Mastering bootlegs/mashups?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Mastering bootlegs/mashups?Reply
Mastering bootlegs/mashups?
Posted on: 01.04.2013 by Emelina Paglia
This is a simple question... should bootlegs/mashups be mastered? If it's best to master a mashup, does anyone have any tips on mastering a bootleg with just added vocals to a track? and also would it be a different technique if it was a beat over another beat? I know mastering isn't basic stuff, but I avoid it because of it and I'm sure I shouldn't.
Tobias Merrills
Originally Posted by Tarekith
I don't believe you need to "Master" them per se. You will likely need to lower the volume of the source tracks in your DAW to avoid clipping while working with them, which means that once you're done you'll probably have to raise the level back up. I'd try normalizing the final file first since that's the cleanest option. If you're happy with the final volume after that, you're done! Otherwise a very tiny bit of light limiting might be needed to raise the volume. Be careful though, the original song was already mastering so applying lots of additional compression or limiting is just going to make it sound flat and weak, even if it's louder.
Im so glad you said that limiting to much will make the bootleg sound flat. I was having that same problem. In logic it sounded great but when bounced it was a little thinner. However i do like to use limiting rather than Normalizing. So maybe just less limiting.
Emelina Paglia
This is a simple question... should bootlegs/mashups be mastered? If it's best to master a mashup, does anyone have any tips on mastering a bootleg with just added vocals to a track? and also would it be a different technique if it was a beat over another beat? I know mastering isn't basic stuff, but I avoid it because of it and I'm sure I shouldn't.
Tobias Merrills
Originally Posted by Tarekith
I don't believe you need to "Master" them per se. You will likely need to lower the volume of the source tracks in your DAW to avoid clipping while working with them, which means that once you're done you'll probably have to raise the level back up. I'd try normalizing the final file first since that's the cleanest option. If you're happy with the final volume after that, you're done! Otherwise a very tiny bit of light limiting might be needed to raise the volume. Be careful though, the original song was already mastering so applying lots of additional compression or limiting is just going to make it sound flat and weak, even if it's louder.
Im so glad you said that limiting to much will make the bootleg sound flat. I was having that same problem. In logic it sounded great but when bounced it was a little thinner. However i do like to use limiting rather than Normalizing. So maybe just less limiting.
Lang Abriel
Mr_Moo for the project that I am working on the vintage 1 sounded awesome. I'm only using my sennheisers since I have no space to set up my monitors at the moment but still a great improvement. Can't tell how the saturator is affecting the sound, probably due to the track and my headphones.

Patch - In the past when I didn't master at all I would have really low gains and lose almost all the low end. It might be the samples that you are using compared to mine but I would suggest atleast trying 'mastering' and you may see a difference. Just a thought, not saying your right or wrong.
Brunilda Kora
I never attempt to master my mash-ups. Just mix and eq each channel, and sometimes eq the master a little too.

My way - works for me.
Warner Rotberg
If you use Ableton, I find that if you chuck a "vintage 1" mastering suite on the master and then play around with the top and bottom on the urmmm, saturater? (i believe), you get something sounding half professional that is club speaker friendly. I do it all the time for re-edits/loops/dj mixes/etc.

If you know what a mastered underground/commercial track sounds like on your monitors/headphones, then as i say, have a play around with that mastering suite.
Genna Smithmyer
http://www.mixcloud.com/RickyDoreko/
Lang Abriel
I'm gonna bump this, I'm looking for some other tips...

Other specific tips to make the end mix better and some tips to clean up vocals of not so perfect acapellas.

Finally, I've heard differing opinions on normalizing. I understand what it does and tried it both on and off for some of my mixes. I find that by having it off I get a better sound. Any other opinions on normalizing?

Thanks
Rodolfo Pouchie
In this case, it's not mastering but properly mix and blend the vocals in the (already mastered) original track.

If you are doing a bootleg/mashup, it might be good just to use a soft limiter or even compressor to the master to blend in and glue the new mix together.
Monserrate Rupnow

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy