ICON iDJ First Impressions

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: ICON iDJ First ImpressionsReply
ICON iDJ First Impressions
Posted on: 01.08.2011 by Chasidy Heckenbach
i picked up one of these as i wanted a small, cheap controller with touch sensitive jogs. posting this info as i couldnt find too much on this controller on the interweb. it's slightly bigger than a nano or lpd8 but not by much as you can see from the photo below. the overall build quality seems much better tho - *feels* nice and solid. quite heavy for what it is - i even expected there to be some extra weight added inside but couldnt find anything when i pulled it apart not much extra space in there at all.

the pads dont seem to light up via incoming midi messages - i tried firing notes on for all notes and midi channels but nothing happened. no biggie tho as they do light up when u press them and the 'scratch on' button does stay lit up when activated.

faders seem fairly smooth (except for my right hand pitch one that doesnt work too well) but nothing special. cross fader is pretty light and should do the job ok.

plenty of pots to midi map. personally i believe using the center 6 for eq's seems better than where they are labelled. it's a pretty cramped controller but i expected that - so the pots themselves are quite small - but not too small. the only bugger one is the ones right above the jogs - way too easy to nudge the jog by accident when using those ones.

with basically 8 pads, 7 pots, 2 faders per deck + 8 pads in the center and cross fader i believe it should be quite fun to map.

the jogs seem very responsive and have a nice midi implementation, but from what i can tell not very traktor-friendly. i'm using it in raw mode tho and i *believe* it came with some software that i don't have handy right now.

nudging using the rubberised outside edge sends a different noteon when it starts moving and a noteoff when it stops - so doesnt matter how fast you move it - but seems to work ok.

the scratch on/off toggle doesn't actually send out any midi itself, it just changes the jog wheel behaviour.

in non-scratch mode it sends out a cc with value of 65 for every increment forwards and a value of 63 for every increment backwards.

in scratch mode it sends two noteon's as soon as you touch the touch sensitive top, then behaves as for non scratch mode, but also sends out a noteoff as soon as you let go and another after the jog wheel also has stopped moving.

all in all it seems like they put some thought into it. i'm just not quite sure how it can be effectively used in traktor without some software sitting between the two. i did try a few different options in traktor but couldn't make it work as i wanted. i do *believe* tho that it came with some software to sit in the middle if needed tho - if i can find that - not that i'll be using it as i'll use my own.

all in all a solid little controller with a lot of possibilites for 100quid i reckon anyway

edit: i stuck the coloured stickers on the pots - they're grey by default
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Originally Posted by zestoi
maybe it actually does have midi feedback? looking at some of the extra leds under the surface here?
I'd say the lights are in that pic are static, I believe that is so you can place the different overlays on top with clear lettering so it lights up, it's a very cool idea. but I believe the other leds will be software controlled as only 2 of the hotcue's leds are on. It's a shame they didn't implement led feedback on an iDJ2.0, I would definitely buy another one.
Roselia Deerfield
Originally Posted by synthet1c
Just found this pic on the interwebs looking for a pic of the iDJ... its an "iDJX" I can't access the icon-global website to get more info as it's blocked by google...

http://www.midifan.com/modulenews-detailview-10716.htm
Yeah, they're coming out with a whole range of controllers.

iCreative

iStage
Roselia Deerfield
could be the case. i bought mine as soon as they were available and when i took mine apart for photos in this thread i'd say that the insides looked quite "beta" quality... as tho they hadn't quite finalised the main casing or something. i know they've also now changed the jog tops to black from the silver that mine has. reminds me that maybe i should replace the slider for the right hand pitch fader - as that was crappy when it arrived, so i just removed it. didn't bother me too much as it still seemed like a whole lot of functionality for not so much a big price.
It's definitely a good deal with everything you get for the price.
I guess they don't spend much on quality control though.
I'm having my unit replaced. New one is coming on Friday.
Chasidy Heckenbach
i noticed that controller the other month - interesting with the touchpads but i bet still has the same lack of midi feedback issues and stuff as others. some web page mentioned it being an ideal add on to the idj or something - but has most of the same controls. i also believe it takes the "toylike" look of the idj even one stage further having said that i wouldn't mind playing with one

maybe it actually does have midi feedback? looking at some of the extra leds under the surface here?

IMG_2348_2_1333114895_thumb.jpg
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by jipsa78
Sounds like you have a slightly different version.
could be the case. i bought mine as soon as they were available and when i took mine apart for photos in this thread i'd say that the insides looked quite "beta" quality... as tho they hadn't quite finalised the main casing or something. i know they've also now changed the jog tops to black from the silver that mine has. reminds me that maybe i should replace the slider for the right hand pitch fader - as that was crappy when it arrived, so i just removed it. didn't bother me too much as it still seemed like a whole lot of functionality for not so much a big price.
Roselia Deerfield
mine were just glued on and pulled off quite easily
I have now definitely ruled out the rubber feet as cause of the wobbling though.
I took a set of dice, which where all the same size. Placed them onder the controller in different combinations to rule out any slight variations in size. In all instances the only dice actually touching the device where the top left and lower right ones. On the lower left corner and upper right corner there was always room to wobble.

I have contacted my supplier to see about an exchange.

i believe these were what i bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-12mm-Bl...-/130491509477

the inside needed scouring out a bit tho to make them wider - else u could push them on but the inside is so rubbery that they wouldn't stay on.
Cheers!
Chasidy Heckenbach
if your using ableton why not just use the beatrepeat and a synth for real white noise instead of iceverb... you could also get Native Instruments Guitar Rig which has "Traktors 12" which has both the iceverb and beatmasher.
i've thought about buying traktor's 12. just seems a waste when i've already paid for traktor and i'm not actually using it at all now. i've just been playing with routing audio to/from traktor live input decks and it does work ok, but a bit messy. a vst would be nicer. if they ever have a sale on traktor's 12 i would probably pick it up. i should try and see if i can do all i need within ableton first tho - i probably can i guess.

Did you keep the istage or give it to your bro? Mine has an issue with lighting extra pads when sending midi in traktor mode, would be great to know if that happens to yours. >>this is my thread about the problem<<
i gave it to my bro, who also has one of my launchpads, but i have too many controllers atm anyway i believe i have an addiction he just wanted something with velocity sensitive pads to trigger samples. i'll have to try and get him to test out the midi more on it somehow. i'll convert your devices def from that thread into a midimasher devices file and have him try it out. i guess he only really needs that "drummer" mode where leds light automatically. u switch it to a "traktor" mode via the icon editor or something and then in theory u have control over led feedback? i do remember seeing a youtube video where someone set it up for ableton and it all seemed like led feedback worked as expected...
Chasidy Heckenbach
How did you pull the feet out of the sockets in the body? Without breaking them preferably ;-)

Any tips on replacement knobs that fit the iDJ?
i believe these were what i bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-12mm-Bl...-/130491509477

the inside needed scouring out a bit tho to make them wider - else u could push them on but the inside is so rubbery that they wouldn't stay on.
Roselia Deerfield
@ Zestoi: regarding the rubber feet being the problem: you would believe I would've noticed, but I am not a very technical guy ;-)
So there is still a chance they are to blame. When I stick a CD under the upper right foot the controller is stable.
So that makes it a difference of 1 - 1,5 mm (around 0,5 inches).

How did you pull the feet out of the sockets in the body? Without breaking them preferably ;-)

it's a whole lot better with replacement knobs. i got some that were slightly rubbery and taller - makes a big diff. can be tricky finding ones that fit well tho.... and u wont want to wiggle them too much to force new ones on else they go loose (like most other controllers that doesn't have pots that are screwed down properly)

re: the nocturn i suspect synthet1c uses it with other controllers not by itself. i've thought a few times about getting one. my money's on a A&H K2 tho when i have the spare cash for one.
That A&H has a lot of controllers for such a small package. Would be a nice addition.

Edwin Kauhi
i know this is an old thread but has anyone got this to work for ios device apps like dj player, algoriddim, etc...?
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
@jipsa yeah I have an istage aswell, it has terrible implimentation in traktor mode not allowing the use of the leds, you can only control whether the led is red or off, and the background is split in two half blue and half purple. You also lose the velocity sensitivity. never used in in ableton.

Their customer support is also non existent.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I'd say the lights are in that pic are static, I believe that is so you can place the different overlays on top with clear lettering so it lights up, it's a very cool idea. but I believe the other leds will be software controlled as only 2 of the hotcue's leds are on. It's a shame they didn't implement led feedback on an iDJ2.0, I would definitely buy another one.
Roselia Deerfield
Just found this pic on the interwebs looking for a pic of the iDJ... its an "iDJX" I can't access the icon-global website to get more info as it's blocked by google...

Yeah, they're coming out with a whole range of controllers.

iCreative

iStage
Roselia Deerfield
It's definitely a good deal with everything you get for the price.
I guess they don't spend much on quality control though.
I'm having my unit replaced. New one is coming on Friday.
Chasidy Heckenbach
i noticed that controller the other month - interesting with the touchpads but i bet still has the same lack of midi feedback issues and stuff as others. some web page mentioned it being an ideal add on to the idj or something - but has most of the same controls. i also believe it takes the "toylike" look of the idj even one stage further having said that i wouldn't mind playing with one

IMG_2348_2_1333114895_thumb.jpg
Jonathan Chiuchiolo

Chasidy Heckenbach
Roselia Deerfield
I have now definitely ruled out the rubber feet as cause of the wobbling though.
I took a set of dice, which where all the same size. Placed them onder the controller in different combinations to rule out any slight variations in size. In all instances the only dice actually touching the device where the top left and lower right ones. On the lower left corner and upper right corner there was always room to wobble.

I have contacted my supplier to see about an exchange.

Cheers!
Chasidy Heckenbach
if your using ableton why not just use the beatrepeat and a synth for real white noise instead of iceverb... you could also get Native Instruments Guitar Rig which has "Traktors 12" which has both the iceverb and beatmasher.
i've thought about buying traktor's 12. just seems a waste when i've already paid for traktor and i'm not actually using it at all now. i've just been playing with routing audio to/from traktor live input decks and it does work ok, but a bit messy. a vst would be nicer. if they ever have a sale on traktor's 12 i would probably pick it up. i should try and see if i can do all i need within ableton first tho - i probably can i guess.

Did you keep the istage or give it to your bro? Mine has an issue with lighting extra pads when sending midi in traktor mode, would be great to know if that happens to yours. >>this is my thread about the problem<<
i gave it to my bro, who also has one of my launchpads, but i have too many controllers atm anyway i believe i have an addiction he just wanted something with velocity sensitive pads to trigger samples. i'll have to try and get him to test out the midi more on it somehow. i'll convert your devices def from that thread into a midimasher devices file and have him try it out. i guess he only really needs that "drummer" mode where leds light automatically. u switch it to a "traktor" mode via the icon editor or something and then in theory u have control over led feedback? i do remember seeing a youtube video where someone set it up for ableton and it all seemed like led feedback worked as expected...
Jonathan Chiuchiolo

Chasidy Heckenbach

Roselia Deerfield
@ Zestoi: regarding the rubber feet being the problem: you would believe I would've noticed, but I am not a very technical guy ;-)
So there is still a chance they are to blame. When I stick a CD under the upper right foot the controller is stable.
So that makes it a difference of 1 - 1,5 mm (around 0,5 inches).

it's a whole lot better with replacement knobs. i got some that were slightly rubbery and taller - makes a big diff. can be tricky finding ones that fit well tho.... and u wont want to wiggle them too much to force new ones on else they go loose (like most other controllers that doesn't have pots that are screwed down properly)

re: the nocturn i suspect synthet1c uses it with other controllers not by itself. i've thought a few times about getting one. my money's on a A&H K2 tho when i have the spare cash for one.
That A&H has a lot of controllers for such a small package. Would be a nice addition.

Chasidy Heckenbach
the knobs can be endless encoders sending the same midi as jogwheels so I have mapped them in for pitch bending as well as full eq's, transport, loops, pitch and about 20 effects taking inspiration from the pioneer RMX-1000 & EFX-1000. Only cost me $40 off ebay and is by far the coolest most versatile controller I own.
damn! only 40usd! it would make for a really nice effects controller... just looked on uk ebay and nothing under about 60gbp atm. i did snag an icon istage for 30gbp the other week tho that i thought was pretty good

i coded spinback and brake effects for mixxx the other month after seeing them used in the rmx-1000. i need to dig more into those and see what can be done with vst's in ableton (that i route audo from mixxx into). i'm half tempted to route audio to/from traktor too for stuff like the armyofme sweep effect. overkill only using traktor with a liveinput deck tho maybe

I really like the placement of the knobs too, in the beginning I thought it would be terrible but they are really ergonomically placed for mirrored dj applications. The iDJ is still pretty cool & it would be my favorite if it had led feedback but unfortunately it doesn't
the placement of the knobs was something i always thought odd about it... does also give u more space to work with too ofc - and now not really sure why i was worried why they're not lined up.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
the knobs can be endless encoders sending the same midi as jogwheels so I have mapped them in for pitch bending as well as full eq's, transport, loops, pitch and about 20 effects taking inspiration from the pioneer RMX-1000 & EFX-1000. Only cost me $40 off ebay and is by far the coolest most versatile controller I own. I really like the placement of the knobs too, in the beginning I thought it would be terrible but they are really ergonomically placed for mirrored dj applications. The iDJ is still pretty cool & it would be my favorite if it had led feedback but unfortunately it doesn't

i suspect synthet1c uses it with other controllers not by itself
It's mapped for full control of both transport and effects so can operate independently or supplementary to other controllers.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Cheers, might look into some new knobs later. I am just starting out with DJ'ing, so I'll first try it with the controller as is :-)

Roselia Deerfield
Try sticking some blutack under the corners maybe, but mine is straight.... You should also get 8 knobs for the eq's and two of the effects so you have something to grab on to. Personally I like the iDJ but wouldn't buy it again over the novation nocturn. I was able to map way more things to the nocturn and have feedback from the automap software or the leds on the device.

Cheers, might look into some new knobs later. I am just starting out with DJ'ing, so I'll first try it with the controller as is :-)

That Novation Nocturn looks pretty cool, but don't you miss the jog wheels?
Chasidy Heckenbach
rubber feet are just stuck on. i presume you'd have already noticed tho if it was just the rubber feet
Roselia Deerfield
just checked mine and took off the rubber feet - and it's perfectly stable even without them. checked my icon ikey as well, that basically uses the same casing, and that's fine, tho didnt take the feet off. did u buy it locally? the bottom should really be perfectly flat i guess.
Thanx, I haven't taken off the rubber feet yet, because I might have to send it back.
Is it hard to do?

Taking a better look at the feet they might even be (part of) the problem. Especially the right top one seems a bit shorter than the rest.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Try sticking some blutack under the corners maybe, but mine is straight.... You should also get 8 knobs for the eq's and two of the effects so you have something to grab on to. Personally I like the iDJ but wouldn't buy it again over the novation nocturn. I was able to map way more things to the nocturn and have feedback from the automap software or the leds on the device.

Chasidy Heckenbach
just checked mine and took off the rubber feet - and it's perfectly stable even without them. checked my icon ikey as well, that basically uses the same casing, and that's fine, tho didnt take the feet off. did u buy it locally? the bottom should really be perfectly flat i guess.
Roselia Deerfield
Thanx for the fast reply zestoi!

My iDJ even has 6 rubber feet, but they don't do a good job hiding it.
When I use the right jog wheel, pitch slider or knobs, the right front side moves up and down.
Chasidy Heckenbach
i dont believe so - but it has 4 rubber feet so that should hide any slight variation surely anyway?
Roselia Deerfield
This thread has been really helpful in making my decision for the iDJ.
I orderded it last week and have just received the unit, but there seems to be a problem with it. The bottom of the machine does not seem to be totally straight, which causes it to be unstable and wobble. This happens especially when I touch either the lower left corner or the upper right corner of the unit. I have tried placing the controller on all kinds of surfaces, after checking them for being straight, but it makes no difference.
Does anybody else have the same experience with the iDJ?
Chasidy Heckenbach
the idj is very underrated by people here the jogs are excellent and the buttons dont feel bad. the pots are cramped but its the size that attracted me in the first place. i prefer the bigger jogs on the cdj101's now - but i'm sure i'll hang onto the idj as well. there's a lot of controls in a very small space - ideal for travelling. i saw them going for about 60quid on uk ebay a while ago too.
Arlinda Finazzo
Wow... this really fits what I was looking for. Very nice and compact, and lots of features to map. My S2 is really only for home use. But when traveling I love to play with my Tonium Pacemaker... but it's starting to get old, the control is limited (compared to anything Traktor), and they haven't shown any firmware updates in years. So for a nice portable controller to go with my Macbook Air when on the road, this could be great. Thanks for the thread and review.
Chasidy Heckenbach
is that rollit vst available outside of vdj? officially i mean by the authour ofc - not anything hacked. i'm hunting for vst's atm both effects and synths. using a pc is def better when it comes to availability of vst's tho the awesome synth1 is now available for mac which is cool.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Thanks Pete, it just sucks that you don't get led feedback as it can be hard to remember where you are in the mapping at times. I never got supatrigga to work in vdj unfortunately, instajungle is temperamental but chackl's "rollit 2.0" easily replaces it and gives a much wider pitch range.
Chasidy Heckenbach
that's a bloody impressive mapping i never did half as much with my idj just keep it around as a very small controller with a heap of controls for experimenting with. i just grabbed the SupaTrigga plugin that was linked to from one of the ones u used - as it comes in mac flavour as well as some QB plugins couldn't find a copy of Instajungle tho anywhere - the website seems dead - or being worked on anyway.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Hey madu,

The mapping is available on the VDJ Forum to all registered pro users, It's not much good without the effects anyway as they have been integrated in almost every control in some way.

Chasidy Heckenbach
if vdj specific then you really need synthet1c, i don't own vdj pro. if there's a mapping done for it though it'll be downloadable from the vdj site. i have looked at a few vdj mappings and scripts, you should be able to bash your own custom one together easily enough, depends how complex u want to go i guess.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy