Beginners controller, 500$ budget.

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Beginners controller, 500$ budget.Reply
Beginners controller, 500$ budget.
Posted on: 08.04.2013 by Riley Kuruvilla
I have a budget of around 500$. Would like to buy 1st controller. Thought about mixtrack pro 2. But its quite small ( i have big hands ) and might be useless after few weeks because of lack features. I have good motivation to get in dj business, so i wont let it go after few tries. Thats why i believe about numark N4. Its bigger, and will be longer up to date, to train more skills. Any advices ?
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by dfinch805
Driving a ferrari is completely different from driving the nicest evo. I don't care if the performance is the same, it is about the way it feels. Pioneer will FEEL better even if the sound output is similar (although they won't be, most likely). Its about little (or rather big) differences in the way a knob feels. Or to liken it to the driving, it is about the way the car connects with the road or how the gearbox is seamless instead of notchy.
Didnt believe in that way. Might be true. So finally im believeing about ddj-sx, ddj-s1 there is 100$ difference so i probably ill go sx. But what makes me sad is time i will have to work, untill ill get one of them ;c.
Comparing those two sx wins in every aspect?
Does anyone know if pioneers are cheaper in asia?
Anyone tried How to digital dj fast tutorial by DjTechtools? Is it worth to buy?
Michell Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by Vesppk
Yes im comparing them as i said im new to all hardware stuff. But my opinion is one, ill also compare ferrari and mitsubishi in racing. I dont see anything wrong in it. But please, enlighten me. The build quality? Or is something wrong with numark, beacause i read a lot of internet reviews and on both side they r positive.
Driving a ferrari is completely different from driving the nicest evo. I don't care if the performance is the same, it is about the way it feels. Pioneer will FEEL better even if the sound output is similar (although they won't be, most likely). Its about little (or rather big) differences in the way a knob feels. Or to liken it to the driving, it is about the way the car connects with the road or how the gearbox is seamless instead of notchy.
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by cpetticrew
Haha!!!...I was waiting for this comment. Tried to go the cheapest route possible for him don't really dabble with cheap phones for mixing so I just put them down cuz all the cheaper ones I knew are no less then $100 and his budget was at $500.
Yep good advices, but i would like to have jogwheels, i have got headphones ans some older but still good monitors. So the budget is only for controller. If its is better to buy ddj-sx i will earn money on vacations and get it in 2 months. But still i have mixed feelings wich one should i choose.
Tommy Thiner
Originally Posted by DISaS73R
... Skullcandy?
Haha!!!...I was waiting for this comment. Tried to go the cheapest route possible for him don't really dabble with cheap phones for mixing so I just put them down cuz all the cheaper ones I knew are no less then $100 and his budget was at $500.
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by westlake10
are you really comparing a numark and a pioneer? If you have to ask this question, maybe you should learn a little more about dj hardware
Yes im comparing them as i said im new to all hardware stuff. But my opinion is one, ill also compare ferrari and mitsubishi in racing. I dont see anything wrong in it. But please, enlighten me. The build quality? Or is something wrong with numark, beacause i read a lot of internet reviews and on both side they r positive.
Danuta Keyton
Oh maybe just final question :
DDJ-SX OR NS6 ? Im not interested in NS7 cos i heard its more for scratching hip hop like djs
are you really comparing a numark and a pioneer? If you have to ask this question, maybe you should learn a little more about dj hardware
Irina Burbee
Numark NS6 can be had for around $600 and it's a great pro level controller with full Serato DJ included.

Reloop Terminal Mix 2 with full Serato DJ & Video can be had for less than $500.

http://turntablelab.com/collections/...erato-dj-video

Currently $469.

Numark N4 (which I just sold & replaced with the Reloop Terminal Mix 4) Nice intermediate controller can be had for less than $400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2150KM4483

Currently $369

My partner has the NS6 and it's a excellent controller. I came very close to buying it to replace my N4 but I got a deal that I couldn't pass up & I picked up a Reloop Terminal Mix 4 and I don't regret it one bit.
Tommy Thiner
Yeh if your not going to get the ddj-s1 off of eBay then def. got for the ddj-sx solid piece of gear and will have good resale value if need be.
Silva Oatis
Hercules RMX2 or Hercules 4mx maybe worth a look at. They are small but built like tanks. Nice metal controller with a built in soundcard. I have owned a Hercules RMX1 for over 3 years now. It is small but I find it's layout is not overly cramped but thats just me.
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by dfinch805
Didnt believe in that way. Might be true. So finally im believeing about ddj-sx, ddj-s1 there is 100$ difference so i probably ill go sx. But what makes me sad is time i will have to work, untill ill get one of them ;c.
Comparing those two sx wins in every aspect?
Does anyone know if pioneers are cheaper in asia?
Anyone tried How to digital dj fast tutorial by DjTechtools? Is it worth to buy?
Kellie Myrum
This Mixtrak Pro 2 seems pretty solid. I'm impressed.

Michell Wehrmeyer
Tommy Thiner
Check out the Pioneer DDJ-S1 or Reloop Terminal Mix 2 or 4 depending on how many decks you want. Both run Serato and are in your price range. Cant really tell ya how good they are since I haven't tried either out. But I do know it's better then a Numark Mixcrap Pro
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by cpetticrew
Yep good advices, but i would like to have jogwheels, i have got headphones ans some older but still good monitors. So the budget is only for controller. If its is better to buy ddj-sx i will earn money on vacations and get it in 2 months. But still i have mixed feelings wich one should i choose.
Tommy Thiner
... Skullcandy?
Olin Easley
... Skullcandy?
Tommy Thiner
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-BX5-...item56554d77b5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-Twi...item5aee713ede

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSA-CPR-201...item4ac35c9186

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Skullcan...item3ccfcdd694

Here's a complete setup for ya headphones, cables, controller, studio monitors, and serato itch comes with the twitch. There would be nothing else you would need for under $600. This is just an example man go with what you want your the one who has to use all this and spend the money. Best of luck
Tommy Thiner
As much as I like the Pioneer DDJ-SX I personally believe that's too much money for someone brand new to djing to drop on a piece of gear . I believe some good options would be a Pioneer DDJ-S1, Novation Twitch, Reloop Terminal Mix 2 or 4. All within your price range Serato based with built in interfaces and are controllers unlike the mixtrack that you wont feel the need to upgrade from once you start getting the hang of it after a few months.
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by westlake10
Danuta Keyton
DDJ-SX OR NS6 ? Im not interested in NS7 cos i heard its more for scratching hip hop like djs
Olin Easley
Check out VCI 400, too. I know a couple of people who have it and it's quite nice.
Towanda Roads
Sorry I just believe if your looking to spend $500 on controllers you should get the Xone K2, a launchpad, and a behringer MM-1 when it comes out in June. This type of rig is usb-powered and gives you control over every aspect of traktor as long as you are willing to learn how to make your own mappings in traktor, serato, or vdj. The K2 comes with a dedicated 4 channel soundcard built into the unit and you can make the k2 and launchpad control every single aspect of traktor. I recommend getting the MM-1 when it comes out though so you can have a dedicated 4 channel/4 band eq mixer which would allow for more control options with the K2 Its really comes down to how much control of Traktor you want and how you are planning to use it. I only need one outlet for my computer charger with my rig (including speakers) when I play out and I can even take it on the beach or in the woods if I have my spare battery with me. Figure out how far you planning on taking this endeavor and don't just buy crap its not worth it in the long run.
Alphonso Deitchman
If you're not tied to Traktor then the ideal option feature/build quality wise would be the DDJ-SX.
Riley Kuruvilla
Originally Posted by The Pancaker
My advice... save up for a few more months and jump straight onto an S4. Skip the stepping stones. My first controller was a Mixtrack, then I added some stuff (APC 20 and X1). Sold the mixtrack and the APC and got an S2 and an F1. Sold the S2 and got an S4... I mean... I bought everything from good deals and chances I had to take. But if I had that amount of money already saved up, I'd just save some more and get an S4 which will give you a lot of options for you to try and learn, and still hold a decent resell value.
TO SUM UP !
Im not interested in traktor specifically, at now by suggestion of some more experienced community users i believe ill save up for DDJ-SX. It will give me opportunities to get better and better. And i believe this controller is also mapped for traktor, if i want to give it a try.
Loyce Mekonen
My advice... save up for a few more months and jump straight onto an S4. Skip the stepping stones. My first controller was a Mixtrack, then I added some stuff (APC 20 and X1). Sold the mixtrack and the APC and got an S2 and an F1. Sold the S2 and got an S4... I mean... I bought everything from good deals and chances I had to take. But if I had that amount of money already saved up, I'd just save some more and get an S4 which will give you a lot of options for you to try and learn, and still hold a decent resell value.
Danuta Keyton
if you're looking for something more upmarket than the mixtrack and you are willing to spend 700-800 bucks, perhaps consider an s4 or get what I got which is a vci-400 (they're releasing several versions, both for serato and for traktor that might interest you). Another option with 2 decks would be the vci-380 which is meant for serato DJ and has a ton of upmarket features. If you just want the best controller out there at the moment, go for the DDJ-SX. unit is solid as fuck
Rolanda Clodfelder
The Mixtrack pro has as many buttons and features as the majority of controllers out there - the main difference is build quality.

The Mixtrack pro's controls are pretty decently sized.

If you have the money, sure you can buy something better

OR spend the money on other things you really need e.g. decent cables, Proper Headphones, speakers.

Personally I'd probably save a few more $ and get a Pioneer DDJ-SX as it'll prepare you pretty well for playing out (Pretty much the same layout as CDJ's) and it feels GORGEOUS.
Olin Easley
I'd say it's worth it even if it's just for the better keys, the ones on the original mixtrack are the only things I genuinely hate. Also, I couldn't find any information on it, but it doesn't look as plastic as the original, so that's a possible plus, too.
Riley Kuruvilla
You don't know what you need from a controller. For all you know, you'll end up using your controller for the very basic things that a Mixtrack Pro does anyway.
Good point, and one more question is it worth to invest in mixtrack pro 2 ? or should i buy 1st model ?
Olin Easley
You don't know what you need from a controller. For all you know, you'll end up using your controller for the very basic things that a Mixtrack Pro does anyway.
Riley Kuruvilla
Why? Why cant i play with some better controller at home and for friends? I have money for it, i dont get the point in buying mixtrack, selling it after 3 months and buying something better. Will i have problems with using more complicated controller? I just dont get it.
Olin Easley
I dont believe ill play at clubs fast. What i need for now is home playing and friend parties.
Precisely why the mixtrack pro is perfect.
Riley Kuruvilla
The Mixtrack is a stepping stone. It lets you do the basic stuff and figure out what you'll want. By the time you get proper club gigs, you'll already have an idea of what you need and the money for it.
N4 is a useless controller, in my opinion. It's too expensive to start with and not cheap or good enough to compare with the other 4-deck controllers. Not to mention that it's huge, so you'll probably end up using the CDJs half of the time in clubs anyway.
I dont believe ill play at clubs fast. What i need for now is home playing and friend parties. So maybe i should wait for few more bucks and get ns6 ? Or some other better quality controller ? I dont necessarily need four decks for house, electro, tek, and that kind of music. Lets say i could have 700-800$. I always consider more expenses like headphones to that.
Olin Easley
The Mixtrack is a stepping stone. It lets you do the basic stuff and figure out what you'll want. By the time you get proper club gigs, you'll already have an idea of what you need and the money for it.
N4 is a useless controller, in my opinion. It's too expensive to start with and not cheap or good enough to compare with the other 4-deck controllers. Not to mention that it's huge, so you'll probably end up using the CDJs half of the time in clubs anyway.
Riley Kuruvilla
At now not. But i believe about quite soon future. Im determined to dj and have extra money to spend. So that i keep on asking about other otpions then mixtrack, it is most basic controller as i found on internet.
Alphonso Deitchman
External power is an inconvenience. Do you need 2 mics and balanced outputs?
Riley Kuruvilla
What about sound quality ? N4 have more outputs, 2 mic input, and external power i believe. An mixtrack i just usb cabel controller, does it matters ?
Alphonso Deitchman
The new Mixtrack Pro II looks quite nice, whereas the N4 is horribly plasticy. Very few people mix on more than 2 track decks which is all you'd gain from the N4.
Riley Kuruvilla
I'd say go for a mixtrack pro. It'll save you money for a good pair of headphones and/or a better controller later on. It'll also let you test Traktor and Serato, so you'll know exactly what you'll need in the future.
Oh, and it's got nice big platters, so it's convenient to learn how to beatmatch.
|

So if u propose mixtrack wouldnt be better if i invest more money and went N4 ? Because i heard some fresh djs opinions that mixtrack got useless after 2-3 months and they swap it with some more advanced controllers.
Olin Easley
I'd say go for a mixtrack pro. It'll save you money for a good pair of headphones and/or a better controller later on. It'll also let you test Traktor and Serato, so you'll know exactly what you'll need in the future.
Oh, and it's got nice big platters, so it's convenient to learn how to beatmatch.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy