USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4Reply
USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4
Posted on: 11.06.2012 by Dominick Majia
Hi All,

Just wondering what have been people's experience with using the Traktor S4 with a USB3 connection.

If not supported, are there any plans on future support?

Thanks.
Cinda Barackman
damn, well hopefully it'll get sorted b4 saturday...
Allan Neubert
I was actually referring to the NI interfaces, NI went into an agreement with XMOS to use their integrated solutions last year and I believe the A6/A10 were the first interfaces to use that.

I don't recall whether anyone tried on an air or if it was all MBP, but with Ivy Bridge the USB 3.0 support is via Intel (specifically through the new Panther Point PCH's). The air being a ULV most likely does have a different PCH than the MBP's, but I'd be surprised if the USB 3.0 portion was any different, so odds are your A4 isn't going to work.
Cinda Barackman
damn. but no one has tried it with a macbook air so far as I can tell from all the community s I've checked...though as frequencym mentioned, the macbook air still has a separate USB2 controller chip in addition to a custom intel controller for USB3...so I'm still believing it might work...otherwise this weekend's gig will be straight internal through the headphone jack......
Allan Neubert
Originally Posted by djmarkbrown
just ordered a 2012 macbook air, fingers crossed that it will work with my A4 and my X1...will let y'all know how it fares..
Taking what has been posted on the NI community s at face value, there have been reports of the A4/A8/S4 not working and the A6/A10 working (haven't seen anybody post about the S2). "Working" in this case being plugged it into a mac and gave it a quick try, i.e. nobody has done a set on it yet. If those accounts are accurate then sadly your A4 isn't going to work with your new Mac.

If you're looking for a potential difference which would explain why the A6/A10 work and everything else does not, I believe that the A6/A10 interfaces use XMOS chips for their I/O and none of the other mentioned NI interfaces do.
Cinda Barackman
Originally Posted by manchild
I'm surprised by their answer. I woulda expected that they e-mailed you back w/ some generic response, that doesnt have anything to do w/ ur question, with a link to some page about laptop optimizations
that is their new generic response for the issue...I also emailed them, specifically asking if their gear works with the new retina MBP and that's what I got.
Cinda Barackman
just ordered a 2012 macbook air, fingers crossed that it will work with my A4 and my X1...will let y'all know how it fares..
Addie Engbrecht
Originally Posted by dex7aa
Just recieved answer from NI support team
I'm surprised by their answer. I woulda expected that they e-mailed you back w/ some generic response, that doesnt have anything to do w/ ur question, with a link to some page about laptop optimizations
Diamond Lougheed
Just recieved answer from NI support team

We are in the process of testing the new MacBook models with our hardware
products. We will update the compatibility information on our website when these
tests are concluded. In the moment we cannot guarantee that the USB 3.0 ports of
the new MacBooks are fully compatible with our hardware products.

Best regards
Mark, Native Instruments Support Team
Allan Neubert
iFixIt has torn down a new Air. Interesting things according to the teardown. The logic board still has a USB2 controller on it (SMSC USB251x) and the Intel PCH appears to be a custom part; iFixIt has no link, it's not listed with the standard Intel Ivy Bridge PCH parts, and googling the part number comes up with no hits. The PCH should be what's controlling the USB3 ports (no idea why there is a USB2 controller on the board), but if it's a non-standard part then USB3 working or not working on any other laptop will have nothing to do with whether it works on this laptop.
Nedra Fresneda
Don't rush to buy one until NI has given an official statement on the matter.
Allan Neubert
There have been reported issues with using NI audio interfaces on USB3 ports. However, Ivy Bridge is the first chance to have USB3 as part of the Intel chipset, so problems with 3rd party chipsets does not necessarily mean that there will be problems with IB computers (which all the new Mac's are). If there are problems, then NI are going to have to fix them as you cannot buy an Apple laptop with USB2 at this point, but that won't help in the short term if it doesn't work.
Phoebe Mohmand
My understanding of this is that USB 3 is NOT backwards compatible in these areas and currently the advice from NI is not to buy any laptops that have only USB 3 connectivity (which means all the new macbooks)

Anyone have any further info on this?
Diamond Lougheed
definitely looks like the new MBP usb3.0 ports don't work prorerly atm

NI just update PC driver, latest from 07 june
maybe they allready working on new Mac driver(or what it there calls ^^) to fix that

here the thread on NI community with some comments of new MPB owners on there
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=169348

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy