New to producing.

New to producing.
Posted on: 18.04.2013 by Catrice Halwood
Hey guys, i'm planning on producing and djing but i have no idea where to start. I'm believeing on betting Ableton Live, i'm currently downloading the demo and stuff. Would you say that i buy the Initial or Standard? Also i've heard that a MIDI Keyboard is recommended, any special keyboard that you recommend for a beginner?

I have no idea on what to get and what not, so any suggestion is greatly welcome. Thanks in advance!
Anh Pagliuco
Originally Posted by Leinad
Thanks a lot for your answer guys! Now about the laptop... I'm believeing on something like a MacBook Pro MD101LL/A, it has 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor and 4GB Ram, will that be enough to properly produce music as a beginner?
Thats not very beginner at all! You'd do better with a cheap used PC laptop. Make sure you get something post 2011 and can handle ableton's specs.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by scattrrbrain
I took a totally different perspective than using DAW. I immersed myself in analog gear . I researched what I needed and bought a lot of second-hand and used gear off of craigslist, and even used guitar effect pedals. I bought my first SM57 and started creating my own individual samples instead of downloading "packs" and tried to be as creative as individually possible.

This I believe draws a giant line in creating your own sound. Especially since all the samples belong to you, and all the ideas behind the track were YOUR ideas.

Later on, I used DAW to map things and set things up so my life would be 1000x easier when recording things through my crappy little mixer I had. I slowly upgraded my stuff and minimized it so I only had what was needed for the creative process. I was doing a lot of soundtracks, which isn't really DJ-able music, but it was definitely 1000% my stuff. I was also very against using cuts or presets at the time.

In short, this helped me IMMENSELY to learn the gear for exactly what it was intended to do. Later I applied these techniques to Ableton and FL8 and really enjoyed the results of making dance music, which is what I do today.

I know a lot of people would say this is a waste of time, but believe about back in the day BEFORE fruity loops and protools. This is how most of the current "iconic" sounds were discovered.
I definitely dont see that being an approach for someone just starting. If they wanna start making full tracks somewhat soon they should be picking up just a Daw and learning that.
Catrice Halwood
Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel
Sure. More or less any machine these days, except for bargain basement cheap ones, will be powerful enough to produce on.

If you can spring for the 15" MBP, however ($1799), you'll get not only a quad-core i7, but also the larger display. Of course you can still get an external monitor for the 13". Screen real estate is very useful.
Yeah! Well i want to begin with something 'cheap', then later on when i get more experience i can invest more money on gear and hopefully a better laptop. The 15inch one was the first i looked at tho.
Caleb Demillo
Thanks a lot for your answer guys! Now about the laptop... I'm believeing on something like a MacBook Pro MD101LL/A, it has 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor and 4GB Ram, will that be enough to properly produce music as a beginner?
Sure. More or less any machine these days, except for bargain basement cheap ones, will be powerful enough to produce on.

If you can spring for the 15" MBP, however ($1799), you'll get not only a quad-core i7, but also the larger display. Of course you can still get an external monitor for the 13". Screen real estate is very useful.
Emelina Paglia
Originally Posted by JohnnyRico
Wow mate that is eerily similar to my experience.

Started with Reason, moved to Ableton then found my place with Logic Pro. The interface has a more user friendly and familiar feel if you've used mac computers for years. I also own a M-Audio Axiom 49
lol pretty sick!
Mardell Cundall
Originally Posted by robbyluca
Hey, so for starters, I'm not a pro lol

When I was at your stage (starting, being interested in producing) I went with Propellerhead Reason, which didn't last very long. I had no idea what I was doing or how anything worked so I looked for something more simple to use. The answer was Ableton suite, but that lasted me a couple of months. I actually learnt quite a bit, but I didn't like the interface so I tried Logic Pro because it's a pretty popular software for big well known producers. I haven't used anything else since. I love it!

I didn't use any MIDI keyboard for a long time, I used my computer keyboard, that's it. It was tough to get the feel of a melody but when you're starting off there's other things to worry about, like getting to know the program. I eventually got myself a little something that I also love! M-Audio Keystation Mini 32. I was debating between a 25 key or 49 key. 49 would be too big for me, no space, and I'm not a piano player. 25 was good, but 32 was perfect for my needs (I produce progressive house music). Start by asking yourself what you need, want, and are willing to pay and then start looking. For the record, my MIDI controller is nothing special lol It does nothing more than I need it to do.

So after you decide what you want, need, and are willing to pay, look around, but don't settle for anything. Watch reviews to see if it does the job for you and check out community s and ask people, but don't solely rely on peoples responses on community s. If I asked what people thought about my gear 80% of the people would believe it's garbage because it's probably garbage for their use, not mine.

Good luck!

Started with Reason, moved to Ableton then found my place with Logic Pro. The interface has a more user friendly and familiar feel if you've used mac computers for years. I also own a M-Audio Axiom 49
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by thepanache
If you've got a Mac I'd recommend downloading Logic Pro and get yourself a MIDI keyboard (You don't need to be too fussy with the keyboard, as long as it's MIDI and works within your budget) And an audio interface & a set of monitors.

Plenty of Logic tutorials on the web, community s and youtube.

This will get you going!
If you have a Mac, just open up Garage band that comes with it for free and do the same thing :P Thats how I started.
Catrice Halwood
Hey guys, i'm planning on producing and djing but i have no idea where to start. I'm believeing on betting Ableton Live, i'm currently downloading the demo and stuff. Would you say that i buy the Initial or Standard? Also i've heard that a MIDI Keyboard is recommended, any special keyboard that you recommend for a beginner?

I have no idea on what to get and what not, so any suggestion is greatly welcome. Thanks in advance!
Anh Pagliuco
Thats not very beginner at all! You'd do better with a cheap used PC laptop. Make sure you get something post 2011 and can handle ableton's specs.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by scattrrbrain
I took a totally different perspective than using DAW. I immersed myself in analog gear . I researched what I needed and bought a lot of second-hand and used gear off of craigslist, and even used guitar effect pedals. I bought my first SM57 and started creating my own individual samples instead of downloading "packs" and tried to be as creative as individually possible.

This I believe draws a giant line in creating your own sound. Especially since all the samples belong to you, and all the ideas behind the track were YOUR ideas.

Later on, I used DAW to map things and set things up so my life would be 1000x easier when recording things through my crappy little mixer I had. I slowly upgraded my stuff and minimized it so I only had what was needed for the creative process. I was doing a lot of soundtracks, which isn't really DJ-able music, but it was definitely 1000% my stuff. I was also very against using cuts or presets at the time.

In short, this helped me IMMENSELY to learn the gear for exactly what it was intended to do. Later I applied these techniques to Ableton and FL8 and really enjoyed the results of making dance music, which is what I do today.

I know a lot of people would say this is a waste of time, but believe about back in the day BEFORE fruity loops and protools. This is how most of the current "iconic" sounds were discovered.
I definitely dont see that being an approach for someone just starting. If they wanna start making full tracks somewhat soon they should be picking up just a Daw and learning that.
Emelina Paglia
Macbook pro, mac pro, or imac.
Catrice Halwood
Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel

Yeah! Well i want to begin with something 'cheap', then later on when i get more experience i can invest more money on gear and hopefully a better laptop. The 15inch one was the first i looked at tho.
Caleb Demillo

Catrice Halwood
Augustina Zulu
Logic, Reason and Live are all good choices. Now that Reason has added midi and audio, they all basically do the same thing. I've used all of them but have settled on Logic + Maschine. Push has me looking at live again. I'm not really fond of the closed plugin environment in Reason but I'd love to play with some of their new toys.

With all that said, what you really want to learn is sound synthesis and sampling. I started with an MPC2000 and a prophet Pro-1 and the skills I learned with that primitive kit have translated to every DAW I've used and even projects entirely outside of computers. On the synthesis tip learn the basics - oscillators, filters, modulation. In sampling you'll be learning a lot about drum kits - how they fit together, how to build them and lay them out so that they are usable with how ever you are sequencing. Once you have this down the songs will literally just start writing themselves.
Caleb Demillo
I would try to avoid going out and spending a ton of money on software right away. They are all just tools to do the same things more or less, you can't go wrong with Ableton, Logic, or even Cubase. I believe the two big ones are Ableton and Logic for electronic music.

Reason is nice, and is now somewhat expandable, but you still won't be able to run VST's or Audio Units.

If you are on a Mac, and have limited funds, Logic is an unbeatable value at $199. I bounced between Ableton, Logic, Reason, and finally settled on Ableton. I really like the session view workflow before jumping into arrangement.

As for a controller, I have an Axiom 49, and it's great. In addition to the obvious keyboard piece, it's nice to have sliders and knobs that will auto-map to whatever software instrument you are using. The Axioms do a nice job at this.

The one thing I've seen over and over is people say: Stick to one thing and learn it well. Of course, I didn't listen and went out and bought 50 plug ins and 3 DAW's, and never got anywhere because you are so inundated with options you get lost and don't even finish anything. So try not to do that
Emelina Paglia
Originally Posted by JohnnyRico

lol pretty sick!
Catrice Halwood
I've been reading different opinions from a lot of places about which DAW to begin with, some say Logic, others Ableton and practically most of the people is saying FL Studio, but i don't believe i'll be able to use FL Studio if i use Mac, that's other thing i have to decide, which laptop to buy.
Dannie Dimora
Get Dubturbo brah.

just kidding :P
I'd start out with garageband or fl studio.
Garageband as more of a game, fl studio will bring you into the daw world in a much more realistic way, and it's pretty fun to use, too
If you're going to start with more complex daws such as live, cubase, logic etc. you have to keep in mind that they have a longer learning curve than other software

The keyboard isn't a necessity, but if you already play piano or at least know your way around keyboard notes, it could come in handy. But i know many producers who still use piano rolls and mouse-placing their notes as their workflow, so it's not really vital
Anh Pagliuco

Mardell Cundall
Originally Posted by robbyluca

When I was at your stage (starting, being interested in producing) I went with Propellerhead Reason, which didn't last very long. I had no idea what I was doing or how anything worked so I looked for something more simple to use. The answer was Ableton suite, but that lasted me a couple of months. I actually learnt quite a bit, but I didn't like the interface so I tried Logic Pro because it's a pretty popular software for big well known producers. I haven't used anything else since. I love it!

I didn't use any MIDI keyboard for a long time, I used my computer keyboard, that's it. It was tough to get the feel of a melody but when you're starting off there's other things to worry about, like getting to know the program. I eventually got myself a little something that I also love! M-Audio Keystation Mini 32. I was debating between a 25 key or 49 key. 49 would be too big for me, no space, and I'm not a piano player. 25 was good, but 32 was perfect for my needs (I produce progressive house music). Start by asking yourself what you need, want, and are willing to pay and then start looking. For the record, my MIDI controller is nothing special lol It does nothing more than I need it to do.

So after you decide what you want, need, and are willing to pay, look around, but don't settle for anything. Watch reviews to see if it does the job for you and check out community s and ask people, but don't solely rely on peoples responses on community s. If I asked what people thought about my gear 80% of the people would believe it's garbage because it's probably garbage for their use, not mine.

Good luck!

Catrice Halwood
Thanks for your answer guys! I believe i will buy Logic Pro and download the Ableton Demo, in that way i can try them both and decide which one of them i like the most.

Before jumping into buying things i will learn how to use the software, but just to have an idea, what things would you recommend me to get?(Besides headphones haha)
Berta Baie
Originally Posted by thepanache
If you've got a Mac I'd recommend downloading Logic Pro and get yourself a MIDI keyboard (You don't need to be too fussy with the keyboard, as long as it's MIDI and works within your budget) And an audio interface & a set of monitors.

This will get you going!
If you have a Mac, just open up Garage band that comes with it for free and do the same thing :P Thats how I started.
Syreeta Piela

This will get you going!
Emelina Paglia

Good luck!

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy