tracks don't evolve

tracks don't evolve
Posted on: 02.04.2013 by Zulma Ramji
Hey guys,

I am noticing my tracks sound a little stale and they don't evolve over it's duration. I tried automating different values on filter, reverb, delay, attach, pitch, whatever, but they come off at I push too much for track to evolve - it doesnt sound natural. I try bring in/out different elements and spice up the track with instances of effects and on-off sounds but still i don't get to the same point where the track is engaging. If i take a 8 or 16 bars of the track it sounds good but i have problem making it sound good for the entire duration of the track. Any tips on producing?
I try to map ton of knobs on my mpc25 and record live as I play with them but i am not sure if that is the right approach.
example of a track i like how it is executed:
https://soundcloud.com/solee-music/solee-jonalu-original-mix-cut
Thanks
Zulma Ramji
Thanks Tarekith - your guides have really helped me in the past. I re-read them both now but I feel you don't cover the topic of sound itself in these two articles. I guess I am looking for tips on how to have evolving bassline or synth lead via automation. What are some of the tips on making these elements evolve over time in a subtle but interesting way? Thanks!
Zulma Ramji
Hey guys,

I am noticing my tracks sound a little stale and they don't evolve over it's duration. I tried automating different values on filter, reverb, delay, attach, pitch, whatever, but they come off at I push too much for track to evolve - it doesnt sound natural. I try bring in/out different elements and spice up the track with instances of effects and on-off sounds but still i don't get to the same point where the track is engaging. If i take a 8 or 16 bars of the track it sounds good but i have problem making it sound good for the entire duration of the track. Any tips on producing?
I try to map ton of knobs on my mpc25 and record live as I play with them but i am not sure if that is the right approach.
example of a track i like how it is executed:
https://soundcloud.com/solee-music/solee-jonalu-original-mix-cut
Thanks
Zulma Ramji
Thank you these are great tips! To be honest I am not sure how to map velocity to filter cutoff - i believe i know how to do it Massive but how would I do it for other plugins?
Monserrate Rupnow
That's basically what they were created for in the first place, so I guess it's no surprise

Another tip, don't sync your LFO's to your host DAW tempo, let them run free at odd intervals. A lot of times the best sounding stuff happens when things randomly interact, you can get some really awesome moments when you let a bit of chaos into the picture.
Thomasina Widmann
LFOs is the best solution if you ask me, sounds very natural if you keep them slow
Monserrate Rupnow
Well, I'm a big proponent of not having sounds stay static for too long in my songs, so there's a couple ways to approach this. You can either work your synths, or make your synths work for you. When I record my synth parts (for instance), I play them by hand and record everything as audio right away, even softsynths. This way even small mistakes and timing variations get recorded and can help keep things from getting too 'samey'. And I don't just use the keys on my controller, but I'll be tweaking and adjusting parameters while I'm playing, sometimes just using a mouse even.

But, I know not everyone wants to do it all by hand. In that case, things like really slow LFO's or envelopes on your synths can alter the sound in real-time for you, providing enough variation as the part plays that it doens't get stale. Or maybe you map something like velocity to a parameter such as filter cutoff, or effects depth. That way you can add variation to your sounds, without having to manually tweak those variations by hand.

Lots of different ways to approach this.
Zulma Ramji
Thanks Tarekith - your guides have really helped me in the past. I re-read them both now but I feel you don't cover the topic of sound itself in these two articles. I guess I am looking for tips on how to have evolving bassline or synth lead via automation. What are some of the tips on making these elements evolve over time in a subtle but interesting way? Thanks!
Monserrate Rupnow
Maybe these will help:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/ArrangingSongs.pdf

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Transitions.pdf

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy