Reply to Which Xone's made for me: Xone:92 or Xone:DB2

Which Xone's made for me: Xone:92 or Xone:DB2
Since I've met the Xone DB4, I fell in love with it. It was going to be mine, period. But since a couple of months, I've decided to not spend all my money on a Xone DB4. Since I'm a student, it's just too much money to spend on something at the moment. At first, it left 1 personal alternative: the Xone 92. But then came BPM 2011 and I was quite happy when the Xone DB2 got its introduction. But my heart already fell for the Xone 92.

Since that lovely day in October, my head is playing a game with me. Then I'm sure; I'm going for the DB2, no doubt! But a few weeks later, hmm the 92 is greater! And then the next day: no, the DB2 is greaterer ! And so it goes on and on... So now I'm facing you, the wonderful community of DJTT. You can help me out, right?

In December I've tested the Xone DB4. The FX Engine is just amazing. FX sounds a lightyear ahead of the competition, although I've only heard the Pioneer and Denon ones. So I know that the DB2 is cut from the same cloth. No question about that. Beside all the good things on the DB2, a few personal disadvantages regarding the DB2:
  • No Voltage Controlled/Digital Filters
  • No FX Send/Return - AUX
  • Although the DB2 has an on-board soundcard, no routing to the MIC Channel is possible for using a Maschine. For using the Maschine, like Dubfire (he uses the DB4), I still need an external soundcard!
  • 6-digit VU meter

Probably most important in choosing my mixer of choice, is the genre I'm playing. I play Techno and occasionally Tech House/Deep House, but mostly Techno. For the US viewers believe Audio Injection, Chris Liebing, Richie Hawtin etc. So I won't be using DVS and Traktor Scratch Certification is not important for me, neither is the Input Matrix.

I've seen a few posts of names like Xonetacular and D@VE! regarding the Filters. Well, I've to agree with them. When I heard the filters for the first time (like 4 years ago on the Xone 92) I immediately fell in love with them. It's A&H's trademark. I love that sweeping sound. I love the High Pass Filter with half Mild/half Wild Resonance. Having the FILTER Mode instead of the normal EQ is great, but it's a setting which affect all the channels, and I don't like to use the Pioneer-esque LPF/HPF without adjustable Resonance.

Did I already mentioned the DB series FX? Yes, and I still love it! But I'll mostly be using Delays and Reverbs, so it's a nice gimmick, but not essential for me. And the Loopers will not be used, since I'm using Traktor for that. That's one of the reasons I love the Xone 92, because it has a FX Send/Return option. The way Richie Hawtin this is using, is just incredible. And this addition leads to 1001 options: routing the Traktor FX to it, routing Ableton FX to it or just use an external FX unit for even greater purposes!
And having 2 AUX/FX Send/Return channels, which have adjustable Dry/Wet for each channel, is just awesome. Does anyone has an experience with routing FX to the Xone 92? And you can make the faders either pre-fader or post-fader right? I can imagine having great delays and then slam the fader down... Lovely tail that's ringing out .

I do use Traktor, but am going to use two X1's or 1 X1 and 1 F1. In the future, I would like to experiment with the Maschine. That's why I mentioned the MIC Channel.

So looking at this, I tend to go for the Xone 92. Why? Because of all my needs and I'm going to need an external soundcard anyway (Maschine). It's going to be the Traktor Audio 10 and I believe the difference in sound quality between the on-board soundcard of the DB2 and the Traktor Audio 10 is only marginal. I couldn't care less about cables, it's nice to not have them, but if they're just laying behind the mixer (obviously ) it's fine with me.

I'll hope that you can give feedback on this decision, and if I'm summing up everything correctly (mention the mistakes!) because I'm stuck with my hands in my hair. Now it's all hail the Xone 92, but yesterday I wanted to marry the DB2...

What are your personal advantages regarding the DB2 or 92 and why should I purchase the DB2 or the 92?
You need to login in order to write on our forum

<< Cancel

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy