Police Say No Criminal Suspicion in Aviciis Death
Artist, DJ, and producer Tim Bergling, a.k.a. Avicii, died Friday afternoon in Oman, according to a statement from his rep. According to multiple media reports, sources within the Oman police department have said they have no criminal suspicion in the Friday death of famous Swedish DJ.
Swedish superstar gone
Avicii, whose real name was Tim Bergling, died Friday at a resort in Muscat, Oman of undisclosed causes at the age of 28. Two post-mortem examinations have been conducted, with authorities ruling out foul play.
One of the most popular and successful electronic dance-music artists of all time he scored a No. 4 hit on the Billboard 200 in 2013 with Wake Me Up and regularly appeared in the Top 5 of Forbes Highest-Paid DJs lists he retired from live performing in 2016 at the peak of his success, citing health reasons.
What illness did he have?
He had suffered from health problems for several years, including acute pancreatitis, exacerbated by excessive drinking. That make him retire from performing two years ago (in 2017) to take a break from touring and the exhausting lifestyle that comes with it. He had his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014 but said he had quit drinking at the time.
He said at the time: "I'm still traumatized. But I'm sure I will again.
He don't give up music
After his retirement, DJ explained in a 2017 posting on his site that he had no intention of giving up music completely, writing "We all reach a point in our lives and careers where we understand what matters the most to us."
Avicii returned to studio work with gusto, releasing an EP last fall called Avici that he said was the first third of his third studio album, and his label chief,Geffen Records Neil Jacobsen, told Variety Friday that the artist was hard at work on new material.
We were working on it and it was his best music in years, honestly, Jacobsen said. And I know because I [A&Rd] all of his albums. He was so inspired. He was so psyched. We had done a month of grinder sessions. We had to actually put end times on the sessions because Tim would just work for 16 hours straight, which was his nature. You had to pull him out. Like, Tim, come on. Go to bed. Get some rest. Its just a tragedy. We have this incredible, magical music.
Jacobsen declined to provide further details about the recordings, and said he would sit down with Aviciis family in the coming weeks to try and do what we think Tim would want us to do.
Swedish fans hold memorial
EDM community mourns
After the news broke of his death Friday afternoon, musicians mourned his death on social media, sharing messages of shock and grief.
"Devastating news about Avicii, a beautiful soul, passionate and extremely talented with so much more to do. My heart goes out to his family. God bless you Tim," wrote Calvin Harris, while Marshmello shared, "At a loss for words...Rest easy brother."
"My sincerest and most heartfelt condolences to the friends, fans and families of @Avicii," Deadmau5 tweeted. "Banter aside, nobody can deny what he has accomplished and done for modern dance music and I'm very proud of him."
- 12.11.2018 Model Slick Woods went in to labour during Rihanna's Savage x Fenty lingerie show
- 12.11.2018 We Finally Found Noah Centineos Flaw
- 05.11.2018 The Spice Girls Have Finally Reunited and Announced They're Officially Going on Tour
- 05.11.2018 Everything To Know About Gwyneth Paltrow's Wedding Dress
- 10.11.2018 Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Look so Happy in This Behind-the-Scenes Royal Tour Photo
- 05.11.2018 Kim Kardashian Calls Ray J a "Pathological Liar" Over Sex Claims
- 10.11.2018 Rihanna Doesn't Want Trump to Play Her Songs at His Rallies
- 11.11.2018 Janet Jackson Delivers Emotional Me Too Speech At MTV
- 03.11.2018 Miley Cyrus teams up with Madonna for MTV Unplugged performance
- 11.11.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Krufty Kuts
- 05.11.2018 Beyonce recreates Toni Braxton album cover for Halloween
- 03.11.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Orbital
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Havana Brown
- 15.06.2018 30 Seconds to Mars guitarist Tomo Milicevic quits band
- 10.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Gold
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Martin Solveig
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Funtcase
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Claudia Cazacu
Back to news