Opening up the Numark Mixtrack. . . .

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Opening up the Numark Mixtrack. . . .Reply
Opening up the Numark Mixtrack. . . .
Posted on: 11.09.2010 by Vernie Beharry
Welp, I opened up my Mixtrack for some certain modding, and to see what can/can't be done within the case/specs. . .found interesting things that made me happy, but over all dissappointed. . .I have pics from myspace page just to show it here. Some of the pics are blurry (damn camera is messed up atm). That I apoligize for that. . .Here it goes. . .

Turned her over and screwd away. . .no pun intended. . .and began my look into moddin the unit for:
1) arcade button Mod (for obvious reasons)
2) replace the cord with a simple USB Female B connector (I just don't like the cord attached to it)
3) other potential mods (crossfader reverse button/switch)
4) replacement faders (the cf with the unit felt flimsy, and the line faders are a bit too tight)

#2 looks to be an VERY easy mod. . .
the cord connects to the PCB via another connection, so thus a mod and a connector from sparkfun is very plausible.

This part struck me as odd, as this was the tail-end of the UBS cord for the unit that connects below a connector I have't seen. . .maybe an firmware upgrade for the mxt ? Can anyone enlighten me on this?

As for #1, it appears it can be done. . .for one side only! Let me explain. . . .

Looking from the bottom, the right side cue/stutter buttons is a seperate pcb, like the VCi-100's, thus I was ver happy to see that.

Measured the placement and spacing for each button, and it looks like the Sanwas DJTT sells in the shop will work ver ver easily.

roughly 30mm wide.

and 28mm top to bottom.

the pcb is almost exactly the same on the VCi-100, albeit much much smaller

buuuuut. . . .

to my dismay, the entire right side (orientation for the unit right side up, mind you) is all one sngle pcb

so for my checklist
#4 fader replacement. . .check!
#3 CF reverse switch. . .check!
#2 Replace USB cord with removable USB cord. . .absolutely!
but #1. . . .1/2 good . . .left side only

Not too much of a let down, but I was really looking forward to an arcade mod on this thing. . .I guess my search for a used VCi-100 in my area is underway. . . .

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. . .and again. . .sorry if some of the pics are blurry. . . .

Dj Windz One
Genia Berryhill
Originally Posted by letenous
can anyone do a video tutorial on how to do the USB mod? my usb head's not working properly anymore and desperately need a step-by-step tutorial. I'm a noob at these things. I saw the previous posts but I'm still unclear of what needs to be done
Want to know this too. My USB doesn't work anymore and warranty has expired so i need to go into the Mixtrack Pro with no prior experience to going inside something like this. Will i have to replace it? If so how? The problem seems to be it's loose and gone inside a bit meaning the USB seemingly can't get full/any connection - if my explaining is any good?
Zana Chevallier
Originally Posted by Chromatic
Does anyone know how to replace a cross fader on the mixtrack?
i was actually believeing about how that would work...which crossfader are you trying to replace it with? i havent put much research into it but i wonder if you could replace the factory mixtrack crossfader with a traktor kontrol s4 crossfader. that would be interesting
Ressie Losiewicz
Originally Posted by nikos13
I am also interested about the changing of platters in mixtrack/mixtrack pro and arcade buttons(changing the chassis with custom aluminum chassis is more possible...)
Very interested in this!!!
Adriana Bazzelle
Originally Posted by Quarent!ne
I just found this site a few minutes ago while looking for a replacement cross fader. It seems like it would be pretty useful for modders. http://www.instrumentalparts.com/index.html
Very useful, thank you!
Genia Berryhill
Originally Posted by letenous
can anyone do a video tutorial on how to do the USB mod? my usb head's not working properly anymore and desperately need a step-by-step tutorial. I'm a noob at these things. I saw the previous posts but I'm still unclear of what needs to be done
Want to know this too. My USB doesn't work anymore and warranty has expired so i need to go into the Mixtrack Pro with no prior experience to going inside something like this. Will i have to replace it? If so how? The problem seems to be it's loose and gone inside a bit meaning the USB seemingly can't get full/any connection - if my explaining is any good?
Bethany Samoy
Zana Chevallier
Originally Posted by Chromatic
i was actually believeing about how that would work...which crossfader are you trying to replace it with? i havent put much research into it but i wonder if you could replace the factory mixtrack crossfader with a traktor kontrol s4 crossfader. that would be interesting
Courtney Pauer
Ressie Losiewicz
Originally Posted by nikos13
I am also interested about the changing of platters in mixtrack/mixtrack pro and arcade buttons(changing the chassis with custom aluminum chassis is more possible...)
Very interested in this!!!
Loraine Chehab
Manuel Rima
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can put NS6 platters on a mixtrack pro? Bassically Id order replacement platter parts and switch them out but before i spend the money (that i dont have) I want to know if they fit.

Can you imagine?: Mixtrack pro painted with "white, Hammered effect Rust-Oleum", NS6 platters, green and blue chroma caps.
Hilda Benincasa
hey guys, my crossfader on my mixtrack pro is faulty. when i move it to the right side, i'm still hearing the left side. i'm a newbie but dont mind experimenting. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
India Trebesch
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures mate, would be interested to see how this works out!
Adriana Bazzelle
Originally Posted by Quarent!ne
I just found this site a few minutes ago while looking for a replacement cross fader. It seems like it would be pretty useful for modders. http://www.instrumentalparts.com/index.html
Very useful, thank you!
Jeramy Bajraktarevic
Arnetta Koskinas
Anyone still working on mods for their Mixtrack? I have the Mixtrack Pro and am contemplating an arcade button mod on the "stutter" buttons only...is this possible? I know an arcade mod for all 4 lower buttons was out (on the 1 side). but didn't know if just this button was possible...any help is appreciated!
Roseanne Mctamney
i have a mixtrack pro with broken deck volume faders and master gain fader, (3 faders total), i have opened my mixtrack and tried resoldering them, still the faders do not work properly. any idea on replacement parts?
Darrin Galeota
yes thats the c clip.

There should be a small gap between the clip and the shaft enough to get a screwdriver in.
Kaitlin Sinisgalli

Just for clarification is the above the c-clip?

N.B. I'm trying to get an actual picture as I type.
Darrin Galeota
Originally Posted by DanHaggar

Now I have a question for DJWindZone, how exactly do I remove the c clip and do you have any suggestions for a permanent fix for the sticky jog?
I just used a small flat head screwdriver to pry them off. They go back on easy enough with some pliers.

I re arranged the plastic washers to try it out by putting both of the washers between the jog and the bearing but didn't like it.

Now i put extra grease on the bearing and where the jog can come into contact with the case and its now a bit too free spinning for my liking.
Kaitlin Sinisgalli
Here's my experience.

I pulled apart a day old mixtrack to find the reason for the sticky right jogwheel (which i'm beginning to understand is a fairly common defect).

Dismantling the casing is pretty simple, just unscrew the back and lift. From there you'll find that the board is screwed in and held in place by two notches on the inner sides of both jogwheels. Dissecting a little further one can lift the board clear out save for the wires connecting the jogwheels.

As for the jogwheels, I couldn't figure out to remove the "c clip" and gave up on the idea of taking it out, but I did find that reason for the sticky jog is simply a case of it not being held in tightly enough. A better way to describe this is simply to say that if I flip my mixtrack upside down, the jogwheels shift further out of the frame.

The solution I found to this was simply to drill a hole in a wine cork to fit over the center of the back of the jog, and cut it to fit within the frame of the casing while still providing pressure. Wala' no more sticky jog. There was a bit of cork noise initially while spinning the jogs after putting the mixtrack back together but it's since worn down enough. However I should note that this is only a temporary fix as the cork will eventually wear down.

Now I have a question for DJWindZone, how exactly do I remove the c clip and do you have any suggestions for a permanent fix for the sticky jog?

Thanks in advance, this thread has been very helpful.
Anibal Kintigh
Originally Posted by hindidjian
@ yis - haven't heard of cross-fader reverse switch in mixtrack...

or maybe this is what you're lookin for:

xfader.jpg
Thanks very much!
Shanell Stodolak
@ yis - haven't heard of cross-fader reverse switch in mixtrack...

or maybe this is what you're lookin for:

xfader.jpg
Anibal Kintigh
Excuseme..where's the CrossFader reverse switch?
Vernie Beharry
MaxOnBass
Let us know the PCB issues (if any). . .

been a while for me on here!
Darcey Mens
Awesome thread.. I was believeing about modding my Mixtrack Pro a bit when I stumbled here.. now definitely gonna do something
Vernie Beharry
@djmodular
More than likely. . .but it would have to be very specific size, or you'd have to mill new holes to retrofit the newer crossfader to the PCB, as it's soldered into that puppy. Or you can cut the specific size and create an open face that can lay flush with the top. . .I just haven't had the time or energy to (DAMN GIGS!). The only reason for this type of mod was sdo I can have a Reverse switch ("Hamster-Style" for the turntablists)

I swear, I had this idea, and it took my post for others to get the mods done. . .great job on those mods again guys!
Kai Escovedo
Does anyone know if you can replace the cross fader on the Numark Mixtrack?
Lorina Eidsness
and i hate to double post, i got worried and put it back toevening , i was trying to loosen the metal part on the bottom of the board where the platters are, and was rotating the platter while holding it steady..it wouldn't budge so i put it back and decided to make it tighter..and scratching response increased QUITE a bit
Lorina Eidsness
call me stupid, but i cracked my mixtrack open to at least do the ring paint dealio..and i cant get the silver off at all
Eugenio Cheverie
This may be a dumb question... But how did y'all get your PCBs out? I tried yanking and it wouldn't budge... And I don't have 150$ to replace it...
Shanell Stodolak
I found this short A to mini B usb at target
Vernie Beharry
@hindidjian
Yeah. . .I'm just the Idea guy within my small circle of DJ j friends, and only 2-3 have actually integrated controllers into their rig (VCi-300, LPD-8, NanoKontrol/Nano Pads).

I rarely have time to with my studio in disarray (My MPD32 isn't responding the way I want it too, and the EVO MK149 keyboard is giving out ), work, some gigs. . I', just being overwhelmed outside of DJing.

With my own mods, I'm looking for a non contact crossfader for the Mixtrack, or something very similar. The Xfader on mine is getting too wobbly (slowly but surely ) and decent knobs to replace em with (there out of the black set on the djtt store). The USB mod is a given, as I already have shorter USB's for my studio set-up, but I'm more focused on getting the studio back up. . .

sorry if I'm rambling guys. . .but this site is my only getaway from the 12 hour days at work. . . .How busy? . .let's just say I work for eS Oh eN whY. . .and the recent hacks got me fried !
Loyce Mekonen
Awesome! Thanks!
Darrin Galeota
Thanks guys.

@Pancaker

Yep remove the jog wheels first, really easy to remove, only held in with a C clip and yes the outer silver rings do just unscrew from the main body of the jog wheel. I didn't sand as the paint just bonds to plastic quite well
Loyce Mekonen
Small question to those who painted their mixtrack's jogwheels. Did you remove the platter first? Does the "silver" plastic come off or did you just used masking tape as needed?
Shanell Stodolak
@peteGT : nice job!

@DjWindzone : tnx. since you're the one who
startd this thread why don't show us your mixtrack
mods or start to do your mod that's gonna be exciting
we'll looking forward to that 'coz you have a lot of good ideas.
Vernie Beharry
@PeteGT
That's exactly what I had in mind! My idea was to keep the cord exactly where it is and panel mount over the existing cable hole, so it wouldn't interfere with the PCB. Your placement makes much more sense though. . .

@hindidjian
Pretty slick with the lighted USB cable. NICE!

It's good to see that this idea took off as it has . . .unfortunately, I have mandatory OT. .12 hour days, 6-7 days a week. . .hopefully the paycheck will kick me in the butt to get started on this for my own Mixtrack. . .
Darrin Galeota
Have never seen those lighted usb cables before they look awesome

Heres some pics of usb mod and my mixtrack with replacement knobs and matt black platters.

The USB panel mount mod

The original mixtrack cable cut ready to be soldered to panel mount cable.

Found a suitable position to put the usb socket.

Had to make some room by cutting out the bracing. Used a dremel with a cutting disc and a file for all the cutting on the case.

Wish I had taken more pictures now

Maybe I will take more later of the usb mod and how I fitted the replacement ruberised knobs as these took some modification to fit.
Shanell Stodolak
it's good to know that you also doing mods on your mixtrack.
would you share to us your finished project?

anyway. my usb mod was a trial and error, if in case it didn't work, I
could still use the original usb wire, fortunately it does work and I'm waiting
for my full length lighted usb to arrive. http://www.wire-cable-manufacturer.c...g-cable/04.htm

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy