A Sit Down With DJ Jack Beats
In a bass music/electro scene that becomes more and more crowded every day, Jack Beats are doing well to stand out with a sound totally unique to them, instantly accessible and flipping' easy to rave out to. Some kinda twisted hybrid between house, hip hop, Dubstep, Electro and Drum'n'bass, the quality of their output and DJ sets makes even more sense when you look at the duo's pedigree: Niall Dailly is part of Turntablism legends Scratch Perverts, and likewise Ben Giffen was part of hip hop DJ crew The Mixologists.
"One of the best things from dance music is that energy you can get from going with the audience as well. If you get it wrong you get it wrong, but if you get it right then that's kind of what DJing is all about."
You grew up in Scotland. Is it a place that fosters music? What was the scene like while you were growing up there?
I was really lucky actually, when I was really young I was a skater and used to hang out with a friend, who was one of the better skaters, and all his older friends. A lot of those guys were listening to hip hop and I was 13 and didnt know a great deal about it. So these mix tapes began circulating our school and that kind of fostered this whole teenage existence of listening to music that people 10 years older than us were listening to. So it was a great place in that respect. This might sound weird but I dont know if Id be where I was today if I hadnt networked through the Edinburgh club scene and stuff. I dont know if it would be good place for everyone; I think the club scene is quite quiet up there now.
Who are some of the artists, dance music or otherwise, who you guys have been feeling and been inspired by lately?
Man, theres loads. From like people over here, people like Route 94, hes doing some really cool stuff. Hes about to have a really big song out here. I mean, the likes of Dusky and Kidnap Kid .The Catz`n Dogzdudes, really into them. Theres so many cool sounds happening at the moment, really. AC Slaters doing some really cool stuff out in LA with his sort of Night Bass stuff and his new sort of 2014 sound, with Taiki & Nulight and all those guys on his Party Like Us label Im just trying to think Man, theres so much all the time. Its still a cool reflection of what were sort of feeling.
You have a history of pulling from diverse sounds such as Bassline, drum & bass, Electro house, and even Dutch house and Baltimore club and beyond. How do you synthesize all those sounds into your work, and what are some of the musical styles that excite you at the moment?
I would say the parts of tunes that are synthesized or not often varies, but generally speaking, Basslines/leads/pads, etc. are always designed on synths. Drums these days are a mix of sampled and designed drums. Specific samples are sometimes redone/replayed on synths, but usually we use and process the sample itself for its unique sound.
Is there like any specific end-game to what youre doing in the studio? Are you guys trying to do an EP or LP, or are you just getting in there and exploring your sound again?
I think we just got excited about really writing some good music again. Not that we werent writing good music.
Youre doing a US tour in support of Vibrate. What do you have planned for the fans?
Upcoming tour is gonna be sick cause first, we will have brand-new visuals for it. Also, am bringing Mika, whos not only an amazing DJ but a really good friend, too, so you know the shows are definitely gonna be special. Expect dark, bass-heavy underground club music.
Do you have any pre-gig rituals or superstitions?
Good pre show dinner - bad gig & visa versa. Never works out that way tho.
What's your lamest claim to fame besides DJing?
One of us is an alpine plant expert.
- 14.01.2019 NFL Confirms Maroon 5, Travis Scott & Big Boi to Perform at Super Bowl
- 14.01.2019 GRLwood Serves Up Kentucky Fried Queer Punk
- 14.01.2019 JoJo Re-Recorded Her Debut Album
- 14.01.2019 Nicki Minaj Is Being Compared To Lil Kim In New Vogue
- 09.01.2019 Two Beyoncé Albums Were Leaked On Spotify
- 09.01.2019 Kathy Griffin Calls Out No Women Among Top-Paid Comedians
- 25.12.2018 Gwen Stefani heading to demo about concert stampede
- 25.12.2018 Jennifer Lopez understands Alex Rodriguez marriage speculation
- 25.12.2018 Megan Fox Thought She Wouldnt Be A Sympathetic Victim For #MeToo
- 25.12.2018 Please Dont Let Miley Cyrus Make Another Hip-Hop Album
- 23.12.2018 Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn Might Get Engaged Soon
- 23.12.2018 Britney Spears Meets Nine Inch Nails On Betta Lemmes New Track
- 23.12.2018 Ariana Grande Honors A Simple, Beautiful Love On New Track Imagine
- 14.12.2018 Women Dominated The 2019 Grammy Nominations
- 23.12.2018 LFREAQ Gets Freaky In New Video
- 23.12.2018 Did Madonna Just Try To Reignite Beef With Lady Gaga?
- 23.12.2018 Apparently, Cardi B Is Too Busy To Go To Court
- 14.12.2018 The Only Good Thing On The Internet Is Britney Spears Instagram
- 14.12.2018 Lana Del Rey Is Apparently Venturing Into Country Music Now
- 14.12.2018 Ariana Grande Reveals The Heartfelt Letter She Wrote To Manchester Victims
Back to news