Simple question about recreating sounds

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Simple question about recreating soundsReply
Simple question about recreating sounds
Posted on: 12.05.2013 by Luanna Procino
Hello everyone,
I'm a 19 year old producer from germany and I'm new to this community . I just started making music.
Right now I'm making a track where I would like to incorporate some popular sounds from Knife party etc. together with my own style. I found this tutorial on youtube:

Is it legal to reproduce popular sounds like this (not sample) and also sounds from many other tutorials into your own tracks? I believe its ok and everyone does it but I just want to make sure because I don't want to upload tracks where I don't really own the rights for. Just for you to understand : I'm not entirely remaking one of their tracks and I am using different notes together with my own style.

Thanks for any replies.
Greetings
Emelina Paglia
Originally Posted by padi_04
Copying sounds is IMO one of the best ways to learn how sound design works.
+1 to that.

When people start off they have no idea how to make the sounds they want. Copying sounds will teach them a little on how to get the sound they want. Copy sounds, but play with the settings, try to change it a bit. Be creative.

But to answer your question, it isn't illegal.
Trey Brune
Originally Posted by Corbin Lied
out of everything I know is that no, its not illegal to recreate a sound of a popular artist. I do advise to not use tutorials like this at all though. Go learn how the software works in depth and then try making your own sounds. Theres no room in this growing EDM world for copycats.
I actually recommend most people to do some copying at some point. Though I do agree that the use of these tutorials is pretty pointless if you just copy paste. If you sit down and try to recreate a popular sound using minimal tools and just your ears, you will learn a lot faster than just fiddling with something until you get a pleasing sound. This way you'll learn how your tools work, so making original sounds becomes a lot easier.
Luanna Procino
out of everything I know is that no, its not illegal to recreate a sound of a popular artist. I do advise to not use tutorials like this at all though. Go learn how the software works in depth and then try making your own sounds. Theres no room in this growing EDM world for copycats.
Thanks for your answer! I decided to focus more on developing my own sound and not to use the sound from the tutorial. I still have to learn a lot about creating exactly the sounds that I want in my tracks. Right now I'm mostly looking through the presets in Massive and tweaking them a little bit. If you guys have any tips about how to better get along with Massive (other then reading the manuals) just let me know.
Luanna Procino
Hello everyone,
I'm a 19 year old producer from germany and I'm new to this community . I just started making music.
Right now I'm making a track where I would like to incorporate some popular sounds from Knife party etc. together with my own style. I found this tutorial on youtube:

Is it legal to reproduce popular sounds like this (not sample) and also sounds from many other tutorials into your own tracks? I believe its ok and everyone does it but I just want to make sure because I don't want to upload tracks where I don't really own the rights for. Just for you to understand : I'm not entirely remaking one of their tracks and I am using different notes together with my own style.

Thanks for any replies.
Greetings
Emelina Paglia
Originally Posted by padi_04
+1 to that.

When people start off they have no idea how to make the sounds they want. Copying sounds will teach them a little on how to get the sound they want. Copy sounds, but play with the settings, try to change it a bit. Be creative.

But to answer your question, it isn't illegal.
Nedra Fresneda
If that was the case, a lot of people would be in trouble for using Korg's M1 Organ 2 preset . As long as you don't use the same riffs or progressions along the sound you should be safe.

Trey Brune
I actually recommend most people to do some copying at some point. Though I do agree that the use of these tutorials is pretty pointless if you just copy paste. If you sit down and try to recreate a popular sound using minimal tools and just your ears, you will learn a lot faster than just fiddling with something until you get a pleasing sound. This way you'll learn how your tools work, so making original sounds becomes a lot easier.
Luanna Procino
Thanks for your answer! I decided to focus more on developing my own sound and not to use the sound from the tutorial. I still have to learn a lot about creating exactly the sounds that I want in my tracks. Right now I'm mostly looking through the presets in Massive and tweaking them a little bit. If you guys have any tips about how to better get along with Massive (other then reading the manuals) just let me know.
Luciano Hyppolite
reproducing sounds is not illegal, as it is not illegal to make a song with a guitar. as long as you make an original composition you wont have any problems
Thomas Nytes

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy