Just spit balling here but what if there were a DJTT school...

Home :: Q & A :: Just spit balling here but what if there were a DJTT school...Reply
Just spit balling here but what if there were a DJTT school...
Posted on: 14.09.2013 by Alla Bluemke
I was believeing about this the other day when some people asked me about djing and I just told them to check out the DJTT blog and community s. Then I came to realize that there are a ton of resources online, youtube, djtt, digitaldjtips, but finding the information you want when starting is so cluttered and difficult. If someone were to say I use to dj back in the day on vinyl but have no idea about software and mapping. I really want to learn, of course I would send them here but then what? Tell them to dig around, or search the community and ask? I mean you all know how derailed topics can get on the community . Of course Mad Zach and DJTT staff and contributors really help with tons of great content, but its not organized in any ways. Many times we also assume or readers have all that knowledge built prior with ableton or traktor or whatever. Everyday we get someone on the community asking the easy questions only to get ridiculed off by some not helpful members, or directed in a very aggressive way to the search button. Why not just have a section dedicated to learning?

I guess my thought were say a dedicated tutorial section with staff updates that are categorized with curriculums. It would start out small probably with articles and tutorials already uploaded by staff. Then say there would be additionally courses that would be uploaded by users, and of course ranked. DJTT tutorial might guide say the beat matching section with a simple beat matching video, but then user would upload their tips and tricks. This would go from beginner all the way to advanced or pro fitting neatly into sections. There would even be a buying gear section, hooking it up section, trouble shooting section. Bad content would be down voted until removed, and good content would go up. Eventually it would get into neat tricks and tips that people do with their gear but to start out the basics is needed. Hell it could even go to legit courses held online for medium to advanced learning that could even eventually be paid for courses paying out the instructor and DJTT. This could especially work well for people who can't afford to do dubspot, but just want some instruction on a particular topic.

Anyways thats what I was believeing about last evening , maybe its a bit ambitious but I believe it would help the community grow immensely. Help budding djs learn faster and easier, and also get DJTT huge exposure to the new young audience.
Random X
Originally Posted by dripstep
Tekki, totally understandable, thanks for your ear. We can chat about this next year when it comes up again

Thanks again.

Next year?! I was believeing next month?
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
If DJTT starts a DJ school, I'll give classes on how to either win or bring arguments to a stalemate on internet community s.
i love you.
Margie Pavell
Originally Posted by guiltyblade
This would even help. Perhaps I can do it in a thread that gets stickied. But DJTT ALREADY has a ton of videos with no easy library to even look at this. You have to use the search feature on the blog to find it, and even then you need to know what you are searching for. Sure a community would be nice, then they can ask all the noob questions they want. But that can remain in general for now. I'm talking about ALL the content that DJTT makes should at the very least be archived, categorized, and easily accessible. A sticky is I suppose the bare minimum, but it should be its own section on DJTT to be honest.

If you look under the blog tab it is there hidden under the stuff, but the post aren't even categorized well or easily visible. It really needs to be expanded upon much more.

I would hope ultimately it could turn into the same community as the midimaps with content and voting.
a sticky can't be organized like a sub community with multiple stickies and threads...

this has me motivated to make a video tutorial about something...
Alla Bluemke
Originally Posted by keithace
I believe it should be nothing but video tutorials and articles to read. With ONE heavily moderated questions only sub community .
This would even help. Perhaps I can do it in a thread that gets stickied. But DJTT ALREADY has a ton of videos with no easy library to even look at this. You have to use the search feature on the blog to find it, and even then you need to know what you are searching for. Sure a community would be nice, then they can ask all the noob questions they want. But that can remain in general for now. I'm talking about ALL the content that DJTT makes should at the very least be archived, categorized, and easily accessible. A sticky is I suppose the bare minimum, but it should be its own section on DJTT to be honest.

If you look under the blog tab it is there hidden under the stuff, but the post aren't even categorized well or easily visible. It really needs to be expanded upon much more.

I would hope ultimately it could turn into the same community as the midimaps with content and voting.
Random X
That's a real shame. I believe a beginners community would stop some of the flame wars and ass hole comments that pop up when somebody new wants an answer. With a beginner community , it might be easier for a newb to find the answer to his "what controller should I buy" if there was a quick and easy place to check.
Newbs will just post their question, be it on a newb or non newb community .
I have even found these things in the strangest community s, e.g. 'Site Question and Feedback'. They will be posting cause "it is quicker to post, than to search".

There doesn't need to be a lot of regulars attention to the community either, only those that are wanting to help out. I've seen threads past in regards to a beginners community , and as you said tekki, it always ends up with keeping it the way it is. Maybe the fact that it keeps coming up should be an indicator that it's wanted by the community. It would sure keep general discussion cleaner than it is now.
Sorry I don't see the need to create it increase. People sometimes have great difficulty finding the proper community to post to already, so we don't want to make it even more difficult.

Either way, the you mods do a good job here, and the community's is generally helpful, I just believe it would help out some.

/rant.
Thanks and even though I am not agreeing with you on this one, your feedback is much appreciated!
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by tekki
This remark is spot on.

And it is what usually comes back every cycle of time. (Average of 2 to 3 years)

We have been talking about it behind the scenes every now and then, but we always come to the conclusion that we will try to make do with the way the community is now.
To be honest, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

There are a LOT of "experienced" members (ie, those with the post counts in the hundreds or thousands) who don't tend to actually help people at all, just give their own extreme opinions without taking into consideration what the OP of a topic actually WANTS. Personally, I quite like helping beginners but the way things are at the moment, with everyone asking for help in general which is where EVERYONE spends most of their time, it's basically like pissing into the wind.
Random X
Originally Posted by dayvue
Problem with beginner/learning community s is that the traffic from experienced members is usually pretty low. Just something to consider.
This remark is spot on.

And it is what usually comes back every cycle of time. (Average of 2 to 3 years)

We have been talking about it behind the scenes every now and then, but we always come to the conclusion that we will try to make do with the way the community is now.
Doreen Schurle
Problem with beginner/learning community s is that the traffic from experienced members is usually pretty low. Just something to consider.
I'd rock that shit all day long. And moderate it too.
Yong Aptekar
Could be next week
Random X
Tekki, totally understandable, thanks for your ear. We can chat about this next year when it comes up again

Thanks again.

Next year?! I was believeing next month?
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
If DJTT starts a DJ school, I'll give classes on how to either win or bring arguments to a stalemate on internet community s.
i love you.
Margie Pavell
Originally Posted by guiltyblade

a sticky can't be organized like a sub community with multiple stickies and threads...

this has me motivated to make a video tutorial about something...
Alla Bluemke
Originally Posted by keithace
I believe it should be nothing but video tutorials and articles to read. With ONE heavily moderated questions only sub community .

Yong Aptekar

Thanks again.
Olimpia Briden
As a new community user I feel I'm in a unique position to give a perspective here and now, it's quite difficult to just follow threads on the community s, there are a lot of dead links to community posts in the older posts, the posts exist just the numbers are wrong, and only really helpful if the post title was posted along with the link so you've got something to search for.

I'm sure there is a load more good information on here but who wants to trawl through dead links and the search facility to find the information they need?

clearly me :-D But how many others will just ask the same questions in a new post?
Random X
That's a real shame. I believe a beginners community would stop some of the flame wars and ass hole comments that pop up when somebody new wants an answer. With a beginner community , it might be easier for a newb to find the answer to his "what controller should I buy" if there was a quick and easy place to check.
Newbs will just post their question, be it on a newb or non newb community .
I have even found these things in the strangest community s, e.g. 'Site Question and Feedback'. They will be posting cause "it is quicker to post, than to search".

There doesn't need to be a lot of regulars attention to the community either, only those that are wanting to help out. I've seen threads past in regards to a beginners community , and as you said tekki, it always ends up with keeping it the way it is. Maybe the fact that it keeps coming up should be an indicator that it's wanted by the community. It would sure keep general discussion cleaner than it is now.
Sorry I don't see the need to create it increase. People sometimes have great difficulty finding the proper community to post to already, so we don't want to make it even more difficult.

Either way, the you mods do a good job here, and the community's is generally helpful, I just believe it would help out some.

/rant.
Thanks and even though I am not agreeing with you on this one, your feedback is much appreciated!
Margie Pavell
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by tekki
This remark is spot on.

To be honest, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

There are a LOT of "experienced" members (ie, those with the post counts in the hundreds or thousands) who don't tend to actually help people at all, just give their own extreme opinions without taking into consideration what the OP of a topic actually WANTS. Personally, I quite like helping beginners but the way things are at the moment, with everyone asking for help in general which is where EVERYONE spends most of their time, it's basically like pissing into the wind.
Olimpia Briden
You'll always find the best and the worst kinds of people on community s, however, making a community would be good where noobs can feel somewhat insulated from the polarised battle lines that await us all once we've gained a clue or 2.

That way, those that want to help can, those that want to be difficult can be removed and the community looks like an inviting place. you already have a collection of videos that djtt/ean/mad zach have done, expand on those, fill the top 1/2 of the community with stickies explaining what's going on in the videos to pre-empt most of the FAQ stuff and let the community build itself. You never know, encouraging people to get on with their hobby might just spawn a community of people that are just happy to help each other and the community becomes self sustaining.
Vernie Kuam
I don't know if y'all are big on Reddit, but the responses in r/djs vs r/beatmatch is pretty telling IMO. On the other hand, the community here at DJTT is better, so that may make a difference.
Yong Aptekar

/rant.
Random X
This remark is spot on.

Valeri Holderness
Qbert offers really affordable and solid turntablism classes, it would be cool to have something like that for controllerism offered through djtt
Brunilda Kora
You know what they say, those that can, do. Those that can't, teach...

...I'm much better at teaching DJ'ing than actually Dj'ing...
Lannie Kutay
I have been looking for a reason to make more Instructional videos. This would be perfect.
Cassie Sangermano
Same, always willing to help new/inexperienced members!!
Doreen Schurle
I'd rock that shit all day long. And moderate it too.
Vernie Kuam
Yong Aptekar
Mods, who do we talk to about adding another section to the community ? PM? I have ideas lol
Samuel Stamaria
Here's a better idea, what if DJTT with their new place and all was to have small jam sessions etc. Then possibly branch out into clubs/take over one.

Similar to Low End Theory
Yong Aptekar
Probably the latter though
Doreen Schurle
Ervin Calvery
How about just a community called "learning"
Highly moderated, only help, no bullshit.
Any beginners can post there without being lit up by the few trolls around
Stupid questions allowed. What should I get?

This makes the community very conducive to beginners learning, and keeps all of the overly newb questions off of general discussion.
This is a good idea. Didn't gearslutz do this?
Yong Aptekar
How about just a community called "learning"
Highly moderated, only help, no bullshit.
Any beginners can post there without being lit up by the few trolls around
Stupid questions allowed. What should I get?

This makes the community very conducive to beginners learning, and keeps all of the overly newb questions off of general discussion.
Olimpia Briden
It sounds like a good idea, I used to dj with vinyl about 10 years ago, then life got in the way, sold all my gear etc. and then a couple of weeks ago bought a numark mixtrack pro II, I found that mixing is still the same as it ever was, except its a bit easier now if you want to use sync etc. and I've done enough audio production and midi with cubase etc. that mashing buttons in time with a beat is nothing new :-)

I was talking to my son earlier who is keen to learn but said that amount of buttons and controls is a bit overwhelming to start off with, he'll be fine once we've had a few sessions but it would be better if he could pick this up from videos. I believe the main issue either of us will have is to decide which software is suitable for our musical tastes and mixing styles. I'm keen to learn how to use a midi fighter, I'm quite struck with stuff like araabmuzik and really like the random musical styles that I've seen in Ean's videos, so these are the kinds of issues that fighter/digital dj noobs are going to need resolved.

I believe the idea of a seperate locked area with just the 'school' stuff in it is a good idea, backed up with a sub-community for people posting videos etc. but it would also need organising, would djtt host the videos via youtube? you don't want content disappearing, I've noticed that's quite a problem on the community s as it is, lots of dead links to old posts which I'm guessing got lost in a migration.
Ervin Calvery
There's MacProVideo, Pyramind, Point Blank, and others which have Traktor and Ableton content for much cheaper than Dubspot.
Margie Pavell
maybe an introduction "area" where there are tutorials and videos? A collection of all the stuff to help you get started so you don't have to wade through all the junk and bad advice?

<< Back to Q & AReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy