Finding Analog Equipment Tricky

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Finding Analog Equipment TrickyReply
Finding Analog Equipment Tricky
Posted on: 18.06.2013 by Laurinda Benya
Is it just me or is producing with analog gear quite tricky? I'm trying to write a bassline with my Sub Phatty and I'm finding it it difficult to get the timing on point with my kick. I can't just highlight and quantize the notes I play. I actually have to do take after take of recording to get it right, and I still haven't gotten it right.
Syreeta Piela
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
Welcome to the oldskool! Thats how we did it lol. or at least we would of sent midi from the computer to the synth and audio back into the computer.

The other way you could do it is to record your take, say an 8 bar take, and make adjustments to that and just loop it in your daw
This exactly.

The sound and grit of analogue gear with the fast workflow of a digital DAW. Playing something over and over again is a frustrating waste of time, and an un-quantized bass can sound nasty
Cindie Somoza
Originally Posted by AllDay
You need to experience some BC raves or something dude. They are one in the same completely. People playing guitars over someone playing a synth all while spinning a beat in the background.
art vs science (australian band) are a great example of live hard synths mixed with guitar and drums.

Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by JasonBay
Recording a band and capturing a performance is way different from writing a dance track.
You need to experience some BC raves or something dude. They are one in the same completely. People playing guitars over someone playing a synth all while spinning a beat in the background.
Cindie Somoza
Recording a band and capturing a performance is way different from writing a dance track.
I don't agree with this statement, but I could understand it, if the OP was talking about sitting at a computer with his mouse, clicking and clicking, but he's talking about an Analog instrument, so I really don't believe their is much of a difference, infact, I don't believe there is any difference at all.
Cindie Somoza
Never said to eliminate them completely, but if you happen to miss one note and yet the whole performance besides that is solid, why waste it then?
Talking to people who get paid to produce songs for other people on gearslutz. Every single one of them says recordall your main sounds, if its not right, do a retake. Once you go in and edit the arrangement it will sound more grid like.
This is something that was covered in Sound City (the dave grohl doco) which was one of the parts of the film that I actually agreed with, they talked about the introduction of digital and programs like Pro Tools into studios, and how you could just pick the 'best' bit from that take and the 'best' bit from that take, and actually mash it all together. They felt like it was cheating, as they would just record a straight take, over and over and over again, and the one they liked the 'best' made the cut, and more often than not, it was the first one, the one with the most raw power, the one with the most honesty.

This is my outlook when using any instrument, digital or analog, don't take shortcuts.
Tera Baragan
Never said to eliminate them completely, but if you happen to miss one note and yet the whole performance besides that is solid, why waste it then?
Talking to people who get paid to produce songs for other people on gearslutz. Every single one of them says recordall your main sounds, if its not right, do a retake. Once you go in and edit the arrangement it will sound more grid like.
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by Ham
I just view it as a cop out, mistakes are the greatest thing in music, why eliminate them?
Cindie Somoza
Why no? Maybe he doesn't want to be a pianist, but he still has the chops to get down his ideas recorded? If he was planning to play live then yeah, obviously he would have to practice, but he's just trying to capture ideas and and create music, not be a performer.

I believe Chriswoods has the right idea as that's exactly what I do. Just bang out some basslines, hooks, chords, and then go back and adjust to taste. Not sating you should lock them to the grid, but just go back fix any glaring mistakes.
I just view it as a cop out, mistakes are the greatest thing in music, why eliminate them?
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by Ham
No
Why no? Maybe he doesn't want to be a pianist, but he still has the chops to get down his ideas recorded? If he was planning to play live then yeah, obviously he would have to practice, but he's just trying to capture ideas and and create music, not be a performer.

I believe Chriswoods has the right idea as that's exactly what I do. Just bang out some basslines, hooks, chords, and then go back and adjust to taste. Not sating you should lock them to the grid, but just go back fix any glaring mistakes.
Cindie Somoza
The other way you could do it is to record your take, say an 8 bar take, and make adjustments to that and just loop it in your daw
No

Originally Posted by Tarekith
Yes, it's kind of weird having to practice until you can play your instruments huh?
Originally Posted by jackastro
Don't try to get it too "perfect". Make your playing fit a groove, not a grid!
Yes

Practice my man.
Laurinda Benya
Is it just me or is producing with analog gear quite tricky? I'm trying to write a bassline with my Sub Phatty and I'm finding it it difficult to get the timing on point with my kick. I can't just highlight and quantize the notes I play. I actually have to do take after take of recording to get it right, and I still haven't gotten it right.
Syreeta Piela
Welcome to the oldskool! Thats how we did it lol. or at least we would of sent midi from the computer to the synth and audio back into the computer.

This exactly.

The sound and grit of analogue gear with the fast workflow of a digital DAW. Playing something over and over again is a frustrating waste of time, and an un-quantized bass can sound nasty
Laurinda Benya
So I just figured out about Logic Pro's "comping" when recording live instruments. What an awesome feature. I can do 3-4 takes and take the best of each part and integrate it into a single seamless audio region.
Cindie Somoza
art vs science (australian band) are a great example of live hard synths mixed with guitar and drums.

Tera Baragan
Cindie Somoza
I don't agree with this statement, but I could understand it, if the OP was talking about sitting at a computer with his mouse, clicking and clicking, but he's talking about an Analog instrument, so I really don't believe their is much of a difference, infact, I don't believe there is any difference at all.
Georgina Schatzman
Cindie Somoza
This is something that was covered in Sound City (the dave grohl doco) which was one of the parts of the film that I actually agreed with, they talked about the introduction of digital and programs like Pro Tools into studios, and how you could just pick the 'best' bit from that take and the 'best' bit from that take, and actually mash it all together. They felt like it was cheating, as they would just record a straight take, over and over and over again, and the one they liked the 'best' made the cut, and more often than not, it was the first one, the one with the most raw power, the one with the most honesty.

This is my outlook when using any instrument, digital or analog, don't take shortcuts.
Tera Baragan
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by Ham
Cindie Somoza

Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by Ham
No

Cindie Somoza
No

Originally Posted by Tarekith
Yes, it's kind of weird having to practice until you can play your instruments huh?
Originally Posted by jackastro
Yes

Practice my man.
Pauletta Place
Gaynell Rydberg
I now no longer want analog gear . :P
Monserrate Rupnow
Teresia Janusch

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy