Writer's Block

Writer's Block
Posted on: 04.08.2013 by Sydney Lashway
So it's happened...

...I am openly admitting to having a TERRIBLE case of writer's block. I've been on the road for the past year and have been deeply inspired by the experiences. Yet, I have nothing.

1) Musically: I am without my guitar for the summer (my main writing tool) and also sans Maschine. Point & Click just isn't working for me. I was humming out melodies on my voice memo's on my i5 but guess what? That got jacked in Barcelona

2) Written Word: By no means are my written skills that of my musical skills, but again I have so much to write about but nothing comes out. I find myself spending HOURS staring at a blank Pages file to no avail.

Note: Now some people may agree or disagree but I'm a strong advocate of "Liquid Creative Lubricant". This has helped none.

So what I'm trying to say/ask is just drop a line in the thread or a short story about something...ANYTHING. A joke, quote, some new interesting music whatever.

Please and Thanks,
Chev
Nga Mcquarter
Originally Posted by botstein
I had a bunch of stuff stolen from me in Barcelona.
Man, I live in BCN xD I know that if you're a strenger that is not caring ALL THE TIME of his/her stuff, it's pretty easy to get robbed in the city centrum. The city is cool, but there's too much thievery.

My contribution to your problem is this: loose yourself in your city. discover new places. meet people you hadn't seen before. find a new way home. DON'T HAVE A PLAN AND LET THINGS FLOW. better if you run with some inspirational music on your ipod after a saturday afternoon on the streets everything seems much more clear to me, it gives me new ideas to write and produce about and gives me another point of view of the life. kinda inspiring, kinda majestic, kinda epic, kinda whatever. that's my advice, I hope I could help you!
Le Prouty
Originally Posted by Tarekith
This. It's easy to feel like it's giving up, but I believe of it as recharging.
Especially after a evening s sleep. I've always heard that people are far more creative in the morning
Monserrate Rupnow
Originally Posted by MarioMHJV
Sometimes you just have to say f*ck it, step away for a while and let your inspiration swell.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by BiggChev
1) Musically: I am without my guitar for the summer (my main writing tool) and also sans Maschine. Point & Click just isn't working for me. I was humming out melodies on my voice memo's on my i5 but guess what? That got jacked in Barcelona
I had a bunch of stuff stolen from me in Barcelona, too.

Maybe you need to go have some fun? I believe all artists need to have a life on which it's worth commenting.
Sydney Lashway
So it's happened...

...I am openly admitting to having a TERRIBLE case of writer's block. I've been on the road for the past year and have been deeply inspired by the experiences. Yet, I have nothing.

2) Written Word: By no means are my written skills that of my musical skills, but again I have so much to write about but nothing comes out. I find myself spending HOURS staring at a blank Pages file to no avail.

Note: Now some people may agree or disagree but I'm a strong advocate of "Liquid Creative Lubricant". This has helped none.

So what I'm trying to say/ask is just drop a line in the thread or a short story about something...ANYTHING. A joke, quote, some new interesting music whatever.

Please and Thanks,
Chev
Nedra Fresneda
Follow the link in my sig.

The last track I finished (not including work project) was a few months over a year ago where I just felt totally drained. I have a few things to tell/translate so I'm back is business as soon as I get my new kit next week.
Nga Mcquarter
Originally Posted by botstein
I had a bunch of stuff stolen from me in Barcelona.
Man, I live in BCN xD I know that if you're a strenger that is not caring ALL THE TIME of his/her stuff, it's pretty easy to get robbed in the city centrum. The city is cool, but there's too much thievery.

My contribution to your problem is this: loose yourself in your city. discover new places. meet people you hadn't seen before. find a new way home. DON'T HAVE A PLAN AND LET THINGS FLOW. better if you run with some inspirational music on your ipod after a saturday afternoon on the streets everything seems much more clear to me, it gives me new ideas to write and produce about and gives me another point of view of the life. kinda inspiring, kinda majestic, kinda epic, kinda whatever. that's my advice, I hope I could help you!
Sydney Lashway
^ I hear that. I drink a ton of coffee during the day lol. But I don't smoke
Rebbecca Fennell
personally I'm a sucker for six shots of espresso, a joint, and just focusing on different disciplines - if i can't write just spend a day sampling or programming synths, editing jam sessions down to usable loops
Sydney Lashway
Good stuff Tarekith,

I used to be up at 6am everyday, work on some tunes for a couple hours, then get some writing done. read the paper and be at work for 12pm. It's funny how you mentioned writing musically correlates to "writing." Until now I didn't realize that. I always figured they played off of each other but now it really clicks.

Usually when working on a song I believe "Where does it fit in a movie? What scene is unfolding?" This is what led me to writing. I'd write the scene or passage out and then a day later I had the music.

Oh well. This is going to be a busy work week, hopefully by the weekend I'll be nice and "recharged"

Thanks folks!
Monserrate Rupnow
Definitely for me, I can be up at 5:00 with a cup of coffee and good ideas. Never really been a evening own when it came to creativity, that was party time.
Le Prouty
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Especially after a evening s sleep. I've always heard that people are far more creative in the morning
Monserrate Rupnow
Originally Posted by MarioMHJV
Sometimes you just have to say f*ck it, step away for a while and let your inspiration swell.
Luke Loughin
Monserrate Rupnow
Otherwise, I say do your best to not stress or believe about it. All artists go through these phases, and they ALWAYS go away in time when you least expect. If you've tried forcing it for a couple weeks (or even months) and it still isn't working, stop. Just take care of other things in your life so that when you DO get on a roll again, all the BS is taken care of and you can chase that muse 100%.

BTW, I also find that when I'm musically dry on ideas, I'm also struggling with writing ideas.
Monserrate Rupnow
Here's some ideas I use when I run into this situation, just posted on this community not too long ago:

http://www.djranking s.com/2013/04/2...writers-block/
Sydney Lashway
@Botstein

Barcelona is terrible for pick-pockets and theft. Mind you I had just left the club, seriously intoxicated at 7am and passed out on the Metro.

Fun is a big thing. I've been having quite a bit of it I must say. I am pretty inundated at work right now but I try to leave that in the office.

Either way food for thought. Thanks bud
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by BiggChev
I had a bunch of stuff stolen from me in Barcelona, too.

Maybe you need to go have some fun? I believe all artists need to have a life on which it's worth commenting.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy