DJ-Stalk: Dim Mak boss Steve Aoki is a Jack of All Trades
Steve Aoki founded Dim Mak Records when he was 19, back in 1996. Right away he started to support an eclectic roster of artists. One of the success-stories is Bloc Party, which was found in 2003. After that they started giving out Bloc Party remixes and hosting Dim Mak label parties in LA. Remixing indie bands as well as i.e. Michael Jackson and eventually working on his own tunes, Steve Aoki has stepped into the limelight as a DJ, artist and a producer.
Steve is constantly busy leading a company with a mere 17 employees in the LA's layer of Dim Mak. The majority of his time is taken up by signing up new artists, working on projects in his studio or on the computer. Steve was interviewed by the Dan Schwabel for the Forbes Magazine.
When asked about house music spreading across America, Steve answers that the game has really changed in terms of finding new music and sharing it with your fans and friends. You dont rely on MTV or the radio for new music. People rather try their own personal methods to stay in touch with their favorites. Internets the access point and everybody knows how to best use it. Artists use it most of all to spread their music and get feedback and book gigs. They dont have to be signed by major labels to make it in the business. Actually he points out that the social media has changed everything, no more big spending on advertising or paperback magazines. Steve emphesizes that its a great time for music, because artists compete in the space of music. Aoki, like any other superstar, is constantly using Twitter, Facebook and Google+ to interact with his fanbase.
"Producing music is a constant learning and unlearning process." - Steve Aoki
This year, Aoki has collaborated with Laidback Luke on Turbulence, Afrojack on No Beef, Knife Party on Piledriver and Tiesto on Tornado. He says, that producing music is a constant learning and unlearning process. Working on his latest release Wonderland, he got to work with different singers, vocalists and producers and that was something he charised and loved. And the people he works with are his biggest influences and inspiration.
Time's have been for Steve Aoki. Hes put out a album and got to be a part of major collaborations with many artists. Every song for the album is getting a video, if it hasnt got it already. Steve just released a remix EP for Emergency ft. Lil Jon & Chiddy Bang featuring remixes by Laidback Luke, Clockwork, Villains, Terravita, & DJ Green Lantern. And hell be looking to launch Steve Aokis Charitable Fund on his forthcoming birthday bash. Exciting stuff going on around Steve, as its become tradition.
- 30.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Dusty Kid
- 29.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Gregor Salto
- 26.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Tydi
- 16.02.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Robert Dietz
- 19.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Gramatik
- 29.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Max Vangeli
- 16.02.2018 A Sit Down With DJ John 00 Fleming
- 15.02.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Norin & Rad
- 24.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Bonobo
- 24.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Tube & Berger
- 17.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Derrick May
- 01.02.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Le Castle Vania
- 16.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Miguel Migs
- 17.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Chus and Ceballos
- 30.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Maor Levi
- 15.02.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ambivalent
- 13.02.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ookay
- 18.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Milk N Cookies
- 18.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Satoshi Tomiie
- 26.01.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Brillz
Back to news