OpenDECK - open source DIY midi controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: OpenDECK - open source DIY midi controllerReply
OpenDECK - open source DIY midi controller
Posted on: 09.10.2012 by Nathanael Yerk
I got this idea while lurking DJ controllers on youtube and thought - hey, I could do that for cheap! Turned out I actually could do it, but wasn't cheap at all!

So, what is OpenDECK?
OpenDECK is full-featured DJ controller. It has everything you would expect - lots of pots, rotary encoders (taken from old hard drives), lots of buttons and LED indicators. At first - I thought I'll do it within 2 months. Then 2 months prolonged to 3, then 4 and now it's been over a year - still not finished! But I'm very close and that's why I'm showing it off here now.

Why it's called OpenDECK?
As soon it's finished complete schematics, code and documentation will be online.

So, here are couple of pictures:

It started like this:

And evolved into this:

Video:

Playing around with that salvaged hard drive:

And (very) early video preview (I'll upload another one soon):

I hope you guys like the idea. Till next time, enjoy!
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Touch sensitivity would be piss easy to add; just need a metal arm touching the platter at some point (ANY point, even the shaft they're mounted on) going to couple of resistors and a capacitor.

http://playground.arduino.cc//Main/C...=Main.CapSense
I'll leave that for OpenDeck 2, together with LCD screens, disks spinning like a vinyl etc.
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by thugsucker
What are those buttons and what are their dimensions? Could you post an Ebay link?
Drill hole is 12mm, outer dimension is 19. All the dimensions (including those) are in CorelDraw layout that's on GitHub.

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/6qdiw
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by Stewe
Just checked your facebook. You're from Croatia or Serbia?
Croatia.
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero
would have been perfect with pitch faders
Well, you can use disks for that. See the Seek, Tempo, Grid, Scratch section? Depending on the position of the pot you can turn on one of those functions at the time and disks will perform the selected function (with LED indicator).
Nathanael Yerk
Any plans on getting those jogwheels touch sensitive?
Maybe for some other project, right now no. Plus I don't have any experience with that... yet.
Nathanael Yerk
Well I hope, I've finished all the PCB boards design just now, I'll order them in a day or two so everything should be ready in about a week.
Kellie Myrum
Sounds pretty nice mate

Any performance soon?
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Touch sensitivity would be piss easy to add; just need a metal arm touching the platter at some point (ANY point, even the shaft they're mounted on) going to couple of resistors and a capacitor.

I'll leave that for OpenDeck 2, together with LCD screens, disks spinning like a vinyl etc.
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by thugsucker
What are those buttons and what are their dimensions? Could you post an Ebay link?
Drill hole is 12mm, outer dimension is 19. All the dimensions (including those) are in CorelDraw layout that's on GitHub.

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/6qdiw
Nadia Shelmadine
Doreen Schurle

Era Roka
nice!
Nathanael Yerk
I tested the MIDI out from Traktor the other day to see how LEDs behave and everything works. Right now I'm waiting for few more PCBs since I don't want to end up with one gazillion wires underneat the plate. Remember this is a one-man project so progress is slow, but it's there. Here's how LED look like when everything is lighted up:

And here's a bit of cosmetics

Sorry for the camera, didn't have better around.
Nathanael Yerk
Yes it is! Really can't wait until everything is finished.
Kellie Myrum
Seems it works like a charm. Pretty smooth.
Nathanael Yerk
All right, PCB has arrived, everything is soldered, now I just need to connect all the wires to the board. In the mean time - quick HDD test

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=262922473854390
Kellie Myrum
Super! Ja sam iz srbije

It's nice to see more guys from balkan in town.
Nathanael Yerk
Croatia.
Kellie Myrum
Nathanael Yerk
Here's some more info on how the modifiers work in OpenDeck:

As I've mentioned before, the buttons send another MIDI note on different MIDI channel when they're pressed for at least 1.5 seconds (that time is configurable). Not only MIDI note on but MIDI note off as well, so:

Case 1

You press a button for <1.5 second - it sends MIDI note on on channel 1, you release it - sends MIDI note off on channel 1

Case 2

You press a button - MIDI note on on channel 1 gets sent out immediately. You hold it for 1.5 seconds (the time required for long-press note) and it sends MIDI note on on channel 2. When you release it both channel 1 and channel 2 note off messages are being sent at the same time.

The potentiometers modifiers:

Each pot, with standard CC messages sends 6 different MIDI messages, depending on it's position.

3 cases are possible:

1) The pot reading is 0 (min) - note on 0, channel x (channel is configurable)
2) The pot reading is 127 (max) - note on 5, channel x
3) The pot reading is anything in between - then you just divide it's current position with 32 and add 1, so for example pot reading is 56 - the modifier note is 2, the pot reading is 123 - midi note is 4.

On top of that notes sent using pots act as "hold" button - so when pot reading is 0, midi note on 0 gets sent and when pots reading is 1, midi note on 1 gets sent AND midi note off 0 at the same time.

Now multiply all those possibilities by 2, since the button below the browse button is shift.

So, as you can see there's lots of possibilities. Any suggestions, comments, questions?
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero
Well, you can use disks for that. See the Seek, Tempo, Grid, Scratch section? Depending on the position of the pot you can turn on one of those functions at the time and disks will perform the selected function (with LED indicator).
Nathanael Yerk
Maybe for some other project, right now no. Plus I don't have any experience with that... yet.
Alena Horten
Jayme Biechy

I'm very close and that's why I'm showing it off here now.
Kellie Myrum
Valeri Millstein
Looks killer!
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by ErikMinekus
What about the case?
What about it?

Originally Posted by ErikMinekus
I'm looking to make a case with a metal faceplate too, plus it should be sturdy so I guess wood for the other sides should be fine. Did you do all that yourself? Any tips? Also, how was the text printed on the faceplate? It doesn't look like a sticker. Anyway, looks great!
The faceplate isn't metal, it's plexiglas, laser cut, not printed. Actually - it's two pieces of plexiglas. One plate is 3mm black one and other one is special double-coloured plate - it's black but it's white when you laser cut it. The downside of black one is that it doesn't look so good when you cut it. See the attachment (I've glued it on my soundcard because it looks cool there haha). The downside of the double-coloured one is that it's only 1.5mm thin so the guy who was doing it on CNC machine glued the two together with some kind of super strong glue and it looks wonderful and perfectly glued. I've attached the picture so you can see.

About the wooden case - my dads friend made it. It's also going to be painted black. When I learn some basic stuff in Google Sketchup or other similar software I'll make a sketch and upload it as well.
Kyra Ramquist
What about the case? I'm looking to make a case with a metal faceplate too, plus it should be sturdy so I guess wood for the other sides should be fine. Did you do all that yourself? Any tips? Also, how was the text printed on the faceplate? It doesn't look like a sticker. Anyway, looks great!
Nathanael Yerk
Did some tentative design for the cable plate today:

I believe this button is going to look very nice on it.
Nathanael Yerk
Thanks for all the great comments guys!
robin loo
looks awesome..
Nathanael Yerk
Disks added.

Also as I've said everything about this project is open sourced so I've created GitHub where you can find circuit, PCB schematics, layout and source code.

https://github.com/paradajz/OpenDeck
Ellsworth Moroni
Damn dude, this is sick ^^
Nathanael Yerk
That buttons are pretty. What's the feel on them?
Very nice - you just need to touch them a little bit and they work. Very responsive and much better than the last ones.
Kellie Myrum
That buttons are pretty. What's the feel on them?
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by tekki
Looks very promising!
Thanks. Added faders and some more buttons today.
Random X
Looks very promising!
Nathanael Yerk
Very, very nice! This will be great peace.
Thank you! I've added some HD shots aswell.
Kellie Myrum
Very, very nice! This will be great peace.
Nathanael Yerk
Update!

Final layout and real thing

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy