can no longer perform the scratch in time... i've just about got the swing flare and scribble down after about a week of practice
Precious Pequignot
Originally Posted by sarasin
Had a great practice session last evening . I dont get to practice my scratching that often. Dying to post a vid...SOON!

Till now, I have been practicing to normal tunes. Whether its Dubstep, Electro....hip hop etc.

Last evening , I used a Looper for the first time. Its a flash based tool and was coming out my Channel A (External Mixing) and that is the channel I use to scratch. So that was not gonna work, as I use TSP and no real vinyl.

Then I remembered the FX Loop on my mixer (YAY for Xone:22). So I set my Mac's prefs to internal sound and used a Mini Stereo jack to RCA cable from the Mac's sound card to the FX Send.

BOOM!

I found that practicing with a Looper is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than scratching to songs.

After an hour of practice, I was very happy with the result. Rocking lil combo's etc.

Loopers ROCK!
hey sarasin, i've seen a few loopers here and there. Its a flash based program with loops to jam over right?

just wondering why is it much btr then just looping some songs over? just started learning to scratch! do u have any looper to recommend?

a vid would be awesome
Lilliana Perris
Had a great practice session last evening . I dont get to practice my scratching that often. Dying to post a vid...SOON!

Till now, I have been practicing to normal tunes. Whether its Dubstep, Electro....hip hop etc.

Last evening , I used a Looper for the first time. Its a flash based tool and was coming out my Channel A (External Mixing) and that is the channel I use to scratch. So that was not gonna work, as I use TSP and no real vinyl.

Then I remembered the FX Loop on my mixer (YAY for Xone:22). So I set my Mac's prefs to internal sound and used a Mini Stereo jack to RCA cable from the Mac's sound card to the FX Send.

BOOM!

I found that practicing with a Looper is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than scratching to songs.

After an hour of practice, I was very happy with the result. Rocking lil combo's etc.

Loopers ROCK!
Precious Pequignot
Oh my God, now I feel really stupid, haha. Yes, that technique is basic trick mixing or "rocking doubles" where one track is one or two beats ahead of another and you fade between them. Angelo also has a great tutorial over that.

5:30.

much appreciated! thank you!
Yong Aptekar
anyone remember this track?
Federico Vilas
I wish I would have started scratching at 16, I didn't start DJ'ing until my sophomore year in college summer of....2001. I've been DJ'ing parties on/off for the last 12 years, didn't start scratching until a couple years ago, but for the time that I do practice I do pretty well...now I have a better job so i get about 1hr of practice in/day but that's for both mixing and scratching
Verona Spradlin
Originally Posted by Tornesoul
u talking about ur 1st video? the part where it says "let me explains whos talking" haha im confused
Oh my God, now I feel really stupid, haha. Yes, that technique is basic trick mixing or "rocking doubles" where one track is one or two beats ahead of another and you fade between them. Angelo also has a great tutorial over that.

5:30.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy