Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Which CDJ is best to work with for SSLReply
Which CDJ is best to work with for SSL
Posted on: 09.09.2011 by Jamison Petkovich
from my budget my choice are between

Pioneer CDJ 800
Pioneer CDJ 400
Pioneer CDJ 350
numark ndx 800

or if you have any other CDJ suggestions please do ...

thanks tom
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by mostapha
Seriously
Dorie Scelzo
Seriously
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by dope
@Fullenglishpint
I'm using your bump to ask you a question. When on this thread first page you said

What do you call native support ? USB/HID ?
If the answer is yes, why is that so much nicer than timecode ? What's bad with timecode ?

Thanks in advance
Hi, sorry for the delay.

Native support is what they call HID control over USB. This is how it's set up:

Essentially you're using your CDJs as controllers, no need to connect the RCA cables. It's better than TC because you can use all the CDJ features such as looping within serato, master tempo activates keylock, track info is displayed on the CDJ screen and you can browse with the scroll wheel. Also in my experience it's more accurate for cueing, and if you press cue the waveform on the laptop screen actually goes back to the start.

It's great, but as others have said you do want to make sure you know how to deal with TC as well because you can't guarantee up to date CDJs at a venue.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by DJ ATX
How about the CDJ900? Its a got a sound card built in for Scratch Live
Just to avoid confusion, the CDJ-900 has a sound card but the interface itself is NOT compatible with Serato Scratch Live. SSL only works with a certified Rane interface.

You can use CDJ-900s as HID controllers for SSL (and they work very well indeed) but not as audio devices.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Seriously
Dorie Scelzo
Seriously
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by dope
@Fullenglishpint
I'm using your bump to ask you a question. When on this thread first page you said

If the answer is yes, why is that so much nicer than timecode ? What's bad with timecode ?

Thanks in advance
Hi, sorry for the delay.

Native support is what they call HID control over USB. This is how it's set up:

Essentially you're using your CDJs as controllers, no need to connect the RCA cables. It's better than TC because you can use all the CDJ features such as looping within serato, master tempo activates keylock, track info is displayed on the CDJ screen and you can browse with the scroll wheel. Also in my experience it's more accurate for cueing, and if you press cue the waveform on the laptop screen actually goes back to the start.

It's great, but as others have said you do want to make sure you know how to deal with TC as well because you can't guarantee up to date CDJs at a venue.
Sharri Kenimer
What's bad with timecode ?
I have the CDJ1000MK3's, If scratching, you will encounter sticker drift
(In SSL Relative mode) on a CDJ. I don't believe you'll experience any
sticker drift in HID mode, and you most certainly won't experience it
with time code vinyl....
Alexandra Nerby
I have Native Support on my 400s, but still choose to use the Audio 4 as their soundcard. Nothing wrong with the CDJ ones, but it's just personal preference.
Kasi Marget
Yeah, if your CDJs have a built in soundcard no external soundcard needed. That seems cool at first glance but when you have to play outside your loved bedroom, then, CDJs as MIDI controllers are a mess.

If you don't know what are the CDJs at the gig you are going to play, or if you have mapping issues, configuration issues etc, it's a mess. And you can't come in the booth with your own CDJs under each arm. MIDI control is awesome for home, but not for touring/mixing outside home.

DVS, you plug few RCAs and it's over.
Kiyoko Wellisch
You don't have to wire up your soundcard with native support, do you? That'd be a nice change from that hassle. Assuming I'm correct, I dunno.
Kasi Marget
@Fullenglishpint
and the native support is soooo much nicer than using timecode.

Thanks in advance
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by DJ ATX
How about the CDJ900? Its a got a sound card built in for Scratch Live
Just to avoid confusion, the CDJ-900 has a sound card but the interface itself is NOT compatible with Serato Scratch Live. SSL only works with a certified Rane interface.

You can use CDJ-900s as HID controllers for SSL (and they work very well indeed) but not as audio devices.
Teodoro Woolever
How about the CDJ900? Its a got a sound card built in for Scratch Live and natively supported by Serato and Traktor...and VDJ for that matter.

But I own a Denon DNS3700. So that one gets my vote.
Rena Estabrook
For timecode, the Technics DZ1200.
Dione Haimes
Plus the 400s are portable as well,

but my $0.02 is never buy 350's, a mate has them, the FX on the mixer is TERRIBLE, the "exact" BPM is normally a mile off, and theyre just generally crap players.
Julissa Serrone
I got a pair used for 450.00 (for the pair). Best 450.00 I ever spent. In HID mode they work awesome with SSL.

....agreed though, the jogs are not the smoothest, a little plastic feeling to them, but functionality wise they are pretty damn good.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Seriously
Xenia Gorin
Denon 3700's is the answer to all your needs.......
Dorie Scelzo
Seriously
Matthew Urtel
Denon 3700s /thread
Dione Haimes
350's arent a touch on 400's, a bar i play in sometimes has 400s and they are brilliant little players, 350s just suck imo.
Alexandra Nerby
Does anyone know all the models of CDJs that support native mode for Traktor? I know that the 400s do, since that is what I use, someone just said, 350 as well.

I am going to get one more to add to my 4 channel until I have a complete set haha. I am looking at the 800mkII at the moment, but don't want to upgrade from Pro to Scratch. I like the Native Support much better.
Tatum Ansaldo
They have crappy jogs though. For the money you might as well get a controller.
Ina Laurenson
get the 350's, after all, they are the upgrade to the 400, plus they look great and serato supports them in hid now
Jamison Petkovich
i agree with full english, unless your getting constant gigs, for the bedroom cdj 2000's are just totally uneccesery
Tatum Ansaldo
Just got my second CDJ-850. Love them. In SSL they work fantastically, you've got the big pio jogwheel and pitch fader but I got them for
Cristian Carmona
the cdj-1000 are ok with dvs, but overall best bang for the buck with features are the cdj-400. CDJ-2000 are a joke, unless you show up to a gig with a thumb drive.
Vernie Beharry
Been a while since I've posted anything in the community s. . .but now I'm in the Serato parts of the community s (My cup of tea!). . .

Pioneer's will always rule the scene, as they are pretty much standard in major venues. By me being a Technic 1200 / vinyl junkie, I always loved the feedback from vinyl. I believe the best CDJ IMHO is the Denon DN-S3700. . .I especially liked the Hybrid Mode for DVS set-ups. . .

just tossing my $.02 in.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Gryz
Politely disagree
They are indeed CDJs, just perhaps not as evolved as the newer standards that cost 2-4 times as much. I have no need for all those extra features and would never justify buying $1000+ decks for a few features I can do in Traktor.
If he's going to use a DVS anyway, I agree whole-heartedly. But he didn't list used CDJ-1000s as an option.

CDJ-350, 400, and those numark things don't feel like real decks any more than my CDJ-200s did
Alexandra Nerby
The 800s are the closest decks on your list to not sucking. The rest of them are not worth buying, and anyone who says differently has never played on real CDJs.
Politely disagree
They are indeed CDJs, just perhaps not as evolved as the newer standards that cost 2-4 times as much. I have no need for all those extra features and would never justify buying $1000+ decks for a few features I can do in Traktor.
Xenia Gorin
Is take my Denon 3700's over those Pioneers any day............I mean like anything they have there pros & cons but I like a spinning platter.

Just sayin.....
Huey
Dorie Scelzo
The 800s are the closest decks on your list to not sucking. The rest of them are not worth buying, and anyone who says differently has never played on real CDJs.
Alexandra Nerby
400s here as well. Got refurbed for a steal and actually don't even believe they were used by anyone before Pioneer realized there was an issue. Not a stinking fingerprint on them when I got them. Love them to death and haven't had an issue ever. Might even buy 2 more!
Julissa Serrone
I have 400's and they work PERFECT in HID mode. I'd get those over the other ones because you have three free buttons you can map on them. Second choice would be the 350's because you can use rekorderbox with them and SSL now supports them in HID mode.
Xenia Gorin
Have you checked out the Denon 3700's.......don't sleep on those.

Good Luck and test them all if you can
Huey
Lisa Lochotzki
There's no problem to get CDJ400 parts from any decent supplier.
Tatum Ansaldo
I believe you can probably still get parts for 400s, and those would be my suggestion as well since they have native HID support with SSL.

I picked up a single CDJ-850 the other day (found a great price), and the native support is soooo much nicer than using timecode.
Jamison Petkovich
could get the cdj 400s no probelm but they would be used but if they were to brake what would be the case are the part still avalible
Cristian Carmona
if you could find the CDJ-400 i would go with those. I personally used the 800s with timecode and they worked great, just the cue points would drive me nuts. CDJ-400 all the way.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy