Why is this new track not sounding professional level?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Why is this new track not sounding professional level?Reply
Why is this new track not sounding professional level?
Posted on: 29.07.2013 by Patty Dauer
Heys guys here's a track that ive just completed. I have made the kick from scratch as well as mixed and mastered the track the best i could..could someone please give this a listen and tell me what exactly is missing from it for it to sound professional music...like what why is this not like any big record out there? are the transitions bad/sound design/bass/lead/mixing mastering etc etc..whatever your u believe lacks in the track..

Also any tips and advice for the track on the whole would be appreciated a lot..whatever part you like or hate..lemme know even if u believe it sucks

Thank you for your help!

https://soundcloud.com/sagar_s/976-algo
Patty Dauer
Originally Posted by grazz16
i dont believe anyone has mentioned the biggest issue yet....none of those parts really go together at all. The lead is clashing with the background synths big time, like it's all over the place melodically, which makes it just all sound like one big blended mess.

Technically speaking, people mentioned the drums being too weak, and i believe the lack of reverb too. The former makes the track lack power and drive, the latter makes everything stand out individually and doesn't blend anything together.

But first and foremost you gotta get those parts gelling together from a musical standpoint otherwise it wont make the slightest bit of difference how good the track is technically.
Okay thank you for the feedback. any tips on what type of sounds go together or gel well? As in some basic principles that i should be following so as to get my tracks sounding right on the whole melodically. Thank you.
Patty Dauer
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Main lead synth at 2:00 is a bit too loud in the mix, drowning out the drums. The kick is pretty weak too, a gentle bump (2dB?) with EQ around 80Hz might give it some more oomph. In general I believe the biggest issue is just that the synths are way too loud in the mix for something meant to be a dance floor tune. Get some more of the drums and bassline present in the mix, and pull back some of those cheesy synth lines some. Here's some more general mixdown tips that might help too:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mixdowns.pdf
wow thank you for such a detailed feedback. shall definitely work on this. Though i would like to ask is that how would i know that my kick is weak sounding or strong? Like, on what basis are you saying its weak..because when i hear it on my speakers i feel its quite tight and punchy..so how would i know its weak or strong? thanx
Patty Dauer
Originally Posted by AllDay
Tarekeith hit it on the head OP.

For my comment

Instead of making your sounds louder you should make them sound bigger otherways(resampling, splitting the frequencies, more motion).

hi, can please explain this in a bit detail..about (resampling, splitting the frequencies, more motion). how to split the freq and add more motion?
Tera Baragan
Main lead synth at 2:00 is a bit too loud in the mix, drowning out the drums. The kick is pretty weak too, a gentle bump (2dB?) with EQ around 80Hz might give it some more oomph. In general I believe the biggest issue is just that the synths are way too loud in the mix for something meant to be a dance floor tune. Get some more of the drums and bassline present in the mix, and pull back some of those cheesy synth lines some. Here's some more general mixdown tips that might help too:

For my comment

Instead of making your sounds louder you should make them sound bigger otherways(resampling, splitting the frequencies, more motion).
Patty Dauer
None of your synths carry power. All the sounds almost sound like pads. Theres something to begin with.

Next time post this in the mixes and productions section doe.

Oh sorry for the wrong post. Okay how do you suggest the make them carry power? like i have done everything..some amount of saturation then compression and then eqing... why does it still not have power? Thank you for your feedback
Patty Dauer
Heys guys here's a track that ive just completed. I have made the kick from scratch as well as mixed and mastered the track the best i could..could someone please give this a listen and tell me what exactly is missing from it for it to sound professional music...like what why is this not like any big record out there? are the transitions bad/sound design/bass/lead/mixing mastering etc etc..whatever your u believe lacks in the track..

Also any tips and advice for the track on the whole would be appreciated a lot..whatever part you like or hate..lemme know even if u believe it sucks

Thank you for your help!

https://soundcloud.com/sagar_s/976-algo
Patty Dauer
haha okay...now i know that im really really far yet...im up for it..may it take how much ever time..thanks
Berta Baie
Very difficult to say, depends on a lot of things: your musical background, how much u have read/tutorials watched, how much time in general have you put in in 5 months etc. Truth be told, based on that track, you've got a long way to go before reach your goal of a commercial quality track, but i have no idea how to rate your progress based on all those factors. But honestly, try not to get too caught up in things like that. If you are really dedicated to making it work, it'll come, you just have to work hard and be patient...very, very patient lol
Patty Dauer
also would you tell me how good was this track for 5 months of practice/my 9th track and not having monitors? i just want to know my progress and if I'm slow or not. This community is my only teacher. your honest opinion whatever may it be.
Patty Dauer
Thanks again tarekith...ill get back to you when i get better and ask for your opinion
Monserrate Rupnow
Basic music theory for electronic musicians:

http://www.worldofbryan.com/rsg2mt.pdf
Patty Dauer
Ok great thanks for the tips
Berta Baie
Well, some people around here are big fans of studying music theory for that, which is a good idea, but not totally necessary if you have an ear for this kind of thing. Still probably a good idea to check out some basic music theory around harmonies, circle of 5ths and what have you there.

Also, first and foremost, listen to your fav songs and really deconstruct them. Find out WHY that sound sounds as good as it does.
Patty Dauer
Originally Posted by grazz16
i dont believe anyone has mentioned the biggest issue yet....none of those parts really go together at all. The lead is clashing with the background synths big time, like it's all over the place melodically, which makes it just all sound like one big blended mess.

Technically speaking, people mentioned the drums being too weak, and i believe the lack of reverb too. The former makes the track lack power and drive, the latter makes everything stand out individually and doesn't blend anything together.

But first and foremost you gotta get those parts gelling together from a musical standpoint otherwise it wont make the slightest bit of difference how good the track is technically.
Okay thank you for the feedback. any tips on what type of sounds go together or gel well? As in some basic principles that i should be following so as to get my tracks sounding right on the whole melodically. Thank you.
Berta Baie

Patty Dauer
haha okay thank you anyways
Rose Schneeberg
I would believe that something like a reverb or chorus on the main melody would make it sound better and maybe a sidechained whitenoise would enhance the drop, but it's just my little opinion
Monserrate Rupnow
I have a mastering studio, it sounds weak here, not sure what else I can say
Patty Dauer

wow thank you for such a detailed feedback. shall definitely work on this. Though i would like to ask is that how would i know that my kick is weak sounding or strong? Like, on what basis are you saying its weak..because when i hear it on my speakers i feel its quite tight and punchy..so how would i know its weak or strong? thanx
Patty Dauer

For my comment

hi, can please explain this in a bit detail..about (resampling, splitting the frequencies, more motion). how to split the freq and add more motion?
Tera Baragan

For my comment

Monserrate Rupnow

Patty Dauer
None of your synths carry power. All the sounds almost sound like pads. Theres something to begin with.

Oh sorry for the wrong post. Okay how do you suggest the make them carry power? like i have done everything..some amount of saturation then compression and then eqing... why does it still not have power? Thank you for your feedback
Maryann Afoa
the track lacks width, it feels like everything is stacked in the middle and fighting for space.
Tera Baragan

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy