A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
Ben Nicky, this talented young International DJ/ producer emerging from the UK trance scene has been hailed as one of the hardest working artists in the trance scene by the worlds no 1 DJ Armin Van Buuren.
"Over the years I have DJed in a variety of countries and over that time you start to see patterns within crowd reactions. I always enjoy reading the crowd and seeing which music seems to get the best reaction. "
Tell us, what does a normal day in the life of Ben Nicky involve?
No problem. A normal day where I am not touring is actually pretty mundane and boring, I hate it when I have free time to be honest. When I am home in the UK you can normally find me in the gym, cooking some crazy healthy recipe or working on music in the studio.
What makes your style unique among others?
I play very short tracks, I edit it for 3 minutes, I dont wait for 5 minutes for the break. In the old days, in the 90s it worked but now crowd get bored very very easily and lots of fans in the crowd are not always knowledgeable in Trance, so I keep their excitement & anticipation, I mix really quickly, lot of energy quite similar to Eddie whos playing with me tonight. Anyone who seen me DJ will tell you Im quite energetic, I like to mix mashups & exclusives no one got.
Which aspect of your profession do you prefer; creating new sounds in the studio or getting behind the decks in clubs?
I love being able to sit on an airplane and create a crazy mashup or work on new music and then be able to play it to 1000s of people So I guess I love both. I am a lot more confident at DJing than producing and I dont doubt myself at all when it comes to spinning decks but production is something that has a lot more skill to it. I dont think you can ever learn enough as a producer and I still have a lot I want to learn.
Where do you get your inspiration from when working in the studio?
I try not to conform to conventional patterns when writing new music. I take influence from many other music genres which I think helps when you come to writing blocks and lack of motivation. Some of the tracks I have done have had chord progression influences from bands such as Metallica, Kiss + Foo Fighters so I guess I just like to be different and try and incorporate many different styles within my trance sound.
Whats your relationship with social media?
Apparently I am the most viral dj on Snapchat and Facebook, well, my videos the amount of likes against the amount of followers I have is the biggest interaction, someone told me! So I do my own social media and if you see something rad its normally me , tho,its very hard because I tour so much but I like to have a really good interaction with my fans to make them feel what they read its truthful, without that I would not have stood where i am now.
Whats your current opinion of the Trance Scene & what the future hides?
Im not really a political person, I only worry about myself. I dont really care about what other people do as long as I am happy, I am busy & I can make people happy with my music, thats what matters. The hardest sound is definitely coming back again, it keeps going into circles but everybody who knows me know that Im loyal to my sound & my fans so I wont change. Its a hard question to answer, I just worry about myself.
Paul van Dyk himself has been a big advocate of yours throughout your career so far and you have toured with him a number of times already. Whats it like to work so closely with one of the trance scenes iconic artists and pioneers?
Paul was one of my idols when I first starting DJing and he has been a great mentor to me over the years. I have signed multiple tracks to his Vandit Record label and toured with him in many amazing cities including Miami, Berlin + London. You will be seeing a lot more work between us in the near future so its an exciting time.
- 30.11.2018 Katy Perry is Forbes' highest-paid woman in music for 2018
- 30.11.2018 The Chemical Brothers announce new album No Geography and UK arena tour
- 30.11.2018 John Mayer Decided To Get Sober After Drakes 30th Birthday Party
- 19.11.2018 Miley Cyrus 'Devastated' After Losing Home to California Wildfires
- 19.11.2018 G-Eazy Was Spotted on a PDA-Heavy Date with Someone Who's Definitely Not Halsey
- 19.11.2018 Justin Bieber Is Tired of People's "Demands" During His "Season of Self-Discovery"
- 30.11.2018 Zayn Malik Just Confirmed That Taylor Swift Really Does Travel IN Suitcases
- 30.11.2018 Everything you need to know about Hailey Baldwin
- 19.11.2018 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2018: Rita Ora, Halsey & More Announced To Perform
- 15.11.2018 Emily Eavis hints at Glastonbury 2019 headline act
- 15.11.2018 A Star Is Born Gets New Trigger Warning In New Zealand
- 12.11.2018 Model Slick Woods went in to labour during Rihanna's Savage x Fenty lingerie show
- 30.11.2018 Dinah Jane Is Stepping Out On Her Own
- 12.11.2018 We Finally Found Noah Centineos Flaw
- 30.11.2018 Emma Stone Is A Bigger Spice Girl Stan Than You
- 30.11.2018 People On Twitter Are Sharing The Stupidest Things Theyve Said To Celebrities
- 05.11.2018 The Spice Girls Have Finally Reunited and Announced They're Officially Going on Tour
- 05.11.2018 Everything To Know About Gwyneth Paltrow's Wedding Dress
- 10.11.2018 Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Look so Happy in This Behind-the-Scenes Royal Tour Photo
- 05.11.2018 Kim Kardashian Calls Ray J a "Pathological Liar" Over Sex Claims
Back to news