Thinking of switching from a S4 to VCI-400, some questions

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: Thinking of switching from a S4 to VCI-400, some questionsReply
Thinking of switching from a S4 to VCI-400, some questions
Posted on: 01.04.2012 by Fady Soliman
Looking at the videos out for the VCI-400 and actually getting my hands on one at the Toronto DJ Show (it wasnt hooked up for some reason) and having a friend of mine trying to buy my S4, I'm believeing of switching to the 400 EGE.

Couple of questions for those who have one and using it with a mac:
1) what the the best latency setting you can get with a mac?
2) with the EGE model can you customize all the midi controls as with the regular 400? Do you have the options as using it like the regular 400 with the upgraded firmware?
3) how are you liking your 400? pros? cons?

I would make the switch in no time if it had booth out and of course there is a firmware upgrade to using two channels as a stand alone mixer which I love.

thx!
robin loo
Originally Posted by tbox
does any one no if i can buy the VCI-400 EGE in europe
no you cant. this is a DJTT-only unit which cannot be purchased anywhere else.
Kellee Stohrer
Originally Posted by weltraumpapst
you can map anything you want to the vci400. it's a normal midi controller..

this will help you get started : http://www.traktorbible.com/en/t2_commandfinder.aspx
thank you so much i am going to get 1 be 4 i had a vci 300 and i could not re map any thing
robin loo
Hi Can you also map the quant botton on the vci 400 like the S4

this will help you get started : http://www.traktorbible.com/en/t2_commandfinder.aspx
robin loo
Thank you see if this link works http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hC0ZDzs14uU
that's a mobile link.. here you go:

robin loo
hi can some one help me i would like to buy the new vci 400 but i would like to no if you can do dub fx and use my voice to the music like on the S4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...
thank you and sorry for my english
the video link is broken, but i believe i know which video you mean. the vci400 has mic inputs and the middle section with the 4 buttons and the small fader can be mapped to the loop recorder so yes you can do vocal loops on the vci.
Jeanene Bartmess
DJTT is planning on releasing the EGE firmware for normal vci users to upgrade their device..
Have you heard any more about this btw? It seemed like it was a total go some months back based on the posts by Ean, however it has since gone quiet.

When I enquired via email last week I was told by DJTT "we don't have any upgrade kit plans at this time."
Leighann Kashat
Originally Posted by Skerrplunk
* BIGGEST complaint - The Play button on the left side of the fader and the Cue Pause button on the right side of the fader are way too close. I have accidentally hit them multiple times while mixing which totally messes me up. On the S4 you don't run into this issue. I'm adjusting and am being more careful but am terrified of doing this during a gig.
Same thing happened to me when I first got it, but once you get used to it (since the VCI is more tightly laid out than the S4), it works like a charm!
robin loo
no you cant. this is a DJTT-only unit which cannot be purchased anywhere else.
Kellee Stohrer
Kellee Stohrer

thank you so much i am going to get 1 be 4 i had a vci 300 and i could not re map any thing
robin loo

Kellee Stohrer
robin loo
that's a mobile link.. here you go:

Kellee Stohrer
robin loo
hi can some one help me i would like to buy the new vci 400 but i would like to no if you can do dub fx and use my voice to the music like on the S4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...
the video link is broken, but i believe i know which video you mean. the vci400 has mic inputs and the middle section with the 4 buttons and the small fader can be mapped to the loop recorder so yes you can do vocal loops on the vci.
Kellee Stohrer
Bessie Larr
Well it will be after the VCI-400 EGE sells out, at least that would make business sense. Then after a small waiting period. They'll probably say they're in negotiations with Vestax about it. I would say expect it at about a year after the VCI-400 launch (whenever that is I can't remember).
Jeanene Bartmess
DJTT is planning on releasing the EGE firmware for normal vci users to upgrade their device..
Have you heard any more about this btw? It seemed like it was a total go some months back based on the posts by Ean, however it has since gone quiet.

When I enquired via email last week I was told by DJTT "we don't have any upgrade kit plans at this time."
Leighann Kashat
Originally Posted by Skerrplunk
* BIGGEST complaint - The Play button on the left side of the fader and the Cue Pause button on the right side of the fader are way too close. I have accidentally hit them multiple times while mixing which totally messes me up. On the S4 you don't run into this issue. I'm adjusting and am being more careful but am terrified of doing this during a gig.
Same thing happened to me when I first got it, but once you get used to it (since the VCI is more tightly laid out than the S4), it works like a charm!
Merry Piesik
I own both the S4 and the VCI-400 EGE. I have my S4 in my office and use the EGE at home. There are pro's and con's to both but overally I'd have to say the EGE is better.

Here are the concerns though that leave me feeling a bit disappointed in the EGE:
* Headphone volume seems too low to me... maybe I'm going deaf but when I'm playing out I find myself turning the volume all the way up. On my S4 it would feel too loud even if I'm blasting the music through the main speakers and my monitors.
* The pads themselves don't appear to be as responsive as on my S4. I've noticed this when cue point juggling.
* The EGE appears to go into the red more easily than on the S4.

When you get your EGE, please let me know what you believe of the headphone volume, main volume, button responsiveness, and the location of those buttons on either sides of the fader. Hopefuly you don't run into these same issues.

Now to end on some positives... I LOVE how much this adds to my creativity during mixing. It gives me so many ways of varying my mixes, adding texture to my sets, etc. I love having all 8 cue points easily available. The platter effects are great. I love the design of the EGE, it feels rock solid, etc.
Fady Soliman
will do once mine gets in my hands
Sebastian Schimmer
Can you all chime in on the sound quality, how it is better than the S4? In what way? How about the headphone sound also?

Unless, I read wrong. Thanks
Fady Soliman
I had my hands on the 400 at a show and did notice a big difference in quality, felt very sturdy and tight. I also liked that it was a bit smaller than the S4 and had bit less space but not as bad as the denon. this and the fact that a good friend of mine was bugging to buy my S4 is what made my decision. But I did enjoy my S4 and would still recommend it. Gonna post more info once my 400 shows up!
Donella Bentch
Yesterday I tested a sample of S4. Even if he is made of plastic is serving very well. The jog wheels are much more accurate than the Vestax. The integration of the mapping is really top. In particular, the sample player integration is solved great. I believe this mapping is not copy be placed on the Vestax. The Vestax is much more flexible. The S4 original mapping is not changeble. Nevertheless, the S4 is already a fine machine but I'll stick with my Vestax.
Tillie Sliman
Former S4 owner here, sold it to get a DJTT edition. I honestly wasn't super thrilled with it at first, it felt cramped compared to the S4 and I felt like a surgeon mixing on it compared to the dnx1600. I felt that there was a lot of redundancy in DJTT's mapping and that the sample decks got shortchanged, that's GOTTA change when 2.5 is out and stable enough to use. However it's grown on me alot as I've learned my way around it and I can appreciate the build quality and sound quality alot more. Once your fingers get used to it the feel and workflow is really quite nice. As far as the platters they need some adjusting in the mapping to improve accuracy, it's possible but scratching is pretty out of a question, not that I'd condone it on most any controller though...
Doug Bieling
Ok, i saw the statement above that, when you want to remap the S4 you lose the tight integration with Traktor (the nice feeling jogs). By buying an VCI400, are you not doing the same? The jogs are a bit rubbish arent they when compared to something like the s4?

MMM
Fady Soliman
Sweet! thx!! Placing my order now!!!! Humm might get blue ones for the FX also.....
Leighann Kashat
I haven't put much thought in the headphone volume compared with the S4, but it does sound great

The EGE comes with a USB cable (not DJTT one) and you can replace the black chroma caps with any other color from the chroma cap range which you have to buy seperatly (gonna replace my black FX knobs with Blue ones that are on it's way!)
Fady Soliman
Originally Posted by Lilja
I actually sold my S4 because of it's lack of midi-mapping options without loosing it's main pro: it's tight integration with traktor. With the VCI-400 EGE, you can map to any software along with it's awesome mapping and thanks to that: I can run it along with Ableton live and still have all the options to change the pad and jogwheel modes.

As for how I like it? It looks great, feels great, great soundcard, insane mapping, and being able to route it's audio to ableton plus mapping it alongside with Traktor: It's by far the best controller Iv'e ever bought.

So do the right thing and sell your S4! and buy an VCI-400 EGE before they run out of stock!
How is the headphone volume and quality of the 400 compared to the S4??? I find the S4 is not as good in volume and sound quality as my EVO5.

Also does the EGE come with the usb cable or do I gotta get that separately?
I would like to get blue chroma caps for the gain knobs but dont see an option to buy them for the 400, can i just use any vestax knobs listed??

Im ready to buy once these questions are answered!!! Thanks!!!
Bessie Larr
Originally Posted by groovemixer
Another questions (most likely more to come!!) Can you customize how the buttons light up? I know with the S4 some crazy cool setup were done with the lighting of the buttons.

Also a long shot here but is there more colors to choose from for the light buttons I noticed in some videos the buttons light up green yellow and red. Also with ppl using Ableton the lights were moving to the beat on the sample pads.

thx again
Since this is a midi controller all that can be accomplished through custom mapping. How to do that I personally do not know. It is possible though.
Fady Soliman
Another questions (most likely more to come!!) Can you customize how the buttons light up? I know with the S4 some crazy cool setup were done with the lighting of the buttons.

Also a long shot here but is there more colors to choose from for the light buttons I noticed in some videos the buttons light up green yellow and red. Also with ppl using Ableton the lights were moving to the beat on the sample pads.

thx again
Leighann Kashat
I actually sold my S4 because of it's lack of midi-mapping options without loosing it's main pro: it's tight integration with traktor. With the VCI-400 EGE, you can map to any software along with it's awesome mapping and thanks to that: I can run it along with Ableton live and still have all the options to change the pad and jogwheel modes.

As for how I like it? It looks great, feels great, great soundcard, insane mapping, and being able to route it's audio to ableton plus mapping it alongside with Traktor: It's by far the best controller Iv'e ever bought.

So do the right thing and sell your S4! and buy an VCI-400 EGE before they run out of stock!
Fady Soliman
sweet! I'm believeing of ECE because of the color and knobs but gonna hang in till the firmware is upgradable to use as a stand alone mixer and see how ppl like it. Hope it comes out soon my friend is buggin me to sell him my S4.
robin loo
1) i run my normal vci at about 10ms
2) the EGE is still a normal midi controller, so yes you can customize it. DJTT is planning on releasing the EGE firmware for normal vci users to upgrade their device..
3) i really like the controller, havent played too much with it, cause i'm still waiting for this fw release

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy