USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4Reply
USB3 (New Macbook) with Traktor S4
Posted on: 11.06.2012 by Dominick Majia
Hi All,

Just wondering what have been people's experience with using the Traktor S4 with a USB3 connection.

If not supported, are there any plans on future support?

Thanks.
Eliz Saide
Originally Posted by vinyljunkie001
THIS MIGHT BE THE FIX FOR ALL MBP'S THAT SHIPPED WITH 10.7.4

IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU BE SURE TO THANK NI FORUM MEMEBER......................FEEDSERATONIN
I'M PISSED BECAUSE I HAVE TO WAIT TO GET OUT OF WORK TO GO HOME AND TRY THIS !! FEEEDBACK IS NEEDED..POST YOUR RESULTS

feedserotonin wrote:
It's not too difficult really, once you get the file. I was lucky enough that my brother's MacBook Pro was running 10.7.3 so I got the file.

Here's a link to the Kext File

Here's where to download the Kext Wizard

1) Launch Kext Wizard
2) Select the Installation tab
3) Click Browse and select the Kext file from the folder it was downloaded to
4) Check mark "backup kexts that will be replaced" This option will place a folder on your desktop of the USB 3.0 compatible Kext
5) Be sure the System/Library/Extentions folder is selected as the destination
6) Click Install and wait for the message saying it has completed
7) reboot your system

I hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
---
Just my opinion, everyone needs to stop bashing on Native Instruments, it's clearly not their fault. This is 100% on Apple and Intel for driver incompatibility.

EDIT: Just an FYI, this will cause all USB 3.0 devices run at USB 2.0 speeds. If you want to run your USB 3.0 devices at native speed, just reinstall the backup'd Kext file. It is a bit inconvenient but the best current solution.

I have 10.7.4 can you download this Kext file?

Is it just me or is there no link below where the link is supposed to be. Any working solutions people. I bought a brand new macbook pro because my macbook was only 1gb ram and so i decided to go all out and get the latest macbook pro and now my laptop has gone from being too old to being too advanced all in a matter of days and one month later I still can not play my S4!!!! ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!!! RAGING!
Emilee Dinonno
Originally Posted by DJ JesC
im not 5-0 but some other cats will jump on ALL CAPS and all hell breaks loose.
good point......thanks for saving me from the community trolls....LOL
Karen Schilf
I'm wanting to get a MacBook Pro MD101B/A 13" and was wondering weather there is still issues with the USB 3.0 slots using the traktor s4 .?
Carlee Pickard
So my S4 wasn't working properly, I went ahead and did this. Now the S4 works fine, but my KA6 doesn't work anymore. Prior to me doing this, I could use my KA6 completely fine, and not my S4.

Now the KA6 doesn't show up at all under my Sound devices through my System Preferences. Any ideas on what to do to fix it?

Thanks!
Sam Laseter
Is Pioneer DDJ-T1 working fine with Retina MacBook Pro?
Allan Neubert
http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post506119
Iliana Seanor
A new update from Apple is available: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1556
"it improves compatibility with some USB devices"

I would appropriate if someone could confirm if this solves the USB3+S4 issues. I ordered a new customized MBP (retina) 2 weeks ago and seriously believeing of cancelling the order.

Thanks in advance!
Eliz Saide
I was going to try the kext wizard etc., but I decided I would try one last thing with hope because I never seen anyone else mention it. Although I thought it might have been stupid in doing this ( I always thought someone else would of tried this before me).
However out of curiosity I decided to do it anyway and I am glad to say it worked.

Basically what I did was plug my S4 into a powered external USB hub which was 3.0 enabled, however it was also compatible with 2.0 devices and 1.1. I know there will be some amount of delay but nothing obvious to me on the system I am operating on at the moment and everything has worked a treat so far. Unfortunately I can not give this the full 2 hour test run because I have other projects I need to finished before the end of the evening but hopefully this will be an easy solution for other people with out going through the trouble of somewhat downgrading something you spent so much money on upgrading!!

Manus
Neal Rayome
You don't even need Kext wizard. Download the 10.7.3 update from Apple, use "Pacifist" to extract this update. Find the .kext file that you are looking for. Back up the original and replace it with the one you've just extracted. Go to Applications->Tools->Disk Utility and then repair disk permissions. Restart your Mac and you're good to go.
Eliz Saide
Hey thanks for that however the link to the Kext Wizard is not live anymore or else just is not working for me. Would anyone be able to link me to a working link for the Kext Wizard please?
Celina Jenzen
kext wizard solution also worked for my Audio DJ 8 on 2.9 13inch Macbook Pro with 10.7.4 OSX thanks
Emilee Dinonno
The link should be on the NI community . That's where I got it. Look up community member FEEDSERATONIN. In his original post there are links to the kext wizard and the kext file. This does work believe me. Here is the proof
I played a 2hr set in NYC with my S4 with no probs and the fix was performed 2 days prior to my gig.

2012 MBP (non retina) 2.6ghz, 750g 7200rpm HD, USB 3.0
Eliz Saide

IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU BE SURE TO THANK NI FORUM MEMEBER......................FEEDSERATONIN
I'M PISSED BECAUSE I HAVE TO WAIT TO GET OUT OF WORK TO GO HOME AND TRY THIS !! FEEEDBACK IS NEEDED..POST YOUR RESULTS

feedserotonin wrote:
It's not too difficult really, once you get the file. I was lucky enough that my brother's MacBook Pro was running 10.7.3 so I got the file.

1) Launch Kext Wizard
4) Check mark "backup kexts that will be replaced" This option will place a folder on your desktop of the USB 3.0 compatible Kext
7) reboot your system

---
Just my opinion, everyone needs to stop bashing on Native Instruments, it's clearly not their fault. This is 100% on Apple and Intel for driver incompatibility.

EDIT: Just an FYI, this will cause all USB 3.0 devices run at USB 2.0 speeds. If you want to run your USB 3.0 devices at native speed, just reinstall the backup'd Kext file. It is a bit inconvenient but the best current solution.

I have 10.7.4 can you download this Kext file?

Is it just me or is there no link below where the link is supposed to be. Any working solutions people. I bought a brand new macbook pro because my macbook was only 1gb ram and so i decided to go all out and get the latest macbook pro and now my laptop has gone from being too old to being too advanced all in a matter of days and one month later I still can not play my S4!!!! ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!!! RAGING!
Emilee Dinonno
good point......thanks for saving me from the community trolls....LOL
Cristian Carmona
Sorry internet police !
Emilee Dinonno
vinyljunkie001 easy on the cap locks, i understand that you want to get ur point across but reading & writing in all CAPS is not cool man.
Sorry internet police !
Cristian Carmona
vinyljunkie001 easy on the cap locks, i understand that you want to get ur point across but reading & writing in all CAPS is not cool man.
Emilee Dinonno

feedserotonin wrote:

1) Launch Kext Wizard
7) reboot your system

---

IT WORKS IT WORKS I JUST TRIED IT !! I'm gonna go a full 2hrs to give it the real test.. SPREAD DA WORD IT WORKS>>>THANK YOU FEEDSERATONIN
Emilee Dinonno

feedserotonin wrote:

1) Launch Kext Wizard
7) reboot your system

---

Emilee Dinonno
^^^^^^ No win situation on that one !!
Dina Warmerdam
^ I believe that's the 1.1gb firmware update that ended up messing up the functionality with the audio and USB 3.0.

If you do try it out, let us know the result please.
Emilee Dinonno
CORRECT ME IF I"M WRONG I BELEIVE THIS IS THE PATCH

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1542

I'll try it when I get home and report back

2012 MBP 15" (non retina) 2.6ghz OSX 10.7.4 shipped
Dina Warmerdam
Cross-posted in the NI community :

So, some interesting news...

My retina Macbook Pro arrived today. Was pretty unenthusiastic about giving it a try with my S2.

Powered up my macbook and checked the OS X which happens to be 10.7.4 (11E2068) and installed Traktor Pro 2.5.

Plug in my S2 and give Traktor a go. Low and behold, the sound works fine! I do notice that the "!" triangle does blink repeatedly.

Also, there is a apple software update (firmware) waiting for me in the size of 1.1gb, which claims to fix some USB 3.0 problems. Looks like this same update was for the non-retina MBPs as well.

Anyhow, thought I would share my findings. I wouldn't say that it is 100% compatible, but if you get a retina MBP hold off on the firmware update until furher word from NI to address the potential issues with their testing.

CLIFF NOTES: If you bought a retina macbook pro, don't update the firmware. Even though you have 10.7.4, the S2 will still work for the most part.

In my opinion, I believe NI will be able to resolve the issue with a driver hopefully.
Delena Katherman
I posted this on the NI thread, but thought it might be helpful to repost here.

Ok, so my S4 is working again on USB 3 ports on the new Macbook Pro 15". Here's the deal:

OS X 10.7.4 (latest OS X build) prevents the S4 from working properly. However, it works great with 10.7.3, which is what most of the new MacBooks (non-retina) shipped with. Most people upgrade their software (to 10.7.4) before they even try the S4 or Traktor, and then encounter all the audio problems. Some people have reportedly wiped their hard drive and performed a clean install of 10.7.3, but I spent hours transferring all my music files, samples, etc over to my new Mac so this wasn't an option (also, some people have already sold their old computers!).

Lion has a great feature called Lion Recovery that will let you reinstall Mac OS if you have any problems, but here's the cool part: it reinstalls the build that shipped with your computer, AND it just replaces the system files. All your data is left in tact. I just finished doing this and everything works perfectly.

All you do is hold command-R while your computer is booting, and then (from the menu) select 'Reinstall Mac OS X'. You need an internet connection, and it took hours to download the required files, but it was really easy.

This may be a great solution IF your computer shipped with 10.7.3. I'm not sure how you can tell, but might be worth a try.
Dina Warmerdam
Originally Posted by djmarkbrown
that is their new generic response for the issue...I also emailed them, specifically asking if their gear works with the new retina MBP and that's what I got.
Same goes for me. I also asked for a time estimate because the refund policy for a new macbook is 14 days. They couldn't say and suggested that I refund it in the meantime, since they cannot guarantee a fix.

I do see that they will put out some sort of resolution as a majority of DJs who use Traktor also use macbooks. It's not an option for them not to come up with a solution. Its just a matter of how long.
Cinda Barackman
there are reports on the NI forms that using the thunderbolt display's USB2 ports as a hub still wont fix the issue, so I'm kind of doubting a thunderbolt USB hub will do the trick
Emilee Dinonno
do you believe it will work ? i might have to buy this.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by frequencym
I have not heard a single report of an A2/A4/A8/S4 working, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If you can get an A6 or A10 to try give one of those a shot, people have reported success with those.
I actually purchased the new 15" Macbook Pro yesterday, and it worked beautifully (SMOOTH!) with my S4 for a day. Then earlier today I did a random Mac software update (not sure what it even updated) and now I can't use the S4 for audio. I get the dreaded pops/crackles/hissing. It's the strangest thing, but the fact that a software update caused it to stop working makes me hopefully that there is software solution. The F1 works fine with USB 3 (as does everything on the S4 minus the audio).
Rochel Gleese
Hey team,

So I've been searching for the cheapest solution other than NI fixing the problem and here it is for $200 or so.

http://store1.sonnettech.com/product...roducts_id=353

http://store1.sonnettech.com/product...roducts_id=392

4 ports is a good amount for NI, Soundcard, 2 x X1 & a F1 if you use Maschine as well you might run out of ports
Lina Rawie
My Traktor A6 works fine on my PC when connected via USB 3.0. I'm running Windows though.
Cinda Barackman
been believeing about selling my x1 and a4 and getting a xone k2 anyway...less to carry around...hopefully those wont have problems with USB3...haven't heard anything yet, but haven't dug around too deep yet.
Allan Neubert
Going to test it out with an A2 toevening or tomorrow.
I have not heard a single report of an A2/A4/A8/S4 working, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If you can get an A6 or A10 to try give one of those a shot, people have reported success with those.
Allan Neubert
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
Except for, you know, the massive upgrade all around. NI just can't get their shit together when it comes to firmware. They've had something like a year to get USB 3 or TB support in the firmware, but just haven't recognized it as a progression.
Sadly NI are not alone when it comes to dragging their feet with driver updates. The audio hardware industry as a whole is terrible about this. With USB specifically they've all dragged their feet because they didn't really have to upgrade, pre-Ivy Bridge most laptops had a legacy USB 2.0 port or a combo ESata/USB 2.0 port which worked. Apple changed all that and I'd expect the Ivy Bridge laptops to follow suit.

Originally Posted by Shishdisma
NI has a choice: either get a firmware update in, and soon, or face the reality of virtually every audio interface they make (Anyone tested a KA6 yet?) completely shitting the bed. Unless they plan on pulling a Kore on their entire DVS line, I believe the new MBPs are going to do just fine in the near future. Either that or Apogee, Avid, and Steinburg are going to be selling a LOT more cards really fast...
Well if you're a Scratch user you have no choice but to run through the NI soundcard, which means it has to work. And I'm sure in the medium term the cards will work, NI is not going to cede the Apple customer base. Regarding the KA6, someone over at the NI community s ran one through a new 13" MBP for a few hours w/o any issues at all. I actually haven't seen anyone say that the new cards, KA6, A6, & A10 do not work, it's been the older cards that have had people complain (S4, A2, A8).

Apple has a 14 day return policy /w no restocking fee, if NI doesn't hurry up and provide an official response I'll have to conduct the experiment myself. My current MBP is falling apart (literally).
Cinda Barackman
turns out the macbook air 2012 doesn't work with the A4DJ
exhibits the same glitch I was experiencing when I tested traktor 2.5 out with DP4 of Mountain Lion, distorted sound glitching.

On a positive note, my X1 works like a champ.

I'm also so far super in 2 this machine otherwise.

Going to test it out with an A2 toevening or tomorrow.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by attila
Seems like the new Macbooks are an all around downgrade for djs...or hell any music producer.
Except for, you know, the massive upgrade all around. NI just can't get their shit together when it comes to firmware. They've had something like a year to get USB 3 or TB support in the firmware, but just haven't recognized it as a progression.

NI has a choice: either get a firmware update in, and soon, or face the reality of virtually every audio interface they make (Anyone tested a KA6 yet?) completely shitting the bed. Unless they plan on pulling a Kore on their entire DVS line, I believe the new MBPs are going to do just fine in the near future. Either that or Apogee, Avid, and Steinburg are going to be selling a LOT more cards really fast...
Ricki Markman
Seems like the new Macbooks are an all around downgrade for djs...or hell any music producer.
Allan Neubert
I only have TSP so I haven't looked at how Serato is making out. Probably worth your time to check their community s to find out though. In my case my MBP is falling apart (the screen has separated from the clamshell and the metal frame is starting to bend) and I've been waiting for these new laptops to come out so I could replace it. And now I get to wait some more to make sure I can use them with an A10.
Cinda Barackman
can also test out an A2
Cinda Barackman
I'm in bmore, but will definitely ask around, not sure if anyone's got one, but I might also just use serato for this gig as I remembered one of our guest DJs will be using it (no reports of Serato issues, yah?). Will definitely let everyone know how things work out, hopefully tomorrow or wednesday when the new machine arrives.
Allan Neubert
damn, well hopefully it'll get sorted b4 saturday...
If you know anyone with an A6/A10 you might want to arrange to borrow it for a few days. You can be the guinea pig! (hopefully with a trial set before gig day.) I have an A10 you could borrow for a few hours if you happen to be in the Boston MA area.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy