The BIG Arduino MIDI controller thread

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: The BIG Arduino MIDI controller threadReply
The BIG Arduino MIDI controller thread
Posted on: 14.12.2010 by Arcelia Siebeneck
Seen a lot of people on here talking about setting up a midi controller based on Arduino recently so thought it might be an idea to get all the relevant information collected into one thread.

Here's some useful links:

This is the Arduino basic tutorial on how to get midi up and running: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Midi
This is some Arduino code that will get 8 potentiometers working:
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/200...i-cc-data.html

video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7wJDpk_yoA
This is a thread with Arduino code to get 6 potentiometers working: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1165833586
Here is someone who built a basic Traktor arcade controller using Arduino (includes code): http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1282913420
Quite an insightful thread on getting a midi controller working and discussion of analogue multiplexers: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1264607305
48 analog inputs/digital inputs/digital outputs (in combination): http://mayhewlabs.com/arduino-mux-shield
Magan Eagleman
Hey Guys,

i
Willia Subotic
I am using a arduino mega and making a custom MIDI fighter as a prototype for my own all in one controller Just doing it as an exercise to see whether I can do it.

I am making a controller featuring full LED feedback on 16 fully lit arcade buttons, 4 LED encoder and 2 super FX faders.

Should have it finished in time for late April
Arcelia Siebeneck
This is quite handy:

http://arduinodrums.blogspot.com/201...d74hc4067.html

Basically you buy an Arduino and one of these: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9056 ($4.95) and you instantly get 16 analogue pots. The good thing about this mux pcb is that its really cheap and you can use multiple mux's... 64 pots should be feasible, if you're using an Arduino Mega, for less than
Maryanne Weatherill
Just book marked this

Hope i get time during the week to go through it.

Thanks MiLO for starting this.
Arcelia Siebeneck
32 analogue pots via midi using multiplexers:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/captaincredible/3359088943/in/photostream/"]Arduino based 32 pot midi controller | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3418/3359088943_c4b24d6a7d_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3359088943@ @AMEPARAM@@c4b24d6a7d[/ame]
Arcelia Siebeneck
Arduino arrived today... got it hooked up and finally working (pain in the arse trying to get the drivers working in Win7 x64)

I loaded my first bit of code on to it just now and it's all working nicely

Just spent the last 20 minutes ordering a whole bunch of extra components so I can do some basic stuff with it, including:

NEW HELPING HAND TOOL SOLDER MODELING KIT MAGNIFYING
KINGBRIGHT 0.56" 7 SEGMENT LED DISPLAY HE RED (CA)
10 WAY SINGLE ROW PCB PIN HEADER CONNECTOR (10 PACK)
6 WAY DOUBLE ROW PCB PIN HEADER CONNECTOR (15 PACK)
(Pack of 25) Small Tactile PCB Switch / Button 6x6x4mm
840 Pin Breadboard 66mm x 174mm & 140 Jumper Wire Kit
Solderless Breadboard Jumper Cable Wire Kit 2 bundles

plus some encoders, more potentiometers and some ribbon cable/wiring... hopefully should have something semi-usable in the next week or so!
Louisa Oberc
I was believeing of using the short travel clicky style that is used on the ddm4000... If there is room for them, I will certainly add as many as I can though....
Lewis Stumpf
Arcade buttons are all about the feel and ease of pressing the button.

I believe Ean stated in an interview some while back that he actually starting having wrist problems due to playing bad buttons.
When you're heavily hitting the buttons, or quickly, whatever, it's nice to have some big, soft fluffy buttons to press, rather than some small rubbery ones.
Louisa Oberc
Ean's stuff always impresses me, however I don't really see what the arcade style buttons did for his performance... Anyone with sufficient skill (sooooo not me...) should be able to perform pretty much the same with similar (but cheaper) buttons... as long as the button is reliable..

Unless you can find me a place to buy arcade buttons for about a buck each that is...
Arcelia Siebeneck
check any of Ean's videos to see what you can do with arcade buttons, performance-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eB83axVvw

my perfect controller would be the concept I'm designing at the moment (check my sig - the cdj2000 link)
Louisa Oberc
Ahhh.... good point sir! Although I tend to adjust the auto-gain myself since I don't find it works all that well, I can understand that there would be many people who don't... I'll make the 4 channel gains endless encoders...

What's the deal with arcade buttons? It seems as if everyone is all gaga over them, but is it just the size/feel? or are they somehow more accurate than normal buttons?

My issue is that they're HUUUGE.... I would sacrifice quite a bit of real estate to fit them... however after I get the required stuff (global/fx/loop/channel/etc) nailed down, I'll see how much space I have left over..

Re: selling it... I probably wouldn't sell the first one I build, but I am toying with a custom controller building service... tell me what you want, and i will build it for you... It would be more expensive than just a controller, but the end result is 100% custom for your needs.

What would be your 100% MUST HAVE feature that is not always included on a controller? (i.e., such-and-such controller would be PERFECT, if only it had a.............)
Arcelia Siebeneck
are you believeing of selling it once its completed? Depending on the finish/quality, anything between $500-800? I'd probably want a bunch of arcade buttons on there first!

the reason I would consider using encoders as gain controls is because Traktor autogains each track when it loads. This means that you would need to use soft takeover on any potentiometer as the knob would always be in the wrong position when loading new tracks. An encoder solves this problem perfectly.
Louisa Oberc
I haven't, no... I am now though...

My goal is to have at least 2-4 encoders per channel plus 4 or 8 for personal choice... Are endless encoders really that useful for gain? I find my self barely touching it, and when I do, it's rarely more than a few degrees of motion...

Anything you would change? Placement, distances, sizes (5mm small/12mm large buttons, 10mm knobs), etc?

Also, what would one pay for such a device? assuming I end up completing it
Arcelia Siebeneck
very nice design!

have you thought about using encoders for the gain controls? (like the S4)
Louisa Oberc
Originally Posted by safefire
I know what you mean about the quality of the analog parts.
What I meant was more that, with manufacturers like ALPS, most of their datasheets are so groggy and incomplete that I have a hard time believing the quality of their mechanical parts.
I havent found the datasheets lacking (at least for their buttons and pots), the mechanical drawings are very precise and complete, and as for electrically... ground, power, signal... 99% of pots are wired the same, outside contacts are for ground/power and the centre is signal...

Unless you are referring to more detailed information such as force required to push/turn, etc...

RS-Components sell ALPS parts and a few Bourns as well. They sell in mostly reasonable quantities (1-10+), and ship at reasonable rates. Oh well.
If I can find buttons and pots for just under a dollar a piece in quantity (for my final prototype I am expecting 70+ pots and nearly 200 buttons), that would be ideal... I always wondered how companies justify $500+ for a 'simple' controller... Then I researched the component prices, and unless I am building thousands of controllers (10's of thousands of buttons), I doubt I could be competitive...

your 40XXN chips, are those just generic ADCs or? What are your experiences with these?
The 4021's are digital (de)multiplexers, believe of them like a network switch. you connect 8 (or more) buttons to the inputs of the 4021, and then ask it for the current state. It reads all the inputs in parallel (all 8 at once), then spits it back out serially (one at a time).

The 4051's are their analog counterparts. Hook 8 (or more) analog sources to the inputs, and then one by one you go through the inputs and read them. Internally, the chip will switch each input to a common output (which is connected to an analog input on the arduino). Then its just a simple analogRead() to grab the value.

It sounds a little complicated, but once you've played with them (they are cheaper than dirt, pick some up!) and seen how the code works it becomes second nature...

The fun part comes when you daisy chain them together My final controller will likely use an even bigger IC that has 32 inputs, so 4 for pots and faders, 6-8 for buttons and i'll be set let's just say that using 10 (5 each) of the larger ic's you could have 160 buttons and 160 pots/faders using only 9 digital inputs and 5 analog inputs: 5 digital, 5 analog for the pots and 4 digital for the buttons (iirc).

The problem then moves into the software, in that the more time spent reading inputs, the less time available to send midi, so you will encounter latency... I have no clue when that will become a factor (as in how many inputs), but with my current prototype it reads all the inputs (about 27) 50,000 times per second... I have a feeling I have a little headroom before I have to worry

I would like to find some sort of information as to how many messages per second is required for "zero latency"...

As well, since you're drawing up things in eagle, I assume you've put some work into designing the PCBs as well?
Yeah, I've done a few

Here's a quick writeup I did a while back: http://arduino.cc/community /index.php/topic,5650.0.html

Your workflow looks very similar to mine, too. I'm quite well versed in drawing up schematics and plans for controllers, cases and parts, if you'd like some help getting things laid out nice and tidy, give me a shout

Keep up the good work
Well here is the current state of the prototype. The channels, fx, and transport sections are complete, still have to take care of the loops and globals, then fit as many more controls as space allows...

I invite criticism and suggestions to the layout, it's a fluid work in process so any input is always appreciated

btw, it is currently 18" x 13" (and I have already decided to move the xfader down a half inch or so)

Lewis Stumpf
I know what you mean about the quality of the analog parts.
What I meant was more that, with manufacturers like ALPS, most of their datasheets are so groggy and incomplete that I have a hard time believing the quality of their mechanical parts.

RS-Components sell ALPS parts and a few Bourns as well. They sell in mostly reasonable quantities (1-10+), and ship at reasonable rates. Oh well.

your 40XXN chips, are those just generic ADCs or? What are your experiences with these?

As well, since you're drawing up things in eagle, I assume you've put some work into designing the PCBs as well?

Your workflow looks very similar to mine, too. I'm quite well versed in drawing up schematics and plans for controllers, cases and parts, if you'd like some help getting things laid out nice and tidy, give me a shout

Keep up the good work
Louisa Oberc
Originally Posted by Archies'bald
Erm.... could someone pick my jaw up from the floor please? Lovely work.

How long has it taken you to this point DJNecro?
The midi stuff is about 8-12 weeks of time so far (sporadic since it's currently a hobby), overall electronics/arduino stuff? just over a year... all self taught.

Yay, Eagle

Looks like you're making good progress mate. Nice to see someone take some stuff out of their head and down on paper.

I'm about hit the hay, so I'll leave the majority of my questions till the morning.

One thing I'd like to know though is, which pots and faders are you using?
I've been shopping around for good quality analog inputs. The only models I can find which looks relatively well made are Bourns, and those I can't buy in quantities under 120+.

I'm very excited about your project. I'll have nothing short of a thousand questions ready for you tomorrow, regarding 40XXN chips, boards and that touch screen.

Keep up the good work
Nothing special for the prototype, that is a question I have myself... I only know that I'll be using ALPS pots/faders/encoders, and likely buttons too, but I find it harder to buy buttons online, as its not as much the look but the feel of the button that is most important... it's tough to push a button over the intertubes these days... I'd love to use arcade buttons, but they are way too pricey in the qty i'd be buying, and their size!!! oh so big... lol

I am not too sure how much 'quality' is required when we're dealing with digital electronics... as long as it has a smooth taper, the rest is up to the software... that being said, physical construction (metal, not plastic crappyness) is always important. If you wanted to use the pots to build a true analog mixer, then yeah... quality all the way since sound is going through them... for us, we're sending 1's and 0's, the arduino reads a pot and gives back a value from 0-1023, nothing more, nothing less... if anything I would say the adc (analog-digital converter) of the atmega chip (or whatever processor is being used) is more important, the higher precision, the better (atmega's use 10bit, others use 12bit or more)..

Gotta.... Stop.... Rambling...

Oh, and it's a touchpad (ripped out of a notebook), NOT a touch screen... though that would be sick
Lewis Stumpf
Yay, Eagle

Looks like you're making good progress mate. Nice to see someone take some stuff out of their head and down on paper.

I'm about hit the hay, so I'll leave the majority of my questions till the morning.

One thing I'd like to know though is, which pots and faders are you using?
I've been shopping around for good quality analog inputs. The only models I can find which looks relatively well made are Bourns, and those I can't buy in quantities under 120+.

I'm very excited about your project. I'll have nothing short of a thousand questions ready for you tomorrow, regarding 40XXN chips, boards and that touch screen.

Keep up the good work
Shay Wyche
Erm.... could someone pick my jaw up from the floor please? Lovely work.

How long has it taken you to this point DJNecro?
Louisa Oberc
Here's the code:

Code:
/*
TODO
Refactor input code turn everthing into functions for easier maintanance and fewer global variables
Add an initial calibration routine to prevent initial flood of midi data on startup
Rebelieve encoder code, it seems to be a little slow
Possible issue with encoder buttons
Implement messages queue'ing system to buffer messages before sending (possible resolution to encoder issue)
*/

//#include <ps2.h>
//#include <Trackpad.h>
#include <WProgram.h>
#include <Midi.h>

#define NUM_POTS 13  
#define NUM_BUTTONS 16
#define BTN_DEBOUNCE 75
#define NUM_ENCODERS 2
#define SMOOTHING 3
#define POT_SELECT_PINS {2,3,4}; //A, B, C on 4051
#define POT_READ_PINS {0,1}
#define MIDI_CHANNEL 1
#define XY_SENSITIVITY 25
#define XY_CC_X 71 // xy pad X CC#
#define XY_CC_Y 70 // xy pad Y CC#
#define XY_NOTE 69 // A-4
#define XY_MIN_X 1320
#define XY_MAX_X 5480
#define XY_MIN_Y 1245
#define XY_MAX_Y 4490
#define XY_CLOCK 18 // Orange Wire
#define XY_LATCH 19 // Blue Wire
#define ENC1_A 8
#define ENC1_B 9
#define ENC2_A 8
#define ENC2_B 9
#define ENC_PORT PINB
#define ENC_MODE_REL 1
#define ENC_MODE_ABS 2
#define ENC_MODE ENC_MODE_REL
#define CW 0b01
#define CCW 0b11
#define CLOCK_4021 7
#define LATCH_4021 6 
#define DATA_4021 5
#define ON 0
#define OFF 1

/* Debug Defines */
#define DEBUG_POT 1
#define DEBUG_BTN 2
#define DEBUG_PAD 4
#define DEBUG_ENC 8
#define DEBUG_ALL 15
#define DEBUG false
#define BENCH false
#define DEBUG_SEL DEBUG_POT
/* Debug Defines */

class MyMidi : public Midi {
  public:
  MyMidi(HardwareSerial &s) : Midi(s) {}
  void handleNoteOn(unsigned int channel, unsigned int note, unsigned int velocity) {
    sendNoteOn(channel, note, velocity);
  }
  void handleNoteOff(unsigned int channel, unsigned int note, unsigned int velocity) {
    sendNoteOff(channel, note, velocity);
  }
  void handleControlChange(unsigned int channel, unsigned int controller, unsigned int value) {
    sendControlChange(channel, controller, value);
  }
};

/* returns byte: bits 1,2 are encoder 1... bits 2,3 are encoder 2... 0b11 is CCW 0b01 is CW */
byte read_two_encoders() {
  int8_t enc_states[] = {0,-1,1,0,1,0,0,-1,-1,0,0,1,0,1,-1,0};
  static uint8_t old_AB1, old_AB2 = 0;
  byte rtn = 0;

old_AB1 <<= 2; //remember previous state
  old_AB1 |= (ENC_PORT & 0b11); //add current state
  old_AB2 <<= 2; //remember previous state
  old_AB2 |= (ENC_PORT & 0b1100) >> 2; //add current state
  rtn |= (enc_states[(old_AB1 & 0b1111)]) & 0b11;
  return rtn | ((enc_states[(old_AB2 & 0b1111)]) & 0b11) << 2;
}

//Trackpad xyPad(XY_CLOCK, XY_LATCH);
MyMidi midi(Serial);
byte potReadPins[] = POT_READ_PINS;
byte potSelectPins[] = POT_SELECT_PINS;
byte buttons1, lastButtons = B11111111; // Default state of buttons
byte buttons2 = B11111111; // Default state of buttons
byte encValues[NUM_ENCODERS] = {1,1}; 
byte prevEncValues[NUM_ENCODERS] = {1,1}; 
byte counter = 0; // for benchmarking
boolean buttonState[NUM_BUTTONS] = {};
boolean lastButtonState[NUM_BUTTONS] = {};
int potValues[NUM_POTS] = {};
int prevPotValues[NUM_POTS] = {};
unsigned int allButtons = 0;
unsigned long lastBtn = 0; // for debouncing buttons
unsigned long current = 0; // for benchmarking
unsigned long running = 0; // for benchmarking
unsigned long benchmarks[4] = {0,0,0,0};

void setup() {
  if (DEBUG||BENCH) Serial.begin(38400);
  else midi.begin(0);
  pinMode(LATCH_4021, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(CLOCK_4021, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(DATA_4021, INPUT);
  pinMode(ENC1_A, INPUT);
  pinMode(ENC1_B, INPUT);
  pinMode(ENC2_A,INPUT);
  pinMode(ENC2_B,INPUT);
  for (byte i=0;i < 3;i++) pinMode(potSelectPins[i], OUTPUT);
  for (byte i=0;i < NUM_POTS;i++) potValues[i] = prevPotValues[i] = 0;
  for (byte i=0;i < NUM_BUTTONS;i++) buttonState[i] = lastButtonState[i] = 1;
  if (DEBUG||BENCH) Serial.println("Begin");
}

void loop() {
  if (BENCH) current = micros();
  midi.poll();
/*--------------|  BUTTONS  |--------------*/
  digitalWrite(LATCH_4021,1);delayMicroseconds(20);digitalWrite(LATCH_4021,0);
  buttons1 = shiftIn(DATA_4021, CLOCK_4021, LSBFIRST);
  buttons2 = shiftIn(DATA_4021, CLOCK_4021, LSBFIRST);
  allButtons = word(buttons1, buttons2);
  if ((allButtons != lastButtons) && (micros() - lastBtn > BTN_DEBOUNCE)) {
    lastBtn = micros();lastButtons = allButtons;
    for (byte i=0;i<NUM_BUTTONS;i++){
      if (!bitRead(allButtons, i)) buttonState[i] = ON;
      else buttonState[i] = OFF;
      if (buttonState[i] != lastButtonState[i]) {
        lastButtonState[i] = buttonState[i];
        if (buttonState[i] == OFF) {
          if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_BTN)) {Serial.print("Button ");Serial.print(i+1,DEC);Serial.println(": OFF");}
          else midi.sendNoteOff(MIDI_CHANNEL, i, 0); // Stop the note
        } else {
          if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_BTN)) {Serial.print("Button ");Serial.print(i+1,DEC);Serial.println(": ON");}
          else midi.sendNoteOn(MIDI_CHANNEL, i, 127); // Send the note
        }
      }
    }
  }
  if (BENCH) {
    benchmarks[0] += micros()-current;
    current = micros();
  }
/*--------------|  BUTTONS  |--------------*/
/*--------------|  POTS  |--------------*/
  byte chipSelect = 0;
  for(int i = 0; i < NUM_POTS; i++) {
    PORTD = (NUM_POTS > 8 && i >= 8) ? (i % 8) << 2 : i << 2; // set pins 2, 3 and 4 to value between 0 (00000) and 7 (11100) to select the pot
    if (i > 0 && (i % 8 == 0)) chipSelect++; // increase chip select index every 8 pots
    potValues[i] = analogRead(potReadPins[chipSelect]);
    if (abs(potValues[i] - prevPotValues[i]) > SMOOTHING) {
      prevPotValues[i] = potValues[i];
      if (!DEBUG) midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL, i, map(potValues[i],5,1020,0,127));
    }
    if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_POT)) {Serial.print(" P");Serial.print(i+1,DEC);Serial.print(":");Serial.print(potValues[i],DEC);}
  }
  if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_POT)) Serial.println();  
  if (BENCH) {
    benchmarks[1] += micros()-current;
    current = micros();
  }
/*--------------|  POTS  |--------------*/
/*--------------|  Encoders  |--------------*/
  static byte encoderCnt = 0;
  byte enc1,enc2,encValue = 0;
  encValue = read_two_encoders();
  if(encValue && (++encoderCnt % 4) == 0) {
    enc1 |= encValue & 0b11;
    if (enc1 == CW) {
      if (ENC_MODE & ENC_MODE_REL) {
        if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_ENC)) Serial.println("ENC1: ->");
        else midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,30,1);
      }
      if (ENC_MODE & ENC_MODE_ABS) {
        encValues[0]++;
        if(encValues[0] >= 127) encValues[0] -= 127;
        midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,40,encValues[0]);
      }
    } else if (enc1 == CCW) {
        if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_ENC)) Serial.println("ENC1: <-");
        else midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,30,127);
      }
        encValues[0]--;
        if(encValues[0] <= 0) encValues[0] += 127;    
        midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,40,encValues[0]);
      }
    }

enc2 |= (encValue >> 2) & 0b11;  
    if (enc2 == CW) {
        if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_ENC)) Serial.println("ENC2: ->");
        else midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,31,1);
      }
        encValues[1]++;
        if(encValues[1] >= 127) encValues[1] -= 127;
        midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,41,encValues[1]);
      }
    } else if (enc2 == CCW) {
        if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_ENC)) Serial.println("ENC2: <-");
        else midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,31,127);
      }
        encValues[1]--;
        if(encValues[1] <= 0) encValues[1] += 127;    
        midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL,41,encValues[1]);
      }
    }
  }
  if (BENCH) {
    benchmarks[3] += micros()-current;
    current = micros();
  }
/*--------------|  Encoders  |--------------*/
///*--------------|  XY Pad  |--------------*/
//  packet_t * packet;
//  packet = xyPad.getNewPacket();
//  static boolean xyOn = false;
//  if (packet->z > XY_SENSITIVITY) {
//    if (!xyOn) {
//      xyOn = true;
//      if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_PAD)) Serial.println("XY Pad ON");
//      else midi.sendNoteOn(MIDI_CHANNEL, XY_NOTE, 127);
//    }
//    if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_PAD)) {
//      Serial.print("X: ");Serial.print(packet->x,DEC);Serial.print(" Y: ");Serial.println(packet->y,DEC);
//    } else {
//      midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL, XY_CC_X, constrain(map(packet->x, XY_MIN_X, XY_MAX_X, 0, 127), 0, 127));
//      midi.sendControlChange(MIDI_CHANNEL, XY_CC_Y, constrain(map(packet->y, XY_MIN_Y, XY_MAX_Y, 0, 127), 0, 127));
//    }
//  } else {
//    if (xyOn) {
//      xyOn = false;
//      if (DEBUG && (DEBUG_SEL & DEBUG_PAD)) Serial.println("XY Pad OFF");
//      else midi.sendNoteOff(MIDI_CHANNEL, XY_NOTE, 0);
//    }
//  }
//  if (BENCH) {
//    benchmarks[2] += micros()-current;
//    current = micros();
//  }
///*--------------|  X/Y Pad  |--------------*/
  if (BENCH) {
    counter++;
    if (counter >= 10) {
      Serial.print("(ms) Btn: ");Serial.print(benchmarks[0]/counter,DEC);
      Serial.print(" Pot: ");Serial.print(benchmarks[1]/counter,DEC);
//      Serial.print(" Pad: ");Serial.print(benchmarks[2]/counter,DEC);
      Serial.print(" Enc: ");Serial.println(benchmarks[3]/counter,DEC);
      counter = benchmarks[0] = benchmarks[1] = benchmarks[2] = benchmarks[3] = 0;
    }
  }
}
Louisa Oberc
Originally Posted by MiL0
that's not hijacking - that's exactly the kind of project that should be posted in this thread!!
Well okay then!

would you be willing to share the code you used
Open Source for the win my friend... the (current) code is in my next post (for the breadboard prototype, the other controllers use code that is pretty much identical). Be aware that while it is working and fairly fast (it checks all inputs and sends midi out in an average of 1.2 milliseconds, or about 50,000 times per second), it is not what I consider good looking code, and will be re-factored and cleaned up quite a bit...

can you give any more details about how its all wired up?
I'll do ya one better, below is an old (but it should work) schematic for a bunch of pots and buttons, it doesnt include the midi-in circuit or the rotary encoder circuit (the touch pad gets wired to +5v, GND and two digital pins).

It's not what is on the breadboard right now, but it is similar.

looks like you've wired up some midi ports?
Yeppers! Midi out is dead simple (once you've figured out that most schematics for midi out shows the connector FROM THE BACK, not the front as most assume).

Midi-In was another matter... there are a number of bad schematics out there, I ended up using a 4N35 optoisolator, with a 270r input resistor (for the input led) and a 1k pull-up for the transistor side. It works great... chained two three controllers together and there was ZERO latency... I'll put up a schematic for it later today.

did you create your own mux shield to get more inputs out of the arduino?
Not really, but I suppose the idea is the same... I am (currently) using 4 IC's to handle the buttons, pots and faders, 2x CD4021 allow 8 DIGITAL inputs each (daisy chain-able, so two gives me 16 inputs using 3 digital pins on the atmega), 2x CD4051 give me 8 ANALOG inputs each to handle the pots and faders... so that's a total of 32 inputs using a total of 8 pins (3 for the 4021's, 3 for both 4051's and 1 analog input for each 4051). I can easily extend that to many many more (adding two more of each would give me 32 buttons and 32 pots/faders), with the only limit being how fast you can deal with the many inputs...

how about some close up shots of the wiring?
Ask and yee shall receive! (see bottom of post)

welcome to the community btw - great first post
Thanks, glad to be here!

If you have any other questions, please just ask away!

Schematic:

Better pic of the prototype:

Wiring:

Midi Out:

Midi In:

Guts of the prototype:

Stock on the front:

Almost stock on the back:

Not so stock on the inside:

Behringer would never do this:

Closeup of DX-500-M guts:

One more closeup:

My custom breadboard arduino:
Arcelia Siebeneck
that's not hijacking - that's exactly the kind of project that should be posted in this thread!!

would you be willing to share the code you used? can you give any more details about how its all wired up? looks like you've wired up some midi ports? did you create your own mux shield to get more inputs out of the arduino? how about some close up shots of the wiring?

welcome to the community btw - great first post
Louisa Oberc
I won't hijack this thread, but I just wanted to say that I am in the process of designing my final prototype controller (having already built and tested 3 different versions of it -- pic below). I have found it to be a very very fun and educational project. I'll likely end up posting my own build log since mine is substantially larger (full 4 channel, i'm only done the basics and i'm up to 64 buttons, 16 pots and 5 faders [4x60mm, 1x100mm]), and I hate hijacking threads, nice job on yours so far though, if you need any assistance let me know

L-R: Behringer DX-500-M (-M for midi ), quick transport test controller i whipped up last evening , code and electronic prototype (used to test code/schematics, and has obviously gone through changes).

Here is the current state of my final prototype.. lots of room for transport/fx/global controls
Joan Kollmorgen
Good Idea Milo.

I'm sure you will get a lot of interest.

Let me know when you get that arduino delevered because I've been believeing of getting the same one myself.
Arcelia Siebeneck
Ordered my Arduino a week ago but still hasn't turned up lol (it's a clone from Hong Kong so delivery is slow).

My ultimate aim is to get some code running that's flexible enough in terms of inputs (analogues/digital/encoders/etc) that the whole DJTT community can download it and use it without too much tweaking. I'm also considering ordering a bunch of Arduino's, pre-programming them and then re-selling on here them so anyone who's scared of programming but good at design/building can get started straight away. (I don't plan on making a profit, just a few quid to cover postage)
Vernie Beharry
Here's 8 analog pots going into a standard Midifighter through a CD4051B multiplexer.
This is near exactly what I've been trying to do. :eek:

. . .I believe I just sharted in my pants a lil!

What's the max of inputs that can be used? Analog? Digital? How many can I add to a MF?

. . .Oh nevermind! . . I'm getting more and more excited and got more and more questions seeing this. . . .
robert chanda
Here's 8 analog pots going into a standard Midifighter through a CD4051B multiplexer.
Better pictures in the Midifighter community .

Arcelia Siebeneck
ah excellent! your code will serve well as the basis for other peoples controllers (if you'd care to share it?)

are the LED's going to be midi activated or activated electronically (when a button is pressed, completing a circuit)
Marlena Mouer
nice one! what kind of controller are you designing? how many analogues/buttons/etc?
Its basically a midifighter (4x4 arcade button grid) with to sliders, a fader, and 2 thumbsticks (from an xbox 360 controller). Just have to get the code finished and the LED backlighting for the top 4 buttons. Im using a Arduino mega for the brain.
Arcelia Siebeneck
nice one! what kind of controller are you designing? how many analogues/buttons/etc?
Marlena Mouer
So I finally got this working in Windows XP (looks to be a workaround for OSX as well). The following steps allow you to pass midi info via USB into your apps utilizing the Roland Serial to MIDI driver. This setup negates the need for an additional app running to convert serial to midi (i was using this program) I pulled the info from here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1161023163

1. Uninstall your FTDI driver (look in the Arduino drivers folder for FTDIUNIN.exe and be sure to run it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode).

2. Download this and replace FTDIPORT.INF in your Arduino drivers folder

3. Plug in your Arduino and reinstall the now modified FTDI driver (direct it to your arduino drivers folder)

4. Download the Roland driver and install it. I unchecked the box that said something about "use multiple drivers" and left it set to COM 3

5. IMPORTANT!! Set your serial.baud rate in your sketch to 31250

6. Make sure your sketch is serial.printing in the appropriate MIDI format (many topics over in arduino community s)

7. Now open your app and direct it to the Roland MIDI IN
Arcelia Siebeneck
Arduino Mux Shield (48 analogue/digital I/O) - http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...m=1248736243/0
Vernie Beharry
Invaluable pieces of information that I could have used MONTHS ago!!! Good work Mil0!

Mods. . .Can we get this Stickied?
Arcelia Siebeneck
nice one chrisw - i'm almost certainly gonna pick up an Arduino in the new year... gonna be quite a steep learning curve but it's worth a shot (considering the price).
Cammy Clegg
Originally Posted by Archies'bald
That look very interesting Chris, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure a lot of people will like the look of that!
archies i also just found this site.

lists all the schematics for console controllers http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wir...PCB_ATTRIBUTES

also the start button and select button are analog too so 2 analog inputs?
Shay Wyche
That look very interesting Chris, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure a lot of people will like the look of that!
Cammy Clegg
milo you seen this? http://www.modk.it/

more user friendly?

http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Labs/MIDIOutput
Arcelia Siebeneck
nice one man

I believe the key for most people is getting the multiplexer working with some decent code that doesn't introduce too much latency. At least 16 analogues would be nice...
Ami Ballow
I built a clone of a midi fighter out of an arduino and the usb to midi hack listed above. It wasn't too hard to pull off. Mine has no LEDs on it though, I ran out of digital pins and didn't want to mess with a multiplexer. I didn't believe to take pics while I was making it, but I should be able to write something up on the process if anyone is interested. The hardware side of it was pretty straightforward. Programing it wasn't too bad, but I had to refer to a lot of example code to get it right.
Shay Wyche
Originally Posted by extraclassic
Good idea Milo - I've been believeing about having a go at an Arduino based project but the programming side puts me off a tad.

That sounds awesome. Lets hope someone fulfills the request

Me too. I'm not even a novice at programming. As I've said before, I don't believe I'm willing to learn a new language just to build a controller, it's just not time/value efficient for me.

If someone was willing to help out the community , then that would be pretty awesome.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy