Serato /Ableton ..what will it be ???

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Serato /Ableton ..what will it be ???Reply
Serato /Ableton ..what will it be ???
Posted on: 07.01.2009 by MadMan Ajms
I have a hopes it will be a new application of something like will offer a lighter side of Ableton FX and a few new DJ tools fx, up to 8 tracks of Serato DJ/controller tracks and ability to import .asd Live tracks , etc..The interface will look like a mix of Live and Itch/SSL. . One can simply choose mp3's and spin them, warp them, ...add clips and all be in perfect sync..It will not be a production tool, but more of a play back only tool for `SSL/ ITCH dj's..Maybe we know next week at Namm, 2009.

Roberto Viccione
Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker
MSRP Traktor Scratch Pro: 699
MSRP Serato Scratch Live: 499
Yeah, that one was my bad. It's the education version that kept getting brought up Oh well.
Yuonne Cauthron
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct
Right, but to just do that for existing users wouldn't break them. New users, different issue. Traktor Scratch Pro and Serato Scratch Live are comparable prices using a quick Google search. The price would have to go up for everyone else, not necessarily for standard users.

I believe I've hijacked this thread long enough.
Yuonne Cauthron
Originally Posted by JesC
I hear you about Rane making quality mixers, but 1500 is steep for a 2 channel battle style mixer that controls Serato/Adds FX/Video.
I'm not saying it's not overpriced. I'm just saying it'd be silly business tactics for them to strip away a revenue stream. lol

plus that whole "can the soundcard handle it" question.
juan garcia
Originally Posted by claudek
I do not believe it will be a VST..but who knows.
But wonder if and when it comes out, Ritchie will put the Traktor back in the barn and switch back
to Live/Serato
yeah i doubt they would make it a VST but perhaps along the same design.
Xavier Emanuels
Theres no doubt the potential is pretty huge !

One thing i am seriously worried about though is that Abletons midi implementation isnt that crash hot(despite what you may hear on other community s) and Serato's midi implentation we all know isnt that crash hot.

So when they come together are we still going to get a shocking midi implementation ?

No doubt i will be watching it with alot of interest though.
Roberto Viccione
Yeah, that one was my bad. It's the education version that kept getting brought up Oh well.
MadMan Ajms
One more thing I love about Serato is excellent customer support and nice team..
MadMan Ajms
I believe we forgot a main word here.. Ableton..
Ableton does not suit to only hip hop dj's on two mixer line channels.
Ableton is about creativity and Serato is about solid digi dj'ing.
The two together will bring both themes together for a new level of dj'ing
with ease and stability. New tools for 2009..Maybe some new dj dedicated
innovative effects that make even "Beatmasher" bored.
I dunno but I have some feeling something fresh and big is about to emerge.
If not, I dunno anymore who works at these companies...The potential is huge.
Yuonne Cauthron
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct
Right, but to just do that for existing users wouldn't break them. New users, different issue. Traktor Scratch Pro and Serato Scratch Live are comparable prices using a quick Google search. The price would have to go up for everyone else, not necessarily for standard users.

Roberto Viccione

Yuonne Cauthron
yeah, but herein lies the problem. the cost of serato all lies in the hardware.

If they charged only 400 dollars for the new hardware they'd go broke, fast! especially if it was newer harder, better, faster, stronger. (and more than ever)

the price would HAVE to go up.

edit: however, if they magically made a new box for 200-400 that gave me effects? hell yes i'd be down. You'd have me screaming how serato is teh bomb really loudly
Roberto Viccione
Well, of course, I'd laugh too. But they don't have to. If they, instead, said "As a loyal customer it'll only cost you $400 to get the new effects, or you can just upgrade the software and not use the effects" then would you jump ship? My only point is that there are other options that could entice newer users easier than the ones they are using. :-)
Yuonne Cauthron
right, but you pay 499 for the SL1. an upgraded SL1(SL2?) would most likely cost 699+. And honestly, if they told me I had to drop 700 bucks to get effects or whatever, I'd laugh and get an Audio 8.
Roberto Viccione
I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm not saying they should have to spend $500 to use the new version of Serato. But they are eventually going to have to upgrade their soundcard, I'd believe. I mean, it's been around for a while and technology has increased leaps and bounds around it.

But to say to Serato users "You can keep using what you have and we'll support it, but if you want to upgrade to the next version (like 2.0) it'll cost you $300" then no, I don't believe that everyone will jump ship, as long as they believe it's worth it. They didn't for Traktor.

And I don't believe it'll strip away the revenue stream. I'm sure there are a LOT of DJs out there who would have chosen, or would switch to, Serato if it had effects. And that doesn't remove the advantages OF the Rane mixer.
Yuonne Cauthron
Originally Posted by JesC
I hear you about Rane making quality mixers, but 1500 is steep for a 2 channel battle style mixer that controls Serato/Adds FX/Video.
I'm not saying it's not overpriced. I'm just saying it'd be silly business tactics for them to strip away a revenue stream. lol

plus that whole "can the soundcard handle it" question.
Cristian Carmona

Yeah, I love that fact that the software is free. But I wouldn't mind paying $99 to get bulit in FX into the program. I would bet that alot of the dj's that dont have the 57, wouldnt mind forking out the cash too.
Yuonne Cauthron
It might also be a matter of how much that little soundcard can handle. That little 1.1 card is busting it's butt!

and try to tell all the clubs/djs out there they have to spend another 500 bucks to use the new version of serato.

they'd lose customers like MAD to traktor.
Roberto Viccione
I just believe that it's a really high price point for the only option to upgrade. If they offered a scaled model I believe that would be a better selling point than $500 gets you one, $1500 gets you more.

Quick Edit: Not arguing Rane's quality at all
Yuonne Cauthron
2 things.

1. That _is_ serato's selling point. The software is free. each different piece of hardware adds on different functions to the software.

2. I doubt they'd shoot themselves in the foot (when video mixing and and FX are the main reasons why people buy the 57) by giving away the FX for free.

Yes it's expensive, but rane has _always_ sold to the high dollar. with their main customers being clubs, not individuals. I've seen more clubs with serato installed, than individuals who have bought it.
Roberto Viccione
Well, I don't know if it's a selling point that effects cost approximately $1500 in addition to the software itself. Just sayin
Yuonne Cauthron
SSL has effects already...

You need the TTM57SL for them to appear, but they're there.
Cristian Carmona
1st off I'm not flaming, I am currently in the market in buying a SSL box (So if you have one for sale PM me)

I believe what's going to get added into the next serato update is a fx colum similar to traktor either at the top or the bottom where the cross fader is at. 4 to 8 fx, Flanger, Reverb, Phaser, Delay, Filter High/Low Pass, Echo Fade Out Fx that Hip Hop dj's use when they go from 1 track to another, its done on the radio & clubs all the time.

Serato is over due with adding some type of on board FXs, almost every damn dj program has them.

How can you be considered the "Industry Standard" and no have fxs. If thats the case and SSL is the standard, Traktor, Virtual DJ, PCDJ, MixVibes and so on need to strip the programs of FX to follow what the "Industry Standard" is doing.

I believe that the reason why Serato didnt add any fx in the past was due to Min. Spec required to run Serato would skyrocket and alot of Serato dj's would have to get new computers and they wanted to avoid the backlash. Here are the spec from ther SSL site

Mac

1 GHz G4
1 GB RAM*
1024 x 768 screen resolution
OSX 10.3.9 or higher
Intel Macs require Scratch LIVE version 1.5 or higher
Windows

1.5 GHz PC
1 GB RAM*
1024 x 768 screen resolution
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher
Windows Vista requires Versions 1.7.2 or higher
We recommend Windows XP over Vista
juan garcia
But wonder if and when it comes out, Ritchie will put the Traktor back in the barn and switch back
to Live/Serato
yeah i doubt they would make it a VST but perhaps along the same design.
MadMan Ajms
SSL sound card for me sounds very good..EXCELLENT and stable as rock!. If it said 24 bit , and USB 2..., one would not know the difference.These cats know how to get some awesome sound out of 1.1 usb..Why change it..?? All the app needs is fx and Live loops, elastic audio for perfect syncs..it would be damage@
Yuonne Cauthron
Ritchie will put the Traktor back in the barn and switch back
to Live/Serato
He gets paid too much for traktor. lol
Yuonne Cauthron
Originally Posted by darrel855
Hopefully they maybe come out with a better sound card .
Unlikely. Serato has discussed this many times with people. a very small part of their customer base wants a 24-bit usb 2.0 mega awesome super wicked interface.

bottom line? Serato doesn't really need it. Serato is one of the least expensive DVS systems. I'd be PISSED if they raised the price by 200 bucks for something I'd never use. (I'd get use out of it, I'm just saying I bet that's how 90% of their customer base would feel)
MadMan Ajms
to Live/Serato
juan garcia
maybe it will be something similiar to how deckadance can be run inside of ableton as a VST?
Anushka jayamaha
Rule of thumb. If you say "it would be cool" Serato almost definitely won't do it. haha.

They're such catty b*tches when it comes to features and such. It took us sooo long just to get auto loops or midi control.
I guess that has to do with alot of their customer base who are still into the vinyl snobbery . Hopefully they maybe come out with a better sound card .
MadMan Ajms
I agree, but then again Serato SSL is the best selling digi program system on the market still..We see..I believe they have to do something with fx soon and this collaboration is not a joke...what could they not be doing? I mean only adding Live looping or elastic audio to SSL? nahhha... I doubt it..It will be large if Ableton take control.
Yuonne Cauthron
Rule of thumb. If you say "it would be cool" Serato almost definitely won't do it. haha.

They're such catty b*tches when it comes to features and such. It took us sooo long just to get auto loops or midi control.
MadMan Ajms
hmm..maybe I thought this too, but these two companies are really into stabilty, so the likes of two apps running together may not be their approach.Not everyone has the desktop space for two apps together as well in a club. I believe one app collated as one.. Live 8 with Serato tracks control ..would be dope.
Would be cool though..we see.
Yuonne Cauthron
I was just talking to Bento about this.

I doubt they'll come out with new software. My bet?

A Serato 2 channel rewire, with live BPM detection from the current serato bpm to control ableton's master BPM.

Serato is VERY minimal in their approach, so I doubt they'll get all fancy like tons of DJs are hoping.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy