g4v vs vci-400 vs vci-380 vs s2 vs s4

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: g4v vs vci-400 vs vci-380 vs s2 vs s4Reply
g4v vs vci-400 vs vci-380 vs s2 vs s4
Posted on: 02.09.2013 by Anjelica Bowerman
I am trying to decide what's the best controller I should get. A little about myself, I have a day job, and will never be a real dj, lets just get that out of the way. This is a hobby for me, and if I get any good at it, MAYBE I'll dj for my friends and that's it. I have messed less than 1 hour on vdj home edition, and traktor pro 2, a lot more on ableton live (but man, ableton was simply the wrong path) And is starting to learn that ableton may not be my best interest for FUN. I have a lunchpad after seeing youtube videos, but turns out it's not all that cracked out to be (since you have to know live pretty well to do what most videos on youtube do). I do not play any instrument, nor have time to set up sounds for live for it, and live is also very expensive, so I don't believe I'll be using it as a drum pad. I do like effects, and lots of it, I enjoy harder music such as hard techno, hardcore, freeform, trance, hard trance, and hard house.

from what I have gathered so far, I was going to wait for g4v release, then buy that with traktor pro 2, until i read a lot of good reviews on vci-380, that's when i am second guessing myself. what would you guys recommend for someone like me?

btw, the more i read and learn the more i am shifting my price point up higher... anyone else?
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by TLC
i wish there are programs that let you loan the controller and software for like 30~60 days. i guess i can just bite the bullet and try to sell it if i end up not liking it. but taking a 50% loss for reselling sux...

I agree with all your points, they are actually quite insightful, I guess that settles it, S2 mk2 here I come!
Congrats on making a decision. Now for the tricky part....to STOP shopping and START playing and having fun with the new toy.
Anjelica Bowerman
Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj
The S2 (Mk1 or Mk2) is the most portable of the controllers you listed. If you intend to move the controller around a bunch...do NOT underestimate being able to use a standard 17" laptop bag to hold everything. Also...this is a solid controller that allows you to focus on the basics, and still do some tricks. I have one. For me the S2 was an upgrade from a VCI-100 Arcade. While you are getting your feet wet, this is a great controller. You may or may not ever outgrow this...depending on your usage and how active you are with this hobby. That said, I drool over the VCI-400EGE. I would REALLY like to have one of those...but I just can't justify the cost. Honestly, the S2 is still more controller than I use.

There are people experimenting with "four deck" mixing...but so far the techniques are good for "routines" but not as useful for "live mixing." Think carefully about what kind of music you want to make, and look for tools that support something you are interested in doing. You can always change....it only takes money.
i wish there are programs that let you loan the controller and software for like 30~60 days. i guess i can just bite the bullet and try to sell it if i end up not liking it. but taking a 50% loss for reselling sux...

I agree with all your points, they are actually quite insightful, I guess that settles it, S2 mk2 here I come!
Alecia Soulliere
Originally Posted by LiamRD
I would suggest a S4 MK2 if you are going to be using traktor, although they is nothing wrong with the MK1 S4's , you might be able to pick them up somewhere cheap and save yourself some money. I wouldnt recommend a DDJ SR, it is basically a stripped down version of the SX, but alot is different for the bad reasons, I would consider a DDJ SX, I know its more expensive, but its worth every penny.
This. I wouldnt bother with the S4 mk2, just get a second hand mk1 you'll be 100% happy with it since they changed just about nothing with the mk2 and you'll get it for roughly half the price.
Anjelica Bowerman
I am trying to decide what's the best controller I should get. A little about myself, I have a day job, and will never be a real dj, lets just get that out of the way. This is a hobby for me, and if I get any good at it, MAYBE I'll dj for my friends and that's it. I have messed less than 1 hour on vdj home edition, and traktor pro 2, a lot more on ableton live (but man, ableton was simply the wrong path) And is starting to learn that ableton may not be my best interest for FUN. I have a lunchpad after seeing youtube videos, but turns out it's not all that cracked out to be (since you have to know live pretty well to do what most videos on youtube do). I do not play any instrument, nor have time to set up sounds for live for it, and live is also very expensive, so I don't believe I'll be using it as a drum pad. I do like effects, and lots of it, I enjoy harder music such as hard techno, hardcore, freeform, trance, hard trance, and hard house.

from what I have gathered so far, I was going to wait for g4v release, then buy that with traktor pro 2, until i read a lot of good reviews on vci-380, that's when i am second guessing myself. what would you guys recommend for someone like me?

btw, the more i read and learn the more i am shifting my price point up higher... anyone else?
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by TLC

Congrats on making a decision. Now for the tricky part....to STOP shopping and START playing and having fun with the new toy.
Anjelica Bowerman
Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj
The S2 (Mk1 or Mk2) is the most portable of the controllers you listed. If you intend to move the controller around a bunch...do NOT underestimate being able to use a standard 17" laptop bag to hold everything. Also...this is a solid controller that allows you to focus on the basics, and still do some tricks. I have one. For me the S2 was an upgrade from a VCI-100 Arcade. While you are getting your feet wet, this is a great controller. You may or may not ever outgrow this...depending on your usage and how active you are with this hobby. That said, I drool over the VCI-400EGE. I would REALLY like to have one of those...but I just can't justify the cost. Honestly, the S2 is still more controller than I use.

There are people experimenting with "four deck" mixing...but so far the techniques are good for "routines" but not as useful for "live mixing." Think carefully about what kind of music you want to make, and look for tools that support something you are interested in doing. You can always change....it only takes money.

Layne Koop

Alecia Soulliere
Originally Posted by LiamRD
I would suggest a S4 MK2 if you are going to be using traktor, although they is nothing wrong with the MK1 S4's , you might be able to pick them up somewhere cheap and save yourself some money. I wouldnt recommend a DDJ SR, it is basically a stripped down version of the SX, but alot is different for the bad reasons, I would consider a DDJ SX, I know its more expensive, but its worth every penny.
This. I wouldnt bother with the S4 mk2, just get a second hand mk1 you'll be 100% happy with it since they changed just about nothing with the mk2 and you'll get it for roughly half the price.
Carlotta Melman
Anjelica Bowerman
ddj sr vs mk2 s4/s2 ? thoughts? I believe I am going to stay away from vci, since it doesn't come with free software.
Porfirio Stickell
Even with the new S4 release, still believe I'd buy a VCI-400 EGE if I had to choose again today.

Whether thats best for you is a very open question though. For just a hobby on your own something like a Z1 might be sufficient actually if you are going to use sync and cheaper if you give up in six months.

The 400 is a very mappable controller and will be useful with whatever software you end up using for the next few years. Can also function as a normal mixer ie no laptop needed to play sound through it. S2/4 are not going to get updated for at least a year now, and they don't bring much new to the table, but will be the closest to plugnplay and easy to find info and support.... but if you go back to ableton or virtualDj, I know they are usable with the VCI. You could probably get something going with an S4, but that seems more tied to Traktor somehow. I'd say the straight 400 is also more of a Traktor controller anyway too - its the 380 that was initially serato, but 400 also works (not sure about the EGE version though, I use traktor)

The VCI 400 EGE leaves you feeling a bit in the dark in terms of support and updates, but still has a few tricks up its sleeve that other controllers still don't seem to have caught up with.

If you're not going to beatmatch manually or make skratchy sounds, and therefore don't need jogwheels (or can learn pitchbends), a modular X1,F1,Z1 would give you a lot of things to fiddle with for a hobby.
Many Farnsley
Seems to me for traktor the s4 is the best option for traktor outdated or not, and for a 2 channel controller the s2 is great. I heard for a new controller for traktor the reloop jockey3 remix for traktor is one the best new controllers for traktor. seems like vci 380, and vci 400 is more geared towards serato.
Nila Ragonese
Don't get an S2 or S4 because they are old and outdated thus the discount on them. I'd expect new versions to be out at some point this month. Maybe at BPM next weekend. The VCI-400 is a beast of a product but kind of tries to bite off too much. The 380 on the other hand is awesome but it's only 2 decks if that matters to you. The G4V is priced right but comes with Virtual DJ which isn't great but i called and asked about other mappings and got a response saying they're making 2 different mappings for traktor.
easiest product to use will be the S2 S4 or the eventual new ones since it's plug and play. No importing mappings or anything.
Alecia Soulliere
Well for your situation I would say you first need to make sure of the software you want to use because S2 and S4 are really just for traktor where the 380 and 400 can be used with many different programs. The VCI 380 and 400 are awesome controllers but keep in mind they arent as plug and play as the kontrol series (though they have excellent support with mappings here). Being that you said you dont really want to have to set things up like you did with the launchpad and ableton, I would recommend getting a kontrol S2 or S4. They work great and control every aspect of the traktor software right out of the box.

I was in a similar situation as you are given that I am not looking to become a professional DJ and I can tell you that after owning a few smaller 2 channel controllers that I should have just spent the money on the S4 to begin with. Hope that helps you a little in your choice.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy