A Sit Down With DJ Fei-Fei
Introducing Fei-Fei, international lady of trance and techno, beatport chart topping female DJ and Producer. Girl Power is about to receive a new twist. This ferocious DJ and producer has captivated audiences worldwide with her pounding mix of trance and techno and you can be sure there's some serious competition for the male DJ's around the world. But dont let her looks deceive you-She's at the top of her game and has taken the industry by storm. In the past few years she has signed to several of the most critically acclaimed record labels in dance musicArmada Music, home to Armin Van Buuren and Vandit Records, home to Paul Van Dyk.
"Musicians should be as open-minded as possible and never limit themselves to a specific genre."
When did you start producing your own tracks?
Ive always been good at coming up with melodies. Playing the piano for so long and being surrounded by so much music you start to hear things in your head. But I guess I started formally producing a few years after I moved to California roughly four to five years ago. I started messing around with Reason, then Cubase, Logic, and now Ableton. I wasnt sure that I would get this far but I grew up believing that anything was possible if you worked hard enough. Im also incredibly lucky to have had some good friends show me things along the way and always encouraging me. Without them I wouldnt be where I am today.
Do you use software or hardware when producing?
All software baby. Well I guess my guitar is the exception.
What do you consider to be your biggest break that launched your DJ career?
There isnt one thing. Such a misconception. It takes years and years of hustling and working super hard for everything to finally pay off. People may look at an artist and pin point a big break but thats usually not the case. Its never one thing or an overnight success. So hustle hard, takes undying passion and hard work to get there but it will pay off!
How did you get your first regular gig at Club Red in LA?
I had just moved to Los Angeles and some friends dragged me out one evening and told me to bring my records. I guess it was some sort of open decks house party and they said I might get a chance to play. So I eagerly did so and waited and waited and waited until pretty late, so late that the police showed up and almost busted the party! I was dead tired at this point but luckily the party went on and I was up next. I played for about 30 minutes and afterwards one of the owners of Club Red came up and offered a gig right there and then. He said, how would you like to come and play for us at Red? You dont often hear of getting a gig this way so I said, hell, yeah! Looking back I was incredibly lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.
Who influences your sound?
Debussy, Paul van Dyk, Garbage, Richie Hawtin, Joey Medina, John Askew, DJ Preach, John Acquaviva, Adam Beyer, Carl Cox, Armin van Buuren, Eddie Halliwell, Bissen, John OCallaghan and the list could go on! Seriously, too many to name!
Formerly you were known as a trance DJ. Only few artists are brave enough to make a 360 degree career move. When did you decide to do it and how do you enjoy it so far?
I always follow inspiration. And going back to always growing and evolving as an artist, the more diverse you can be I think the better. These days people are so much more open minded and music is just one hot mess. Everything is being influenced by everything, its really exciting to see and be a part of. When did it happen? I cant pinpoint a day, its constantly moving and changing and Ive always championed a really diverse style.
Perhaps a favourite Artist from the "Non Dance Music" genre?
Easy. Paramore. I remixed their hit song Crushcrushcrush. Definitely check them out, they're one of my favs.
Whats your most embarrassing moment?
Not really. Im a tough cookie to crack. Although if you sing happy birthday to me with a gang of people and do the whole cake and candle thing I might get a little bit red.
- 11.12.2018 Azealia Banks Calls Out Lana Del Rey For Criticizing Kanye
- 11.12.2018 Actually, Its Cool If Céline Dion Is A Satanist
- 11.12.2018 Miley Cyrus Is On The Run From The Police In New Video
- 11.12.2018 Apparently, Rita Ora And Andrew Garfield Are Dating
- 30.11.2018 Katy Perry is Forbes' highest-paid woman in music for 2018
- 11.12.2018 Taylor Swift hops to Universal Music Group
- 11.12.2018 Steve Aoki shares all Asian-American cast video for BTS collaboration Waste It On Me
- 30.11.2018 The Chemical Brothers announce new album No Geography and UK arena tour
- 11.12.2018 Sky Ferreira Reveals When New Music Is Coming
- 11.12.2018 Lion Babe Takes A New Approach To A Holiday Classic
- 11.12.2018 Zayn And Nicki Minaj Teamed Up For A New Song
- 30.11.2018 John Mayer Decided To Get Sober After Drakes 30th Birthday Party
- 19.11.2018 Miley Cyrus 'Devastated' After Losing Home to California Wildfires
- 19.11.2018 G-Eazy Was Spotted on a PDA-Heavy Date with Someone Who's Definitely Not Halsey
- 19.11.2018 Justin Bieber Is Tired of People's "Demands" During His "Season of Self-Discovery"
- 30.11.2018 Zayn Malik Just Confirmed That Taylor Swift Really Does Travel IN Suitcases
- 30.11.2018 Everything you need to know about Hailey Baldwin
- 19.11.2018 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2018: Rita Ora, Halsey & More Announced To Perform
- 15.11.2018 Emily Eavis hints at Glastonbury 2019 headline act
- 15.11.2018 A Star Is Born Gets New Trigger Warning In New Zealand
Back to news