A Sit Down With DJ Marcus Schossow
Its very difficult to put this producer in a particular category on any level. Marcus Schossow exudes an independent, out-of-the ordinary personality with a forth right tongue with a facetious twist that had me laughing quite a bit. He seems like he knows what he wants at the age of 24, and doesnt seem to care about the title of a DJ/producer but more is about anyone, from a music addict to the occasional club drifter, enjoying his tunes. Marcus has been producing since he was 14 yrs old and has turned quite a few heads from artists like Ferry Corsten, Pete Tong, Armin Van Buuren, and Sander K. Schossow got the project to do a remix for the classic track, Carte Blanche. This task was quite challenging for him as he was trying to find the right balance of the modification without stripping the original mix apart.
"I believe there are no peaks. It doesnt matter if you play for 100,000 people or 80, you still have to deliver and keep your feet on the ground. I think the true peak for me is that I can be on tour and still keep up the studio work."
You are originally from Sweden. Electronic dance music is blowing up right now in the United States. Knowing how big the scene is over here, do you try to play more shows here or in Europe and other parts of the world?
I actually play most of my shows in North America or Eastern Europe. However, give Asia a couple of years; they will bloom.
How long have you been DJing? How did you get started?
I started when I was about 14. It all started with that the local school DJ broke his leg on the way to his gig and me and my friend had to jump in as replacement.
Over the last a few year your music style evolved a lot. What or who did influence you during these times?
Honestly, nobody really has influenced me. Ive been motivated with the support from Steve Angello, he quickly picked up on what I have had in my head!
Any news about your popular "radio show" inspirations? Do you plan to bring it back anytime soon?
Yes, soon! For me, that radio show is more of a mix series than a radio show. For me, radio shows are a dead concept. I want to give people something that lasts. Some of these mixes have 16k plays, and a lot of you are replaying it more than five times So it means you come back to it! For me, its important that we keep it that way, quality control! Quality before quantity.
The DJ Mag Top 100 list has Armin van Buuren back at the top. What are your thoughts on a list like that one voted by the fans? Do you think placement on that list helps a DJ get shows?
If you are in the top 20, then maybe it matters, but for the rest of it, nah, doesnt mean anything. Armin deserves to be #1; he is a father, a husband, world touring DJ party organizer, producer, radio show host and label manager. What more could you possible do? Trust me, if there is a man with superpowers, then its Armin! Hype can maybe get you a few shows in random clubs, but you dont want to play in random clubs, you want to play in clubs that book you back, year after year after year. In that way, the list means nothing.
Whats the best thing about touring? Worst thing?
Best thing is getting to see all the people and meet them all! I have some hardcore devoted fans and Im happy to see them raging! Worst thing is the hotel beds, I hate them Huge covers and pillows that are either too hard or too soft. Yeah, pretty much 1st world problems!
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Havana Brown
- 15.06.2018 30 Seconds to Mars guitarist Tomo Milicevic quits band
- 10.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Gold
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Martin Solveig
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Funtcase
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Claudia Cazacu
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Felix Cartal
- 15.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ftampa
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Cosmic Gate
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Alex Kenji
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Filo and Peri
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down Wit DJ Christian Smith
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Marcus Schossow
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Soulwax
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Lindsey Stirling
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sophie Sugar
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sub Focus
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Noisecontrollers
Back to news