Making a kick

Making a kick
Posted on: 31.01.2013 by Claudette Gartley
Hi everyone I try to make or found similar kick like in this song but simply can not https://soundcloud.com/sixteenofive/dj-fronter-cntrl-and-next?in=sixteenofive/sets/dj-fronter-venditti-bros-booth-ep . Now could you help me how can I make similar kick what type of kick and efects I need to use or there on the net some samples.Thanks sorry for english
Carlee Pickard
You can definitely make drums.

Originally Posted by Milest3hr4t
this may seem a bit weird but I make my own drums. It's all about understanding how sound design works. Of course I don't limit myself to making drums sound like real-world drumkits, that's a evening mare. Listening to this track though it just sounds like a basic 808 or 909 with a little extra tone from EQing, and then some reverb. maybe a very low amount of distortion somewhere. It only sounds different to me because of other instruments.

There are tutorials on youtube that are relatively easy to find to get the basics. Me personally making synthdrums from scratch I like to use sytrus, but thats just my synth of choice, but drumaxx is kinda cool to, I just don't believe its $100 cool.
However when listening to a track and if you like a kick or something, sometimes the best way and easiest way to get the same sounding kick is to just sample that kick. Especially with "DJ Ready" tracks that have 16 or 32 bars of intro which is usually just the drums going. To me that's the easiest way to sample the kick out.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
Didn't knew it was possible to "make" a kick
you can, its just really really hard to make it sound legit
tried doing it once, thought it sounded good, compared it to a sampled kick, that was the end of that experiment haha
Claudette Gartley
Hi everyone I try to make or found similar kick like in this song but simply can not https://soundcloud.com/sixteenofive/dj-fronter-cntrl-and-next?in=sixteenofive/sets/dj-fronter-venditti-bros-booth-ep . Now could you help me how can I make similar kick what type of kick and efects I need to use or there on the net some samples.Thanks sorry for english
Nikole Boam
Layer 2 kicks & a closed hat. 1 bassy 909 style, 1 fast attack kick with less body. Boost around 70Hz, boost again around 5kHz. Use a transient attack designer to make that clicky sound in the beginning. You are almost there now..
Monserrate Rupnow
Basics of making a kick:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...ecrets0102.asp

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...ecrets0202.asp
Carlee Pickard
You can definitely make drums.

Originally Posted by Milest3hr4t
this may seem a bit weird but I make my own drums. It's all about understanding how sound design works. Of course I don't limit myself to making drums sound like real-world drumkits, that's a evening mare. Listening to this track though it just sounds like a basic 808 or 909 with a little extra tone from EQing, and then some reverb. maybe a very low amount of distortion somewhere. It only sounds different to me because of other instruments.

There are tutorials on youtube that are relatively easy to find to get the basics. Me personally making synthdrums from scratch I like to use sytrus, but thats just my synth of choice, but drumaxx is kinda cool to, I just don't believe its $100 cool.
However when listening to a track and if you like a kick or something, sometimes the best way and easiest way to get the same sounding kick is to just sample that kick. Especially with "DJ Ready" tracks that have 16 or 32 bars of intro which is usually just the drums going. To me that's the easiest way to sample the kick out.
Charise Tjelmeland

Estella Waber
You can indeed, make kicks.
http://www.ismism.de/BazzISM.htm

Bazzism is a great program that lets you synthesise drums.
Drew Zamzow
http://www.djranking s.com/2013/02/1...ng-soundpacks/

this is Pro
Trey Brune
Hmmm. Maybe making is the wrong word. You can either record a real kick, or similar sound or tweak an existing sound. Either would work. The misconception people have about samples is that it's almost impossible to create a similar sound. Just as their name states, samples started out as recordings, be it first hand recordings or a sample of an existing recording. Most samples have undergone a lot of treatment and layering. Honestly, most kicks and snares in electronic music these days sound so distinct from the real thing because you're most likely hearing a layer of sounds that have been mixed together to sound like 1 thing.

In terms of this one particular kick. It has a good thump to it, not a ton of attack. If you were to record an actual kick you'd want to place the mic inside the kick drum a bit closer to the hole, giving it more body and less attack. My suggestion would then be to add a second mic at a small distance from the kick drum to capture the air being pushed out of the drum which adds more thump. Mix those two together, adding mic 2 to mic 1 with moderation. I would then probably add a simple 808 kick drum at a decent volume (not overpowering) to give it that short thin sounding attack. You'd probably want to EQ the actual mics to reduce low frequencies a bit so they don't conflict with the 808 but giving it plenty of low-mid frequencies to retain the air/thump (also makes it sound a bit cleaner). Once that's all done I would push the whole package through a compressor (with moderation) to glue it all a bit together and pull out the necessary attack you might still be lacking. A lot of people gate kick and snare samples, makes them sound more electronic and cut-off.

Another trick is to add a distinct reverb to a signal but then gate it so you only hear the reverb for the duration of the kick or snare. Makes it sound a lot less dry without adding too much spacial depth. But honestly, just experiment, that's how most cool sounding samples got made anyway.
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
you can, its just really really hard to make it sound legit
tried doing it once, thought it sounded good, compared it to a sampled kick, that was the end of that experiment haha
Era Roka

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy