Laptop help needed for music production

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Laptop help needed for music productionReply
Laptop help needed for music production
Posted on: 30.10.2013 by Dylan Kockler
So I'm in the market of buying a new laptop and im down to 2 different options.

I know some might be significantly better than an other however I'd like to know which of these 2 options is the best laptop for music production based on price, like which is the best deal for the price

Asus Ultrabook 15.6 inch
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ult...LGQtY9FMdNFzN7

Macbook Pro with Retina 13 inch
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%25...1218815253960#

Should I opt to spend the extra $500 on the macbook or will the ultrabook be good?
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by Drade
Should I opt to spend the extra $500 on the macbook or will the ultrabook be good?
Pick the laptop based on the software you want to use when producing. Most of the major titles are available on either platform...but in case you want to use something that is only on PC or MAC...that can be a decision point.

I would get the PC and spend the "extra" $500 on a (pair of) external monitor(s) and the video card to drive them (if needed). I find that any reasonable PC is sufficient for music...but that pixels are always in short supply.
Dylan Kockler
So I'm in the market of buying a new laptop and im down to 2 different options.

I know some might be significantly better than an other however I'd like to know which of these 2 options is the best laptop for music production based on price, like which is the best deal for the price

Asus Ultrabook 15.6 inch
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ult...LGQtY9FMdNFzN7

Macbook Pro with Retina 13 inch
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%25...1218815253960#

Pansy Dascoli
I would not buy that PC as a comparable computer in comparison to the MacBook. 1.8GHz clock speed vs. 2.4GHz is a big difference. The lower the clock speed the higher latency you will have if you record using an external audio card. I understand the desire to have a mobile recording platform but is it necessary. You can easily purchase a desktop that is more powerful than either of them and upgrade it as new technology becomes available. If you are dead set on a mobile production platform I suggest searching around thoroughly. The Mac vs. PC debate with music production is falling to the wayside. There are many DAWs that are available on both platforms and Windows has more exclusive DAWs. Apple's Logic Pro X is a nice bit of software but isn't everyone's cup of tea. I say really weigh your options, what do you really need computer wise? And just in case anyone believes I'm just bashing Apple my current computer is a 15.4" rMBP: 2.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.... I'm speaking from experience. Unless you really want to use Logic weigh your options.
Sheryl Stpreux
MacBook Pro! HANDS DOWN! Don't cheap out and try to save a few hundred bucks! The MacBook will be the better machine going forward for years to come.
Ming Devis
128 gb is not much at all unless you plan on having allot of stuff on an external. That kind of takes away the whole portability thing though. I still believe the basic 13inch macbook pro (non retina) is a good all rounder.
Tonita Rasool
I'd say pick a laptop with a lot of memory. My 128g Macbook Pro is totally full of music related things (+my DJ music), I have like 4g left, and i would love some extra 100g or so.
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by Drade
Pick the laptop based on the software you want to use when producing. Most of the major titles are available on either platform...but in case you want to use something that is only on PC or MAC...that can be a decision point.

I would get the PC and spend the "extra" $500 on a (pair of) external monitor(s) and the video card to drive them (if needed). I find that any reasonable PC is sufficient for music...but that pixels are always in short supply.
Ervin Calvery
Get the Mac! Are you kidding?!

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy