A Sit Down With DJ Solomun
DJ, label owner, party maker, producer, but also filmmaker. The curriculum that Solomun built, now that he has turned 40, is incredibly rich. Resident Advisor, the bible of electronic music, has defined him as one of the most influential people who helped make Electronic music what it is today.
"I feel thankful and blessed for everywhere my little journey is taking me."
Tell us what brought you to music
Well, I was 10 years old. I was at home and my parents went out visiting some friends and I was a little bit scared; I was alone, it was raining, stormy. And then I heard something tapping on the window. There was a white bird. I opened the window and this white bird started to talk to me...
You're now considered as one of the biggest things of the European dance music scene. What was the club scene like in Hamburg when you started to play records? Some time ago I talked with Tensnake, who told me that techno was pretty everywhere.
Thats true, when I started to produce music it was with lots of harmonies and melodies because during that time minimal techno was all over the place. Dont get me wrong: theres nothing bad about minimal techno. But for me it was too much and I had the strong feeling that electronic music could easily have a little bit more emotions. This was also one of the reasons we founded Diynamic to give this sound a platform. In Hamburg there had always been lots of House music, but more this old school vocal- gay-house, and the rest was Techno.
What is your greatest strength as a producer and what is it as a DJ?
This is something others can judge better then I can do. What I can say is that I produce with the heart of a DJ.
How would you describe your sound and how it has evolved since the first records you put out on Diynamic?
Within my sound I do attach big importance on a groovy bass line. For me, this is the base of my work and everything builds up on that.
What is your process like in the studio?
Thats always different. Since I am traveling more or less all the time I am working on ideas with my laptop in the plane or in the Hotel. And for finishing tracks I need a studio set up around me, but this can be everywhere.
Do you have any spare time left? What do you like to do if you have any?
Not much to be honest. When I have some free time I like having dinner with friends and sometimes I enjoy only watching TV-shows on my laptop.
What are your plans and dreams for the future?
To be honest, I dont plan much, it make no sense. That is one of the things that I learned. I try to take everything step by step and go for just a 6-month schedule to finish things regarding the label and some other plans, but no big plans. And where dreams are concerned, I am super happy and hopefully I can continue like this and remain healthy, also for my family and the people around me. Eventually, of course, one day I hope to have a family of my own.
You said that for you music is moments. A lot of people try to keep those moments last forever, like some producers do with techno and its energetic loops. But, is music a frozen moment in loop or an ever evolving tale?
Music is music, its like a rose is a rose. And with music you can do almost anything. You can touch peoples hearts, you can terrify them, because music goes instantly inside people. Music can lead to sweet love and to revolutions at the same time. So to answer your question: music is everything and can be everything: looped to death or a never ending tale.
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Havana Brown
- 15.06.2018 30 Seconds to Mars guitarist Tomo Milicevic quits band
- 10.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Gold
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Martin Solveig
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Funtcase
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Claudia Cazacu
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Felix Cartal
- 15.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ftampa
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Cosmic Gate
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Alex Kenji
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Filo and Peri
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down Wit DJ Christian Smith
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Marcus Schossow
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Soulwax
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Lindsey Stirling
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sophie Sugar
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sub Focus
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Noisecontrollers
Back to news