DJ-Stalk: Dim Mak boss Steve Aoki is a Jack of All Trades
Steve Aoki founded Dim Mak Records when he was 19, back in 1996. Right away he started to support an eclectic roster of artists. One of the success-stories is Bloc Party, which was found in 2003. After that they started giving out Bloc Party remixes and hosting Dim Mak label parties in LA. Remixing indie bands as well as i.e. Michael Jackson and eventually working on his own tunes, Steve Aoki has stepped into the limelight as a DJ, artist and a producer.
Steve is constantly busy leading a company with a mere 17 employees in the LA's layer of Dim Mak. The majority of his time is taken up by signing up new artists, working on projects in his studio or on the computer. Steve was interviewed by the Dan Schwabel for the Forbes Magazine.
When asked about house music spreading across America, Steve answers that the game has really changed in terms of finding new music and sharing it with your fans and friends. You dont rely on MTV or the radio for new music. People rather try their own personal methods to stay in touch with their favorites. Internets the access point and everybody knows how to best use it. Artists use it most of all to spread their music and get feedback and book gigs. They dont have to be signed by major labels to make it in the business. Actually he points out that the social media has changed everything, no more big spending on advertising or paperback magazines. Steve emphesizes that its a great time for music, because artists compete in the space of music. Aoki, like any other superstar, is constantly using Twitter, Facebook and Google+ to interact with his fanbase.
"Producing music is a constant learning and unlearning process." - Steve Aoki
This year, Aoki has collaborated with Laidback Luke on Turbulence, Afrojack on No Beef, Knife Party on Piledriver and Tiesto on Tornado. He says, that producing music is a constant learning and unlearning process. Working on his latest release Wonderland, he got to work with different singers, vocalists and producers and that was something he charised and loved. And the people he works with are his biggest influences and inspiration.
Time's have been for Steve Aoki. Hes put out a album and got to be a part of major collaborations with many artists. Every song for the album is getting a video, if it hasnt got it already. Steve just released a remix EP for Emergency ft. Lil Jon & Chiddy Bang featuring remixes by Laidback Luke, Clockwork, Villains, Terravita, & DJ Green Lantern. And hell be looking to launch Steve Aokis Charitable Fund on his forthcoming birthday bash. Exciting stuff going on around Steve, as its become tradition.
- 15.06.2018 30 Seconds to Mars guitarist Tomo Milicevic quits band
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Martin Solveig
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Funtcase
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Claudia Cazacu
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Felix Cartal
- 15.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ftampa
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Cosmic Gate
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Alex Kenji
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Filo and Peri
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down Wit DJ Christian Smith
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Marcus Schossow
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Soulwax
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Lindsey Stirling
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sophie Sugar
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sub Focus
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Noisecontrollers
- 20.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Dzeko & Torres
- 20.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Luciano
Back to news