Which Xone's made for me: Xone:92 or Xone:DB2

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Which Xone's made for me: Xone:92 or Xone:DB2Reply
Which Xone's made for me: Xone:92 or Xone:DB2
Posted on: 22.03.2012 by Basil Forshee
Since I've met the Xone DB4, I fell in love with it. It was going to be mine, period. But since a couple of months, I've decided to not spend all my money on a Xone DB4. Since I'm a student, it's just too much money to spend on something at the moment. At first, it left 1 personal alternative: the Xone 92. But then came BPM 2011 and I was quite happy when the Xone DB2 got its introduction. But my heart already fell for the Xone 92.

Since that lovely day in October, my head is playing a game with me. Then I'm sure; I'm going for the DB2, no doubt! But a few weeks later, hmm the 92 is greater! And then the next day: no, the DB2 is greaterer ! And so it goes on and on... So now I'm facing you, the wonderful community of DJTT. You can help me out, right?

In December I've tested the Xone DB4. The FX Engine is just amazing. FX sounds a lightyear ahead of the competition, although I've only heard the Pioneer and Denon ones. So I know that the DB2 is cut from the same cloth. No question about that. Beside all the good things on the DB2, a few personal disadvantages regarding the DB2:
  • No Voltage Controlled/Digital Filters
  • No FX Send/Return - AUX
  • Although the DB2 has an on-board soundcard, no routing to the MIC Channel is possible for using a Maschine. For using the Maschine, like Dubfire (he uses the DB4), I still need an external soundcard!
  • 6-digit VU meter

Probably most important in choosing my mixer of choice, is the genre I'm playing. I play Techno and occasionally Tech House/Deep House, but mostly Techno. For the US viewers believe Audio Injection, Chris Liebing, Richie Hawtin etc. So I won't be using DVS and Traktor Scratch Certification is not important for me, neither is the Input Matrix.

I've seen a few posts of names like Xonetacular and D@VE! regarding the Filters. Well, I've to agree with them. When I heard the filters for the first time (like 4 years ago on the Xone 92) I immediately fell in love with them. It's A&H's trademark. I love that sweeping sound. I love the High Pass Filter with half Mild/half Wild Resonance. Having the FILTER Mode instead of the normal EQ is great, but it's a setting which affect all the channels, and I don't like to use the Pioneer-esque LPF/HPF without adjustable Resonance.

Did I already mentioned the DB series FX? Yes, and I still love it! But I'll mostly be using Delays and Reverbs, so it's a nice gimmick, but not essential for me. And the Loopers will not be used, since I'm using Traktor for that. That's one of the reasons I love the Xone 92, because it has a FX Send/Return option. The way Richie Hawtin this is using, is just incredible. And this addition leads to 1001 options: routing the Traktor FX to it, routing Ableton FX to it or just use an external FX unit for even greater purposes!
And having 2 AUX/FX Send/Return channels, which have adjustable Dry/Wet for each channel, is just awesome. Does anyone has an experience with routing FX to the Xone 92? And you can make the faders either pre-fader or post-fader right? I can imagine having great delays and then slam the fader down... Lovely tail that's ringing out .

I do use Traktor, but am going to use two X1's or 1 X1 and 1 F1. In the future, I would like to experiment with the Maschine. That's why I mentioned the MIC Channel.

So looking at this, I tend to go for the Xone 92. Why? Because of all my needs and I'm going to need an external soundcard anyway (Maschine). It's going to be the Traktor Audio 10 and I believe the difference in sound quality between the on-board soundcard of the DB2 and the Traktor Audio 10 is only marginal. I couldn't care less about cables, it's nice to not have them, but if they're just laying behind the mixer (obviously ) it's fine with me.

I'll hope that you can give feedback on this decision, and if I'm summing up everything correctly (mention the mistakes!) because I'm stuck with my hands in my hair. Now it's all hail the Xone 92, but yesterday I wanted to marry the DB2...

What are your personal advantages regarding the DB2 or 92 and why should I purchase the DB2 or the 92?
Vincent Carnicle
Originally Posted by JDFS
That's another good option, too; routing Maschine's output to the same Traktor output!

And you're right about the cables, I'd calculated that with my setup I'll be using 17 cables total. With the DB2, they're limited to 5 (!) cables (including ALL connections, power, USB/FireWire etc.)

But here's the thing; though the DB2 is fully digital and everything (FX units), I just want the VCFs. They're just too good. The DB2 is like the only mixer in the Xone DJ mixer range that doesn't come with their trademark VCFs. That's just a damn shame. And 4-band EQ is a nice gimmick. And the FX Send/Return of the Xone 92 works really great, because you can determine on which channel you want FX and how dry/wet, just arranged on the mixer.
It's pretty old thread but I was wondering what you end up with?

I'm in similar situation right now. I want traktor post fader effects routed to mixer and be able to host my mashine on it as well.

I'm really curious about your experience with either of them.
Nancey Inderlied
Why doesn't it make sense? And I'm not only pinpointing on Traktor's FX, what to believe about Ableton...

And the 4 channels are for Traktor Decks and 1 AUX channel is for maybe a Maschine. But i'd like to do stuff with Traktor's Remix Decks as well.

4 decks in Traktor, Ableton effects, and a Maschine is one of those setups that sounds awesome on paper, but is a total management evening mare in reality. Your setup consists of a mixer, 2 x1s, an A10, 1-2 Ableton FX controllers, a USB hub, and nothing less than a pile of patch cable and dodgy cable adapters wiring everything in, not to mention actually running and controlling Ableton, Traktor, and Maschine all at once.

Ditching the A10, stacking the Maschine on one of Traktor's channels (send both outputs to the same sound card channel, you won't use both at the same time.), and keeping the majority of what you're going to do in Ableton FX hard built into your mixer is going to be much more usable.

Having infinite possibilities means compromising on either usability or logistics. While the DB2s FX units are "limited," they're infinitely more accessible than the evening mare that is bussing and controlling Ableton FX in any meaningful way. It's ultimately up to how "limited" you're ok with being, but I believe you'll be much happier with the DB2.
Basil Forshee
Originally Posted by photojojo
I'm believeing 92.
You're like a voice in my head . The 92, 2 Track Decks, 2 Remix Decks, 1 FX channel and in the future 1 Maschine. POWER!
Ming Devis
I hear some talk about digital to analogue conversion and the quality of these. Is it more to these interfaces than just sample rate spec's?
Alphonso Deitchman
There should be no audible difference between the Audio 10, DB2, and DB4 - assuming all the gain stages are set correctly.
Dustin Rajesh
It's an old thread I know, but would anyone know about a review/comparison between the DB2 and DB4 in terms of sound quality? The sound cards are different with the DB2 offering a sample rate of 48 kHz while the DB4 offers 96 kHz. I wonder whether there is an audible difference between the two.

Any comparison to a Traktor Audio 10 would be interesting as well, as I own one. Depending on which sounds better (regardless of the current driver issues), I may just use an external sound card.
Ming Devis
I wish Allen and Heath would come out with an external version of the DB2/4 effects engine. That coupled with a xone 92 would be sweet!
Vincent Carnicle
That's another good option, too; routing Maschine's output to the same Traktor output!

And you're right about the cables, I'd calculated that with my setup I'll be using 17 cables total. With the DB2, they're limited to 5 (!) cables (including ALL connections, power, USB/FireWire etc.)

But here's the thing; though the DB2 is fully digital and everything (FX units), I just want the VCFs. They're just too good. The DB2 is like the only mixer in the Xone DJ mixer range that doesn't come with their trademark VCFs. That's just a damn shame. And 4-band EQ is a nice gimmick. And the FX Send/Return of the Xone 92 works really great, because you can determine on which channel you want FX and how dry/wet, just arranged on the mixer.
It's pretty old thread but I was wondering what you end up with?

I'm in similar situation right now. I want traktor post fader effects routed to mixer and be able to host my mashine on it as well.

I'm really curious about your experience with either of them.
Basil Forshee

Nancey Inderlied
Why doesn't it make sense? And I'm not only pinpointing on Traktor's FX, what to believe about Ableton...

And the 4 channels are for Traktor Decks and 1 AUX channel is for maybe a Maschine. But i'd like to do stuff with Traktor's Remix Decks as well.

4 decks in Traktor, Ableton effects, and a Maschine is one of those setups that sounds awesome on paper, but is a total management evening mare in reality. Your setup consists of a mixer, 2 x1s, an A10, 1-2 Ableton FX controllers, a USB hub, and nothing less than a pile of patch cable and dodgy cable adapters wiring everything in, not to mention actually running and controlling Ableton, Traktor, and Maschine all at once.

Ditching the A10, stacking the Maschine on one of Traktor's channels (send both outputs to the same sound card channel, you won't use both at the same time.), and keeping the majority of what you're going to do in Ableton FX hard built into your mixer is going to be much more usable.

Having infinite possibilities means compromising on either usability or logistics. While the DB2s FX units are "limited," they're infinitely more accessible than the evening mare that is bussing and controlling Ableton FX in any meaningful way. It's ultimately up to how "limited" you're ok with being, but I believe you'll be much happier with the DB2.
Basil Forshee

Nancey Inderlied
I'm going to say DB2, only because getting a 92 just doesn't make sense in this situation. Running an S/R loop with Traktor is pointless if you're playing out of Traktor, and the DB2s soundcard allows you to scrap the A10 for a few hundred Euros.

I'm really confused why you would want a 92 in this case. Or why in the world you would need a Mic channel for a Maschine when you've got 4 right in front of you?
Felipe Rasper
Meaby this will help :

http://www.djcommunity s.com/community s/showt...one-DB2-Review
Hanna Ridenbaugh
so 2 votes for 92 and 1 for db2.

I suppose one way to look at it is the 92 is the top end analogue mixer from A & H and the DB2 is 2nd in their digital mixer range.
Leeanna Ayla
I'm believeing 92. With at least two add on controllers. Probably a k2 and an F1. I want to play with some Korg FX machines, but I'm not real sure I'll like those.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Sounds wicked

Photojojo which mixer you planning on grabbing next?
Basil Forshee
Originally Posted by photojojo
I'm believeing 92.
You're like a voice in my head . The 92, 2 Track Decks, 2 Remix Decks, 1 FX channel and in the future 1 Maschine. POWER!
Leeanna Ayla
I'm believeing 92.
Felipe Rasper
Each one is in there own league, it just depends on what you want, i would have fun with each one of them. but in the end i believe the effects on the DB2 will win the fight for me.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
got a second hand mint condition one off a friend otherwise i would have gone for the 92 if i had the money to buy new.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
It's their synth. I use the fx in traktor,plenty there. it does have aux send return with pre switch and post fader send, which i have not evan tried out yet, only got it last week n still getting to grips with 4band eq's
Basil Forshee
That Kaossilator is a FX unit right? Can you route the FX post-fader on the 62?
Hanna Ridenbaugh
I just got the 62 and thought it would be overkill but actually use them all. 1preview channel. 1korg kaossillator. 2 track decks and 2 sample decks. Happy day's
Basil Forshee
Well, Dubfire is using the DB4, Richie Hawtin, Chris Liebing, etc. still use the 92 mainly because it has 6 channels (EFX and Maschine). Tough choices...
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Nice. go for the 92 for the analog sound. but db2 will probably hold it's value better. oh it is a tough one. better get some other input. I reckon check what the big guy's like Hawtin and dubfire are using now and throw your money that direction. Since they must know best.
Basil Forshee
Well, here in The Netherlands the difference between a Xone 92 and a Xone DB2 is just € 80. And I'm not going to buy a second handed one, I saved enough money for a new one .
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Since your a student probably best to buy a second hand 92. Doubt you'll find a db2 as cheap

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy