Ex turntablist getting back in

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Ex turntablist getting back inReply
Ex turntablist getting back in
Posted on: 10.11.2013 by Stefani Cabrara
Hi.Needles ex turntablist from the early 2000s and local DMC champ who's been totally out of the game for 10 years plus. I want to build a new setup incorporating a DVS system. I've never used Traktor or Serato. My old setup was two Gemini 500s and a Vestax 06 mixer.

Important hardware concerns for me are :

1. The fader. Must be smooth as silk, hamster button, realllly durable, and have curve adjust.
2. Transform switch ideal but not mandatory
3. I would like to be able to sample something I play quick and loop it (maybe a scratch beat or quick juggle) and the layer other live samples over top. Do I need a separate box, or do some mixers do this stock?
4. Computer. I have an old AMD dual core laptop, and realize I will probably have to upgrade. Are macs 100% necessary? I prefer windows but don't mind switching. What about something like Rain?
5. DVS. Are there say big differences between the two? Can both handle really technical scratches and juggles? Could I throw my old DMC set at either one without a hiccup?
6. Needles/cartridges. I used to use shure m44-7 (or - g). Have better ones come out. Should I consider the long skinny ortophone type?

I've done a bit if reading and my mixer choices seem to be

Rane 56/57
Rane 61/62
pioneer 909
pioneer t1
traktor z2

I realize if I get a non - DVS mixer (eg. 909) I will have to get the interface box too. What are the pros and cons of integrated interface/standalone box. If I got say a 57, could I use it with traktor? And vice versa with the t1?

Thanks a lot for all the help.
Stefani Cabrara
Bump a few months later. Thanks for all of the info, that helped a lot. I'm currently just waiting for a big payment to clear before I make my investment. I've resurrected my Gemini PT-1000s, and my Technics sh-dx1200 that I won back in the day, and am realizing they all need to be replaced. So in essence I'm building a brand new setup, with a pretty healthy budget to spend. So far my shopping list looks something like this:

2x Stanton Str8-150
Traktor Z2
2x Sure M44-7
2x Ortophone Scratch (as backups)
2012/13 (or maybe retina)15" MBP i7, 8gb, SSD
DIF-1S (backup/battle barbecues mixer I already have)

I do have a few more questions, if anybody can answer them.

I'd like to be able to sample something I do on the turntables (a juggle or scratch or whatever), and loop it on the fly, and then sample something else over top, and repeat. I know the remix decks in Traktor are good for sampling, but the post-fader sampling information seems to be in short supply. Are there easy ways to do this? What controller would I need to make this seamless (x1,f1...?)

Basicslly I want to hit a button to start sampling my master out, hit it again to stop, and very quickly get it playing back as a real deck sample(or otherwise) so I can add in another layer. Do I need ableton, or can traktor handle this by itself?

Thanks a lot for all the help, this community has been great.
Stefani Cabrara
Hi.Needles ex turntablist from the early 2000s and local DMC champ who's been totally out of the game for 10 years plus. I want to build a new setup incorporating a DVS system. I've never used Traktor or Serato. My old setup was two Gemini 500s and a Vestax 06 mixer.

Important hardware concerns for me are :

1. The fader. Must be smooth as silk, hamster button, realllly durable, and have curve adjust.
3. I would like to be able to sample something I play quick and loop it (maybe a scratch beat or quick juggle) and the layer other live samples over top. Do I need a separate box, or do some mixers do this stock?
4. Computer. I have an old AMD dual core laptop, and realize I will probably have to upgrade. Are macs 100% necessary? I prefer windows but don't mind switching. What about something like Rain?
5. DVS. Are there say big differences between the two? Can both handle really technical scratches and juggles? Could I throw my old DMC set at either one without a hiccup?
6. Needles/cartridges. I used to use shure m44-7 (or - g). Have better ones come out. Should I consider the long skinny ortophone type?

Rane 56/57
Rane 61/62
pioneer 909
pioneer t1
traktor z2

I realize if I get a non - DVS mixer (eg. 909) I will have to get the interface box too. What are the pros and cons of integrated interface/standalone box. If I got say a 57, could I use it with traktor? And vice versa with the t1?

Thanks a lot for all the help.
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by synthet1c
I believe the trade off from real vinyl to DVS is worth it.
I agree. An ex-turntablist coming back now, and getting a decent DVS system is gonna have some serious fun!!!

Originally Posted by synthet1c
you can effectively produce your own battle records
This is just ridiculous fun. I've made many battle records - it really is unbelievably easy! Check out DJ Angelo's recent tute on the issue:

Check out some of Fong Fong's routines - he even gives away the DVS Battle Record for each routine:

https://soundcloud.com/fongfong
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Pat, a transform switch is what you use to switch between line and phono, they have a heavy action that can help you transforming, although on some of the old vestax mixers the switch had the spring on one side so you could crab it.

To the OP, I believe you are better off getting a separate audio interface for your software of choice as then you can use it anywhere you go that has a mixer already set up, and really if you can deal with a little extra clutter around your setup it takes about a minute longer to plug in...

In regard to needles the ortofon serato's have a higher output, less distortion, are better at rewinding than the shure's and are tuned to the frequencies of timecode, but only minutely, I believe it comes down to personal preference. I like shure's as it feels like it has more weight "It doesn't really" and it looks better imo. You can see where the needle is more easily on the ortofon's, but that only matters if you are using real vinyl.

On the software, if you look at it from a technical stand point traktor is more sensitive as it uses a higher frequency for its timecode signal, Both are fully capable of producing complex scratches, but none are as precise as real vinyl, again not by enough to prevent you from doing anyithing you want but it's there. On the plus side of using DVS you can never wear an mp3, you can always play a hard to find track on your decks, you can effectively produce your own battle records, set up cuepoints and loops. I believe the trade off from real vinyl to DVS is worth it.
Kerry Shudy
Welcome back to the game! Now, to your questions:

Forget the old school Vestax crossfader on that 06, might be strong like steel but that thing weights like a hammer these days, if compared to the current options!Any of the new mixers is good on all aspects. Best options are Vestax 05 pro4 & Rane Sixty-Two or TTM56s if you want to keep things separated. The NI Z2 still has a lot of miles left to prove its durability.

Some mixers still utilize transformer switches (like the Vestax's) but the tech has remained about the same, i.e. crappy, noisy and still breaking relatively fast.

This is an option on most DVS systems, either in the box or incorporated inside a mixer. However I am afraid I can't help you with that as I am not using this function. For Serato search for the SP-6 sample player options.

I would suggest you pick a 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. It's proven on the field and without many options to confuse you. Anyhow, make sure you keep your new laptop outside the internet and you are good even with a PC one.

For turntablism use, I would suggest Serato. With that and a good laptop, you should be able to replicate your original routines 99% to the real thing.

Stick to the M44's, they're still really good. But also the Ortofon Concorde Scratch are also really good.

Rane 56/57
Rane 61/62
pioneer 909
pioneer t1
traktor z2

Better choose a mixer designated for the DVS you are going to use, i.e. Rane Sixty-two for Serato, NI Z2 for Traktor. You can always map one mixer to a different platform but the degrees of integration may vary heavily.

The major con of an integrated system is that if something breaks down (ex. 1 output) then immediately you lose your entire setup, until fixed. Keeping them separated though is a headache due to all the cabling you have to do.

Anyhow, pick the newest possible mixer you can afford. Otherwise sooner or later you will have to upgrade again. For example,the Rane 57 is a great mixer but runs on USB1.0, which soon will be obsolete. These days you have to consider DVS mixers as a hybrid with computers, which practical means that they have a shorter lifespan than normal mixers, as they are directly linked with current technology.
Brunilda Kora
For me, Traktor beats Serato - I really like turntablist routines done with just the Z2.

BUT - you'll also see a LOT of great routines done with Serato and the Rane 61/62/64.

I really like Novation Dicers for turntablism, too. They're a great piece of kit! I can give you my opinion on your Q's:

1. The fader. Must be smooth as silk, hamster button, really durable, and have curve adjust.
- Z2 has an Innofader x-fader. But you can also put an Innofader in practically any mixer that you like.
- Do you mean a hamster switch, or transform (fader open/closed) switches/buttons for the a & B side of the fader? (Like on some old scratch mixers?) I believe the technology for x-faders has come on so far, and cut in times are so low now, that transform buttons seem to have disappeared...
- This will be done in the software - Traktor handles this really well with Remix Decks and Loop recorders. Not sure about Serato...
- Macs are absolutely NOT necessary. Unless you'll be playing anywhere except your house, you can get a top spec'd desktop computer for much less than a laptop.
- Both are fine. There used to be some issues with super-slow drags, but as far as I know that's not a problem anymore. I used to use a basic DVS called DJ Decks. Even that was fine for juggle routines/scratches. The guy that made DJ Decks has now joined up with the people at Virtual DJ. Don't discount Virtual DJ, by the way. A lot of people are very excited about VDJ8 (but they're taking too long to release it - and we're SICK OF WAITING!!!)
- I don't believe ANY better ones have come out, but it's all down to personal preference. I've always used Stanton 500's (and I have some M44-7's, too), but I've never found any concorde style ("skinny") carts that can compete.

Unless you have a mixer that you love, I'd go for one of the all in one mixer/audio interfaces (Z2, Rane 62/64). But if you have a battle mixer that you absolutely love, then get an external audio interface and use it with that mixer. If you do that, you'll also need a midi controller (Dicers are perfect!) - or you'll be forever using the computer keyboard for loading tracks/capturing loops/etc...

Take a look at the ZOMO MC-1000 - it's what I use for all my navigation (track selection and loading) and FX needs.

Welcome to the community !
Petra Arra
if you get a rane, you still need a traktor box to use the traktor scratch pro. as well as a serato box for the z2 if you want to use scratch live.

windows and mac are a matter of preference, if you are familiar with windows go. get something that would fit your needs.

shure m44-7 is enough if you still have it so you wont have to buy one. unless its worn out, then get a new one

certified mixers already have an interface built in so you won't need an external one, no additional cables and units to worry about. though it would nice to have a back up if everything fails.

serato and traktor have both good DVS. once again, its a matter of preference. download a demo of both software and try it and see what you feel is right for you.

if you still have your old set up. then just get an audio interface of your software of your choice.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy