Saved up some cash, what do I buy?

Home :: General Discussion :: Saved up some cash, what do I buy?Reply
Saved up some cash, what do I buy?
Posted on: 21.12.2013 by Brant Eschman
Hi guys, I saves up some cash since I bought my DDJ-SX a while back. Here are a list of things that I thought of buying (only have the money to buy 1 item on the list):

1. Pio SDJ-60X's or KRK rokit 6's
2. RMX 1000
3. Denon SC2900

They all have their advantages, the SDJ-60X's or KRK's for better sound and a maybe a motivation to get into some music production? But above all the sound. The RMX 1000 for extra effects and 1 denon sc2900 to go along with my DDJ-SX to get more familiar with CDJ's.

Any insights or advice on this one?

Wout
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by makar1
Making sudden changes to a track's metadata can cause it to skip. Since you won't be doing this while mixing, it won't affect your beatmatching.
I know, but I stop the tracks to change the BPM, and the drifting is progressive, like it would be when the tracks have a little difference in BPM.
Vikki Falkenrath
Tried a 173 and 174 both pitch shifted, then beatmatched. Changing one BPM to 300 did not cause any drifting and had no effect on playback.
So we have different traktors hahaha I don't know man
Vikki Falkenrath
I started off with two tracks at 174.000, then shifted them both by 3.4% and beatmatched them manually.

Changing one track to 200BPM while leaving the other at 174 (shifted to 168.13) did not cause any drift whatsoever.
Ok, I tried this thing you did and they don't drift, but try using tracks with different BPMs.

I said track A 125.000 and track B 128.000 because with +2,4% on the A track it will be exacly with the same BPM of the B track.

Which means they should never drift when played together and A with +2,4%. But they do if you change track A's BPM.
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by cheef
Are they any good?

;-)
Most of them are actually, I really believe that if you play good tracks, well syncd it doesn't matter if you use softwares or not.

We play for the crowd, and the crowd reactiong is what counts right?

I've seen guys using softwares and getting the tracks drifting ridiculously hehehe The final result is what counts for me
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by Daniboy
Well, its drifting for me, its not drifting like it really was 128.96, which would be an instant drift, but after 15-30 seconds it starts drifting, like it was some kind of 128.1, when the tracks actually shouldn't drift even if played for a very long time
I started off with two tracks at 174.000, then shifted them both by 3.4% and beatmatched them manually.

Changing one track to 200BPM while leaving the other at 174 (shifted to 168.13) did not cause any drift whatsoever.
Augustine Mitzen
i don't even know what i'm reading here.
Brant Eschman
Wow this thing really went off topic haha, no prob. Thanks for the advice guys, seems like speakers were the most advised thing
Kristofer Krauel
OP - buy some speakers

Daniboy - you make beatmatching on CDJ's sound like some sort of Holy Grail. When in actual fact its just like beatmatching on amy other controller or piece of software. Beatmatching is beatmatching. it may take a few seconds to adjust to the sensitivity of the gear being used but fundamentally 'matching beats' is a principle that can be learned in Traktor and transferred to CDJs with relative ease.
Lakeesha Storman
OP, get monitors.
Vikki Falkenrath
Making sudden changes to a track's metadata can cause it to skip. Since you won't be doing this while mixing, it won't affect your beatmatching.
I know, but I stop the tracks to change the BPM, and the drifting is progressive, like it would be when the tracks have a little difference in BPM.
Alphonso Deitchman
Vikki Falkenrath
Tried a 173 and 174 both pitch shifted, then beatmatched. Changing one BPM to 300 did not cause any drifting and had no effect on playback.
So we have different traktors hahaha I don't know man
Alphonso Deitchman
Vikki Falkenrath

Ok, I tried this thing you did and they don't drift, but try using tracks with different BPMs.

I said track A 125.000 and track B 128.000 because with +2,4% on the A track it will be exacly with the same BPM of the B track.

Which means they should never drift when played together and A with +2,4%. But they do if you change track A's BPM.
Vikki Falkenrath
Are they any good?

;-)
Most of them are actually, I really believe that if you play good tracks, well syncd it doesn't matter if you use softwares or not.

We play for the crowd, and the crowd reactiong is what counts right?

I've seen guys using softwares and getting the tracks drifting ridiculously hehehe The final result is what counts for me
Alphonso Deitchman
Well, its drifting for me, its not drifting like it really was 128.96, which would be an instant drift, but after 15-30 seconds it starts drifting, like it was some kind of 128.1, when the tracks actually shouldn't drift even if played for a very long time

Vikki Falkenrath
Just tried this with two tracks, initially beatmatched. Dragging one track down by 10 BPM did not make it drift.
Hulda Ramprasad
Congratulations, I know a lot of people who play with traktor who will shit their pants to play on CDJs without a software on a evening club.
Are they any good?

;-)
Alphonso Deitchman
Maybe thats why you are having a different result than me.
Don't use a metronome and use another track on the on deck B, one that you know is 128.000 and try to make them play together while you change the BPM of track A to whatever different from 125.000.. you will realise they drift, even if the track A is originally 125.000 BPM and you aply +2,4% to it.
Just tried this with two tracks, initially beatmatched (and pitch shifted). Dragging one track down by 10 BPM did not make it drift.
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by 3heads
If you have sync switched on, they will obviously drift. If you don't, they won't
sync is switched off, I'm doing it right now

someone please do what I'm asking, it very unlikely that my traktor works different from yours..
Celestine Porebski
Don't use a metronome and use another track on the on deck B, one that you know is 128.000 and try to make them play together while you change the BPM of track A to whatever different from 125.000.. you will realise they drift, even if the track A is originally 125.000 BPM and you aply +2,4% to it.
If you have sync switched on, they will obviously drift. If you don't, they won't
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by DubluW
Is still don't get how learning beatmatching on Traktor makes any difference. I learnt on an S4 with traktor and the skill set was instantly transferable to CDJ's. And moving from CDJ's to Turntables wasn't a mindmelting experience.
Congratulations, I know a lot of people who play with traktor who will shit their pants to play on CDJs without a software on a evening club.
Vikki Falkenrath
The way you say it works and the way I say it works is exactly the same. You are not arguing against me, only stating the same thing a different way.

You can turn the metronome of the track on and put on a 5% pitch shift to a track. Changing the BPM manually will of course affect the metronome, but have no effect on the audio track itself, which will still be pitch shifted by the same amount.
Lillia Datson
Is still don't get how learning beatmatching on Traktor makes any difference. I learnt on an S4 with traktor and the skill set was instantly transferable to CDJ's. And moving from CDJ's to Turntables wasn't a mindmelting experience.
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by Jester
I would get some decent speakers next mate.
^you guys, stop being dicks.
haha sorry man
Alphonso Deitchman
The way you say it works and the way I say it works is exactly the same. You are not arguing against me, only stating the same thing a different way.

You can turn the metronome of the track on and put on a 5% pitch shift to a track. Changing the BPM manually will of course affect the metronome, but have no effect on the audio track itself, which will still be pitch shifted by the same amount.
Latoria Kavulich
I would get some decent speakers next mate.
^you guys, stop being dicks.
Vikki Falkenrath
I've already tested it. There is no change in audio pitch when modifying Traktor's BPM value, like I've explained twice before already.
Well I don't know what traktor you are using, but in this version of traktor that I use (the last one) and all the other versions I have played it works like the way I said.

If you made a video of you testing it would be great.
Alphonso Deitchman
I've already tested it. There is no change in audio pitch when modifying Traktor's BPM value, like I've explained twice before already.
Vikki Falkenrath
Grid and BPM data is irrelevant. Traktor will apply the % pitch shift to the audio independantly of the BPM number onscreen.

There is no "absolute BPM". There is audio, which Traktor applies a % shift to directly, exactly like a CDJ.
You are wrong, do the test I said please
Alphonso Deitchman
Grid and BPM data is irrelevant. Traktor will apply the % pitch shift to the audio independantly of the BPM number onscreen.

There is no "absolute BPM". There is audio, which Traktor applies a % shift to directly, exactly like a CDJ.

If you actually listen to a pitch shifted track like I suggested, you will hear no difference in the sound even when massively changing the BPM value for the grid.
Vikki Falkenrath
BPM analysis has no effect on pitch shifting. Traktor will apply the same % shift to the audio regardless of what you do to the grid.
So I invite you to go to traktor and test it.
Get a 125.000 BPM track and analyse it. It will show you 125.000.
Now use the pitch fader to raise +2,4%... that will result exacly 128.000 bpm, cause thats simple math.
Now go to the "GRID" option below the track and change its BPM to what ever you want, lets say... 126.000 bpm.
Now the +2,4% will make it go 128.96 BPM.

Proving that it does not change the absolute bpm.

You can use an argument that the BPM shown is 128,96 but the absolute BPM is 128.000, but its not, cause a 128.000 will drift when played together.
Alphonso Deitchman
Firstly traktor doesn't have 0,02% precision on pitch faders, you can only see changes of 0,1%, which for precise beatmaching are huge.
What I said is that traktor uses the BPM it analysed or the one you written there, so, if it analyses wrong or you write something wrong the percentage will be based on a wrong BPM.
Traktor does not change in units of 0.1%. It is as precise as your controller allows.

BPM analysis has no effect on pitch shifting. Traktor will apply the same % shift to the audio regardless of what you do to the grid.

You can test this yourself by turning off Keylock and applying a significant pitch shift to a track (say 5%). Input a random BPM into Traktor's manual grid setting that is way off, and you'll hear no difference in pitch.
Nikole Resende
Beatmatching on Traktor is EXACTLY the same as beatmatching on CDJs! If you turn off any help in Traktor (BPM read outs, phase meter), it might actually be even harder, since CDJs always shows you the BPM.

So if anybody wants to learn beatmatching with tractor, using the jogwheel and pitch-fader of his controller: relax. You'll be perfectly fine if you ever need to play on CDJs. There may be some differences in handling between CDJs and a controller with Traktor, but nothing you won't be able to handle.
Hulda Ramprasad
You've really contradicted yourself there, Daniboy.

Who cares about CDJ or software accuracy, when it's your ears that tell you if you've beatmatched correctly in the first place? Your argument is flawed.
Vikki Falkenrath
Traktor applies a constant % pitch shift in exactly the same way CDJs do. The BPM value only affects the grid, and grid based features like sync.
Firstly traktor doesn't have 0,02% precision on pitch faders, you can only see changes of 0,1%, which for precise beatmaching are huge.
What I said is that traktor uses the BPM it analysed or the one you written there, so, if it analyses wrong or you write something wrong the percentage will be based on a wrong BPM.

On CDJs don't matter what BPM the cdj shows, the percentage is aplyed to tracks absolute BPM, so if its 125.875 BPM and it shows you its 126, the percentage is over 125.875.

Also, the Phase meter helps way too much. Using CDJs you have only your ears to tell you if the track is faster or slower than the other.
Hulda Ramprasad
You can learn to beatmatch on traktor, but in my opinion it wont be useful as a DJ techinque, because he wont be able to beatmatch on CDJs or vinyls
Traktor can give you the false feeling that you are ready to get your hands on some cdj and start beatmatching, which is not true.

IMO.
Have you actually used Traktor? I use Traktor in HID with Pioneer 2k nxs CDJ's - are you telling me that those with the same set-up can't learn how to beatmatch?
Alphonso Deitchman
The only differences when using Traktor vs CDJs/turntables are the visual aids. If you don't use them, there is no difference.
Vikki Falkenrath
Differences, yes.

But to say you can't learn to beatmatch on Traktor, or any other relevant software, is a tad naive.
You can learn to beatmatch on traktor, but in my opinion it wont be useful as a DJ techinque, because he wont be able to beatmatch on CDJs or vinyls
Traktor can give you the false feeling that you are ready to get your hands on some cdj and start beatmatching, which is not true.

IMO.
Alphonso Deitchman
Traktor's pitch faders work based on the bpm traktor analysed or the one you typed there, which is different from the cdj that simply imputs a percentage on the track, even not knowing exacly what is the real bpm.
Traktor applies a constant % pitch shift in exactly the same way CDJs do. The BPM value only affects the grid, and grid based features like sync.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy