Any sushi lovers around?

Any sushi lovers around?
Posted on: 01.07.2013 by Dannie Dimora
I could literally live of sushi.. day and evening ..
The only problem is... that the nearest restaurant is about 200km from me.

Solution?
Do it myself! 5 years of practice cooking japanese foods, incl. sushi, are showing the results :P

here's a pic of what i did a year or so ago for a friend's birthday party

Shoo, any other sushi/japanese cuisine lovers out there?
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by farhanashraf
video:
NOPE.avi
Izola Larose
place turns into a club lounge at evening :

hay bar tender i want that bottle of sake bottle WAYYYYYYY up there *points to top of tower o' sake*
Ninfa Larranaga
Originally Posted by Polygon
Eye/mouthgasm... damn. WANT

Dia Laryea
I mean these knives are so sharp you don't even need a damn mixer for cutting!
word dude you're a funny guy
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by MaxOne
Fuck... now i've got sushi knife RGAS
Sell yout 1200s. Who needs japanese factory-made TTs when you have handmade japanese knives at home?

Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Danek
This community is now officially a Sushi community .
Well why the hell not
Dannie Dimora
sushi and sheesha. oh yes

Ninfa Larranaga
last evening :

Dannie Dunnells
Yes I am sushi lover. I love listening to some great music. I am loving here to share my views on music and other entertainment sources.
Dannie Dimora
video:
NOPE.avi
Ninfa Larranaga
video:
Izola Larose

hay bar tender i want that bottle of sake bottle WAYYYYYYY up there *points to top of tower o' sake*
Ninfa Larranaga

Dia Laryea
word dude you're a funny guy
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by MaxOne
Sell yout 1200s. Who needs japanese factory-made TTs when you have handmade japanese knives at home?

Hipolito Scionti
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Danek
Well why the hell not
Dannie Dimora

Ninfa Larranaga
this is the sushi buffet i was at:

Dia Laryea
Brunilda Kora
^^^Now THAT is livin'.
Ninfa Larranaga

Yong Aptekar
I've got sharp knives, but my brother let me use his Japanese made chefs knife, and oh what a difference it made!
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by typeomega
a sharp knife is the best way to get good sushi cuts. before i had a good set though there where a few tricks i found to getting good cuts the main one is to get a tall glass of water and dip the knife in it between each cut, keeping the knife wet keeps the blade from sticking. the second tip is to make a very short sawing motion when making the cut, with a good sharp knife i wouldn't do this just because only one to two knife strokes are used to make a cut but if you using a knife that cost less than $100 using those methods can make your sushi look much nicer.
Yes. Dipping the tip in water is a very good method of not making your knife stick.
BUT, never dip the whole thing. Then your sushi will be the soggiest mess on the planet :P
Izola Larose
a sharp knife is the best way to get good sushi cuts. before i had a good set though there where a few tricks i found to getting good cuts the main one is to get a tall glass of water and dip the knife in it between each cut, keeping the knife wet keeps the blade from sticking. the second tip is to make a very short sawing motion when making the cut, with a good sharp knife i wouldn't do this just because only one to two knife strokes are used to make a cut but if you using a knife that cost less than $100 using those methods can make your sushi look much nicer.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by dripstep
Love sushi, fun to make. I can't do those quartered rolls you do. I know how, just can't get them looking right.
One thing you need. A very very very very sharp knife. I currently use a konosuke HD Kiritsuke 24cm knife that the owner of a restaurant i used to go to a lot when i still lived in italy gave me when he moved back to korea. A good knife is extremely important for good results.
Yong Aptekar
Love sushi, fun to make. I can't do those quartered rolls you do. I know how, just can't get them looking right.
Dannie Dimora
i live in WA state on the coast so fresh fish is a daily thing around here if you go down to the peer. rice vinegar is only like 2 bucks a bottle here too. sorry to here about your areas prices on fresh ingredients. as far as restaurant sushi gos there i dont eat sushi at to many places but there is actually a all you can eat buffet like 10 min form my house that has some of the best sushi around and there lunch special is 7.99 a person so i go in and eat like 3 plates on my lunch brake at work. they also make mushroom chicken in clam sauce, tempura frog legs and crab rangoon.
Wait brb just checking on your ip so i can come there and kill you because you made me so hungry right now>.<
Izola Larose
i live in WA state on the coast so fresh fish is a daily thing around here if you go down to the peer. rice vinegar is only like 2 bucks a bottle here too. sorry to here about your areas prices on fresh ingredients. as far as restaurant sushi gos there i dont eat sushi at to many places but there is actually a all you can eat buffet like 10 min form my house that has some of the best sushi around and there lunch special is 7.99 a person so i go in and eat like 3 plates on my lunch brake at work. they also make mushroom chicken in clam sauce, tempura frog legs and crab rangoon.

maggi sauce > soy sauce

all the wasabi here is green dyed horse reddish (soooo lame)
Dannie Dimora
IMG_20121205_230935.jpg

love making sushi, i dont know why people believe its so expensive. the most expensive part is hunting down short grain rice, and thats mostly because instead of finding a asian market and buying a huge bag of it for 12 bucks people go to the supermarket and buy a small plastic bottle of it at a 300% mark up because it says "sushi rice" on it. just hit the farmers market for some veggies and find a trustworthy fish monger. i always end up making about a weeks worth for around 20 to 30 bucks
I was talking about restaurants.

But anyways, i don't know where you live, but where i do fish is only delivered once a week, and when it's fresh its price is marked up so high that i usually spend around 10-12€ for something like 500-600g of salmon (with skin of course).

Rice is nowhere as expensive, but i'm only content with real japonica short-grain rice, which is not cheap at all. I'm also the only one who eats sushi at home so bulk ordering a big bag of it would be a waste.

Or sushi-su (the rice condiment), for example , costs about 8€ per bottle. Now you may tell me to buy half a liter. Problem is i've never found anything below 1.5l, which is definitely too much for me.

Or good soy sauce

Or good wasabi for that matter..

Or good ginger. Fortunately we have our own ginger roots to make fresh pickled slices of :P
Izola Larose
IMG_20121205_230935.jpg

love making sushi, i dont know why people believe its so expensive. the most expensive part is hunting down short grain rice, and thats mostly because instead of finding a asian market and buying a huge bag of it for 12 bucks people go to the supermarket and buy a small plastic bottle of it at a 300% mark up because it says "sushi rice" on it. just hit the farmers market for some veggies and find a trustworthy fish monger. i always end up making about a weeks worth for around 20 to 30 bucks
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude
That looks oddly delicious.
that's because it is :P
Marcelina Hanaway
That looks oddly delicious.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude
Bless you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unadon
Marcelina Hanaway
unadon/hitsumabushi
Bless you.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Tempura sushi is da bomb. Esp with eel sauce or a little bit of honey. And spicy mayo...
Eel sushi with eel sauce is what i'd eat every single friggin day of my life. For realsies.
This and unadon/hitsumabushi
Gaynell Rydberg
Tempura sushi is da bomb. Esp with eel sauce or a little bit of honey. And spicy mayo...
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by DarioJ
Guilty. I could live off sushi no problem!

Couple rolls, a bottle off warm saki (shots), and an ice cold Sapporo (or ashai) to wash it down.... Golden!
I really can see myself just living off sushi.. No joke. Shame it's so expensive over here..

Originally Posted by Patch
I'm not even that bothered about the rolls. Just give me a pile of Sashimi with some wasabi and soy and I'm good...

Couple bottles of Asahi for good measure.
I would get tired of sashimi and soy.. If you gave me some sweet teriyaki to dip it in, then i'd say hell yeah!
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Kwal
Texture of it gets me, my body shuts down all types of seafood, cooked or raw lol.
Shame.. seafood is great :P

Even so, sushi is anything made with sushi rice.. That's the texture you hate? Ever tried vegetarian sushi if you just hate the fish?
Brunilda Kora
I'm not even that bothered about the rolls. Just give me a pile of Sashimi with some wasabi and soy and I'm good...

Couple bottles of Asahi for good measure.

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy