Re-labelling a controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Re-labelling a controllerReply
Re-labelling a controller
Posted on: 25.11.2013 by Khadijah Deturk
Hi everyone, first post here - apologies if this has been discussed in depth already.

Basically, I am looking for any tips on re-label a controller so that each knob/slider/button, etc corresponds to its user-defined mapping. I have remapped every inch of my VCM-600 and it now meets all my needs with regards to controlling Ableton; yet very few of the knobs and buttons are now used for what the original labels suggest...

As I may sell or pass on the controller in the future I don't want to make any permanent changes to it. I'm also a bit of a pedant when it comes to keeping my gear neat and tidy..

(I did break this latter rule once: a while back I went to work on a cheap midi-keyboard with various bits of coloured paper and lots of sellotape.. Sounds terrible but I loved how crazy it looked, and it was immediately clear what everything did. When I decided to take everything off, however, I was left with a mess of a controller. The VCM-600 is metal so maybe I wouldn't have the same problems..)

Anyway! If anyone has any tips and tricks to share I'd be very interested! Is there a neat, non-permanent way that doesn't involve creating a whole new faceplate? Are there certain ideas that will backfire in, say, a hot evening club?

Any advice would be great!
Pearl Diazmartinez
Originally Posted by Patch
Nothing teaches a controller who's the boss by sticking labels all over it!

Personalizing your controller makes it exactly that - PERSONAL.

It's VERY important to OWN (take ownership) of your instrument. Owning it half-heartedly (ie - keeping it nice in case you sell it) is putting up a barrier between yourself and getting really good at what you do.

Take ownership of your controller. Do whatever you need to do to it to make it yours!
Dude. You just said a mouthful. The clouds just parted and a rainbow shot out my @ss, lol. Seriously, this was something I really needed to hear, thanks!
Armando Waithour
i use simple sticker and like the d.i.y. look of it.
to remove the stickers I use cleaning alcohol.
very basic, very simple and 100% removeable.

555246_521518047887720_587513116_n.jpg
Khadijah Deturk
Hi everyone, first post here - apologies if this has been discussed in depth already.

Basically, I am looking for any tips on re-label a controller so that each knob/slider/button, etc corresponds to its user-defined mapping. I have remapped every inch of my VCM-600 and it now meets all my needs with regards to controlling Ableton; yet very few of the knobs and buttons are now used for what the original labels suggest...

As I may sell or pass on the controller in the future I don't want to make any permanent changes to it. I'm also a bit of a pedant when it comes to keeping my gear neat and tidy..

(I did break this latter rule once: a while back I went to work on a cheap midi-keyboard with various bits of coloured paper and lots of sellotape.. Sounds terrible but I loved how crazy it looked, and it was immediately clear what everything did. When I decided to take everything off, however, I was left with a mess of a controller. The VCM-600 is metal so maybe I wouldn't have the same problems..)

Anyway! If anyone has any tips and tricks to share I'd be very interested! Is there a neat, non-permanent way that doesn't involve creating a whole new faceplate? Are there certain ideas that will backfire in, say, a hot evening club?

Any advice would be great!
Pearl Diazmartinez
Originally Posted by Patch

It's VERY important to OWN (take ownership) of your instrument. Owning it half-heartedly (ie - keeping it nice in case you sell it) is putting up a barrier between yourself and getting really good at what you do.

Take ownership of your controller. Do whatever you need to do to it to make it yours!
Dude. You just said a mouthful. The clouds just parted and a rainbow shot out my @ss, lol. Seriously, this was something I really needed to hear, thanks!
Tania Somppi
I've still got a load of printable sticky CD/DVD labels so I usually use them to print off some stickers to carefully cut out and stick on.
Brunilda Kora

Rolanda Clodfelder
White electrical tape and a sharpie
Armando Waithour
i use simple sticker and like the d.i.y. look of it.
to remove the stickers I use cleaning alcohol.
very basic, very simple and 100% removeable.

555246_521518047887720_587513116_n.jpg
Jack Narva
You can get a skin made for it by Styleflip, it is not expensive. Styleflip has a VCM-600 template at the following link

http://www.styleflip.com/categories_.../vcm-600-p-334

Edit the template so that instead of a flashy graphic or artwork your controls are labeled.

A tip, do it by hand on a piece of paper first so that you can work out the wording and layout of the labels. It will save a lot of time.
Letitia Sehlhorst
masking tape and writing utensil of your choice
Ervin Calvery
You could cut out a nice overlay, or just use 12inchskinz.
Charline Dye
A label maker.
Josef Modine
i used to use refrigerator stickers on my mpd24 when i used it as a Fx/hotcue module in traktor. worked pretty well for me

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy