Help me out, how's this sound?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Help me out, how's this sound?Reply
Help me out, how's this sound?
Posted on: 04.05.2013 by Sheri Knoche
I've been trying to work more on my mix-downs and get a bigger and better sound. I am not sure what else I have to do so if you could give me some suggestions on what I could be doing better that'd be awesome, thanks.

I've played through my cars stereo system and the bass seems to disappear as I turn the volume up more and the synth is not as bright.

https://soundcloud.com/soulandcloud/sample
Sheri Knoche
Originally Posted by BiggChev
Considering what elon91 mentioned...

Kick:
Layer, Layer, Layer. Very rarely will you find ONE kick sample that'll suit your need perfectly. Layering, EQ, compression will definitely give it some punch and presence.

Bass:
Layering Mids and Subs are great way to get a nice distinct sound. Don't be afraid of FX and such, just don't get carried away with tweaking and lose focus on the actual sound.

Synth:
I actually like that synth sound, However...something sounds wonky about it. I can't place my finger on but I believe it's a timing thing. There doesn't seem to be cohesion between the rhythm of the lead and the 4-Floor kick. God, I really can't explain it. I listened to this thing about ten times and I really can't figure it out. To my ear, the first 8 bars are ok, but then it starts to drift, both the kicks and the melody. Couple that with the the fact that rhythmically it doesn't fit to begin with really makes this hard to establish a solid groove, and almost hard to listen to.

Suggestions:

QUANTIZE! I'm a multi instrumentalist, been making music digitally for 10+ years and I still use quantize/snap whatever. Especially as a beginner utilize all the advantages of the DAW. Watch some YT tutorials on making bass patches, and it'll give you an idea of what parameters contribute to certain aspects of your sound. On the Lead; maybe a sweeping filter or minute articulate type parameter tweak, will help give it more dimension.

Keep at it, and please correct me if I'm wrong about the timing thing. I feel like my brain's just playing tricks on after studying for my Calculus final this past week lol.
Thanks for giving a helpful answer. Kick is actually just a single sample, haven't really been layering kicks as much, but I guess I should start. Believe it or not everything is quantized, but where the notes are placed are kind of different. I tried modeling the melody after rolling trance basslines to try and do something different; so the notes are kind of arpeggiated on the last three 1/16th notes of each 1/4 note with the kick hitting on the first 1/16th.
Sheri Knoche
I've been trying to work more on my mix-downs and get a bigger and better sound. I am not sure what else I have to do so if you could give me some suggestions on what I could be doing better that'd be awesome, thanks.

I've played through my cars stereo system and the bass seems to disappear as I turn the volume up more and the synth is not as bright.

https://soundcloud.com/soulandcloud/sample
Sheri Knoche
Originally Posted by BiggChev

Kick:
Layer, Layer, Layer. Very rarely will you find ONE kick sample that'll suit your need perfectly. Layering, EQ, compression will definitely give it some punch and presence.

Bass:
Layering Mids and Subs are great way to get a nice distinct sound. Don't be afraid of FX and such, just don't get carried away with tweaking and lose focus on the actual sound.

Synth:
I actually like that synth sound, However...something sounds wonky about it. I can't place my finger on but I believe it's a timing thing. There doesn't seem to be cohesion between the rhythm of the lead and the 4-Floor kick. God, I really can't explain it. I listened to this thing about ten times and I really can't figure it out. To my ear, the first 8 bars are ok, but then it starts to drift, both the kicks and the melody. Couple that with the the fact that rhythmically it doesn't fit to begin with really makes this hard to establish a solid groove, and almost hard to listen to.

Suggestions:

QUANTIZE! I'm a multi instrumentalist, been making music digitally for 10+ years and I still use quantize/snap whatever. Especially as a beginner utilize all the advantages of the DAW. Watch some YT tutorials on making bass patches, and it'll give you an idea of what parameters contribute to certain aspects of your sound. On the Lead; maybe a sweeping filter or minute articulate type parameter tweak, will help give it more dimension.

Keep at it, and please correct me if I'm wrong about the timing thing. I feel like my brain's just playing tricks on after studying for my Calculus final this past week lol.
Thanks for giving a helpful answer. Kick is actually just a single sample, haven't really been layering kicks as much, but I guess I should start. Believe it or not everything is quantized, but where the notes are placed are kind of different. I tried modeling the melody after rolling trance basslines to try and do something different; so the notes are kind of arpeggiated on the last three 1/16th notes of each 1/4 note with the kick hitting on the first 1/16th.
Sydney Lashway

Kick:

Bass:

Synth:

Suggestions:

Guadalupe Eggins
the kick is kinda shitty, you dont have a good bass... didnt like the synth also.
but i guess you are a beginner you can look for my posts here from song to song i got better.
what i recommend for u is to keep and searching in youtube for guides tips and trick...
buy good synthesizers like "Massive" or "nexus" BUT u dont have to buy to sound more professional
u just need to keep on learning your software more and more

good luck
Karoline Allemand
Hey Mecloud,
Nice sample, that synth sounds nice. I believe you have a ducting issue, I believe your synth is being effected by the ducting, as for the bass it seems that you just need to play around with the ducting FX you have.

you can try Dada Life's Suagage Fatner plugin whihch will def bring out your bass.

As for you getting a better sound check out Nyonyxx who is offering 10$ mixing and mastering

And of course can't for get DJTT

Hope that helps you out,
PanPan

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy