Songs start to jump!

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: Songs start to jump!Reply
Songs start to jump!
Posted on: 23.06.2012 by Serena Bazille
Hi!
Hope you will understand my english...

I have a big problem with my controller. When I scroll through the tree list, my songs start to jump when I press the shift button and turn the round button! only when shift + round button is used.

I've tried to delete the mapping. Installed it again without any help ...
I have tried other mappings but with the same problem.
I have deleted traktor and installed again. but still the same problem.

So it looks like there is something wrong with the controller and nothing wrong with the software that I have used.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by Roy Van Dahl
I believe I found out the error I'm more convinced that it is my sweater that comes on the jog wheel and trigger the problem. For I have set the jog wheels to be as loose as possible because I have the opportunity to take back spin etc, so it is a small gesture from the sweater enough to trigger the problem. I adjusted the jog wheels to be a little firmer and could not then trigger the same problem anymore

So looks like everything was just a problem that I personally made, but really good to find out.
good to know. hearing weird issues like this usually makes me a bit anxious because it makes me question if i know everything that's going on in my own mapping (which i usually believe i do) and wonder if maybe i didn't test thoroughly enough. happy to hear though that this was just a combination of misunderstanding and "sweater error" haha
Serena Bazille
Originally Posted by Stewe
Sweater error... lol
I know... pretty embarrassing.... This has become a new "error" to talk about at lunch. "Have you heard about the new sweater error?" hahaha
Kellie Myrum
I believe I found out the error I'm more convinced that it is my sweater that comes on the jog wheel and trigger the problem. For I have set the jog wheels to be as loose as possible because I have the opportunity to take back spin etc, so it is a small gesture from the sweater enough to trigger the problem. I adjusted the jog wheels to be a little firmer and could not then trigger the same problem anymore

So looks like everything was just a problem that I personally made, but really good to find out.
Sweater error... lol
Serena Bazille
Originally Posted by flashflooder
this is very weird. when reading this at first i thought you were confused with the Browse Encoder push+move which controls your Favorites while Shift+Browse navigates through Trees and if you did both at the same time it would definitely be confusing.

now i'm reading that it sounds like something very odd is going on since you can get a song to rewind and make weird noise using shift+pitch or shift+button (browse encoder push?). the fact that it is not a consistent repeatable issue makes me believe it is hopefully fixable.

are you maybe touching the jog wheels in this case without realizing it? i'm pretty sure in both the djtt and my mapping that i made shift+jog wheels scroll through the entire track quickly. however, i could see this being misinterpreted if done by accident.
Yes it is the shift + browse encoder. I'm pretty sure I do not touch the jog wheels. But I got a thought now. Maybe jog wheels are set to be too sensitive, so maybe my sweater hit the jog wheels and it is enough to have an impact?
Jodi Lacerra
I press the shift button on the VCI-400 controller. I have no knowledge of MIDI so I do not know how to find out if there are conflicts in the mapping. But the problem usually comes after about an hour or two. And it does not happen every time I press the shift button. When I used Traktor 2.1.3 problems sounded like a scratched CD. When I use Traktor 2.5.1 with flashflooders MIDI mapping, then the problem is even more obvious. The song rewind all the way back to start when I press shift+button or shift+pitchfader...
this is very weird. when reading this at first i thought you were confused with the Browse Encoder push+move which controls your Favorites while Shift+Browse navigates through Trees and if you did both at the same time it would definitely be confusing.

now i'm reading that it sounds like something very odd is going on since you can get a song to rewind and make weird noise using shift+pitch or shift+button (browse encoder push?). the fact that it is not a consistent repeatable issue makes me believe it is hopefully fixable.

are you maybe touching the jog wheels in this case without realizing it? i'm pretty sure in both the djtt and my mapping that i made shift+jog wheels scroll through the entire track quickly. however, i could see this being misinterpreted if done by accident.
Kellie Myrum
It seems that can be a midi issue but with controller. Go to controller manager and click "learn", now use browser and check which midi note and CC is it sending. Then compare it to your friends VCI and see if those assignments are maybe different, if so you can be sure your t-shirt got noting to do with it.
Serena Bazille
Toevening the error came back. So there is no sweater error, I used a t-shirt today
But bad humor aside...

I followed very carefully when I pressed shift + browser encoder and saw that I did not hit the jog wheels and the same error came... I have a friend who has the same controller, so I borrowed it as a backup controller toevening . I used his controller and never experienced any error. So there has to be something wrong with my controller and no MIDI errors as previously thought...

So this must surely be a warranty issue?
Jodi Lacerra

good to know. hearing weird issues like this usually makes me a bit anxious because it makes me question if i know everything that's going on in my own mapping (which i usually believe i do) and wonder if maybe i didn't test thoroughly enough. happy to hear though that this was just a combination of misunderstanding and "sweater error" haha
Serena Bazille
Originally Posted by Stewe
Sweater error... lol
I know... pretty embarrassing.... This has become a new "error" to talk about at lunch. "Have you heard about the new sweater error?" hahaha
Leeanna Ayla
Wow.
Kellie Myrum

Sweater error... lol
Serena Bazille

Serena Bazille
Originally Posted by flashflooder

Yes it is the shift + browse encoder. I'm pretty sure I do not touch the jog wheels. But I got a thought now. Maybe jog wheels are set to be too sensitive, so maybe my sweater hit the jog wheels and it is enough to have an impact?
Kellie Myrum
If it constantly jumps back to stare it might have something to do with seek position/direct-0.000 if mapped in... Only a thought.
Jodi Lacerra
I press the shift button on the VCI-400 controller. I have no knowledge of MIDI so I do not know how to find out if there are conflicts in the mapping. But the problem usually comes after about an hour or two. And it does not happen every time I press the shift button. When I used Traktor 2.1.3 problems sounded like a scratched CD. When I use Traktor 2.5.1 with flashflooders MIDI mapping, then the problem is even more obvious. The song rewind all the way back to start when I press shift+button or shift+pitchfader...

Serena Bazille
Dorcas Bassignani
is the shift button a hardware button? or modifier button in the mapping?

if it's hardware you may need to replace the controller as it may be sending out another signal that is interfering with everything else.

if it's part of the mapping, check that there aren't any conflicts in the mapping.

given the spec of the mac you're using i can't see why there'd be any issue there. unless you have a resource heavy program running in the background?
Serena Bazille
I have sent an email to djranking s for some days ago about my problem. Are they very slow to answer the mail?
Serena Bazille
I still have the same error. And then I've done everything you have said. I have also noticed the same error when I press shift + pitch fader. So the error seems to come from the shift button. Have now also tried on another PC, and get the same error ...
Could it be a problem with the controller?
Serena Bazille
OK. Thanks for the quick reply I'll try this out later toevening . Giving you the answers tomorrow on how it works.
Germaine Bernadin
I second the above!
Leeanna Ayla
I've tried switching USB cable without any help. I use flashflooder midi mapping. I installed it in the Traktor 2.5.1. I used the import button in the preference and so I went into the controller manager - device and chosen VCI-400SE Deck Selected LED - Generic midi (all ports). In-Port has been chosen "all ports" and Out-Port has been chosen "all ports" ...

PS: Had the same problems with Ean Golden's mapping as well. And this was in the Traktor 2.1.3
You need to set the in/out ports to the VCI-400 and check that all of the other mappings are set to they're specific controller. If you have a knob or button that sends the same midi note on two different controllers Traktor doesn't know which one you're pressing unless you tell it via the in/out ports.
Serena Bazille
I've tried switching USB cable without any help. I use flashflooder midi mapping. I installed it in the Traktor 2.5.1. I used the import button in the preference and so I went into the controller manager - device and chosen VCI-400SE Deck Selected LED - Generic midi (all ports). In-Port has been chosen "all ports" and Out-Port has been chosen "all ports" ...

PS: Had the same problems with Ean Golden's mapping as well. And this was in the Traktor 2.1.3
Leeanna Ayla
It sounds like you may have a mapping conflict. Find whatever is mapped to what's giving you problems and delete it. You may also have in/out ports incorrectly set on other mappings.
Brenna Welbes
Originally Posted by Sean_Boy87
... surprised Bhajan hasn't sorted you out yet :P

Funny thing is ... I got this sweet controller (first one iv'e ever owned or even played with) and I don't even have a PC remotely capable of properly running Traktor so I'm using my own ghetto mapping for VDJ until I get my new laptop in a few weeks. Still fun as hell! I just really enjoy helping people out and sharing whatever knowledge/suggestions I may have for their issues, cuz' I know if I were in their shoes, I'd be all like ...

@Roy Van Dahl - If I were you, I would try a different computer and/or different USB cable to try to further narrow down the problem.
Serena Bazille
I use Macbook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Corei7 with 4GB ram. My latency in Traktor is set to 7.8 ms. Have also tried up to 13.6 ms without any help...
Nicola Oatts
could be your latency maybe? surprised Bhajan hasn't sorted you out yet :P
Serena Bazille
No one can help me?

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy