who manual beatmatchs on their 400

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: who manual beatmatchs on their 400Reply
who manual beatmatchs on their 400
Posted on: 09.05.2012 by Nicola Oatts
hey guys .... just wondering who beat matches and what have you got your tempo set to? cant seam to find one where i can fine tune it good with, without having to use the shift button because its not in the tempo range
Nicola Oatts
Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough
hey

I have the pitch faders set to a very fine resolution and very small range, and have some keyboard shortcuts set with bigger jumps up and down. I can use the keyboard short cuts to get in the ballpark and then the very fine pitch fader to match it up exactly.

k
range as in say 4% .. how do you change the resolution?
Alexandra Nerby
Originally Posted by Nemes1s
I believe they're talking about the Vestax VCI-400 mate, not Pioneer CDJ-400's.
Yep, you're right...didn't look at the category this was posted in.

I will agree with you though, MIDI signals are no where near as accurate. They are fine for buttons and knobs, but seem to lose their accuracy when mapping them to pitch range...which is why I converted to HID.
Nicola Oatts
hey guys .... just wondering who beat matches and what have you got your tempo set to? cant seam to find one where i can fine tune it good with, without having to use the shift button because its not in the tempo range
Fady Soliman
Yup I did the same as Timmyboy and also mapped the rotary knobs closest to the pitch faders to very fine pitch adjustment. So basically one click of the knob moves the bpm .01. Works great if you enjoy mixing by ear and have long transitions!!!
Karen Riedman
Thanks for the tip on tempo adjustment. Just what I was looking for.
Nicola Oatts
i really wish i could understand all this haha
Jonathan Lokey
The resolution is already good enough with 14bit midi. I have my pitch faders mapped just fine for manual beatmatching.
Corey Ganer
Did the new software update improve on the resolution? I can't find a changelog...
Jonathan Lokey
I have been looking into the issuenof pitch resolution on the vci400 over the last couple of days and have found something very interesting toevening .

With the stock traktor mapping that the standard (non EGE) vci 400 comes with, the pitch fader is set to cc 18 on midi channels 3 - 6. If you also look in the user manual, the cc values it gives for the pitch faders is also cc 18 however if you try and midi learn the pitch fader in traktor you get a value of cc 50 + cc 01 on midi channels 3 - 6.

I did some testing with the pitch faders on both settings at a pitch range of 6% and found out that for the cc 18 setting you only got a pitch resolution of about 0.1% which i guess is a 7 bit midi message. For the cc 50 + cc 01 setting i found out that the pitch resolution is 0.03%. I am guessing that this is the 14bit midi that the controller is sending out over 2 midi cc values.

Seeing as the pitch resolution of a cdj 2000 is 0.02% i believe this should be acceptable for manual beat matching (i am about to have a lenghty mix so we will find out!). I also tested a pitch range of 8% and this yielded a resolution of 0.04%.

What this basically means is that if you are using the stock mapping and find that the pitch resolution is not fine enough for you go into the controller editor and find the tempo fader entry. Select the midi learn button and move the relevant tempo fader till you see the cc 50 + cc 01 setting. Then you should be good to go.
Jonathan Lokey
Does anyone know if the VCI 400 pitch resolution is high resolution? Is the beatmatching any better in Serato Intro or Virtual DJ?
Jonie Felgar
I have mines set to +-16 and I changed my sync button so it just adjusts pitch (doesn't try to mix for me) so if I cant get a match with the slider i can use the sync button, this means that I can always match speeds, sometimes tractor gets speeds wrong though and I just do it by ear in those cases
Nicola Oatts
Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough
hey

I have the pitch faders set to a very fine resolution and very small range, and have some keyboard shortcuts set with bigger jumps up and down. I can use the keyboard short cuts to get in the ballpark and then the very fine pitch fader to match it up exactly.

k
range as in say 4% .. how do you change the resolution?
Jewell Bisignano
I will cue the next song and hit sync then shut it off. This will make the BPM of the next track match the master clock. Then when I play the next track i use the outer wheel just to nudge it in place. I don't like the sync feature, it never seems to get it right and I don't feel like making all my grids perfect.
Classie Alvizo
double post.
Classie Alvizo
hey

k
Nicola Oatts
well i used to have a mixtrack pro so doing it manually was a bit of a pain in the arse because the low res faders could never get it perfect... so this is why i got this hoping it would be the bee's and ee's actually been a disappointment

and correct me if am wrong guys... but say i have a song which is say 126.00 but then i want it to 127 (+0.8 tempo) it will show up as 126.99 and if i want 128 it will be 128.01 this .01 prob wont matter am just very picky lol but if i was to use shift plus move fader i get 128.00 no problem.... and also here comes another rant hahaha sorry guys... if i was to move the fader back to centre position (+0.0) the bpm would be 126.04 but it loaded up as 126.00

maybe am not understanding this whole pitch and percentage stuff so if you can explain please do

cheers sean
Fady Soliman
I only beatmatch by ear at the moment just so i get use to the gear. I set my tempo faders to 8% and have an encoder set to adjust the tempo by .01 bpm. Works great!!!! I didn't like using shift with the fader then resetting it all the time.

More details here:
Alexandra Nerby
Originally Posted by Nemes1s
I believe they're talking about the Vestax VCI-400 mate, not Pioneer CDJ-400's.
Yep, you're right...didn't look at the category this was posted in.

I will agree with you though, MIDI signals are no where near as accurate. They are fine for buttons and knobs, but seem to lose their accuracy when mapping them to pitch range...which is why I converted to HID.
Jeanene Bartmess
I believe they're talking about the Vestax VCI-400 mate, not Pioneer CDJ-400's. I am actually believeing of moving FROM CDJ-400's to Vestax VCI-400. However am pretty concerned by what I'm hearing around these community s about performance of jog wheel response, jog wheel beat matching etc.

Our CDJ's have HID mode with Traktor and work perfectly, however the VCI-400 does not and uses MIDI which seems to be a real problem... At least this is my understanding.
Alexandra Nerby
I do, set to the lowest percentage of range...6% I believe. I don't seem to have any trouble beatmatching on them, which is why I refuse to upgrade to an 800 or 1000. I also use mine with Traktor sometimes and have them set to Native Support mode or HID. Much more control than control vinyl.

Turn off your BPM readout and phase meter in Traktor and enjoy!
Von Agate
i do sometimes just so i dont forget how to beatmatch and because a lot of times sync just screws up a transition .....i played records ten years ago and i love the sync button unlike how most people feel about this subject, and i switch tracks alot and sync just makes it easier......
my settings on pitch are 8% and sensitivity is somewhere around 5% but adjust frequently depending on the track playing because beatmatching is pretty difficult on the 400..... I hope they fix this issue in future updates cause it seems a lot of others have issues as well

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy