New MidiFighters

New MidiFighters
Posted on: 30.04.2011 by Gloria Lemmel
So after reading the most recent blog post and watching the video, I'm really interested in these new Midi Fighters. I'm not going to lie, when I first saw the title, I got fairly upset because I had thought that the original Midi Fighter was getting replaced, in which case the $200 investment that I made a month ago would be out of date soon, but looking at these new standardized decked out MFs I'm excited to see what they can bring to the table. As soon as they come out I'm expecting a huge amount of reviews, so I'm excited about that. In terms of looks I really like the original 4x4 grid look, and hope that the original Midi Fighter isn't phased out after major production of these units comes, so if one of you DJTT guys is reading this, KEEP THE OLD MFs AVAILABLE!!!!

Overall this blog post left me craving more information, and I hope it will come sooner than expected, but one thing that I thought was missing was new functionality. Just something more than the old MF can provide. I understand that the faders and knobs are a good addition, but what can the new MF provide me that I couldn't get from my old MF. That's really the question floating in my brain. I'm still extremely excited to see the full announcement next week, and will be sure to stay posted. If you guys have any thoughts on these new MFs be sure to let us all know, because I bet we're all just as interested as you are in this topic.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Products being shipped without mappings...?
Most controllers come with shitty mappings to be fair, at least this one has a couple that are useable.
Bradford Grafer
Originally Posted by dylooooon
$250 [ . . . ] I mean that's one kids entire birthday/nondenominational holiday.
Randal Biza
Originally Posted by midifidler
O and to clarify for those asking - yes the XX Fader and the Cue Master are the same hardware, with unique firmware for each configuration.

This firmware will be made available so you will have the option of changing you model as you see fit.
This is awesome.
Kindra Brawand
Originally Posted by Electrosaurus
Amen to that!

Personally I believe the most imprtant issue right now is just how long it will take my MFPro to get to me in Australia!
Seconded. But to me in the UK. I hope it doesn't take as long as my MF did.. That drove me crazy..
Antony Cavoto
We don't have to fight to defend our gear , we could just enjoy whatever we want to enjoy and let others do whatever they want. Yer?
Amen to that!

Personally I believe the most imprtant issue right now is just how long it will take my MFPro to get to me in Australia!
Ethel Saracco
@ Skerrplunk
Can you post a picture or video to clarify what you are talking about?
Merry Piesik
So I now have a beat masher and a cue master. I got them yesterday. The cue master looks just like I designed it, but the beat masher doesn't.

Basically I had 4 diff. colors in columns. The colors are backwards. No biggie at all, I can fix that.

My question though is that from the limited amount I've read about midi fighters (the pro's are my first) it looks like the menu button is always in the top left.

When I plug the cue master in, the top left arcade button lights up blue. When I plug the beat masher in, the bottom right lights up blue.

Obviously if I turn it the other way, the top left is then lit up (my color scheme is then correct as well). The problem is that the faders are then closest towards you which is not the orientation when you design it or in the videos.

Once again, I don't know much about how these are made yet. Is there a chance the whole thing was wired backwards or something? I really want to use it in the orientation I've seen (faders furthest away from you).

What should I do?
Lorelei Przybylowicz
The new controllers can still use all the current MF Classic mappings
Tatum Ansaldo
Most controllers come with shitty mappings to be fair, at least this one has a couple that are useable.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Ethel Saracco
You should be able to use any of the existing MF Classic mappings for now, but the faders, knobs and square buttons won't do anything.

Check out the MF Mappings sticky thread.
Merry Piesik
Just received my two new midi fighter pro's: beat masher and cue master

From what I've read on here, the new pro mappings aren't available yet. Does this mean I can't use them at all? Or should I use an older mapping for the time being?

I'm pretty new to controllers so I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated!
Ethel Saracco
So "next week" has come and gone and still no performance video and mapping for the Cue Master. Create some hype, get us all excited and leave us disappointed.

I understand that delays occur, but this is 2 missed deadlines for the MF Pro's already. At least give us an update on the community s when you know you are falling behind. It's just more professional that way.

I love this site and the DJTT products, but please don't set deadlines that you can't meet. I believe it just hurts the professional image of DJTT.
Keturah Nooney
Agreed. Got my Cue Master on order and will be severely disappointed if the mappings aren't available when it arrives.

Also, not really finding any good documentation on the midi notes to do my own mappings (e.g. for the new faders; embedded combos; etc.). There is some stuff in the firmware source documentation, but difficult to follow. Hope this gets tidied up.
Ethel Saracco
I ordered my MF Pro - Cue Master last week. I'm curious; where is the performance video and mapping that we were promised by Ean in last week's post?

"The mapping and full on performance video will also be published next week."

I have been patiently waiting and looking for this all week. I really hope the mappings will be ready before the new MF Pros ship out.
Bradford Grafer
Originally Posted by dylooooon
$250 [ . . . ] I mean that's one kids entire birthday/nondenominational holiday.
Quiana Sedey
Once I see the mappings in action, I'll probably be getting one of these. I *just* got my MF a few weeks ago, and could most likely easily resell it locally or online for $150 or so with case etc, $200 bucks more and here I am in the market for a mf pro. I really just want full control of two decks and effects on them, hence why I want to see the mappings in action.

Also I want something that is going to mean I dont have to carry my Stealthcontrol with me anymore.
Randal Biza
It's a fair price. DJTT is not making a killing on this boutique instrument, which is incredibly unique and it has some of the best support you'll find for any electronic product. Plus, they're not a big company like M-Audio that can churn out thousands of units and bring down the price tremendously.
Randal Biza
Originally Posted by midifidler
O and to clarify for those asking - yes the XX Fader and the Cue Master are the same hardware, with unique firmware for each configuration.

This firmware will be made available so you will have the option of changing you model as you see fit.
This is awesome.
Kindra Brawand
Originally Posted by Electrosaurus
Amen to that!

Seconded. But to me in the UK. I hope it doesn't take as long as my MF did.. That drove me crazy..
Antony Cavoto
We don't have to fight to defend our gear , we could just enjoy whatever we want to enjoy and let others do whatever they want. Yer?
Amen to that!

Kiyoko Wellisch
I believe the biggest flaw of the midifighter pros is the effect it's having on the community s. If people don't care for the price, fine. We don't have to fight to defend our gear , we could just enjoy whatever we want to enjoy and let others do whatever they want. Yer?
Kimberly Lewark
I (and judging by their community posts, DJTT too) encourage you to build your own. Its a rewarding experience. We (Sidetrakd and me) will be posting a build log of our mod sometime soon. Maybe it will help you get started.
But don't do it just to save a few $, as you will soon find that parts cost more than you expect and that $250 to get a professionally built upgrade (with a beautiful and quality case) is actually a bargain.

PS: if you look at the videos of the pro carefully, you will see that theres more to the pro extension circuit board than a few wires connecting buttons/pots/faders. Nothing you cannot do yourself, but it will add to the time and cost if you want to be MF Pro compatible.
Chin Thoroughgood
Originally Posted by photojojo
@dylooon have you made a custom Midi Fighter? I believe the problem people have with what you're saying is not that you're bashing DJTT, but that you're just plain wrong when it comes to cost. If you can put that kit together using quality parts then by all means do so. Why don't you just make a thread that has all the info and part numbers needed to make the kit?
Soon... I am R&Ding it, but you've gotta admit it doesn't cost $250 for a few pots, faders, knobs, wires and buttons (I am NOT doing the external case, just one the like original MF with the sides open and exposed)
Ella Rick
Originally Posted by photojojo
@dylooon have you made a custom Midi Fighter? I believe the problem people have with what you're saying is not that you're bashing DJTT, but that you're just plain wrong when it comes to cost. If you can put that kit together using quality parts then by all means do so. Why don't you just make a thread that has all the info and part numbers needed to make the kit?
This! ^^^^^
Leeanna Ayla
Lorelei Przybylowicz
I'd very much like to have a go at my own mod but I'm guessing that I won't be able to use the Pro mappings unless I use the exact same configuration as the new Pro's i.e. the right analogue and digital inputs and duplexers etc.

I understand that DJTT have spent a lot of time and effort into putting these together - but will you share the hardware set ups behind it or is that giving a bit too much away ? I understand completely if you didn't want to but it would give the guys who say "I can do it for less $" an idea of the cost that's gone into them.

On a side note - it seems like people are questioning the trade in price the most rather than the original. Having just looked at the Classic MF page, it's nearly$195 with all arcade buttons, silicone case, painted top plus assembly. So actually you are only paying $150 for the hard case, new faders & knobs, extra PCB in there, mappings and future support. I believe everyone is forgetting the fact that the mappings don't come for free, DJTT do have to employ people to make these mappings and to make new versions etc.

Anyways - I believe $150 is a better way at looking at it. And on the cost of $100 for a trade in - I'm guessing the reason is that DJTT may re-cycle these but will have to make significant modifications to the v1.1 or v1.2 to make them on par with the v1.3 to then re-sell or install in the pro's. So again, you can't see a v1.1 being equal in value to a v1.3
Kiyoko Wellisch
I certainly hope that you can switch firmware easily. It'd be nice to pick whatever mapping and layout you like.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Originally Posted by other1
by the above reply from Ean, it looks like firmware AND mappings are different
Yeah looks that way. Nothing a quick firmware flash couldn't resolve pre gig though. Still really want a pair of these!!
Oh the dilemma.
Ella Rick
I don't know why alot of people are complaining about the price,
I personally believe it's fairly priced for what you get.

Come on guys!
Chin Thoroughgood
@ sidetrakt I do not intend to make a company to compete with DJTT I only want to offer a kit that will further support the community and progress the hardware. Something that'll be pretty easy for people to put together (as you all know there are certainly alot of posts in these forms asking VERY basic questions that have already been answered or should't really even be asked if the customer did his/her homework of what setting up the MF entails). I just want to make something that people can order and put together without digging around for days through the forms to find the answers (I am referring to customization not simply mapping and updating the MF firmware, they are stickied to the top making it very obvious). I, like many of the other people who posted on this community early on, asked for an and would LOVE an upgrade kit. Now it seems as if it is not going to happen for us at all unfortunately . Thus, DJTT it would be in your best interest to fill the niche of that market, or have someone else fill it, or it will soon be taken .

@midifidler No I cannot believe of another company like DJTT, if it comes off that I am bashing them, I am sorry. I am not trying to put them down I am simply disappointed with the way things have turned out. I was almost certain that they would have DIY kits available to revamp an old product for their religious followers. As for the case, I wasn't planning on providing a case (maybe a wood or acrylic one for a few extra bucks), but just the knobs, pots, faders and acrylic tops/bottoms and screws etc. as well as a strait forward instruction guide (maybe DJTT could do this as well and not include the hard case to bring the cost down???) Also I wasn't saying I could build a MF for $30 (although I understand your argument) simply the wiring and the buttons/faders/acrylic pieces and I didn't put a price on it, just that it wont cost $250 (should be substantially less). There are a max of 8 controls to add to the old MFs to make them fit the new pro line models (4 bank buttons and up to 4 pots/fader combos, making for 8 new controls).

@Everyone I am very happy with my original MF and all of the support and open options DJTT has opened up. I simply want to continue this on for the least amount of money possible, lets face it there are alot of younger dj's and hobbiest dj's that use this site that may not have the money to drop $250 for an 8 control upgrade. (I mean that's one kids entire birthday/nondenominational holiday, etc.) I really hope that DJTT can see this and provide a kit, I am sure almost everyone that has an original MF will purchase one to get the new mappings (I am sure they will be awesome, as always).
devozz baby
Originally Posted by D-Kem
Nowt other than a mapping i'm guessing.

Originally Posted by EanGolden
yup- they have the same controls, but in order to be used sideways- and in the manner designed, they must have totally different software programs installed so the buttons send out the right notes and the faders are oriented correctly. They also have separate mapping files so it's essentially a different model.

by the above reply from Ean, it looks like firmware AND mappings are different
Leeanna Ayla
I thin the fact that they're giving $100 credit for used Midi Fighters gives a little insight into how much they really cost to produce.
Adolf Hit
@guy with knife - order now and they come filled with whiskey!

@herenow, the videos/photos did not show it very well but yes the square buttons have midi assignable LEDs
Mozella Vay
And as far as pricing goes... I definitely do agree that they are not cheap. But that's the point... they arent cheap. I bought a FaderFox when they first came out and it was damn expensive, but everything still works on it and its like 6-7 years old. Recently I bought a pair of Contours cause they seem to be of the same build quality. Cause to me nothing sucks more then when components wear out quickly on things that are cheap.

In regards to MidiFighters, from what I've seen they are actually made to take even much more abuse- to be "played" like a game controller. Anyone that has played games much... sure you can use a cheap controller... but you end up buying lots of them cause they just arent made to be seriously played.

From my point of view Midifighters are designed and built by people that are really pushing the limits of what can be done with Digital DJ'ing. Its a whole new level of "playing" music. Basically it is getting to the point of doing real-time live remixing with effect triggers and cue juggling. I don't believe there is any other hardware controller out there that is being designed to take that type of abuse.

There are always going to be other ways to play music, and other controllers to do so, but the main reason pro hardware is not cheap is so that it can be played consistently for what it was designed to do.
Kimberly Lewark
I want a Potatofighter!!
Ned Somerset
Haters gunna hate. taters gunna tate. painters gunna paint. Congrats DJTT on the new controller. seems to be causing quite the buzz! I will be purchasing one ASAP
Mozella Vay
Speaking of the actual new MidiFighters, I was wondering if the little square buttons have lights. (if they don't, might be a good idea) That way can know what bank is being used etc. (I was actually going to use them as quick select buttons for routing all effects to each deck... was why lights would be good as then will know what deck(s) the MidiFighter will be... effecting.
Adolf Hit

Adolf Hit
@dyloon

Please give me an example of a comparable company who offers existing customers a hardware upgrade option...

The midifighter has always allowed for people to make controllers very similar to the PRO, take a look around the community - very few people have gotten far there, even with the abnormal amount of support DJTT and the dedicated community community is always open to give.

So by all means if you want to spend your personal time and "a few dollars" to recreate this product go for it, Ill give you a heads up though, you are probably looking at about 350 USD for a similar case as a one off. Best of luck with that...

This is the same argument that people used to critique the MF classic when it was announced, its just a bunch of arcade buttons, some laser cut plastic and a few leds "I can make that for like 30$, what a rip off", ignoring the fact that the cost of arcade buttons alone invalidates that statement, the large amount of personal time involved is what makes the difference.

If you have the will, the knowledge, and the spare time go for it - I did and thats where the MF came from...

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy