Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Fango Jett
Are this chroma caps???

http://www.umidi.co/index.html
They confirmed on Chroma Caps.

Verlene Gorenstein
Interesting stuff

Originally Posted by Polygon
Also, guys, it seems like you haven't read my post thoroughly.
I didn't say i completely agreed with him, nor that this is a scene-destroyer. I just said that this is what deconcentrates people from someone's actual djing skills in favor of their image and their image only.
Even tho i've been djing for just a couple years, and am surely no veteran on the topic like some of you guys, i feel like i have the right to express my opinion.
And no, I didn't complain about its price, i just said that high prices are usually a magnet for people who don't have a clue and just believe that whatever is pricier, is better for them. And given that this is the thought of the masses, too (the people who'd rather go see a ginormous light&pyro show and get mighty drunk instead of actually listening to what the guy in front of them is playing), this creates a popular belief that a dj needs to be flashy to be good. Sure, this isn't true for some people, but for most of them it is. And if you try to find work, this will make your search difficultier. And i talk by experience. When i had my little plasticky hercules, no one wanted me. As soon as i upgraded to my SX, i was a resident and i could ask for higher prices.
Now again, this is my opinion, which is influended by both my personal experience and from stuff like this controller.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Calzone
But whatever. Fuck it, let them buy it and let them use it and when they put it on Kijiji for $400 in 2 years because they found a new way to identify themselves I'll be the first one to buy it with a goddamned smile.

/rant
This!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
WORST THREAD EVER.
I should clarify. A decent thread turned bad.

Originally Posted by William Gibson
^someone with brains...
I have my moments, rare as they are.
Delena Katherman
Gotta disagree. I do sincerely believe an art form can decline in quality, and stuff like this is a cataylist. I dont WANT to see people getting into stuff like this and forming the future of DJing. Im all for change but I dont want to see it as progression for the sake of fashion.
The art form doesn't decline in quality just because some people try to do the art form poorly.

DJing is more accessible now, so you will see a broader range of talents and attitudes. But, if some people enjoy music/entertainment in a way that's different from yours, it's not ruining the art. There's no need to feel threatened by DJ tourists/hobbyists, even if they buy flashy and expensive stuff. They likely won't end up being successful, and if they do find success it's because they provided something that people actually wanted (whether you like it or not).

Likewise, if this product ends up being the "future of DJing", it's not the product's fault. PEOPLE decide the evolution of things like this. The music scene won't stay stagnant just by repressing what you perceive to be a flashy eletist hipster product. It's human nature to go for spectacle and shock over real talent sometimes, and that's okay. Those people aren't your target market anyway, and they probably wouldn't have enjoyed anything you had to offer if they love hype over substance.
Myrta Neweii
Why exactly was mudo's post removed? While not in its entirety, i do agree with the argument he's following. Neo wannabe "djs" do exist and they would be the main group of people this thing's targeted at.
This is the same exact reason why the beamz by flo, or giant control surfaces projected on touch sensitive 50" glass panels exist. People want flashy, and if it carries a higher price tag than any possible competitor on the market, it's given apriori that mostly inexperienced people with deep pockets will buy something like this.
It's just like the Teenage OP-1. €799 for a synth that has no practical utility whatsoever, because don't tell me you can make a full-fledged song on that sequencer and tape recorder. If you are going to use it, it will be 1) for production, and in this case you'd be better off with a softsynth like sylenth, or 2) to show it to your hipster, fixie-driving hat-wearing designer friends. And this is exactly what mudo was trying to say.
This post has some merit as much as I would like to disagree. I believe its a shame we have to criticize new developing technologies in this light, but this is an unfortunate by-product of the commercialization of our hobby/profession. As newer and younger generations step in (and I'm not dismissing myself from this group) there will always be a market for flashy, premium shit that makes it super easy to step in and label yourself as a DJ. This pisses me right off to the extent of me buying turntables just to get away from these S4 toting dicks (not that its a bad product, its just fell victim to the utilization of said poser dicks in my town.) But whatever. Fuck it, let them buy it and let them use it and when they put it on Kijiji for $400 in 2 years because they found a new way to identify themselves I'll be the first one to buy it with a goddamned smile.

/rant
Alycia Niederriter
Ace.

mine.jpg
Klara Kinnebrew
Yea I'm gettin one fore sure but I suck at designing stuff. Going to put a few months of thought into what I need out of a Live controller...
Galen Fraile
As a sucker for pretty lights and sleek, minimal design i'll pretty much have to get this one eventually zz
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Fango Jett
Are this chroma caps???

http://www.umidi.co/index.html
They confirmed on Chroma Caps.

Verlene Gorenstein
Interesting stuff

I didn't say i completely agreed with him, nor that this is a scene-destroyer. I just said that this is what deconcentrates people from someone's actual djing skills in favor of their image and their image only.
Even tho i've been djing for just a couple years, and am surely no veteran on the topic like some of you guys, i feel like i have the right to express my opinion.
And no, I didn't complain about its price, i just said that high prices are usually a magnet for people who don't have a clue and just believe that whatever is pricier, is better for them. And given that this is the thought of the masses, too (the people who'd rather go see a ginormous light&pyro show and get mighty drunk instead of actually listening to what the guy in front of them is playing), this creates a popular belief that a dj needs to be flashy to be good. Sure, this isn't true for some people, but for most of them it is. And if you try to find work, this will make your search difficultier. And i talk by experience. When i had my little plasticky hercules, no one wanted me. As soon as i upgraded to my SX, i was a resident and i could ask for higher prices.
Now again, this is my opinion, which is influended by both my personal experience and from stuff like this controller.
Dannie Dimora
Dannie Dimora
But whatever. Fuck it, let them buy it and let them use it and when they put it on Kijiji for $400 in 2 years because they found a new way to identify themselves I'll be the first one to buy it with a goddamned smile.

/rant
This!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
WORST THREAD EVER.
I should clarify. A decent thread turned bad.

Originally Posted by William Gibson
^someone with brains...
I have my moments, rare as they are.
Klara Kinnebrew
^someone with brains...
nayit ruiz jaramillo
There's no decline of standards here. This does not make the 'art form' any more accessible (not at that price).

This changes NOTHING.

People are talking about this in the same way they pissed about DJ Hero.

This isn't some heretic, ruiner of worlds. It's a bespoke DJ controller that, if around 5 years ago EVERYONE would be coming in their pants over just like the Midi Fighter.

The price is the ONLY point that anyone can complain about and even then, if it's too rich for you, buy an X1 (other controllers are available).

WORST THREAD EVER.
Myrta Neweii
But whatever, I digress. Maybe I'm some grouchy old bastard trapped in the body of a college kid. God knows I criticize trends.
Myrta Neweii
I wouldn't say anyone here is feeling threatened, rather I'm implying that progress can be either a positive or negative thing in a trade such as ours. I believe we can agree that certain practices are damaging to a profession; an example would be adding the words "twerking" and "lol" to the Oxford dictionary. Is this an example of a destructive trend being solidified in a legitimate medium such as writing and language? Or is this just a couple of kids with a "broader range of attitudes" than mine? I totally understand the progression of DJing or writing or whatever else relies on trends, but I maintain something like this not only encourages bad habits but can lead to those faulty trends being manifested in legitimate art.
Delena Katherman
Gotta disagree. I do sincerely believe an art form can decline in quality, and stuff like this is a cataylist. I dont WANT to see people getting into stuff like this and forming the future of DJing. Im all for change but I dont want to see it as progression for the sake of fashion.
The art form doesn't decline in quality just because some people try to do the art form poorly.

DJing is more accessible now, so you will see a broader range of talents and attitudes. But, if some people enjoy music/entertainment in a way that's different from yours, it's not ruining the art. There's no need to feel threatened by DJ tourists/hobbyists, even if they buy flashy and expensive stuff. They likely won't end up being successful, and if they do find success it's because they provided something that people actually wanted (whether you like it or not).

Likewise, if this product ends up being the "future of DJing", it's not the product's fault. PEOPLE decide the evolution of things like this. The music scene won't stay stagnant just by repressing what you perceive to be a flashy eletist hipster product. It's human nature to go for spectacle and shock over real talent sometimes, and that's okay. Those people aren't your target market anyway, and they probably wouldn't have enjoyed anything you had to offer if they love hype over substance.
Myrta Neweii
Delena Katherman
So what if "neo wannabe DJs" buy this? It doesn't hurt real talent. There will always be douchebags buying douchey high-priced items. People are always so afraid that their precious scene is being ruined by a product, or someone like Avicii/Skrillex, or punters, or controllers, or whatever is trendy to attack at the moment. When you inappropriately blame some random thing, it really just says more about your own fears than anything else. Do you really want everyone to like the same stuff you do? You would probably hate that. Let them have their shit while you enjoy your real gear. It's good that people like dumb stuff, because what you like makes you special.

MUSIC goes on. Music has survived "certain destruction" many times over the years. This is just an expensive kickstarter product that may or may not find some success (who cares), but that's all it is. It doesn't signify the decline of DJing or the rise of the douche. It's just a thing. No need to catastrophize.
Myrta Neweii
Why exactly was mudo's post removed? While not in its entirety, i do agree with the argument he's following. Neo wannabe "djs" do exist and they would be the main group of people this thing's targeted at.
This is the same exact reason why the beamz by flo, or giant control surfaces projected on touch sensitive 50" glass panels exist. People want flashy, and if it carries a higher price tag than any possible competitor on the market, it's given apriori that mostly inexperienced people with deep pockets will buy something like this.
It's just like the Teenage OP-1. €799 for a synth that has no practical utility whatsoever, because don't tell me you can make a full-fledged song on that sequencer and tape recorder. If you are going to use it, it will be 1) for production, and in this case you'd be better off with a softsynth like sylenth, or 2) to show it to your hipster, fixie-driving hat-wearing designer friends. And this is exactly what mudo was trying to say.
This post has some merit as much as I would like to disagree. I believe its a shame we have to criticize new developing technologies in this light, but this is an unfortunate by-product of the commercialization of our hobby/profession. As newer and younger generations step in (and I'm not dismissing myself from this group) there will always be a market for flashy, premium shit that makes it super easy to step in and label yourself as a DJ. This pisses me right off to the extent of me buying turntables just to get away from these S4 toting dicks (not that its a bad product, its just fell victim to the utilization of said poser dicks in my town.) But whatever. Fuck it, let them buy it and let them use it and when they put it on Kijiji for $400 in 2 years because they found a new way to identify themselves I'll be the first one to buy it with a goddamned smile.

/rant
Dannie Dimora
Ryan Raczek
!!!

Can't believe I just came across this now... Awesome stuff!!!
Olimpia Briden
Hi Karlos, that's why I said companies like traktor (my bad, misnomer, NI is the company, traktor a product), I have no axe to grind with any company at all with regard to what each does for their respective customers, just that the industry as a whole seems to be geared this way and it's pretty sucky, they'll be wanting us to rent the devices on a rolling contract next and play as you go.

It's a long long way from the peavey PC-1600x http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar9...aveypc1600.htm completely customisable, CCs, NRPNs and sysex, + note on/off. Ugly as sin and not built for digital dj'ing but it does everything that you could possibly want with midi and latency, pffft, what latency?

it seems the best that can be done these days with regard to innovation is putting some 25 cent RGB leds on on something and calling it purrrty.
Alycia Niederriter
Ace.

mine.jpg
Dannie Dimora
... and for balance Serato have been doing that since day one and continue to do it.
You can put NI controllers in Midi Mode and remap them to your liking.

Jus' sayin'
serato doesn't limit MIDI latency time thru NHL marketing bull****
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Mudo
I don't remember if I posted this HERE but...
http://fuzzywobble.com/thesis/

THIS! Thank you kind sir
Augustine Mitzen
i'd be suprised if anyone buys it
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by ReggieUK
Especially considering companies like traktor etc. are trying to tie hardware into their software, it's like we're being licensed to only use apple stuff, not cool, not innovating.
... and for balance Serato have been doing that since day one and continue to do it.
You can put NI controllers in Midi Mode and remap them to your liking.

Jus' sayin'
Olimpia Briden
New controllers showing up isn't that exciting, it is pretty much the same technology they've been chucking in midi boxes for the last 20 years, I'm not impressed by most of it as such, it'll never get me excited in that respect. Especially considering companies like traktor etc. are trying to tie hardware into their software, it's like we're being licensed to only use apple stuff, not cool, not innovating.
Leanora Gerald
Originally Posted by arsman
It would be cool though. I have no patience in building my own diy so having someone to do it for me will be better.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

If it was cheap and i was to buy. id make a set! props to them for trying.

if it was cheap like the midi fighter it will sell like hotcakes.
Would be perfect for me with a Traktor certified mixer =) Nice one
Petra Arra
It would be cool though. I have no patience in building my own diy so having someone to do it for me will be better.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

If it was cheap and i was to buy. id make a set! props to them for trying.

if it was cheap like the midi fighter it will sell like hotcakes.
Myrta Neweii
I believe/hope it will be a fail... Ripoff and for that price will be a insanely message for the future of djing/controllerism IMHO...
You just went full retard. Never go full retard.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by The Mighty FV
Show some respect - wanting something to fail because you can't afford it is pathetic. .
He wants it to fail because it is not DIY. I get that Mudo is all about the DIY ethic etc but his view is pretty intolerant and disrespectful. They didn't personally ask Mudo to buy one. It's an invitation to buy.

Rolls Royce haven't prevented the production of cheap cars. Mudos opposition to this is moot.

I like this new controller because you can have it made the way you want. I have ZERO interest in spending my time making a DIY controller (i used to be but now my life is filled with other more pressing matters) so I believe this project is cool.

It is wildly over-priced and I would be happy to see them use a material other than CNC aluminium but then I'm not someone that bitches about plastic controllers. I have never broken a single one and I bet I own more controllers than most on here and done WAY more gigs with those controllers than 99.9% of anyone on this community .

I just wonder if the same people complaining about plastic controllers will moan about the price of this Umidi controller.
I believe the lesson here is, there you go, there's your better construction... there's your price. Live with it.

Sure theres a price premium for the personal design but the cost must mostly come from the higher end components.

Maybe they should do an iPhone 5c version that's all plastic for half price. I'd buy 2 (maybe)
Joesph Kasian
I believe/hope it will be a fail... Ripoff and for that price will be a insanely message for the future of djing/controllerism IMHO...
Show some respect - wanting something to fail because you can't afford it is pathetic. Get a better job.

The fact new controller companies are popping up is exciting - regardless of their prices or reasoning to choosing these price brackets, you need to show respect, shut your mouth and believe again before you post.

Oh and posting;

"Djing was elitish but controllerism born from hardware hacking. If the UMIDI success then the message is clear: Controllerism is the new fashion. Become cool buying flashy overpriced hardware and justify the Pioneerism elitism."

...shows you are wayyyyyyyyyyy out of touch with today's World - welcome to 2013 kid, the quicker you wise up to how business works the faster your own career will begin to progress.
Olimpia Briden
I believe $1050 for a machine is funny when the best bit that people seem to mention is that the top is cnc'd out of aluminium, it get's praise not for what it can do but how nice it looks.

I've not heard anyone on here mention about what those controls are actually able to do, not a thing. Can I assign my own strings to it? is each control bound to a single message? Can I customise messages on the fly? Can I link controls? What can it do for ME?
Keli Vandenbergh
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Well, just because gear is expensive doesn't make the scene "elitist".

Technics weren't (aren't) cheap, but it wasn't an attempt to "weed out" poorer DJs. That stuff just costs a lot of money, so naturally non-serious DJs or hobbyists would be less likely to invest in an expensive setup. There will always be expensive options for gear , but that's how things work; more options, features, customization, quality components, special materials, etc will ALWAYS raise the price. Here's the thing, though: it's just another option.

It's wonderful that there are cheaper controller options for beginner/casual DJs to have some fun. Everyone can participate. But that doesn't mean that we should get rid of the more expensive options.

Elitism is an attitude that you are inherently better than someone else, and that somehow another person shouldn't have access to the same scene that you enjoy. Mudo's comment about wanting this project to fail because it's somehow elitist due to cost is ridiculous; in fact, his comment is really quite elitist. He seems to not want others with different gear needs or resources to have access to the DJ scene, so as to preserve what he believes is the right thing for the culture.

It's just gear . Some of that shit costs more than others. Always has, always will. Simple, really. The culture will evolve just fine.
I respect others opinions and choices (even when they call me ridicolous) but technics are overpriced 30 years later (And finally going down this days) even with other options better in all ways (but the majority of technics fans will never hear, take a look in the community s... Specially techno or old school turntablist).

So I suppose piss you off the idea to be right with my own opinion and be CLEAR, sorry about that and let me be more clear:

I'm didn't saying this is wrong, I'm saying this is bad for. I believed that Controllerism (as extension of Dub culture) was about doing it by yourself. It is not about totally cost, I had an ipad which is one of the most elitish tools out there but I "hack" anid try to keep the essence (and share my improvements) as a revenue for other people (fuck culture and polithical correction sir).

It is about how Pioneer shitted of about controllers in the past and later released the same shit they argue but at 999€ start pricepoint.

We (Humanity involved in finantial crisis) don't need more dumb Technics/Pionerism. And I will love to see Umidi fail until they fit the right pricepoint (which 1050€ isn't). If they make it at right pricepoint (and due to OUR economic context remember) it will be any problem to me but meanwhile it is not for me and bad for the people as statment (become a REAL controllerist/dj buying overpriced gear crowfunded)

And the best part...

Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
I believe you want this product to fail because you don't want to believe that there IS a potential demand for stuff like this. I won't be buying one, because it doesn't suit my needs (and is quite expensive). But that doesn't mean that I hope innovative ideas like this are unsuccessful.
I know there is a potential and surely they will success (or maybe not, some interesting and affordable projects failed before) and what I'm saying is near to ReggieUK described. The project that I linked before is the same concept for everyone who wants to learn how to do it by themselves. So it is not about innovation sorry... It is about get profit of crowfunding for EXPENSIVE gear.

There is nothing more elitish than buy something and don't care about how much it really cost and I'm talking about inherent ecological cost. If you want a cnc aluminum faceplate, go for it but if you want to be "peopular" try almost learn something about cnc drilling or laser cutting. Today we are in the middle of a revolution with its core/heart in Fablabbing concept.

I could respect your opinion and choice but I still could believe is fancy and a mesh.

Jm2c.
Doreen Schurle
$1050.

Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by ReggieUK
I can see mudo's point about dj'ing being elitist, pretty much

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy