Musician Looking into First EDM Production

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Musician Looking into First EDM ProductionReply
Musician Looking into First EDM Production
Posted on: 03.05.2013 by Alexandra Nerby
Hey all,

Haven't posted on here in quite a while, but thought this was a very helpful community, especially when I got started with controllerism and then switched to CDJs.

Anyway, long time musician, piano player and well as jazz saxophone for community theatre but I'd like to look into Logic to start some music production of my own. Kind of getting tired of playing everyone elses...

A few questions regarding buying logic:

I see Logic 9 is the current version. Would it be cheaper to but 8? Or is that not even available anymore?
I see it is called Logic Pro 9 and is $199. Does this come with everything I need or am I going to need to buy the samples packs, or anything else? Do I also need a midi keyboard or is there one built in that I could use via my laptop?

That's all I have for now I guess. Thanks for the help!
Emelina Paglia
Originally Posted by Gryz
Robby, I have read about moving all that content to an external HD to save space. Did you happen to do that as well?
No I did not, since I have enough space on my iMac and still plenty of space available after installing it. If it's possible for you to do that, then go ahead. I see no harm in that.
Alexandra Nerby
Originally Posted by BiggChev
Hey Gryz, so digging through the Steinberg site and comparing it to the info on the Apple site I'd say the Artist is the closest to Logic. Stay away from Elements you'll quickly outgrow it.

Honestly, I swear by Cubase and have used it since the old VST 32 days. I know you can cross-grade the Cubase versions.

At this point I'd say give either one a go. And again I can't reiterate enough the advantage of getting a key controller bundled with a DAW.

Hopefully this points you in the right diretions.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...e/line_up.html

Thanks again Chev,

I have a question about the bundled midi keyboard though. Wouldn't Cubase LE be so much of a downgrade from Artist 7? Or are you saying buy the bundle and then "upgrade" to Artist 7...which I am assuming costs less than just straight up buying Artist 7?

Also, are the VSTs in Cubase comparable to those bundled with Logic? Basically what I mean is, to start out, which one would have the most or best already included?

Thanks!
Emelina Paglia
Thanks. I see that there is about 20 gigs of Additional Content. Do you know off hand which ones are not applicable to the production of EDM so that I do not install them?
No, sorry. I downloaded everything.
Alexandra Nerby
Hey all,

Haven't posted on here in quite a while, but thought this was a very helpful community, especially when I got started with controllerism and then switched to CDJs.

Anyway, long time musician, piano player and well as jazz saxophone for community theatre but I'd like to look into Logic to start some music production of my own. Kind of getting tired of playing everyone elses...

A few questions regarding buying logic:

I see Logic 9 is the current version. Would it be cheaper to but 8? Or is that not even available anymore?
I see it is called Logic Pro 9 and is $199. Does this come with everything I need or am I going to need to buy the samples packs, or anything else? Do I also need a midi keyboard or is there one built in that I could use via my laptop?

That's all I have for now I guess. Thanks for the help!
Emelina Paglia
Robby, I have read about moving all that content to an external HD to save space. Did you happen to do that as well?
No I did not, since I have enough space on my iMac and still plenty of space available after installing it. If it's possible for you to do that, then go ahead. I see no harm in that.
Alexandra Nerby
Well I went with Logic. I believe I will also get the Novation Impulse 49, but maybe wait until I dabble a bit more with Logic. Thanks again for all the help guys!
Sydney Lashway
to start out, the plug-ins in Artist or LE are good, you will eventually want to expand and add some more plug-ins to your arsenal. I really can't decide for you...

The $200 for Logic is a great bang for buck investment

Cubase is just an amazing piece of software.

You really can't go wrong with either. I'd say keep digging through whatever resources you can and see which one you want to put your money on.
Alexandra Nerby
Originally Posted by BiggChev
Hey Gryz, so digging through the Steinberg site and comparing it to the info on the Apple site I'd say the Artist is the closest to Logic. Stay away from Elements you'll quickly outgrow it.

Honestly, I swear by Cubase and have used it since the old VST 32 days. I know you can cross-grade the Cubase versions.

At this point I'd say give either one a go. And again I can't reiterate enough the advantage of getting a key controller bundled with a DAW.

Thanks again Chev,

I have a question about the bundled midi keyboard though. Wouldn't Cubase LE be so much of a downgrade from Artist 7? Or are you saying buy the bundle and then "upgrade" to Artist 7...which I am assuming costs less than just straight up buying Artist 7?

Also, are the VSTs in Cubase comparable to those bundled with Logic? Basically what I mean is, to start out, which one would have the most or best already included?

Thanks!
Sydney Lashway

Alexandra Nerby
Thank you for the information Chev, very helpful!

So here is where I'm at. Debating Logic Pro 9 and Cubase...but which version of Cubase?

Cubase 7 is $500! While Artist 7 is $250 and Elements 6 at $100 looks like it doesn't come bundled with much. Is Artist 7 the one that is comparable to Logic Pro 9 which is $200?

I have looked online especially youtube, and it never really says which version they are using...just Cubase 5 or 6 mostly. So why muddy the water with the Artist and Element stuff?
Emelina Paglia
Thanks. I see that there is about 20 gigs of Additional Content. Do you know off hand which ones are not applicable to the production of EDM so that I do not install them?
No, sorry. I downloaded everything.
Sydney Lashway
if you search Logic on the apple site, it gives a pretty good run down of what's included.

It's a good piece of software to get started. I know plenty "big guys" like the stock plug-ins but it is capable of expansion. I second eventually getting a key-controller especially if you a piano player like me, the keyboard won't cut it after a while.

For the initial $200 plus say $100-$200 for a key-controller you've got yourself a pretty capable system that is also portable (assuming you are using a laptop).

I say, watch some YT tutorials, plus the Apple stuff (can be one sided) and craft your opinion decision from there.

ALSO:

There are some key controllers that come bundled with other DAWs such as Cubase LE and Studio One by Presonus. For the same $200-$300 investment you can get a comparable set-up.
Alexandra Nerby
Emelina Paglia
I doubt you can buy a lower version of it.

You can use your computer/laptop keyboard to compose music like a piano. I believe you'll eventually want to upgrade and get a small midi player, but it isn't necessary.

It comes with everything. You don't need to buy anything separately, but the virtual instruments on it are a bit boring. They're good for beginners, but eventually you'll want to have better synths, like Sylenth or Massive, etc.
Alexandra Nerby
Thanks alchemy. Yeah I don't want to start out with those real expensive ones. Does it come with any VSTs already? I mean for $200 I'm not sure what to expect.

And a midi keyboard..a must or not?
Luciano Hyppolite
I dont use logic, but from what I've heard it has some pretty cool effects such as compressors, eqs and such.
If you are a real good internet digger and you dont care about "the latest super $500 vst for making your meca dick in the ear dubstep bass" you can find very good free vst's and working your way around them will give you your own sound!

hope this helps!

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy