What ever happened to the disco ball photo contest? Who won the Midi Fighter 3D?

Home :: Q & A :: What ever happened to the disco ball photo contest? Who won the Midi Fighter 3D?Reply
What ever happened to the disco ball photo contest? Who won the Midi Fighter 3D?
Posted on: 13.10.2012 by Dorotha Shubrick
Is it just me or did I never see any announcement about who won the Midi Fighter 3D is this cool contest:
http://www.djranking s.com/2012/08/1...gs-in-dj-sets/

I loved this contest. DJTechTools would not "forget" about this contest so it must be me, right?
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by Pete Bakker
I actually disagree for 2 reasons:
  • There's no such thing as "fair assumption" in competitions. You're either be very specific about the rules, leaving no room for discussions like this topic, or you don't do a competition at all.
  • Nowadays, there'e no such thing as original digital photo contest considering all the modern manipulation tools/possibilities to hack these competitions. So it actually makes sense that people interpretated this thing as:"Who finds the craziest picture on the internet, whatever the source?"
I guess. This shit is obviously serious business to you guys.

I know if I was the guy from DJTT involved with competitions I'd be like "fuck em, I don't need the grief, no more light hearted competitions giving away free shit to members". Bet you won't see many more of this type of competition/giveaway thing happening, for better or worse...
Dorotha Shubrick
Originally Posted by oliosky
I believe its a fair assumption that a competition involving posting up a "crazy" photo of a disco ball would mean that its a photo that you took yourself.

Your argument otherwise is just petty semantics. Scouring google for pictures can be done by a lobotomised blind monkey.
  • There's no such thing as "fair assumption" in competitions. You're either be very specific about the rules, leaving no room for discussions like this topic, or you don't do a competition at all.
  • Nowadays, there'e no such thing as original digital photo contest considering all the modern manipulation tools/possibilities to hack these competitions. So it actually makes sense that people interpretated this thing as:"Who finds the craziest picture on the internet, whatever the source?"
Sharmaine Tramontano
Originally Posted by djspacecamp
...but we felt like it was more appropriate to reward the prize those who captured original photos with their own cameras.
I can't believe you admit it, DJTT actually changed the rules one-sided afterwards. The rules never stated it should be pictures of your own camera and besides that: How could you possibly tell this for sure? Image search is not 100% reliable in that respect.

WE loved all of the pictures that you found and shared, Rolfski, and almost chose you as a winner...
.... You absolutely found the the craziest disco ball photos and shared them
Thanks for the compliment but this is even worse, DJTT actually admits that by the original criteria: craziest picture, someone else should have win this contest.

... before I did a reverse google image search because one of them looked really familiar.
For what it's worth, I did not just do an easy image search for this contest. As I'm running a disco community, I have meticulously collected these pictures over the years.

That being said, the amount of hassle surrounding this is absurd.
You are correct, it shouldn't have been this way. Problem is, DJTT caused it:
  1. Announcing a contest in which you can win serious 250 dollar hardware by just posting a picture, creating excitement among quite a few people.
  2. Not stating any proper rules and deadlines, leaving people guessing on how precisely and when to win
  3. Completely forgetting about it, leaving contesters in the dark for months
  4. Not getting back to us for weeks after multiple requests, creating unnecessary and heated discussions about trust
  5. Changing the rules one-sided afterwards, thereby screwing over contestants in the process
  6. Publicly admitting that by the original rules, someone else in particular should have won. Now DJTT is pin-pointing the contestant that should actually have won, so he knows he got screwed.

To me, this all sounds pretty infuriating. I trust DJTT to not have caused this intentional but wouldn't you feel screwed if this all happened to you?

we expect you to stick to your own words just a few posts up:
DJTT changed the rules afterwards, pointing me the winner by the original rule:
"..show us the craziest photo of a disco ball – but be sure to post it on the DJ Techtools Facebook page wall and tag it!."
Well, there you have it, now I actually do mind losing this contest.
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by Rolfski
Apologies barely accepted. In the end I can't help but feeling bitter about this whole thing:
  • Almost 3 weeks of discussion before DJTT finally responds. This is unacceptable. If you run a website you are expected to read and respond in your own community s regularly. It's called engagement with your audience and you can't leave that up to the mods only.
  • Accusations of trolling and fake ID although in the end I don't blame the mods. They did a great job of taking this up and making DJTT respond.
  • Best picture didn't win and DJTT knows it. This contest was about the craziest picture. Although the FB winner is a cool pic, by no means I would call it the craziest pic compared to the other contesters
  • If my picture would win after all my loud effort to announce a winner it would make them look stupid, would it? So in the end, by keeping the DJTT team sharp and on their toes regarding their responsibilities to their audience, I guess I instantly lost my chance in this contest. It's a bitter price to pay for involvement as a customer but hopefully they learned something of it.
Man there is alot of wah wah in this post :sourgrapes:
Sharmaine Tramontano
Originally Posted by elliot1106
Are you seriously saying that you expected yourself to win in the first place?
Let me put it this way: Which one would you choose as craziest picture? http://www.facebook.com/djranking s/photos
Xavier Ponce
Apologies barely accepted. In the end I can't help but feeling bitter about this whole thing:
  • Best picture didn't win and DJTT knows it. This contest was about the craziest picture. Although the FB winner is a cool pic, by no means I would call it the craziest pic compared to the other contesters
  • If my picture would win after all my loud effort to announce a winner it would make them look stupid, would it? So in the end, by keeping the DJTT team sharp and on their toes regarding their responsibilities to their audience, I guess I instantly lost my chance in this contest. It's a bitter price to pay for involvement as a customer but hopefully they learned something of it.

This is a completely incorrect assumption on your part.

I, on purpose, didn't read this thread at all before stepping in and choosing a winner. WE loved all of the pictures that you found and shared, Rolfski, and almost chose you as a winner before I did a reverse google image search because one of them looked really familiar. You absolutely found the the craziest disco ball photos and shared them, but we felt like it was more appropriate to reward the prize those who captured original photos with their own cameras.

That being said, the amount of hassle surrounding this is absurd. This is a contest to give out some great controllers for free, on a site where we give out massive amounts of knowledge and resources and amazing content for free, and provide a place for a community to grow - for free. Asking about the results and updates? Totally valid. But just as you expect myself and DJTT to stick to our committments and announce a winner, we expect you to stick to your own words just a few posts up:

Btw I don't mind loosing this contest as long as at least a winner gets announced with a proper reasoning behind it.
Tatum Ansaldo
This is just going around in circles. Closing.
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by Pete Bakker
I guess. This shit is obviously serious business to you guys.

I know if I was the guy from DJTT involved with competitions I'd be like "fuck em, I don't need the grief, no more light hearted competitions giving away free shit to members". Bet you won't see many more of this type of competition/giveaway thing happening, for better or worse...
Dorotha Shubrick
Originally Posted by oliosky
I believe its a fair assumption that a competition involving posting up a "crazy" photo of a disco ball would mean that its a photo that you took yourself.

Your argument otherwise is just petty semantics. Scouring google for pictures can be done by a lobotomised blind monkey.
Johnetta Olewine

Sharmaine Tramontano
Just for the record:

If I ever offended someone in this whole discussion, I apologize for that. As Pete mentioned, I realize I can be very persistent (and therefore annoying to others) when I believe injustice is done, which I believe is what happened here.
Btw, not so much the injustice done to me that I feel is the issue here. (At some point, if I would win it, I actually considered giving away this Midi Fighter 3D for free at my community. But with the accusations of this being about self promotion that became a no-go). It's the injustice done to all the other contesters who were not informed about the own camera rules that strikes me most in this contest.

Anyway, I have made my point. There's not much for me to add now.
I feel sorry for the mods to the extend this discussion has become. They've done a great job making the DJTT team aware of this issue. (btw I did contact info@djranking s.com, no reply so far).
Towards the DJTT team I respect their apologies, it takes courage to do that. Unfortunately, they made matters worse to all the contesters by doing so, as it turned out people were misinformed about the rules. Hopefully DJTT can see this mistake sometimes.
Dorotha Shubrick
I know this guy in person. He can be very though to deal with sometimes but by no means is he discrespectful, a troll or out here in this topic for the sake of promoting his own stuff.

Besides that, you have to admit that he does have a point. Changing the rules afterwards is a no-go if you do a contest. They never mentioned that it should be a picture from your own camera.
Random X
Oh and yeah.... According to the 'contest' page:
Upload the best creative photo of a disco ball to Instagram (like the one by @eangolden above)

Ean uploaded one of his own pictures, to his own instagram. If you want to get technical nit picking...

Obvious troll is becoming more apparent. Please stop it, seems like you're not sticking to your word itself:
you must agree that complaining on a community isn't exactly a smart way to promote your thing. Aux contrary, I would argue.

For now enough is enough, any continuation of this discussion on the community s will be dealt with accordingly.
Random X
Why am I not surprised about this.

Rolfski, please pick it up with the HQ team by mail (info at djranking s.com) . This hassle by far exceeds anything you mentioned you would not end up doing.
Sharmaine Tramontano
...but we felt like it was more appropriate to reward the prize those who captured original photos with their own cameras.
I can't believe you admit it, DJTT actually changed the rules one-sided afterwards. The rules never stated it should be pictures of your own camera and besides that: How could you possibly tell this for sure? Image search is not 100% reliable in that respect.

WE loved all of the pictures that you found and shared, Rolfski, and almost chose you as a winner...
.... You absolutely found the the craziest disco ball photos and shared them
Thanks for the compliment but this is even worse, DJTT actually admits that by the original criteria: craziest picture, someone else should have win this contest.

... before I did a reverse google image search because one of them looked really familiar.
For what it's worth, I did not just do an easy image search for this contest. As I'm running a disco community, I have meticulously collected these pictures over the years.

That being said, the amount of hassle surrounding this is absurd.
You are correct, it shouldn't have been this way. Problem is, DJTT caused it:
  1. Announcing a contest in which you can win serious 250 dollar hardware by just posting a picture, creating excitement among quite a few people.
  2. Not stating any proper rules and deadlines, leaving people guessing on how precisely and when to win
  3. Completely forgetting about it, leaving contesters in the dark for months
  4. Not getting back to us for weeks after multiple requests, creating unnecessary and heated discussions about trust
  5. Changing the rules one-sided afterwards, thereby screwing over contestants in the process
  6. Publicly admitting that by the original rules, someone else in particular should have won. Now DJTT is pin-pointing the contestant that should actually have won, so he knows he got screwed.

To me, this all sounds pretty infuriating. I trust DJTT to not have caused this intentional but wouldn't you feel screwed if this all happened to you?

we expect you to stick to your own words just a few posts up:
DJTT changed the rules afterwards, pointing me the winner by the original rule:
"..show us the craziest photo of a disco ball – but be sure to post it on the DJ Techtools Facebook page wall and tag it!."
Well, there you have it, now I actually do mind losing this contest.
Johnetta Olewine
  • Almost 3 weeks of discussion before DJTT finally responds. This is unacceptable. If you run a website you are expected to read and respond in your own community s regularly. It's called engagement with your audience and you can't leave that up to the mods only.
  • Accusations of trolling and fake ID although in the end I don't blame the mods. They did a great job of taking this up and making DJTT respond.
Man there is alot of wah wah in this post :sourgrapes:
Sharmaine Tramontano
Originally Posted by elliot1106
Let me put it this way: Which one would you choose as craziest picture? http://www.facebook.com/djranking s/photos
Xavier Ponce

This is a completely incorrect assumption on your part.

I, on purpose, didn't read this thread at all before stepping in and choosing a winner. WE loved all of the pictures that you found and shared, Rolfski, and almost chose you as a winner before I did a reverse google image search because one of them looked really familiar. You absolutely found the the craziest disco ball photos and shared them, but we felt like it was more appropriate to reward the prize those who captured original photos with their own cameras.

That being said, the amount of hassle surrounding this is absurd. This is a contest to give out some great controllers for free, on a site where we give out massive amounts of knowledge and resources and amazing content for free, and provide a place for a community to grow - for free. Asking about the results and updates? Totally valid. But just as you expect myself and DJTT to stick to our committments and announce a winner, we expect you to stick to your own words just a few posts up:

Btw I don't mind loosing this contest as long as at least a winner gets announced with a proper reasoning behind it.
Linda Chavda
Leeanna Ayla
It's a small staff at the HQ so they can't monitor the community s as much as they might like. It's our jobs as volunteer moderators to keep an eye out for things that might need the direct attention of the staff. Compound all that with people getting sick and others going on vacation and the fact that they're not open seven days a week and sometimes the response might take longer than what has come to be expected in this instant chat, always available type of service we've become accustomed to. Three weeks might be a bit long, but like spacecamp said, efforts have been made to see that this won't happen again.

In the grand scheme of things DJTT is still a fairly new company. When it comes to learning things I believe it goes without saying that new things are learned on a daily basis.
Sharmaine Tramontano
Dorotha Shubrick
Glad it finally got sorted. Clearly, the best pictures didn't win but I guess that was to be expected after all this hassle.

Off topic: Please stop making these "fake ID" accusations if you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a personal friend of Rolfski, enjoying the same music he does for years now. I knew he wanted this solved and I believe he has a point so that's why I brought up the topic.
Xavier Ponce
Just wanted to apologize on behalf of the staff for letting this slip - we didn't (until now) have a policy for contests and making sure someone follows up on them, so this just never happened.

Thanks to everyone for entering.
Leeanna Ayla
Winner announced.

http://www.djranking s.com/2012/10/2...ers-announced/
Sharmaine Tramontano
Glad to hear you're on top of it, much appreciated.

For what it's worth, this whole thing has zero to do with the deep disco community as you must agree that complaining on a community isn't exactly a smart way to promote your thing. Aux contrary, I would argue.

The Midi Fighter 3D is just serious hardware to win in a contest so you can only expect people to put serious time in it and expecting an outcome of the contest.
As said before, I've always been a big supporter of DJTT since the beginning, albeit critical. I even personally defended Ean at turntablism community s where they were trashing him and controllerism. In the end, I assume everything will work out fine with this contest as I hate to loose my trust in these guys because of not keeping their commitments to their audience.

Random X
Hahahahahaha!
Linda Chavda
If this is still open would I have enough time to photography my disco ball collection balanced on funny animal heads?
Random X
It wasn't dutch trash talking Pete. I was just asking if he knew who I contacted. But than again I would not have to tell you as I know you speak dutch as well.

I am not kidding you, as a matter of fact this is the truth. If you find that offensive/ faking... well... I guess it just shows we're human after all.

- "Contests without any rules"; how could that be a contest?
- "Nobody sent in any pictures after two weeks"; surely contest is valid?
- "Later contest", if you look at that last argument you'll just see that that has no clear relation to this supposed contest at all.

This all seems a bit too much of a promotion of your own online Deep Disco community, and I could just call out your public trolling in benefit your own community.

Once again, I'm not trying to be offensive, try not to come across as being offensive towards your arguments.
If any, I'm even trying to take it up for you against the San Fran team. So I will only ask you once to quit the hostility.
Dorotha Shubrick
Originally Posted by tekki
Gozert, met wie denk je dat ik contact had?

The team is still looking who'd ever had thought up that contest.
Still, no end date was mentioned on the discoball contest, so I'm still not seeing why you've gone in such length, or why you're so ticked off in the first place.
I'm not going to pay attention to any Dutch trash talking but in respond to your points:

- "The team is still looking who'd ever had thought up that contest." Are you kidding me? This post was by mr Ean himself. Are you suggesting Ean is faking his audience by having others post for him?
- Contests without clear rules is not an excuse to keep them dragging on. Nobody send in any pictures in after 2 weeks or so. So what's the reasoning behind keeping it open for over 2 months?
- Later contest like this one already got their winners announced. Are you suggesting that judging some disco balls pictures needs way more time?
Random X
Gozert, met wie denk je dat ik contact had?

The team is still looking who'd ever had thought up that contest.
Still, no end date was mentioned on the discoball contest, so I'm still not seeing why you've gone in such length, or why you're so ticked off in the first place.
Sharmaine Tramontano
The San Fran team is trying to find out the same... I guess?
I've lost my patience, I've emailed the DJTT team directly. Hopefully they're kind enough to respond soon with a satisfying answer.
Random X
The San Fran team is trying to find out the same... I guess?
Dorotha Shubrick
These were my entrances to the contest btw, original Facebook competition links included:
Lol about these pics, some of them are quite hilarious. Anyways, any update so far from the DJTT team? What's taking them so long?
Sharmaine Tramontano
These were my entrances to the contest btw, original Facebook competition links included:

"Clubs and venues all over the world spontaneously hang out their disco balls as DJ Tech Tools announces Rolf Ski to be the winner of the Midi Fighter 3D disco ball contest :-)."

"Where's the logic in this DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D competition?"

"This DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D competition can really mess with your head"

"Globetrotting for a DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D"

"Disco ball melting for a DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D"

"Disco ball invasion to conquer the DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D"

"Daddy Darth is gonna watch over your DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D"

"How much disco do you need in your ball to win a DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D?"

"Use the force to get the DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter 3D"
Dorotha Shubrick
Nah, the disco ball thing most probably was just a fun gimmick, as that I cannot see any serious deadline announcement on that.

I have asked the guys at San Fran HQ what was up, but I am still awaiting answer. First few already gotten back to me they did not even know about the existence of that competition.
Fun gimmick or not, if you can win serious hardware with it, it suddenly becomes a real contest that needs some rules and a winner.
Latoria Kavulich
I believe everyone who entered should win a MF3D for the inconvenience
Random X
Nah, the disco ball thing most probably was just a fun gimmick, as that I cannot see any serious deadline announcement on that.

I have asked the guys at San Fran HQ what was up, but I am still awaiting answer. First few already gotten back to me they did not even know about the existence of that competition.
Dorotha Shubrick
Originally Posted by photojojo
Here's the post. I was believeing there was a winner announced, but I may be wrong.

It's the same link I started this thread with. The link we're all really looking for is the one that supposedly announced a winner in this competition.
Leeanna Ayla
Here's the post. I was believeing there was a winner announced, but I may be wrong.

Dorotha Shubrick
You have got a point there BFLY.
Truth is, all people at San Fran HQ and blog contributors have tight schedules DJing. I believe this combined with being enthusiastic about concepts, sometimes brings out ideas on the blog before it has been properly touched down.

Unfortunately creative minds tend to go that way.

(And thanks for liking the community s and mods! )
Great to hear you will take a look into this, heads up to the mods for adressing our issues:-)

When I read about this contest then, I frankly found the rules kinda vague as no end date was announced. But as it is already more then 2 months ago since the contest announcement, I figured they must have declared winners by now.

<< Back to Q & AReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy